Thread: VANOS solenoid ??(cleaning)?? p1519 HELP

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 328isR.I.P

VANOS solenoid ??(cleaning)?? p1519 HELP

Ok,

I have had a CEL reading p1519 for the longest time now. I have been searching the forum trying to find the right thread with that magic answer to get rid of this damn code, but that has lead to no avail. I was told that I have a sticking VANOS so I figured I would start thereish. After reading around, I decided to see what I could do with my VANOS solenoid. I called my local dealerships and the cheapest i can get this part for is $198, so screw that, and I wasn't able to find the part at any local pick-a-parts. I read a thread in which a guy tried cleaning his VANOS solenoid with desil fuel, but he didn't really go into what success he had. I am wondering if anyone has been able to successfully clean their VANOS solenoid, and if so how? Also, any other help or advice on getting rid of this code would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. If I do become convinced that my VANOS unit itself is the problem, than I will be buying a new unit from drvanos.com.

Thank you for your time and help.

My Cars
    2015 M4
    Have you tried testing the solenoid yet?

Very easy to do, just need a big cresent wrench or 32mm open end to remove it, and then you can apply 12v to the plug, being careful to match the + and - correctly.

You should see the small pin in the solenoid pop out. If it does, then it's ok.

If not, let me know... I have a 'few'.
    Chris
    DrVanos.com

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 328isR.I.P
    I have not tried that.

Looks like i have something to do now.

Thanks for the help and if it doesn't work, than I will let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCarlisle View Post
    ...All of us right here in these forums is what makes BMW great. Yes, they engineered an amazing piece of machinery, but this is where you come to find the soul of the BMW.

. . .In here, we "own" our cars in every sense of the word. We squeak out out every ounce of performance, we maintain them to last longer than even the engineers that designed them dreamed possible, and most of the time we drive them like we stole 'em. We never embrass them with rice shit, and we make sure that every cosmetic mod follows the same style and level of class that the BMW name deserves.

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 328isR.I.P
    Ok, so I checked the solenoid and the pin sure enough did shoot up when the electrical current was supplied. However, should the pin shoot back down when the current is removed or should it just kinda chill there and slowly go back down or go back down at all?

My Cars
    2015 M4
    Quote Originally Posted by thejet51rj View Post
    Ok, so I checked the solenoid and the pin sure enough did shoot up when the electrical current was supplied. However, should the pin shoot back down when the current is removed or should it just kinda chill there and slowly go back down or go back down at all?

The pin only moves when current is applied, then it will be forced back in by the spring on the plunger underneath it. Sounds like your solenoid is ok.

You may actually have a stuck vanos.
    Chris
    DrVanos.com

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 328isR.I.P
    The pin was never forced back down once the current was removed. It would either slowly move back into the solenoid or i tried pushing it back in and there was a fair amount of resistance.

My Cars
    2015 M4
    No, I think you misunderstood. The spring part is in the vanos itself. If you pull the solenoid off you'll see a small plunger about 10mm across in the vanos that is spring loaded. That is what pushes the pin back when the current is removed.

What I meant was that with the solenoid installed, the spring loaded plunger will push the pin back in.

Hard to explain, but your solenoid sounds like it's working just fine.
    Chris
    DrVanos.com

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 328isR.I.P
    got it. Thanks for the input and help.

It's greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 328isR.I.P
    Just in case this might help somebody somewhere. I found out what was causing my CEL code. I changed the VANOS solenoid and presto, problem gone. After further investigation i found that my original VANOS solenoid was only shooting the pin out 3/4 of the way. It was a PITA but i'm glad that hurdle is done with.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCarlisle View Post
    ...All of us right here in these forums is what makes BMW great. Yes, they engineered an amazing piece of machinery, but this is where you come to find the soul of the BMW.

. . .In here, we "own" our cars in every sense of the word. We squeak out out every ounce of performance, we maintain them to last longer than even the engineers that designed them dreamed possible, and most of the time we drive them like we stole 'em. We never embrass them with rice shit, and we make sure that every cosmetic mod follows the same style and level of class that the BMW name deserves.