Thread: Oh noes!!! P1717 - SSD Inductive Signature Malfunction???

My Cars
    '03 M3 SMG w/ Stage II Dinan Intake,SW,Exhaust

Unhappy Oh noes!!! P1717 - SSD Inductive Signature Malfunction???

So I was coming home from work the other day and grabbed some fast food for a change. Traffic sucked bad so I put my SMG into Automatic. The gear indictor started flickering and it went into 0 neutral. A "gear looking" light appeared in my bottom right hand dash and the service engine soon light came on.

So I immediately put it back in Sequential and it was fine for a bit but the same thing started happening!!! It would go to 0 and I'd coast, then back to 3 or 4, then back to 0. "Here we go" I said to myself, always hearing horror stories about SMG but never experiencing it myself (owned for about a year now). It's a 2003 but I don't know whether it is an early or late model if that helps.

The same lights came on not too long ago on a really hot day but the tranny didn't exhibit any of the above mentioned symptoms. The "gear looking" light went away but the service light stayed on. I didn't drive it again until the day mentioned above which was extremely hot also.

The engine seemed to be unusually hot both times when I opened the hood. The "gear looking" light had come on a long time ago (6 months?) but thanks to someones suggestion, all I did was slam the hood to make it go away (something to do with the hood sensor).

Anyways, I hooked it up to my Scan tool and I get P1717 which says "Manufacturer Cntrl Transmission". I looked up the code online and it says "SSD Inductive Signature Malfunction".

Anybody have any ideas. I know if its the SMG I'm probably in for a world of pain (wallet wise) but want to rule everything else out before I bite the bullet. Any help or comments are appreciated.

Deez
    165!!! never again!!!........ just like 155 and 150 and 145 and 140......... Damn this car

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by DeezCashews View Post
    So I was coming home from work the other day and grabbed some fast food for a change. Traffic sucked bad so I put my SMG into Automatic. The gear indictor started flickering and it went into 0 neutral. A "gear looking" light appeared in my bottom right hand dash and the service engine soon light came on.

So I immediately put it back in Sequential and it was fine for a bit but the same thing started happening!!! It would go to 0 and I'd coast, then back to 3 or 4, then back to 0. "Here we go" I said to myself, always hearing horror stories about SMG but never experiencing it myself (owned for about a year now). It's a 2003 but I don't know whether it is an early or late model if that helps.

The same lights came on not too long ago on a really hot day but the tranny didn't exhibit any of the above mentioned symptoms. The "gear looking" light went away but the service light stayed on. I didn't drive it again until the day mentioned above which was extremely hot also.

The engine seemed to be unusually hot both times when I opened the hood. The "gear looking" light had come on a long time ago (6 months?) but thanks to someones suggestion, all I did was slam the hood to make it go away (something to do with the hood sensor).

Anyways, I hooked it up to my Scan tool and I get P1717 which says "Manufacturer Cntrl Transmission". I looked up the code online and it says "SSD Inductive Signature Malfunction".

Anybody have any ideas. I know if its the SMG I'm probably in for a world of pain (wallet wise) but want to rule everything else out before I bite the bullet. Any help or comments are appreciated.

Deez
    Doesn't ring a bell to me. Best thing to do is find a BMW independent shop that has a GT1 diagnostic computer. OBD2 generic faults aren't descriptive enough in troubleshooting.

If you can give me the exact BMW fault code then that'll help out a lot. I think there's even a bulletin on this SMG issue.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow when I get into the office.

My Cars
    I'm over 30 miles away from a shop, what tool could I get to give me the exact code you are looking for. I didn't know it'd be different than what my Actron-CP9175 would tell me. Are any of these good?
    165!!! never again!!!........ just like 155 and 150 and 145 and 140......... Damn this car

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by DeezCashews View Post
    I'm over 30 miles away from a shop, what tool could I get to give me the exact code you are looking for. I didn't know it'd be different than what my Actron-CP9175 would tell me. Are any of these good?
    None of those tools will read faults directly from the SMG control unit.

Your complaint of going into N or 0 reminded me of a service bulletin that BMW put out. Tomorrow morning send me an email or private message when I get to the office and I'll try to assist you as much as I can.

My Cars
    M3 E46 Coupe
    u figure this out ?

My Cars

Sorta Figured Out

I was never quite sure what caused this, but my M3 had problems keeping batteries alive (possible short somewhere). If you are having similar problems, check you battery thoroughly. Don't just check to see if it reads the right voltage, hook it up to a load tester to ensure it is fine. On a fresh battery, I never experienced this issue. Something to look at anyways.

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    Sounds like the SMG didn't like the state of your electrical system. Based on your first post, I was going to suggest checking the SMG relay (salmon colored one in the relay box in the engine compartment).

It can be a cantankerous PITA, but it can also stop you from driving a car that shouldn't be driven when it does refuse to work.
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon
    '11 VW Golf TDI (which retained its value *REALLY* well!)

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3 CONV
    the only time i have seen this on my m3 was last week when i popped the hood to chk oil and while filling the gas tank and paying out forgot that I had done so. tried to start it and got all kinds of funky stuff on the dash. after a moment of heart failure, I recalled a bulletin that i think i read in the TIS. or maybe it was at this site. anyway, the guy had somehow bent the contact switch in the hole where th hood alignment pin pegged in. he would get DTR a little ways and it would go into neutral and stop. i believe he was able to fix the switch and all was good.

My Cars
    S54 m3
    Did you find anything? My car is giving me the same code (p1717 ssd inductive malfunction signature)