Thread: Transmission Problem? (yes or no)LONG

My Cars
    1995 M3

Transmission Problem? (yes or no)LONG

Here is the situation,

When I had an Autothority shortshifter, my car would not go into 1st gear from a stop at times. And while moving, I would have to really shove it to get it to go into first gear. From 1st to 2nd, it felt like I was doing two shifts; 1st to neutral then neutral to 2nd. (it was bad) All the other gears were notchy, but tolerable. When the car was off, I could not shift it into the different gears freely. And sometimes, I could not shift into random gears.

A few days ago, I installed Ron's shortshifter. Most of the side slop is now gone and shifting into 3rd, 4th and 5th is smooth. Initially, when the car was off, I could not shift the into certain gears. But once I started the car up, none of the gears would get stuck. Shifting from 1st to 2nd started to feel like one motion again. But that was the most notchy shift compared to the others.
    Well, yesterday things started to change. When the car was off, I could shift into all of the gears easily! It was super smooth, almost like stock. I was thinking that is was finally broken-in. But then, I started the car up and now it is almost impossible to get it into any of the gears while at a stand still. I have to push the lever soo hard to get it into 1st, I feel like Im gonna break something. But when I finally do get it into 1st and start to drive. Shifting becomes easy again. 1st to 2nd is somewhat notchy, but all other gears I am happy with. Im thinking it is a tranny problem now. The tranny doesn't slip in any gear. I could be in 4th gear going about 20mph!

Anyone have any suggestions? Driving is becoming soo annoying lately. How much would an average tranny repair be? or rebuild?

Thanks for taking the time to read and/or respond!

PS
    95 M3 with 65k miles.
    Ron's SS and clutchstop
    J.C. intake, chip, euro hfm
    and some other stuff...
    (ill put it in my sig later)

My Cars
    1995 M3
    (I posted this at a different board but didnt get too many responses)

Update...

I just got back from driving. After driving for awhile, +30mins the shifts get worse. When the car is cold, it shifts better. It gets close to impossible to get it into gears randomly.

There is definately something happening when I start the car. I tested this by shifting through the gears while the clutch is in when the car is off(with my right hand) and when I turn on the car (left hand) while shifting, I feel an immediate resistance.

Are you sure your clutch isn't dragging? Try removing your clutch stop to see if it makes a difference...

Jim

Notchy shifting

So, you've done almost everything except take it back to stock condition. Why not do that? IIRC, there was a thread about this a year + ago on the e36m3 list, and it mayb hae had to do with the play in the shifters. Try doing a search on Ron Stygars site, or maybe Suzy Krafts site on notchy shifting and see what you come up with. Also, why not contact the mfr and ask them?
    Since you can shift easily when the car is not running, perhaps it is in the tranny mounts? Also, you say you have a clutch stop? Okay, how about turning it in and seeing what that does? A car under load will naturally require complete clutch action, and you can quite easily shift gears once you are moving simply by timing your shifting with rpms, ie back off the throttle then shift when the revs drop.
    It sounds more like your clutch isn't engaging properly than anyhting else. My '95 has 80k miles and shifts well w/ a stock shifter. You might also try changing fluid, I use Redline D4ATF, but any good quality tranny fluid will work well. However, it sounds like you have a clutch problem, so either check your clutch stop or bleed the clutch slave.
    IIRC, on Ben Liaws site there is a description on checking for proper clutch stop height.
    Good luck, & drive hard.
    Mike
    '95 M3
    Da kar is yellow

My Cars
    Sold 528iT, Mazda6
    It's the clutchstop.

Remove it and watch your problem disapear.

For some odd reason the enagement point on my clutch moved down a fraction or two. When I was attempting to get into lower gears it was a real pain.

I finally heard a grinding noise and pulled the stop. Problem was gone.

I took off a 1/4 inch off the stop and everything is perfect again.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks you guys....

I will try to screw the clutch stop all the way in to see if that helps.
    If it is the clucth stop, wouldn't it have difficulties going in when the car is off also?

I hope it is either the clutchstop or clutch fluid.

Any other suggestions welcomed!

Originally posted by C///M3

If it is the clucth stop, wouldn't it have difficulties going in when the car is off also?
    Nope. When the engine is off, nothing is rotating, so having the clutch in or out doesn't make a difference.

Jim

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks for clarifying that one Jim.

O yea, I have also replaced the trans fluid to D4 ATF.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/2
    It's the clutch stop.. this happened to me when I just installed
    the RS SS... I took it off... it became alot better though still
    slightly notchy until the SS broken in...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    You guys were right. I screwed the clutchstop about 4 more full rotations and now it goes into gear while at a standstill. Odd, because I did the cs test on a hill and I could feel exactly where the clutch was disengaging. I had about an inch free play, but I guess its a bit different when the car is turned on.

Everthing seems to be fine now. Except I noticed that my upward movement shifts; ie 2nd to 1st, 4th to 3rd and 4th to 5th are smooth as silk. But my downward movement shifts; ie 1st to 2nd, 3rd 4th, and 5th to 4th (MAINLY 1st to 2nd) are not very smooth. It feels like 1st is getting caught up in neutral for a second before it goes into 2nd. Do you think it is the cs. I will try to screw it down even further when I get off work to see if it helps.

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HAS HELPED!!!!!!!