Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 431

Thread: Friends helping friends Thread

  1. #276
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oahu, HI
    Posts
    35
    My Cars
    1986 325E
    So I think I blew the head gasket. Or something. Does white smoke always mean that? Got tricked. Drove it home a few nights ago (cold and raining) did fine. Got towards hot, then it went towards middle. I drove it around a bit and nothing. So I let it sit thinking maybe it was just clogged. So I get bored. Drive it on the freewway and it's staying in the middle. But I'm gettin off the exit. And slowing down and the thing shuts off. White smoke. Not excessive. But didn't smell like anything. Anywho. I sat for a bit. Cranked it and it started right up. No bumps, noises or clanks.


    Blah. But I drove it to work, 1 exit. And it did again. Parked it by work and checked on it. Nothing leaking. So anyway. I went to move it like 4 hours later and I noticed a spot of oil on the ground. Fresh. Soooooo I checked it out and it seems it's coming from the oil pan. I couldn't see anything from the block or head. So hope the pressure built up and Just messed up the oil pan

  2. #277
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oahu, HI
    Posts
    35
    My Cars
    1986 325E
    Figured it out. Don't laugh.

    But either it was me, or previous owner. But there are two lines that go from the reservoir to the radiator and to let air out. The main one that kept shooting out water/steam was used as a way to let air out. Not to use as pressure to circulate the system. So I plugged up the hose where it was supposed to go. Said fuck it. And went inside for some water


    Went back out. And saw LOTS of water under my car. I thought something broke. BUT luckily, it was coming out the drain plug! Which I had taken out two days ago.... Haha

    so either it was clogged or there was no pressure. I'm not sure yet. But I know there flow through the block. Just gotta wait till it cools down so I can get a stream of water. Then plug it up and run it for a while.

    So. Problem fixed! Now to continue with my 2.7i Turbo build!

  3. #278
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pearl City, HI
    Posts
    1,844
    My Cars
    98 M Roadster, 95 Ford Ranger
    So you didn't change the water pump????

  4. #279
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oahu, HI
    Posts
    35
    My Cars
    1986 325E
    I still did. It's a usual problem for my model. But I was testing it and I guess I didn't clamp a hose and it flew off. So I guess it put a bunch of air right back in the system which I'm re bleeding it off of

  5. #280
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,188
    My Cars
    91 M5, 90 525i & 04 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidskillz View Post
    I still did. It's a usual problem for my model. But I was testing it and I guess I didn't clamp a hose and it flew off. So I guess it put a bunch of air right back in the system which I'm re bleeding it off of
    Turn the heater on

    park on an incline

    fill the expansion tank

    wait for the T stat to open (watch the temp guage and keep it out of the red)

    and bleed it until the bubbles go away.

    take it for a drive

    then bleed it again.
    Insert enhanced picture of car here:___________

    Insert a trite & witty quote here:___________

    Insert a list of fictitious modifications here:___________

  6. #281
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oahu, HI
    Posts
    35
    My Cars
    1986 325E
    I don't even think the heater works.

  7. #282
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,188
    My Cars
    91 M5, 90 525i & 04 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidskillz View Post
    I don't even think the heater works.
    if its connected...it will trap air
    Insert enhanced picture of car here:___________

    Insert a trite & witty quote here:___________

    Insert a list of fictitious modifications here:___________

  8. #283
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oahu, HI
    Posts
    35
    My Cars
    1986 325E
    Well I'm pretty much at wits end. I will try above things but I think I should buy another. I was gonna call Tim Knight for some help, and uh, that guy went off on me. Lol. And the only other place I know of is in town. But I dont think she'd make it

  9. #284
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,188
    My Cars
    91 M5, 90 525i & 04 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidskillz View Post
    Well I'm pretty much at wits end. I will try above things but I think I should buy another. I was gonna call Tim Knight for some help, and uh, that guy went off on me. Lol. And the only other place I know of is in town. But I dont think she'd make it
    what are you going to replace?
    Insert enhanced picture of car here:___________

    Insert a trite & witty quote here:___________

    Insert a list of fictitious modifications here:___________

  10. #285
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oahu, HI
    Posts
    35
    My Cars
    1986 325E
    replace? i put place?

    and there's a few guys selling motors for 400-500 bucks, i wonder if i should just buy a cheap civic for now, strip the e30 and go from scratch. But blitz, if you know of a few things, i'd pay you for your time

    reason why tim knight got mad at me was because he thought i wasn't trying to pay him. I asked him how much, he said $75 bucks per hour for house call. I then said 75 bucks? are you sure you're gonna fix.... and he went off saying things like, if you think you cant pay me for my time, then you need to delete my number and never call me back! You have no idea what im doing and blah blah blah, like for 10 min. Then he hung up on me.

    I was trying to say, hey, if you come out and i pay you, are you sure you can fix it. But he cut me off too early

    so let me know blitz

  11. #286
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    66
    My Cars
    2001 540i/2001 Regal
    I have an e39 (2001 540 auto) that refuses to start.

    Im not a car guy so Ive tried all the usual things I would, changed the battery, checked fuses in glove box and trunk (and even the ones under the passenger air cabin filter assembly) and still nada. When you turn the key it doesnt even crank, theres still power throughout the car (radio, seats, lights, etc) and the car "thinks" its started up (says fasten seatbelt) but its not. Only thing that happens when you turn it is a small spark noise form the engine bay (1 click) and thats it.


    As a last resort to towing it and paying out the nose, I'm posting here for any kind soul who could possibly help me get my baby back on the road.

  12. #287
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,188
    My Cars
    91 M5, 90 525i & 04 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    I have an e39 (2001 540 auto) that refuses to start.

    Im not a car guy so Ive tried all the usual things I would, changed the battery, checked fuses in glove box and trunk (and even the ones under the passenger air cabin filter assembly) and still nada. When you turn the key it doesnt even crank, theres still power throughout the car (radio, seats, lights, etc) and the car "thinks" its started up (says fasten seatbelt) but its not. Only thing that happens when you turn it is a small spark noise form the engine bay (1 click) and thats it.


    As a last resort to towing it and paying out the nose, I'm posting here for any kind soul who could possibly help me get my baby back on the road.
    First suspect would be the starter or the associated relay, then the ignition switch, and last would be if you have any type of BMW or non BMW anti theft system.
    Insert enhanced picture of car here:___________

    Insert a trite & witty quote here:___________

    Insert a list of fictitious modifications here:___________

  13. #288
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Oahu
    Posts
    3,085
    My Cars
    04 325I; 1989 520I (sold);1996 328I (sold)
    +1 on the starter.
    "Ballin on a Budget!"

  14. #289
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    66
    My Cars
    2001 540i/2001 Regal
    Thanks guys.

    So it wouldnt crank at all if it was the starter?

    I'm probrobly gonna have to tow it to Bavarian Motor experts tommorow, I hate to because everytime I do its so damn expensive (of course better than the stealer but still)

  15. #290
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,188
    My Cars
    91 M5, 90 525i & 04 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    Thanks guys.

    So it wouldnt crank at all if it was the starter?

    I'm probrobly gonna have to tow it to Bavarian Motor experts tommorow, I hate to because everytime I do its so damn expensive (of course better than the stealer but still)
    Take it to A&A or Motor Werks

    Or have Joe (DVMotorsports) do a house call
    Insert enhanced picture of car here:___________

    Insert a trite & witty quote here:___________

    Insert a list of fictitious modifications here:___________

  16. #291
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Oahu
    Posts
    3,085
    My Cars
    04 325I; 1989 520I (sold);1996 328I (sold)
    the starter is a DIY. If you can take it out take the starter to checkers they can do a bench test to see if the starter is bad or not. If it is then you only have to buy the starter if its not the starter then you will know when they check it and you have eliminated that from the problem
    "Ballin on a Budget!"

  17. #292
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,188
    My Cars
    91 M5, 90 525i & 04 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunu View Post
    the starter is a DIY. If you can take it out take the starter to checkers they can do a bench test to see if the starter is bad or not. If it is then you only have to buy the starter if its not the starter then you will know when they check it and you have eliminated that from the problem
    I would hate to take the starter out and have them tell me its okay and have to put it back in...

    You can test a starter on the car with a screw driver and a multimeter.
    Insert enhanced picture of car here:___________

    Insert a trite & witty quote here:___________

    Insert a list of fictitious modifications here:___________

  18. #293
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    66
    My Cars
    2001 540i/2001 Regal
    been doing some more research and looks like it could be too many things. Starter, alternator, solenoid, EWS (might be), the key (unfortunately only have one, so this could be a poss too), ignition switch, etc.

    Just gonna have it looked at professionally.

    So you think A&A or motor werkes is better than BME?

  19. #294
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,188
    My Cars
    91 M5, 90 525i & 04 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    been doing some more research and looks like it could be too many things. Starter, alternator, solenoid, EWS (might be), the key (unfortunately only have one, so this could be a poss too), ignition switch, etc.

    Just gonna have it looked at professionally.

    So you think A&A or motor werkes is better than BME?
    I'd rule out the alt.

    BME?...Don't get me started
    Insert enhanced picture of car here:___________

    Insert a trite & witty quote here:___________

    Insert a list of fictitious modifications here:___________

  20. #295
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    2,335
    My Cars
    ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    So you think A&A or motor werkes is better than BME?
    Experience may vary but personally speaking, I prefer A&A.


  21. #296
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waipahu, HI
    Posts
    425
    My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    I will be doing my brake job soon. Could I please borrow someones pressure bleeder? Going to be using ate super blue fluid. I would appreciate it.

    Please give me a call/text 234-3260
    Thanks in advance.

  22. #297
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ewa Beach
    Posts
    811
    My Cars
    Old & New
    Geo aka krisp 8O8 has mine. I wont mind if you borrow it. just pm him.

  23. #298
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    HI->RoK->Hot as Hell, AZ
    Posts
    2,747
    My Cars
    too many, yet not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob View Post
    I would hate to take the starter out and have them tell me its okay and have to put it back in...

    You can test a starter on the car with a screw driver and a multimeter.
    not intimately familiar with e39s (at least not yet), but do they have a neutral safety switch that could go bad?

  24. #299
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,188
    My Cars
    91 M5, 90 525i & 04 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoneofthose View Post
    not intimately familiar with e39s (at least not yet), but do they have a neutral safety switch that could go bad?
    All autoboxes have one.... when they go bad, you usually can get it towork in neutral or park intermitantly.
    Insert enhanced picture of car here:___________

    Insert a trite & witty quote here:___________

    Insert a list of fictitious modifications here:___________

  25. #300
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waipahu, HI
    Posts
    425
    My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftss13 View Post
    Geo aka krisp 8O8 has mine. I wont mind if you borrow it. just pm him.
    Thanks, I just asked him.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •