Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing a Car into Canada - A DIY

My Cars
    '04 x3
    I just called RIV. They say that for BMW specifically, the recall letter has to come from BMW canada. For any other make of cars (except mercedes) the letter can come from a dealer in the US.
    But the rep did say that it would be a good idea to get the modifications done in the US (ie. the DTRLs), I suppose if it's done by BMWUS then BMWcad can't say that it wasn't done "in compliance with canadian standards". THen you just have to sit tight and wait for them to print out one 8.5 x 11, which apparently takes a few weeks.

Caperone you are right, BMW has no right to decide what we can import or not import. canada transport should be the ones to decide what is deemed compliant with canadian standards and what's not. it's probably a higher order that is putting pressure on RIV to somehow stop the $$ from leaving canada, and then RIV in turn collaborating with money grubbing BMW to screw us. RIV should be the ones to tell BMW they don't have the authority to decide what's admissible.

My Cars
    '04 330Ci Alpine White
    Just an update on my situation...

Mine was pre Nov 26 btw. I've been trying to get straight answers from BMW as I'm going along, and every week their stories have been changing. RIV finally sent the forms to me, and on those forms it says that I do NOT need the recall letter. I paid the fee for the recall letter first and went to an outside European Auto shop (who is BMW certified) and did the DTL via the proper software update...this was yesterday. I then phoned BMW to confirm that they could "inspect" the DTL and then release the Recall Letter to me, but then he told me that things were changing AGAIN, and that NO outside shops can perform the software upgrade...only BMW dealerships. I asked him what that was about and he honestly didn't know, BUT, he said that if I had the Import Inspection papers already and it said that I didn't need the letter, he told me to get the inspection done and they would refund the $ back to me (he seems genuinely helpful and I'm not holding anything against the service managers)...I KNOW it all has to do with the Director of BMW Canada.

I believe that BMW Can approached RIV and made a convincing case about how their product was designed under very sophisticated technologies and that with the influx of non-conformant vehicles entering Canada going to second rate shops to perform a safety regulated change on their vehicles, then they should try to put a stop to it. I think it's all bs though. Last week they quoted me $350 in Calgary, Edmonton quoted me $125, the outside shop I went through charged me $125, and as long as they inspected it, that was fine, but today was a different story again and said that noone outside BMW can perform this now.

If you can get the DTL done in the US prior to coming to Can, do it, it'll be much easier.

My Cars
    325xi
    My guy in the States said even if he activated them, BMW would still gouge me to turn them on so he doesn't bother. If you can believe that.

My Cars
    325xi
    BMW Canada is making me feel like an unloved red-headed step child.

My Cars
    2004 530i
    I am surprised that no lawyer types have challenged the arbitrary change of rules in court. One day car admissable the next it isn't. WTF!! Does anybody have any solid information on cars sold before the change of rules, say Nov 20th?
    I understand partly the change for those Canadians coming to the US as visitors specifically to buy a BMWand bring it back to save a buck but in my case I have been living here legally for 15 years and I am moving back this summer. I researched the importation prior to buying my 2004 530i and it was admissable. While i was buying the car the rules were being changed. I resent being caught in this dragnet. I live here legally and I finally found the Bimmer I wanted at a fair price now I am penalized as if I was sneeking to the US to buy one. Not fair. Someone should challlenge this in court. I think there is more than enough evidence to support a case to have these rules being overturned as being arbitrary, punitive and overreaching.

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by cfuchs1 View Post
    I live here legally and I finally found the Bimmer I wanted at a fair price now I am penalized as if I was sneeking to the US to buy one. Not fair.
    Why would anyone have to sneak into the US to bring a car back? Why do you partly understand it for people who are going down to save a buck? There is nothing illegal about buying a car in the US and importing it back to Canada, there's just a bit more paperwork involved than going down there and buying a plasma TV.

And why is there any difference between someone who lives there and someone who just goes down to buy a car? I resent the fact that I'm being treated like I have done something illegal or wrong.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i

Daytime running lights

Read the thread about drl. This sounds like an easy way to avoid the dealer extortion. It looks fairly easy or any mechanic should be able to do it for about $100 Graeme

My Cars
    2004 530i
    Yo deepseacowboy,

I apologize for my inappropriate implication. I know you haven't done anything illegal by coming to the USA to buy anything at all. But clearly the rule changes are meant to discourage Canadian residents from doing just that and it is wrong to attempt to discourage that in the way they are doing. I did not come here to buy a car cheaper than in Canada and take it back not that there is anything wrong with that but again that is what the rule changes are attempting to discourage. But the rule changes are so broad that anybody bringing in a BMW is subject to the same discriminatory treatment. And THAT is my point. Car ok on Nov 25, not so on Nov 26. Why? No good reason at all other than BMW Canada is losing market share and they have managed to convince someone in government that the arbitrary measures they are taking is the way to resolve BMW Canada's "problem". We are all being treated like we have done something wrong and we have not. The sudden and arbitrary rule changes ARE wrong and should be challenged in the court of law and I hope someone does. Hell, I'd be happy to be the test case. Does anybody know a lawyer who may be willing to do this pro bono?

In anycase deepseacowboy I am sorry for stepping on your toes.
    Last edited by cfuchs1; 12-13-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo's

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Thanks for the apology, but I wasn't upset with you!! I'm upset with the way the BMW dealers treat me when I call to ask them to extort me... it pisses me off.

We should go class action. ;-)

My Cars
    01 Z3 01TDI 92jetta 85TD Hondavf700 yamha xs11
    A thought for all the people forced to change clusters for drl's. i wonder if switching to lower amperage LED types, would alleviate the issue of the cluster change? i suppose, that, either way, this decision would be in BMW hands...
    ... and does anyone know which models require the cluster change. Z3s in particular, for my case... k

My Cars
    '04 330Ci Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3Candian View Post
    ... and does anyone know which models require the cluster change. Z3s in particular, for my case... k
    From what I've been told, it sounds like the '06 and newer, not sure if it's model specific or not.

My Cars
    '04 330Ci Alpine White
    Oh glorious day...
    Got my import inspection done, and on the RIV form it stated that this vehicle DID NOT require the recall letter, and since I had pre-paid for the recall letter, I went to BMW Calgary yesterday to get my money back...the look on the guys face was PRICELESS...you could just see the expression was like "What? I have to give YOU money back? I'm confused!! You're supposed to give ME money!!" His jaw hit the floor...literally. He said he never seen that before...

it was a great day.

My Cars
    '94 318i; '00 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by BadMotorFinger View Post
    Oh glorious day...
    Got my import inspection done, and on the RIV form it stated that this vehicle DID NOT require the recall letter, and since I had pre-paid for the recall letter, I went to BMW Calgary yesterday to get my money back...the look on the guys face was PRICELESS...you could just see the expression was like "What? I have to give YOU money back? I'm confused!! You're supposed to give ME money!!" His jaw hit the floor...literally. He said he never seen that before...

it was a great day.
    HaHa, nice. Did you still need the Letter of Admissibility to bring it across? Also where did you get your inspection done (Canadian Tire?) and I'm guessing this can be done as soon as the vehicle is in canada? No need to wait for the Recall Letter?

Reason I ask is, I'mm bringing a 2000 5-series up here and if I don't have to deal with the stealers up here in Canada, I'd rather not. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    '02.5 M3 SMG, '00 Yamaha R6
    I had to get an out of province inspection done on my old civic and the Canadian Tire guys were rediculous. I'd never let them inspect my car....I know that they're mostly independant and not actual crappy tire employees but none the less....

My Cars
    325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by BadMotorFinger View Post
    Oh glorious day...

it was a great day.
    What was it about your vehicle that earned that distinction? I'm importing a 325xi, 2004. Wonder if I'll catch the same break?

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    where on form 1 does it say no recall letter needed?

My Cars
    '04 330Ci Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by ZimaBeema View Post
    HaHa, nice. Did you still need the Letter of Admissibility to bring it across? Also where did you get your inspection done (Canadian Tire?) and I'm guessing this can be done as soon as the vehicle is in canada? No need to wait for the Recall Letter?
    I brought mine accross the border on Nov 21st, so it was before they brought in the letter of accessability (whew), and yes I went to Crappy Wheel for the inspection (the only other place in Calgary that can do it was Stampede Toyota and they were booked days in advance...I drove it to Crappy Wheel and was done in 3 min).

The way the process works is like this...
    • Make sure to contact US customs and fax all the proper paperwork to them 72 hrs before arrival (keep in consideration that they're getting slammed with faxes...it took me 2 solid days trying to fax them because it was so busy).
    • Arrive at US customs and clear (this was very easy and quick...maybe 15 min)
    • Proceed to Can customs and the agent will help you fill out Form 1 (he'll walk out to the car and verify VIN number). There you will pay RIV fee, GST and duty taxes (they do not accept cheques...have the plastic ready). Depending on how busy it is there, the process was relatively quick...1/2 hr.
    • When you get home, go to RIV website and near the bottom, click on "on-line payment" and fill in the form. You will need the Form 1 number as well as the officer's badge number. They will send the form via email or fax or mail (this could take a few weeks to be delivered).
    Here's the catch...they will send an email back saying that they cannot send you the import inspection forms until they recieve the recall letter. This is where I went down to BMW and paid for the letter (because I knew that it might take a few weeks). I then booked the car into another shop to get the DTL done. About a week after submitting my request for the inspection forms (keep in mind that I still didn't have the recall letter yet), RIV sends me the import inspection form, and on the right column it said "Recall documentation is not required on this vehicle." It seemed a little strange, and I questioned it to BMW service manager, and he told me to get it inspected, so I did.
    • You can get the OOP inspection at anytime during this process as well (took my guy 2 min...ran his hand over the tires and said "oh yea, it's good...$250 cash please", and he sent the forms in for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by exeye325
    What was it about your vehicle that earned that distinction? I'm importing a 325xi, 2004. Wonder if I'll catch the same break?
    Not sure what happened there, but seems to me that someone screwed up during the process somewhere...my gain I guess, but I think I'll go celebrate this weekend heh heh. I wouldn't bank on the same thing happening, sounds like a fluke to me.

My Cars
    '04 330Ci Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by deepseacowboy View Post
    where on form 1 does it say no recall letter needed?
    There are 2 columns on Section 4...the left side stating the things that are needed to pass inspection (ieTL, infant restraint kit, metric speedometer, etc). The right side is where the message about the recall letter was.

My Cars
    X3 3.0
    Is that on form 1 or form 2? My form 1 has four black sections, the bottom is titled "complete for vehichles required to enter the registrar of imported vehichles program". Is this the same form you're looking at?

Thanks.

My Cars
    '94 318i; '00 528iT
    Just recieved the Letter of Admissibility yesterday, seems like its a general template and they just switch the Name, model and vin number of the car.

My Cars
    '94 318i; '00 528iT

Or never mind, I'll just post it here. Hope this gives you guys a better idea of what BMW Canada is charging the $350+Tax for...

My Cars
    In the garage...
    Quote Originally Posted by ZimaBeema View Post
    Or never mind, I'll just post it here. Hope this gives you guys a better idea of what BMW Canada is charging the $350+Tax for...
    Is that a real signature or a rubber stamp?

My Cars
    2006 325i

Update RE DRL's

I went to Canadian Tire this week to get the Federal inspection done. I didn't have anyone do any work on the daytime running lights. Rather, I simply programmed the automatic light control setting to "sensitive" via the I-drive. No problems. The guy at Canadian Tire spent quite a bit of time looking at the vehicle (about twenty minutes). he looked at the light switch, turned the vehicle on and off a few times to make sure the lights were coming on, and then passed the vehicle.

As such, it seems to me that, regardless of what BMW Canada is telling the dealers they have to do in order to install daytime running lights on the vehicles (which in the case of an e90 apparently means that they have to change the entire instrument cluster at a cost of about $1,500.00) the guys doing the inspections at Canadian tire are still operating under the prior rules. After all, until a few weeks ago, the professionals at the BMW dealerships were "installing" daytime running lights by simply changing some settings via the I-drive, which is something anyone with a finger and a command of the English language can accomplish themselves. thus, I save myself some money and my vehicle is fully registered and on the road (finally!).

My Cars
    '04 330Ci Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by deepseacowboy View Post
    Is that on form 1 or form 2? My form 1 has four black sections, the bottom is titled "complete for vehichles required to enter the registrar of imported vehichles program". Is this the same form you're looking at?

Thanks.
    Sorry, that was on the RIV inspection form.

My Cars
    '94 318i; '00 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplosive View Post
    Is that a real signature or a rubber stamp?
    To be honest, I'm not even sure. BMW Canada emailed it to me as a PDF file (since I was in a rush) and said that I could use a print out of it at the border. Hopefully they don't hassle me for that now.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast