Thread: Alternator or voltage regulator problem? (with PICS)

My Cars
    E34 525i

Alternator or voltage regulator problem? (with PICS)

A few days after I bought my 525i, I noticed that any and all lights or backlit screens flicker whenever they're on. The PO mentioned that they had trouble with the alternator two years ago and had it replaced. When I noticed this flicker, it seemed atypical of an alternator issue as it would continue despite revving the engine high. I looked here, and found a thread with a guy who had a similar problem and it ended up being his voltage regulator. I was getting ready to order a bunch of parts anyway so I tacked a voltage regulator onto my order and figured that would be my fix.

Last night, I pulled my alternator off to find that my leaky valve cover gaskets attacked the air boot to my alternator...

Yes, those are oily leaves chilling in there.

I pulled those off and cleaned up the oil. After unscrewing the voltage regulator and grabbing the new one, I found out WTF it doesn't fit it's a different part. After going back on pelicanparts.com it appears that the PO replaced the alternator with the 140A Valeo one from the 1991 production range (mine is a 2/92 prod 1992 model year).

There is plenty of metal left on the little spring loaded metal arms on the current voltage regulator, so those arms aren't the problem. (I dunno if the rest of the regulator is toast). Does anyone have any ideas before I potentially buy another voltage regulator, reinstall the alternator, and find that I'm having the same problem?
    "It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Four wheels will move the body, but it takes two wheels to move the soul.

My Cars
    BMWs
    They look ok but sometimes its the actual shaft the unit presses on as well. I dunno - I say get the right Voltage Regulator and see whats up. Else, get a bosch 140amp which are like ... a decent chunk of change!

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Yeah, I'd prefer to not have to drop the $250 on a bosch rebuilt, but if that's the problem the money's getting spent.
    "It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

My Cars
    E34 525i
    I'm trying to decide if I should just drop the alternator back in now that I got the oily leaves off and see if it works better, or if I should just get a new regulator...