Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I can PROBABLY get the S50 B30/32 VALVE TAPPET DEPRESSOR (115-070): Who wants one??

My Cars
    2000 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
    Yes, BMW calls for a valve check/adjustment every 15k miles or Inspection 1. Typically, only a few valves actually need a shim change, whether you're talking about an S14, S38, S50, or S54. Sure as hell costs a lot to get done, though.

The S14/S38 tool has 2 different width depressors, since those engines have different spacing between the lifter buckets on the intake and exhaust valves. The exhaust side of my tool seems to work great on the S50B32 engine we have under the hood of our car right now. I have not pulled my own valve cover off of my B32 (way overdue!), and I also have not opened a B30 cover to check clearances, so technically I have only one engine I've used the S14/S38 tool on so far.
    What about the S52?

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M3Augy View Post
    What about the S52?
    you don't have to shim the valves, they are hydraulic.
    Sean

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Quote Originally Posted by SG_M3 View Post
    you don't have to shim the valves, they are hydraulic.

I think he meant the B32.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228

Trivia

I believe that Volvo shims are the same diameter. I do not have any idea what range of sizes (thickness) they come in. This might be a good low cost alternative.

YES...by all means, they are re-useable from bucket to bucket.

I was blown away by the guy's shop that does the grinding. He's got some insane machinery there. Makes parts ranging from locomotive parts, Boeing parts, all the spark plug tips for a major oem, surgical instruments that are very tiny.... quite an array.

What was pretty neat was watching him use the instruments he uses to measure thickness precisely....he was actually able to show me the wear on the contact side of an old thick shim, one we had brought as a core to him to grind down....he could measure the "dip" in the surface in the middle from contact with the cam. The shims float and rotate in the head, so the wear pattern is circular on the surface, and very hard to detect visually, but it is there.... and sure enough, it was measureable by this guy.

In medicine I think we would say "measureable, but of no clinical significance" about the "dip" or wear on the one side.... but, since both sides are hardened, and the flip side is usually virginal, we grind down the "dip" side.

Huge electro magnetic trays hold the shims down, and enormous grinding wheels make multiple precise passes as water sprays the whole thing down. Cool stuff. Completely computer controlled stuff....

If anyone has Volvo connections, please report back what thickness shims they sell new! It would be very good to have that in the thread.
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Are the S50 shims the same size as the S14 shims? It is common for people to use Volvo shims on S14. BMW purists say the BMW shims are better b/c they are chamfered on the edges making them easier to get out (that is the only difference AFAIK besides being half the price on the BMW shim). OTOH, I know somebody that kicked out a BMW shim and destroyed a 25k race S14. Maybe shims that stay in are better? Besides valvetrain weight, that is a good reason to go to a shim under setup (but really makes valve adjustments a bitch).
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
    Are the S50 shims the same size as the S14 shims? It is common for people to use Volvo shims on S14. BMW purists say the BMW shims are better b/c they are chamfered on the edges making them easier to get out (that is the only difference AFAIK besides being half the price on the BMW shim). OTOH, I know somebody that kicked out a BMW shim and destroyed a 25k race S14. Maybe shims that stay in are better? Besides valvetrain weight, that is a good reason to go to a shim under setup (but really makes valve adjustments a bitch).
    Yes, same stuff, except for the thickness differences noted earlier. I did find that the Volvo shims are harder to get out, since they have much sharper edges.

BTW - how does an engine kick out the shim?? Sounds like he may have had valve/piston contact to cause such a phenomenon. Those shims are stuck in the bucket with oil pretty hard sometimes.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
    Yes, same stuff, except for the thickness differences noted earlier. I did find that the Volvo shims are harder to get out, since they have much sharper edges.

BTW - how does an engine kick out the shim?? Sounds like he may have had valve/piston contact to cause such a phenomenon. Those shims are stuck in the bucket with oil pretty hard sometimes.
    That is what chamfered is...slight taper of the edge.

Dunno...he was using 308 or 320 cams. From what I have heard it is rare but not uncommon to kick out shim. I think it stopped the cam from turning so then there was piston to valve contact. But then the question is...chicken or egg?

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228

OK...don't label me a smart ass

Did anyone notice the oddity here?

Purists claim the BMW part better because its chamfered and easier to get out.

Racers complain that BMW ones "shoot" out.

Possible idea? Racers SHOULD use the Volvo parts... struggle to work with, but stay in better?

Food for thought.

It is tough for a gyn doc to think outside the box... but I try to.

Pun intended.
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.

My Cars
    1994 M3
    interesting....what model Volvos do these alternative shims come out of?
    cheers, Alan

1/4 mile-12.92 @ 108.64mph-NA 3.0L m3 daily driver

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    240 Iirc

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Euro LTW View Post
    It is tough for a gyn doc to think outside the box... but I try to.

Pun intended.

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3

Arrow

1. BSH
    2. Phillip A
    3. ixm3
    4. SG_M3
    5. morerevsm3 (Australia)
    6. Thewiseguy
    7. JamesM3M5
    8. Shock(/\)ave (Canada)

Though I'm presently terrified of working on this engine myself with my complete lack of experience in doing so and no guides to work from, I plan on learning soon enough and will want one of these tools given how long I plan on keeping this car.

Quote Originally Posted by BSH View Post
    (FYI - the S50 tool is still cheaper than the S14/38 tool.)
    Does anyone know if this tool would work on the S14 motor?

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
    Though I'm presently terrified of working on this engine myself with my complete lack of experience in doing so and no guides to work from, I plan on learning and will want one of these tools given how long I plan on keeping this car.

Does anyone know if this tool would work on the S14 motor?
    I will get in touch with my source and tell him we are interested in 8 tools. I'll update this thread as soon as I hear from him.

Paul,

James mentioned above that he has successfully used the S14/38 tool on the S50 motor.

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3

Question

James mentioned above that he has successfully used the S14/38 tool on the S50 motor.
    Right, so it's safe to assume it will work in the reverse with the S50 tool on the S14 motor? I would love to know what the difference between the tools is given the apparent price differential if that is the case.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    I might want one
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    1. BSH
    2. Phillip A
    3. ixm3
    4. SG_M3
    5. morerevsm3 (Australia)
    6. Thewiseguy
    7. JamesM3M5
    8. Shock(/\)ave (Canada)
    9. Vitolo

My Cars
    1999 M3 Evolution

I need some shims

We have got my engine open to adjust the valves and I need some shims. My dealer does not have any S50 shims in stock so I just want to confirm my options.
    S14 shims - are they the same?
    Volvo 240 Iirc - are similar and will work just fine?
    What about the S54 shims. Do they work?
    I need 2.80, 2.85, and 2.90 thick shims.

Here is a post from my mechanic on my clearances.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3

Question

Have you made any significant progress toward obtaining a number of these tools for those of us who are interested?

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
    Have you made any significant progress toward obtaining a number of these tools for those of us who are interested?
    I have bad news. The S50 tappet depressor tool is NLA. I was hoping to hear good news from another supplier and he also confirmed that the tool is NLA.

I was interested in acquiring the list of tools for a cam or HG swap and almost every tool is NLA.

Can someone please explain why BMW would discontinue tools for maintaining these engines? It's not like they won't require maintenance for years to come.

My Cars
    1995 EuroM3 92 Range Rover
    Has anyone got drawing and dimensions for one?
    It should not be too hard to machine a bit of steel strap, and weld a couple of channels to it.
    Regards Philip A

My Cars
    1994 M3
    if anyone has .DXF file of one, I will laser cut some out of spring steel
    cheers, Alan

1/4 mile-12.92 @ 108.64mph-NA 3.0L m3 daily driver

My Cars
    1995 EuroM3 92 Range Rover
    OR next time someone has an S50 apart for tappet check, measure
    A distance between the edges of the tappets O?O
    B Width of tappet rim ie between edge of tappet and shim.

That should be enough to make a tool.
    I should have done it last time I checked them.
    Someone suggested in a British forum that an Alfa tool fitted. As Alfas were a flop in Australia, it is unlikely that the tools would be available here.
    Anyone own an Alfa?
    Regards Philip A

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    I can borrow an S14 tool and try. I'll try to get it at Ofest.

My Cars
    3.0 Euro M3, 328is track
    Im interested too, if anyone finds another option...

Vic, australia

BLAKE AuST

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3

Question

The S14/38 tool is listed on eBay for a "buy it now" price of $94.50 - $119.95 plus shipping: CLICK
    Should we attempt to get a quote for group pricing on the S14/38 version of the tool?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast