Thread: Can someone explain the Koni SA rebound adjustability?

My Cars
    '02 Subie WRX Wagon

Can someone explain the Koni SA rebound adjustability?

I'm not quite understanding the "rebound adjustabilty" of the Koni SAs....This is whay I'm thinking...So when I firm them up or soften them they will compress at the same rate as they normally would but if I set to 1) firm, rebound will be slower 2) Soft, rebound will be faster?

Sorry I really don't understand how they work...I thought when you firm them up they are harder/firmer to compress and vice versa. Can you explain? or point me somewhere? Thanx!
    .....you say "sandwich."
    Anson HAD a '97 M3/4a Cosmos/black w/ some good stuffs......He also HAD a '04 Pontiac GTO (Goat) Quicksilver/black w/ Lingenfelter CAI....Now he has a '02 Subie WRX wagon....stuffs on the way

My Cars
    Pieces of 128

Re: Can someone explain the Koni SA rebound adjustability?

Originally posted by Drea///M3
    I'm not quite understanding the "rebound adjustabilty" of the Koni SAs....This is whay I'm thinking...So when I firm them up or soften them they will compress at the same rate as they normally would but if I set to 1) firm, rebound will be slower 2) Soft, rebound will be faster?

Sorry I really don't understand how they work...I thought when you firm them up they are harder/firmer to compress and vice versa. Can you explain? or point me somewhere? Thanx!
    When you adjust a SA Koni, the compression / bump is not changed much, only the rebound. That means, as you set it firmer, it won't be appreciably firmer to squeeze it together, but it will resist the spring's action to pull it out more.

I think, typically people think of those settings as meaning softer = more comfortable & streetable and stiffer is for racing, and that's an oversimplification to the extent as to make it hardly true. Adjusting bump would definitely give you a 'harsher - less harsh' type of feeling.

So why have only a rebound adjustable shock? It makes it match the spring it's fitted with a much better than having no adjustment. And you can tune the transitional roll -- not how much, but how fast it happens. There used to be a great link from propartsusa.com, but I can't find it now. Read some of their shock tuning advice, it helps figure this stuff out.

Andy Chittum -- Lemans Karting | BTM Motorwerks NASA Spec e30 | US Touring Car | Racecarnology Blog

My Cars
    '02 Subie WRX Wagon
    Ahhhh Ok now it's sinking in....
    .....you say "sandwich."
    Anson HAD a '97 M3/4a Cosmos/black w/ some good stuffs......He also HAD a '04 Pontiac GTO (Goat) Quicksilver/black w/ Lingenfelter CAI....Now he has a '02 Subie WRX wagon....stuffs on the way

My Cars
    01 740 sport
    since we're on the topic of konis, anyone know optimal settings for our cars? i would think that the fronts should be set differently than the rear (not sure which as) as we're RWD
    01 740i Sport

My Cars
    2003 M3 Coupe
    I've always heard that the setting was a matter of individual preference.

I have both front and back set to mid point.
    03 E46 M3 TiAg Manual
    Dinan stage II suspension
    Dinan front strut bar