Thread: Roadster Question.. Anyone install a inner top liner?

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster

Roadster Question.. Anyone install a inner top liner?

Are there more than one on the market and if so which one works best?

My Cars
    '13 BMW 335i Convertible
    You can get one from the dealer that came preinstalled on later models. I'm not aware of any aftermarket pieces. I don't know how much the OEM version will cost you, or if it's even compatible with older tops.
    Coming Soon: 2013 335i M-Sport Convertible

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    The liner is compatible with all tops. There were only 2 variations of the soft top, and the differences were in how the canvas attached to the frame, and the vents along the main rib.

I'd love to get an OE liner, but they are pretty pricey, if RealOEM's retail cost is any indication.

My Cars
    See sig file
    Current price on the top liner appears to be $372.68, part number 54318410992 .

My question of the day is, for those that either have this as OEM or have installed it on their Z3, how do you like it?

One of my few complaints with my '98 Z is the noise in the car with the top up at any speed over about 50 mph. When I replace the top I plan to install a liner, I'd like to know what the experience of others has been.
    Pat
    ____
    '98 Z3 1.9L + '90 325iCab, '87 535iS_____________
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    My 01' has an OEM liner and I find the ride quite pleasant cruising at 80mph.

My Cars
    02 Z3 3.0 Roady , 02 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
    I like it, when i had my e30 vert it didnt have a headliner and it made the interior feel "cold" ...it makes it feel more like a coupe then a ragtop. Id say do it if you have the money to throw around.
    I never notice any top noise and ive driven up to 110 with the top up.

My Cars
    79 928
    Check ebay, they have a couple of aftermarket liners for sale for $250. I've thought about buying one just to make the interior look finished.

My Cars
    See sig file
    I'd rather have OEM, but I thought you had to have the top off the car to install the liner, if I'm wrong, I have a new part to order.
    Pat
    ____

My Cars
    02 Z3 3.0 Roady , 02 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpat View Post
    I'd rather have OEM, but I thought you had to have the top off the car to install the liner, if I'm wrong, I have a new part to order.
    I couldnt imagine why you would need to take the top off, though you have to take a plastic piece at the front off to tuck the fabric in. I havent really looked under it though, there is a pretty hefty insulation piece that covers everything pretty well.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3, 1979 Porsch
    My Z3 came with the liner so I can't tell you what the differences would be but mine is very quite at highway speeds and with the top up, the interior stays toasty-warm!
    Also as others have said, the interior looks more finished. I'd buy one if mine didn't already have it.......
    ---------------------------------------------------
    2005 Deathride 5-Pass finisher (129 miles & 15,000 ft of climbing)
    2003 California Triple Crown Finisher (3 Double Centuries in 1 year)
    Merlin Titanium road bike, Giant carbon fiber road bike, Torelli steel road bike, Litespeed Titanium mountain bike (you can never have too many bikes)

My Cars
    See sig file
    Thanks, gentlemen, I think that answers most of my questions.
    Pat
    ____

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I have a '97 with no liner.. took a trip Sunday and thought about putting the hardtop on just to cut down on noise and wish that i did. As far as the headliners, from what I have read there is a difference in the brackets or mounts with a certain (as usual) cut off date around "98-99. Cant remember where it was, but someone offered an aftermarket liner that was easy to install and looked great.. about $300 I think.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 z3
    although the liner may keep warm air in in the winter, it may also make the car broil in the summer. I don't know about anyone else, but my silver w/black interior/top retains heat incredibly during the summer. I don't know if it's the color, interior materials, the liner, or just the fact that it's a black soft top, but even after turning on the a/c for a while, the air might be cool but the interior still has a bunch of heat in it.

otherwise my liner's held up fine for 8 years now, it's starting to droop a bit, but nothing really noticeable. I'm still on the fence with whether I'll get a liner whenever I replace my top.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I doubt the liner would made it any warmer in the summer. If anything, I would think it would help keep a little of the heat out. If it got any hotter in there, I am sure my WSM would catch the leather shift boot on fire some afternoons.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by jac389psu View Post
    although the liner may keep warm air in in the winter, it may also make the car broil in the summer. I don't know about anyone else, but my silver w/black interior/top retains heat incredibly during the summer. I don't know if it's the color, interior materials, the liner, or just the fact that it's a black soft top, but even after turning on the a/c for a while, the air might be cool but the interior still has a bunch of heat in it.
    My thought is that it's the black interior that soaks up all the sun's heat. Even after the air in the cockpit is exchanged by the AC recirculation, the hot leather is still radiating extra heat for some time afterwards.

My Cars
    See sig file
    Quote Originally Posted by jac389psu View Post

otherwise my liner's held up fine for 8 years now, it's starting to droop a bit, but nothing really noticeable. I'm still on the fence with whether I'll get a liner whenever I replace my top.
    I'm pretty sure it's your top and interior color that's the culprit. The liner should help reduce the heat transfer. If I had a black top and interior, I'd buy one of those small covers that goes over the top and windshield unless I lived in a high crime area. I think I'd get as close to white for that as possible.

The part number I listed above is under the 1998 Z3 parts list, hope it fits. After I get it I'll post the answer to that question.
    Pat
    ____

My Cars
    1999 M & 2001 M Roadster

Any resolution to this?

Quote Originally Posted by fastpat View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's your top and interior color that's the culprit. The liner should help reduce the heat transfer. If I had a black top and interior, I'd buy one of those small covers that goes over the top and windshield unless I lived in a high crime area. I think I'd get as close to white for that as possible.

The part number I listed above is under the 1998 Z3 parts list, hope it fits. After I get it I'll post the answer to that question.

Did part number 54318410992 work on the '98? Is there ANYONE who's successfully put a soft top liner on a '98 or earlier Z3? I haven't found evidence of this anywhere.

Thanks!

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    I have a 2000 M with standard oem liner. The only drawback is space. It reduces headroom and needs help clearing the windblox rear wind screen when putting the top down. Otherwise, it’s very cozy and quiet. After twenty years, the liner’s insulated backing(foam material) is deteriorating and starting to flake off. The rest of the top and liner still look great.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I have a complete black top assembly (replaced in Nov 2015) with charcoal gray headliner assembly (installed new in 2016) that I removed when I got my hardtop if anyone would be interested or want to see some pictures. A nice new headliner is awesome to have.

My Cars
    1999 M & 2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyMaddox View Post
    I have a complete black top assembly (replaced in Nov 2015) with charcoal gray headliner assembly (installed new in 2016) that I removed when I got my hardtop if anyone would be interested or want to see some pictures. A nice new headliner is awesome to have.
    Would love to see it. Is the car a '98 or earlier? I am asking specifically about the year because my understanding is the headliner was only available mid-way through '99. I am trying to figure out if there is any difference in the mounting hardware or the liner just fits on all Z3's? The descriptions I see for the aftermarket headliners is that they are specifically for model years that had headliners. They don't say anything about retrofitting older models.

Thanks.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    My 2000 Z3M has the headliner. I suppose it provides some noise and thermal insulation value...but it ruins the reason I own the car !

Greg
    Tally Ho

http://wcwebs.net/johnson
    1988 O'Day 322 sailboat - (unlimited mpg)

2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster (25 mpg - but who cares)

2019 Subaru Outback
    (30+ MPG)