Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing a Car into Canada - A DIY

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer3 View Post
    I have imported several vehicles from the states but not a bmw yet... I would suggest trying to get the recall clearance letter from a local dealership near where you purchase the car or through the person you buy it from. If bmw wont do this for free at that point, just go ahead and bring the vehicle up, since you dont need the letter at the border.. and wait to see if the RIV will require a letter! Also SOMEBODY NEEDS TO POST A COPY of their recall letter so others can put it in photoshop and change up the vin. Its not great to cheat but i think bmw is the one doing the real cheating here!
    $500=
    P.M Sent

My Cars
    In the garage...
    Perhaps someone can post a copy of the recall letter as an example. It'd be a good idea to photoshop out all the personal information though.

My Cars
    325xi
    I think my car was made in Puerto Rico....is that considered North America? I might get away with duty free if I could sell that idea to customs.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by exeye325 View Post
    I think my car was made in Puerto Rico....is that considered North America? I might get away with duty free if I could sell that idea to customs.

I think North America is considered as Canada, USA and Mexico... You can try.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplosive View Post
    Perhaps someone can post a copy of the recall letter as an example. It'd be a good idea to photoshop out all the personal information though.
    P.M. sent

My Cars
    MINI
    Did they ask for your letter of admissionability or did you volunteer it?

My Cars
    '94 318i; '00 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Hi ZemaBema,
    Did they ask for your Letter of Admissibility or did you volunteer it?
    They didn't even ask to show the Letter of Admissibility, just verbally asked me if I had one.
    However as I understand, BMW Canada will not issue a Recall clearance letter if you didn't get a letter of admissibility from them, even if you were able to get the vehicle into Canada without the Admissibility Letter (or so I was told by BMW of Toronto).

I just got my car converted to Canadian specs last friday. For people looking to get their mods done by BMW Canada for pre 2006 models, I suggest you get them done in the US (if possible) before bringing the car in. I just had to dish out $250 +taxes just to get my DRLs re-programed here. The service tech was trying to convince me how it takes them 3 hours to do it but they only charged me for two, when I know for a fact that it doesn't take more than 2 minutes (if they know what they're doing that is).

Mods that were required were:
    DRLs: Re-programming high beams to turn on with ignition at 30% intensity.
    Switching temp gauge from Fahrenheit to Celcius (DIY, read your manual)
    Switching mileage from Miles to Kms (Again DIY, read your manual)

Now I just gotta hold tight and wait 2 weeks for them to send my Recall Clearance Letter; something that shouldn't take more than 30 mins to print.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    At the Canadian Border, I was specifically asked to show the Letter of Admissibility as soon as I said that I was importing a BMW. I had ordered it 1 week before getting the car so it was not a problem, I got it the next day. I had to pay $350+tax.

BMW Recall Clearance letter was another story. I ordered it. Got the car registered and then received the letter. So it is a hit and miss.

My Cars
    92 318
    i called the Highgate Springs border in Vermont and they say they don't accept fax, i have to bring the original and a copy and they'll keep them for 72 hrs. Is this normal, as i thought they accept fax (title and bill of sale).

My Cars
    In the garage...
    Quote Originally Posted by luckjb View Post
    i called the Highgate Springs border in Vermont and they say they don't accept fax, i have to bring the original and a copy and they'll keep them for 72 hrs. Is this normal, as i thought they accept fax (title and bill of sale).
    The crossing I went to did faxes regularly. Try calling a different border and seeing what their policy is - faxing is so much easier.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Her's a link where you can find a ton of cars in the US (change zip or city). This one is specifically save for a 2003 e39 model. Also, the States dealer were pretty good with me. Had no problems changing DRL's. Whatever paperwork you need you might be able to get it as long as this is your car (you have the bill of sale & the title all in your name) - so there's no infringment of the privacy act. Also, IN THE PAST, I would phone BMWNA (US) and ask them to send me the letter of recall with my VIN # on it (One instance it was BMW and the other Volvo). Both times I had the letter within the hour via e-mail. I still have the e-copies at home (I think).

All that 530$ and 500$ B.S. plus the 1500$ dash change is just a scam that should be denounced. This is not an ethical business conduct - it's just squeezing your balls in a vice, in case you don't pay the 2000$+ fine for daring to buy elsewhere than Canada. Those poor dealers have to make a living too, right? Life is more expensive N of the border, so a car should be about 25-30% more expensive, and if not, well just pay the fine and all is good.

And here's another: I'm in pretty good relations with the parts guy from a dealership in Cowtown here. This saturday I asked when I could get my car looked at. He checked and said Feb18th, but because he's in parts he cannot do the appointment (that was Jan19)- should check on monday. Now, there's someone else there that does not like at all those imports and even said it to me, not realizing I was one of them (last year: "all those people bringing in cars from the US - we have no more time to tend our customers, so we have to push them back if they need repairs" so we are the black sheeps). Monday, surprise, surprise: my appointment is march 25th!!! BMW Canada not only want the $$$ from us for nothing, they don't even want to have anything to do with us!!!

And it's not the car. It's the f***g people!!!

My Cars
    '08 MB E300W4M / '02 MB
    It's unfortunate that most dealers service departments don't see the potential for profitable service business here. If they were to embrace the folks bringing cars up from the US, they would increase their service revenue significantly. Most of us that brought cars up from the US would not likely have bought the same car here, so they really haven't lost out on a sale. The service advisor at the MB dealer I took my car to realized this and was more than helpful. On top of that, they're pissing us off, making it less likely their sales department will make a sale to us.

I understand that cars here will not be parity-priced with the US, but we should at least be gaining ground. Unfortunately, BMW Canada has paid nothing but lip service to the pricing issue, and is trying to snow us into thinking they've actually adjusted prices in some way. I love the newspaper ads telling about great lease rates. While the interest rates might be down, the residuals are up, so net effect is nothing, if not actually higher lease payments than in the past. Perfect e.g. is my '06 525i. Residual 2 1/2 years ago was 65%. Now: 52%. Great deal? I think not...
    I'm all out of BMW's - doesn't mean I don't still love them...and might just be back soon...

My Cars
    BMW Z4, Lexus LS400
    Were you able to bring up a car, using the documentation provided to you by BMW USA, after all these changes and restrictions? Were they able to supply you with a letter of admissability? Since this seems like something only Canadian dealers would know about.

I brought back my bimmer last year, and it was easy... I'm looking to add some more horse power to my stable this year, but the process seems much more complicated and costly

Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    where you can find a ton of cars in the US (change zip or city). This one is specifically save for a 2003 e39 model. Also, the States dealer were pretty good with me. Had no problems changing DRL's. Whatever paperwork you need you might be able to get it as long as this is your car (you have the bill of sale & the title all in your name) - so there's no infringment of the privacy act. Also, IN THE PAST, I would phone BMWNA (US) and ask them to send me the letter of recall with my VIN # on it (One instance it was BMW and the other Volvo). Both times I had the letter within the hour via e-mail. I still have the e-copies at home (I think).

All that 530$ and 500$ B.S. plus the 1500$ dash change is just a scam that should be denounced. This is not an ethical business conduct - it's just squeezing your balls in a vice, in case you don't pay the 2000$+ fine for daring to buy elsewhere than Canada. Those poor dealers have to make a living too, right? Life is more expensive N of the border, so a car should be about 25-30% more expensive, and if not, well just pay the fine and all is good.

And here's another: I'm in pretty good relations with the parts guy from a dealership in Cowtown here. This saturday I asked when I could get my car looked at. He checked and said Feb18th, but because he's in parts he cannot do the appointment (that was Jan19)- should check on monday. Now, there's someone else there that does not like at all those imports and even said it to me, not realizing I was one of them (last year: "all those people bringing in cars from the US - we have no more time to tend our customers, so we have to push them back if they need repairs" so we are the black sheeps). Monday, surprise, surprise: my appointment is march 25th!!! BMW Canada not only want the $$$ from us for nothing, they don't even want to have anything to do with us!!!

And it's not the car. It's the f***g people!!!

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    When I imported my car(s) I asked the recall letter(s) via e-mail by phoning BMWNA or whatever brand NA. Attached is an example without my name & VIN for obvious reasons. At least there is the phone number that has been taken off the Canadian gov page to feed BMW.ca greed. So now you can call BMWNA, maybe they will help.
    Good luck to all of you

recall.pdf

recall.JPG

And here is what it says on the Gov page:

A recall clearance letter is a document issued by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of your vehicle that states whether or not there are any outstanding recalls on your vehicle. If you are not sure of what a recall is, simply put, it is a safety defect on your vehicle as a result of the original manufacturing process. The OEM is responsible for notifying the last known owner, and fixing the problem normally at their expense. It's best to obtain this information before you import the vehicle to avoid any unnecessary delays.

The letter must come from the OEM's head office and be written on official company letterhead, duly signed with the name and position of the official at the OEM clearly visible. If the manufacturer's logo is not on the letter it will not be accepted.

In some cases, we will also accept a printout from an authorized American dealer. If you obtain a printout from an American dealer, you must ensure that they are an authorized dealer and not a re-seller. You can confirm this by calling the head office of the manufacturer and providing them with the location of the dealership in question

If the printout is from an authorized American dealership, the company stamp must be affixed to the printout. In either case, the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle in question must be included in the letter.

If your vehicle does not have any outstanding recalls then the letter should say "this vehicle has no outstanding recalls." This letter must be presented to the RIV department prior to your Vehicle Inspection Form being released.

If your vehicle does have a recall you will need to complete all repairs required. Once completed, the dealer will provide you with an invoice that contains the same work order number as your recall letter. You will then take the recall letter with the invoice from the dealer with you to your federal inspection as proof that the outstanding recall has been completed. (http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html)

Meaning that the US dealer or BMWNA is OK
    Last edited by Doru; 01-23-2008 at 12:15 AM.

My Cars
    In the garage...
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    Thanks for the info Doru, especially the recall letter. Just a quick question - did the roundel come in color or was it B&W?

My Cars
    325xi
    Flying to Pittsburgh tomorrow to pick my car and drive it home. 1700 mile road trip. I've got my letter of admissisiblity from BMW, my title and bill of sale have been faxed to US customs. The dealer is giving me 30 day temp. tags, whatever those are. I've got a few days of medical insurance and a temporary insurance card for the states and a 24 hr permit for when I get back into Canada. Hope I'm not forgetting anything!
    Wish me luck!

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplosive View Post
    Thanks for the info Doru, especially the recall letter. Just a quick question - did the roundel come in color or was it B&W?
    This is exactly how I received it back then: B&W.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Flying to Pittsburgh tomorrow to pick my car and drive it home. 1700 mile road trip. I've got my letter of admissisiblity from BMW, my title and bill of sale have been faxed to US customs. The dealer is giving me 30 day temp. tags, whatever those are. I've got a few days of medical insurance and a temporary insurance card for the states and a 24 hr permit for when I get back into Canada. Hope I'm not forgetting anything!
    Wish me luck!
    The temp tags = license plates. Once they're expired you can't drive anymore. I would have taken 1 month temporary insurance (not only for the States). That way you can drive until you have the paperwork sorted out.

DON"T DRIVE IF YOUR INSURANCE IS EXPIRED (CANADA). IT"S AN IMPORT W/O VALID REGISTRATION (IT'S IN THE WORKS - I KNOW) & INSURANCE. YOU MIGHT LOSE THE CAR AND IT WILL COST $$$$ TO GET IT BACK FROM THE IMPOUND LOT.

My Cars
    E60 530i (M54/6psd)
    so as a canadian currently living in the US but planning on moving back, i cannot import my BMWs without driving to a canadian dealership and getting their BS letter of admissability for 500$? Has anyone posted one online ? My local BMW dealer will be more then happy to print me a recall clearance letter.

My Cars
    Honday
    Wish me luck!
    "temporary insurance card of the states"? Would an insurnce coverage from my Canadian insruance company be good enough? I am planning to pick up my car next week and just want to double check my insurnace coverage requirements. Thank you for your help.

My Cars
    E60 530i (M54/6psd)
    I emailed BMW Canada yesterday to lodge a compaint. I like lodging complaints as it actually helps sometimes.

Here's what I wrote and got back. I couldnt write anymore as the box was limited.

"I am writing to express how disappointed I am that BMW has chosen to bar consumers from importing American cars to Canada. By not supplying a list of approved cars to Transport Canada, we are now forced to have each vehicle personally approved by BMW Canada for export. My wife and I live in the US and have 2 BMWs (1999 323i and 2003 325ixt). We recently learned we would need to spend $1000 at a Canadian BMW dealership just to get certification letters."

I was surprised to even hear back from BMW, but they wrote back within a day...

"Dear Mr. Tremblay,

Thank you for contacting BMW Canada. We appreciate your comments.

The required documents to import a vehicle from the U.S. are the Admissibility letter and the Recall Clearance letter.

To obtain a letter of admissibility, please contact an authorized BMW retailer in Canada prior to importing the vehicle. Please note that there is a fee of $350 and a processing time of 2-5 business days in order to obtain this letter.

Once the vehicle is in Canada, you will need to visit a BMW retailer to have the Daytime Running Lights properly activated in order for the vehicle to comply with Canadian regulations. The cost for these modifications may vary by model.

The retailer will also start the process to obtain a Recall Clearance letter. Please note that there is a fee of $500 and a waiting time of 15-20 business days in order to obtain this letter.

Mr. Tremblay, please understand that these measures were taken in order to ensure that all U.S. specifications BMW vehicles are compliant with Canadian safety regulations when they are imported in Canada. Any modifications that are done to your BMW vehicle needs to be done in accordance with manufacturer specifications.

The administrative costs for these documents are necessary as we have had to obtain more resources in order to keep up with the increasing demand.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-567-2691 or by email at customer.service@bmw.ca if you need additional information.

Sincerely,

Jean-Philippe
    Customer Interaction Specialist
    BMW Canada"

Luckily I wont be needing to get a recall clearance letter from BMW Canada as my local dealership already said they would write me a letter should I need it for free.

My Cars
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by vladvm View Post
    At the Canadian Border, I was specifically asked to show the Letter of Admissibility as soon as I said that I was importing a BMW. I had ordered it 1 week before getting the car so it was not a problem, I got it the next day. I had to pay $350+tax.

BMW Recall Clearance letter was another story. I ordered it. Got the car registered and then received the letter. So it is a hit and miss.
    vladvm how were you able to register the car without the recall letter?
    I just imported a 325is w/ a s50 swap. I had my car shipped as I didn't have the time to fly down to florida to pick it up and drive back.

My customs office didn't even ask me for a letter of admissibility, They did an inspection I paid my fee's and got my car home. So far so good.

The thing I want to avoid is BMW telling me that I have to get the letter of admissibility when it is not needed anymore. Any advise you or anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My Car came with DRL's so is this something BMW will try to hit me with also?

My Cars
    In the garage...
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbaby View Post
    vladvm how were you able to register the car without the recall letter?
    I just imported a 325is w/ a s50 swap. I had my car shipped as I didn't have the time to fly down to florida to pick it up and drive back.

My customs office didn't even ask me for a letter of admissibility, They did an inspection I paid my fee's and got my car home. So far so good.

The thing I want to avoid is BMW telling me that I have to get the letter of admissibility when it is not needed anymore. Any advise you or anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My Car came with DRL's so is this something BMW will try to hit me with also?
    I'm not sure if the older cars need a L.o.A. I imported a 93 325is with S52 swap and I was never asked once for a LoA, just a recall letter (which is just an edited copy of someone else's letter). Try going through without getting the LoA, why waste your money when you don't need to?
    If you don't ask, the answer will be no.

My Cars
    BMW 325
    thanks for all the good info.

i just bought a 1988 325ic for 200.00. cars need some minor repairs.

i don't want to pay more for shipping than the car is worth.

option;
    1. resell the car which is in ny, albany.
    2. get it fixed in ny....i would bring the parts with me. it starts, but the auto trannie is not so tight. guess it's been broken in ...the steerring is stiff too. rack and pinion, or steering pump, or could need to be worked loose....
    i have 2 parts cars; e30 e36, so this may seem to be the best move.
    ask me if u need some parts.
    3. get it shipped for 475 to buffalo, or 800 to toronto.
    anyone know of an efficient shipper? 500 to toronto from albany.
    4.?
    any opinions?
    email;

hollywoodcali325@yahoo.ca

tony

My Cars
    E60 530i (M54/6psd)
    honestly....you only have 200$ into it and you're not trying to make a killing? Someone will jump on it for 2-300$ if you list it on craiglist...convertibles are awesome. I bought one for 200$ with a blown auto tranny...swapped it to a 5spd and it was one of the funnest cars i've ever had. i'd jump on it if i were closer.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast