Thread: What tool is missing from my BMW trunk tool kit? (pic inside)

My Cars
    1998 M3

What tool is missing from my BMW trunk tool kit? (pic inside)

I think I am missing a tool from the tool kit that is on the inside of the trunk on my 98 M3/4. Below is a picture, with an arrow pointing to the missing tool. Anyone know what it is? Thanks.

1998 M3/4 .::arktissilber::.

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    17mm Spark plug tool.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    1998 M3
    anyone got a part number for the 17mm spark plug tool? Is this tool even handy? ( I assume it is, but better to ask) Thanks

///3oris is offline "Diogenes the Cynic"
    My Cars
    '96 M3 Turbo, '04 Yamaha R6
    Lol, please tell me you're not going to go to the dealer and buy one?!? It's pretty useless stuff, in fact, I never even knew that hting was for spark plugs... noone actually uses those tools... usually if you break down (rare in M3's) it's a bit more serious than a screwdriver and a 8mm wrench

Boris

My Cars
    1995 LSB M3, 2005 Berlina S2000
    That philips screwdriver comes in real handy tho
    1995 M3

///3oris is offline "Diogenes the Cynic"
    My Cars
    '96 M3 Turbo, '04 Yamaha R6
    Oh... while we're on the subject... anyone have a BMW light (that comes in the glove compartment) that they don't need? Mine split in half... and _THAT_ is a useful tool!! If someone is preparing a racecar or whatever and ready to throw one away, please contact me... I'll take it

TIA,

Boris

P.S. Phillips is always useful! But he already has that!

My Cars
    '97 E36 M3 2-door, '02 YZF-R1
    I asked the same question at the dealer, and was told that the spot is for a tool that's needed only for the convertible. It's apparently a tool to use when the roof isn't opening or closing properly.

I don't know anybody who has anything in that spot, and also don't know anyone with a convertible, so it seems normal to be missing it..
    -c///m
    1997 Estorilblau M3 2-door
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Lighting: ZKW w/ HID, Euro clears, Lamin-X foglight film
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    08 M6 Coupe
    yup, on my car, that spot is for a tool to put down the rollover protection bars once it has popped out.

My Cars
    318IS/4
    Itīs the spark plug removal tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    07 335i coupe, 06 GX470
    Long handled bottle opener.

My Cars
    ?
    Actually the spark tool is not included on newer E36 cars. When I had my '93 325i It came with that tool. But I have not seen that tool on any of the newer E36 M3 cars including my '98. But I took it out and put it on my M3 before trading in the 325i. That tool is actually very handy as a crow bar. I don't need it for spark since my tool kit has one for my wrench.

My Cars
    That diagram shows a lot of tools that aren't in my toolkit, and the plastic base is not the same as mine (or the one in the posted photograph).
    -c///m
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    And, if you look up that part # for a '98 M3 sedan (USA version), you get the error "Sorry, this part number is not in the parts catalog data base or not installed in this model."

EDIT: I just looked deeper into my ETK, and I do see 71 11 1 181 460 listed as a spark plug socket, but that and the socket wrench 71 11 1 181 418 are not in my kit.
    -c///m

My Cars
    05m3comp/pk, 03'540it sc 6spd, 07 x5 4.8,,89'xt-6
    I think its a crack pipe scraper tool ....be serious My car never had anything there either.
    ,,,2011 black M3 sedan comp. pk vf 620 sc kit aka "KMPRSSR",,, 2013 x6 5.0 m sport pk "WIFE's",,2007 X5 4.8,,,2013 "BLACK OPPS"

My Cars
    '99 ///M
    A pick with the spark plug wrench in place. It came with my car (bought used).

http://members.cox.net/rwg2/Tool%20kit.JPG

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    what is 11 for?

My Cars
    323iC & Z3
    You stick the plastic (large) end in the lug bolt hole when putting a wheel on. Then you hang the wheel on it as you install the lug bolts. Better than tryin' to hold the wheel up with your foot as you try to "hit the hole".

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    aaaaah! snazzy.

My Cars
    2008 M5
    cool, I thought I didn't get that tool, guess it didn't even come with it.

JT
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    The spark plug tool comes in handy for spark plugs, of course, and as a damn fine little breaker bar if you use the other end of it. It'll also work on sunroof bolts, steering wheel nut, and seat bolts/studs. I've used the hell out of mine.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    Legend, M3
    aladdinM3 - You are also missing another tool as well... Click on the M3 folder at the following link.

http://photos.yahoo.com/rbk1115
    1993 Acura Legend L Sedan
    2009 BMW M3 Sedan

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Wow, thanks all for the replies. I know to some it's not a big deal missing a tool, but for me, I am detail oriented, and it was bothering me all the time. I was scared I might need it to change a tire or something...didnt want to be caught without it.

Estoril- Thanks for pointing out that I am missing another tool. I thought there was only supposed to be one in the spot.

So now, does anyone know what the other tool (indicated by red arrow below)? It looks to be a little smaller, almost like an adapter? I posted your pic below, hope you dont mind, Estoril

Thanks!