Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing a Car into Canada - A DIY

My Cars
    95 318is, 03 X5 4.4
    Hey ZimaBeema - any luck with the letter of admiss? I'm looking to bring up my car next week and just wanted to know if the Canadian Border people even ask for it or look at the letter. Thanks.

My Cars
    1994 E36 M3
    Interested in anyone's experience at the border after Nov 26th with the letter of admissability - was it asked for??
    Last edited by kris2002; 12-29-2007 at 02:21 AM.
    1970 2002 2.5L "M2"
    94 Euro E36 M3 race car

My Cars
    325xi
    I'll be bringing mine across in the New Year and I'll let y'all know how it goes.

My Cars
    97 540ia / 04 530i
    My Dad brought my '02 530 across on the 30th. 5min in US Customs, 15 or so in Canada Customs. He came across around 6pm. Said he got more hassle about the t-shirts and rum than anything else. And they never asked to see the Letter of Admissibility. Anybody having trouble opening the online payment link. I can't get it open.

My Cars
    92 318
    Aside from autotrader where do you look for a bimmer in the states. thanks.

My Cars
    '94 318i; '00 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by DsCaliX5 View Post
    Hey ZimaBeema - any luck with the letter of admiss? I'm looking to bring up my car next week and just wanted to know if the Canadian Border people even ask for it or look at the letter. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kris2002 View Post
    Interested in anyone's experience at the border after Nov 26th with the letter of admissability - was it asked for??
    I brought mine in on Jan 31st. The agent at the check point just asked me whose car it was and if I had the letter. The customs agent just asked me for the title and bill of sale, didn't even mention the letter of admissibility. At no point did anyone ask to see the actual letter. Now I really feel mad at BMW Canada for all this unnecessary BS paperwork.

Does anyone know if and when do they require the "Recall Clearance Letter"? I don't plan on getting my safety done at the BMW stealer, so if this letter is not required, I'd rather not stuff anymore money down their gaping mouths...

My Cars
    1994 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ZimaBeema View Post
    I brought mine in on Jan 31st. The agent at the check point just asked me whose car it was and if I had the letter. The customs agent just asked me for the title and bill of sale, didn't even mention the letter of admissibility. At no point did anyone ask to see the actual letter. Now I really feel mad at BMW Canada for all this unnecessary BS paperwork.

Does anyone know if and when do they require the "Recall Clearance Letter"? I don't plan on getting my safety done at the BMW stealer, so if this letter is not required, I'd rather not stuff anymore money down their gaping mouths...
    Officially, the recall clearance letter is part of the two-step process that BMW Canada is shafting us with.
    Step one:
    -Letter of Admissibility ($350)
    Step two
    Bring the car to Canada, get it inspected at BMW and the DRL's changed, and then BMW will (eventually) release a recall clearance letter ($500++)
    Send the letter to RIV to get form 2
    Use form 2 and get RIV inspection at CDN tire
    Provincial licensing after RIV inspection pass

I would recommend you fax a US dealer stamped Vehicle Warranty Inquiry (which you hopefully have) to RIV and insist that they take it. Worst they can say is no, in which case you will have to go to BMW.
    1970 2002 2.5L "M2"
    94 Euro E36 M3 race car

My Cars
    Z3
    great info. i'm looking into buying a m coupe from florida and will be relying on a bf.c member and bmw shop inspecting the vehicle prior to payment. my plan it to buy and have the car shipped to niagara falls and then drive it up. i have no experience buying sight unseen and am looking for a reasonable way to do the deal while protecting myself as much as possible. i have come up with the following and am looking for comments/suggestions and others experience.

1. find vehicle
    2. have vehicle inspected by BMW shop, BFC member, photos, carfax etc.
    3. negotiate/finalize price
    4. get bill of sale signed by both parties
    5. wire deposit in exchange for original title and registration documents
    6. get pre import stuff done at US BMW dealer eg. DLR
    7. fax docs to US border
    8. wire balance of payment upon receipt of shipping docs
    9. go pick up car and drive back with seller's plates or my plates and insurance (will my insurance company insure a US vehicle?)
    10. go through border process, recall letter, inspection as outlined in this thread

Questions
    - how can i prove the car was mfg in the US so I don't have to pay duty or how to I recover the duty if I have to pay at the border
    - how can I ensure the vehicle has no liens

Thanks

My Cars
    In the garage...
    Quote Originally Posted by seabird View Post
    great info. i'm looking into buying a m coupe from florida and will be relying on a bf.c member and bmw shop inspecting the vehicle prior to payment. my plan it to buy and have the car shipped to niagara falls and then drive it up. i have no experience buying sight unseen and am looking for a reasonable way to do the deal while protecting myself as much as possible. i have come up with the following and am looking for comments/suggestions and others experience.

1. find vehicle
    2. have vehicle inspected by BMW shop, BFC member, photos, carfax etc.
    3. negotiate/finalize price
    4. get bill of sale signed by both parties
    5. wire deposit in exchange for original title and registration documents
    6. get pre import stuff done at US BMW dealer eg. DLR
    7. fax docs to US border
    8. wire balance of payment upon receipt of shipping docs
    9. go pick up car and drive back with seller's plates or my plates and insurance (will my insurance company insure a US vehicle?)
    10. go through border process, recall letter, inspection as outlined in this thread

Questions
    - how can i prove the car was mfg in the US so I don't have to pay duty or how to I recover the duty if I have to pay at the border
    - how can I ensure the vehicle has no liens

Thanks
    Your step by step process seems good. As for the answers to your questions:

Your insurance company will insure a US vehicle so long as you are driving from the states directly to either a repair facility or your home, by the shortest route. It's called a "Binder of Insurance". Not many agents know about this, so call around until you find one who does.

You can prove the car was manufactured in the states by the label on the driver's side door jam. It states all the mfr information on it. Call the RIV for more info about recovering duty, but if you make it clear to the customs agent by showing the label, you shouldn't have any problems.

Finally, you can check to make sure it's lien-free by running a simple carfax. Good luck!

My Cars
    Volvo S70
    Does anyone know of the modifications i'd need to get done if I brought up an 02/03/04 M3? Is it only DRL?

Thanks!

My Cars
    Z3
    xxplosive,

thanks for the info. have you imported a car from the usa? interested in hearing how others worked payment/delivery/title when buying sight unseen.

rob

My Cars
    In the garage...
    Quote Originally Posted by darkid View Post
    Does anyone know of the modifications i'd need to get done if I brought up an 02/03/04 M3? Is it only DRL?

Thanks!
    The RIV will know best. BMW will give you an answer, but obviously they're biased towards your pocketbook. Call the RIV at the number listed in the first post.

xxplosive,

thanks for the info. have you imported a car from the usa? interested in hearing how others worked payment/delivery/title when buying sight unseen.

rob
    you're welcome I imported, but I couldn't trust myself buying sight unseen, so I picked it up myself. Wired the money when I was down there. I think you could do the same. Ask your bank what information you will need for an electronic wire payment and make sure the seller provides it. When you have your independant inspecter or shop inspection report back to you on the condition of the car (and more importantly, if they would buy it for the money), finalize the payment by calling your bank and giving the OK. Bear in mind that this must be done during business hours and usually authorized by a manager (or it was in my case). At that point the seller should fedex you the title, registration, change of ownership slip from the DMV and all the other paperwork. It'd be a good idea if you got a good fax of all these documents before you buy, as you'll need to be able to fax them to the border agents (and 3 business days ahead of import too FYI). I'd research the lemon laws in your province and talk with the bank to see if you have any recourse if the car, for some unforseeable reason, turns out to be a s**tbox and you're left holding the keys.

All in all, give yourself lots of time to do this, rushing it only causes very large headaches.

My Cars
    325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by luckjb View Post
    I bought mine on Ebay.

My Cars
    '94 318i; '00 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by luckjb View Post
    I bought mine from a used car dealer that I found here: http://www.automotive.com/used-cars/01/bmw/index.html

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by BadMotorFinger View Post
    I brought mine accross the border on Nov 21st, so it was before they brought in the letter of accessability (whew), and yes I went to Crappy Wheel for the inspection (the only other place in Calgary that can do it was Stampede Toyota and they were booked days in advance...I drove it to Crappy Wheel and was done in 3 min).

The way the process works is like this...
    • Make sure to contact US customs and fax all the proper paperwork to them 72 hrs before arrival (keep in consideration that they're getting slammed with faxes...it took me 2 solid days trying to fax them because it was so busy).
    • Arrive at US customs and clear (this was very easy and quick...maybe 15 min)
    • Proceed to Can customs and the agent will help you fill out Form 1 (he'll walk out to the car and verify VIN number). There you will pay RIV fee, GST and duty taxes (they do not accept cheques...have the plastic ready). Depending on how busy it is there, the process was relatively quick...1/2 hr.
    • When you get home, go to RIV website and near the bottom, click on "on-line payment" and fill in the form. You will need the Form 1 number as well as the officer's badge number. They will send the form via email or fax or mail (this could take a few weeks to be delivered).
    Here's the catch...they will send an email back saying that they cannot send you the import inspection forms until they recieve the recall letter. This is where I went down to BMW and paid for the letter (because I knew that it might take a few weeks). I then booked the car into another shop to get the DTL done. About a week after submitting my request for the inspection forms (keep in mind that I still didn't have the recall letter yet), RIV sends me the import inspection form, and on the right column it said "Recall documentation is not required on this vehicle." It seemed a little strange, and I questioned it to BMW service manager, and he told me to get it inspected, so I did.
    • You can get the OOP inspection at anytime during this process as well (took my guy 2 min...ran his hand over the tires and said "oh yea, it's good...$250 cash please", and he sent the forms in for me.
    Not sure what happened there, but seems to me that someone screwed up during the process somewhere...my gain I guess, but I think I'll go celebrate this weekend heh heh. I wouldn't bank on the same thing happening, sounds like a fluke to me.

I paid BMW for the recall clearance letter on Dec 17, 2007. I have not received the Recall Clearance Letter yet.

But today I just received my Form 2 from RIV without sending them the recall clearance letter from BMW. It says on Section 4 of Form 2 "Recall documentation is not required on this vehicle" as one of the check list. Does it mean I can get my refund from BMW?

OR wil I still need the Recall Clearance Letter to show Canadian Tire or Ministry of Transportaion Ontario Licensing Office to get my plates?

Thanks!

Form 2 is here
    w w w .
    filipino.ca/
    cache/images/photos/get-photo/14189.jpg
    Last edited by vladvm; 01-03-2008 at 02:15 PM.

My Cars
    1994 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by vladvm View Post
    I paid BMW for the recall clearance letter on Dec 17, 2007. I have not received the Recall Clearance Letter yet.

But today I just received my Form 2 from RIV without sending them the recall clearance letter from BMW. It says on Section 4 of Form 2 "Recall documentation is not required on this vehicle" as one of the check list. Does it mean I can get my refund from BMW?

OR wil I still need the Recall Clearance Letter to show Canadian Tire or Ministry of Transportaion Ontario Licensing Office to get my plates?

Thanks!

Form 2 is here
    w w w .
    filipino.ca/
    cache/images/photos/get-photo/14189.jpg
    Yes, ask for a refund from BMW
    1970 2002 2.5L "M2"
    94 Euro E36 M3 race car

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by kris2002 View Post
    Yes, ask for a refund from BMW
    Is there a need for recall clearance letter at all after I've received the Form 2 (Inspection Form) and done the inspection? Do I have to show the recall clearance letter to MTO to get the license plates???

Who has gone throught the whole process here?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    My car is finally fully registered in Ontario.

TIMELINE

Nov. 30 - Won a car on E-bay. Notified my Insurance that I will be adding a car to my policy.

Nov 31 - Received Title and Bill of Sale from Seller.

Dec 1 - Faxed the Title to Queenston-Lewiston Bridge (72 hours in advance of crossing border)

Dec. 4 - Bought Admissibility Letter from BMW Canada ($399CAD)

Dec 10 - Flew to NJ, pick-up car with 20 days Temp License from New Jersey

Dec 11 - Crossed the border, showed BMW Admissibility Letter, got Form 1, paid duties and GST and Air-con tax. Drove home.

Dec 12 - Through internet I paid RIV and scanned and e-mail them my Form 1

Dec 17 - Went to BMW Canada and got Daytime Running Lights (DLR at $119CAD) activated and paid for Recall Clearance Letter ($570CAD)

Dec 31 - Got car emission test and safety certificate for Ontario

Jan 3 - Still awaiting BMW Canada Recall Clearance Letter. Received Form 2 from RIV (on Section 4 the checklist says "Recall documentation is not required on this vehicle". Brought the car to Canadian Tire immediately and got federal inspection in 10 minutes for FREE. Got Form 1 and Form 2 stamped by Canadian Tire. Canadian Tire faxed Form 2 to RIV. Took the forms to Ministry of Transportation Ontario Licensing Office, they do not even look at Form 2. Registered the car and paid PST and Plates and Registration. Received ownership certificate and attached sticker and plates to car.

Now I am a proud owner of 2002 BMW 325i.

Jan 4 - Awaiting Canadian Manufacturer Certificate Sticker to replace the US sticker from RIV.

I did not need the recall clearance letter at all. I didn't show it at Canadian Border, I never sent it to RIV and I did not show it to Canadian Tire or MTO Licensing Office.

I think I have a great case of getting my $570CAD back. Any suggestions on getting the refund?

My Cars
    '08 MB E300W4M / '02 MB

Thanks
    When I bought my Benz in Buffalo, my insurance company provided me a 14 day certificate of insurance, showing the VIN of the car. NY State DMV required this in order to get a 30-day temporary license tag. I had to call 3 different times, as this temporary insurance certificate is out of the ordinary. I explained each time that I was buying a car in NY state, and needed this to get a 30-day tag. Finally the 3rd person I spoke with understood, and provided it. She did say that this is somewhat unusual which was why the others I spoke with didn't provide it. Moral: be persistent.
    I'm all out of BMW's - doesn't mean I don't still love them...and might just be back soon...

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i

Exclamation NO REFUND on Recall Clearance Letter from BMW Canada

I spoke directly with Bruce Caton of BMW Canada and he stated that once the order for recall clearance letter has been issued, there will be absolutely NO REFUND for the money paid for the letter ($570CAD) even though the letter has not been received. There will be NO REFUND as long as the letter arrives within the specified 15-20 working days in the recall clearance letter order contract.

So I do not know how someone here got their money back. Maybe lucky? Explain your process...

It would be sweet to get it back myself but I already saved a lot of money by buying in the US (approx $5k CAD). IMO I believe any saving bigger than $1k is worth it. Keep importing!!!!

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES:

My temporary New Jersey 20-day trip permit was accepted by Toronto Police and Ontario Provincial Police, but I got stopped numerous times to show them my Form 1. (Great time to get all inspections done)

In Ontario, you can only get ONE 10-day temporary trip permit to drive around to get the car inspected, safety checked and emission tested.

Once the car is already REGISTERED TO YOUR NAME, you can get a maximum of FOUR 10-day temporary trip permit per year.
    Last edited by vladvm; 01-05-2008 at 04:21 AM.

My Cars
    In the garage...
    Quote Originally Posted by vladvm View Post
    I spoke directly with Bruce Caton of BMW Canada and he stated that once the order for recall clearance letter has been issued, there will be absolutely NO REFUND for the money paid for the letter ($570CAD) even though the letter has not been received. There will be NO REFUND as long as the letter arrives within the specified 15-20 working days in the recall clearance letter order contract.

So I do not know how someone here got their money back. Maybe lucky? Explain your process...

It would be sweet to get it back myself but I already saved a lot of money by buying in the US (approx $5k CAD). IMO I believe any saving bigger than $1k is worth it. Keep importing!!!!

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES:

My temporary New Jersey 20-day trip permit was accepted by Toronto Police and Ontario Provincial Police, but I got stopped numerous times to show them my Form 1. (Great time to get all inspections done)

In Ontario, you can only get ONE 10-day temporary trip permit to drive around to get the car inspected, safety checked and emission tested.

Once the car is already REGISTERED TO YOUR NAME, you can get a maximum of FOUR 10-day temporary trip permit per year.
    Thanks for the update notes! if I were importing now, I'd recommend trying to go through the process without geting a recall letter. In this case, I'd choose begging forgiveness over asking permission, especially when it's a $570 permission slip.

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    How did you get a 10-day permit from Ontario? I called the licensing office and they told me I couldn't get one and needed to have it towed to my inspections... I'm not doing that, but I'm a little nervous if I get pulled over while I'm driving it to the inspections.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Yes, you are more likely to get stopped than not so don't risk it. They can impound the vehicle or worse, make you export it!

I was stopped so many times 10+ when I had the New Jersey 20-day temp permit but had no issues with them, just be honest.

Go to any MTO licensing office,

Bring the following:
    1. Form 1 from Canadian Border
    2. Your drivers license
    3. Bill of Sale from seller/dealer
    4. Original Title with US Export stamp on it
    5. Form 2 from RIV if you have it
    6. $15 to pay

Tell them you just bought the car from US, and you would like to get a 10-day temporary permit. You can only do this ONE time! When the car is registered under your name you can get up to FOUR 10-day temp permit, but no point really since it is registered under your name and should have plates.

Even if you have the 10-day temp. permit, you will still get stopped by police just because you don't have the plates and they won't see the temporary permit sometimes. No biggie. Just be polite to them.

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    But i have my old plates on it...

My Cars
    91 850, R32 gtr, 454
    I have imported several vehicles from the states but not a bmw yet... I would suggest trying to get the recall clearance letter from a local dealership near where you purchase the car or through the person you buy it from. If bmw wont do this for free at that point, just go ahead and bring the vehicle up, since you dont need the letter at the border.. and wait to see if the RIV will require a letter! Also SOMEBODY NEEDS TO POST A COPY of their recall letter so others can put it in photoshop and change up the vin. Its not great to cheat but i think bmw is the one doing the real cheating here!
    $500=

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast