Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing a Car into Canada - A DIY

My Cars
    332is
    Just pick up a one day coverage plan then - collect all your paperwork and go talk to your agent. Should be less than $30/day with max. coverage.

My Cars
    05 M3,06 M5,09 X5 4.8i
    Most shipping companies,be it from the states or here in canada won't deliver right to your home.When I asked about that in july they told me that for one the truck is way to big,and they dont have permits,and insurance to drop off in residential areas.
    Do you believe in life after death?? Fuck with my car and you'll find out...Icabob "Crane"

JUST modded...M5...AFe CAI,EVOTECH Stage 2 ECU upgrade,Akrapovic CAT back exhaust,for a dyno tuned total of...575BHP...hehehe.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Guys, shipping is expensive. The most fun I had, was driving my car(s) from the States to Canada. To get insurance, you need the "attempt' of Bill of sale from the US (both times the guys send it to me via e-mail), and the detailed description of the car with pictures and VIN. You will get a 30 day insurance - no problem. Same price as your insurance (almost) of the other(s) car you might have. Did it twice, and 3 more friends of mine followed my experience and drove their cars home, no problems. Last one came back last sunday before the long weekend (30th sept). He also followed what I told him and prolly this week he will have the car with Canadian plates. It's not that complicacated, I just figured out how the Burocracy wil slooow you down big time.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    Guys, shipping is expensive. The most fun I had, was driving my car(s) from the States to Canada. To get insurance, you need the "attempt' of Bill of sale from the US (both times the guys send it to me via e-mail), and the detailed description of the car with pictures and VIN. You will get a 30 day insurance - no problem. Same price as your insurance (almost) of the other(s) car you might have. Did it twice, and 3 more friends of mine followed my experience and drove their cars home, no problems. Last one came back last sunday before the long weekend (30th sept). He also followed what I told him and prolly this week he will have the car with Canadian plates. It's not that complicacated, I just figured out how the Burocracy wil slooow you down big time.
    I dont have time to drive a car up from Atlanta, thats far from home. Also an extra 2000 miles on the car, plus they act as a broker and take care of a lot of things at the border for me.... What was that about a 30 day policy though... I'd look into that for sure, cant see myself needing more then that amount of time to pass federal and provincial inspections...

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by 91mat325 View Post
    I dont have time to drive a car up from Atlanta, thats far from home. Also an extra 2000 miles on the car, plus they act as a broker and take care of a lot of things at the border for me.... What was that about a 30 day policy though... I'd look into that for sure, cant see myself needing more then that amount of time to pass federal and provincial inspections...
    Pending on how slow the bureaucracy will shuffle the paperwork, if you want to drive it, 30 days will be plenty. Otherwise you might get stuck with towing the car for inspections, or you take the risk of driving it (god forbid cops pull you over). I know I was pulled over and the cops checked the VIN & insurance in their cruiser, but everything checked out - had the 30 days....

My Cars
    A4 2003
    If you were to buy a new bmw and drive it up, would you go through the same thing? I'm from Edmonton, AB and plan on doing something similar to that. I don't know if the savings are worth it... Anyone here have experience with new car importing to Canada. Let's say a $60K car, would probably work out to be ~$70K after GST, duty, and fees? Correct if I'm wrong.

My Cars
    '84 M635CSi, '86 M5, '99 540i/6, '04 XC70
    Quote Originally Posted by Nartman View Post
    If you were to buy a new bmw and drive it up, would you go through the same thing? I'm from Edmonton, AB and plan on doing something similar to that. I don't know if the savings are worth it... Anyone here have experience with new car importing to Canada. Let's say a $60K car, would probably work out to be ~$70K after GST, duty, and fees? Correct if I'm wrong.
    Your profile says Dallas TX. Are you a returning resident? That'll have an impact, though you'll have to own the car for 6 months before import, and one year after, to benefit.

You also may have trouble finding a US dealer willing to sell to a Canadian. that's been reported as a problem out here in Ontario. Apparently BMW NA has directed US dealers to not sell to Canadians.
    Jay
    '84 M635CSi
    '86 M5
    '88 325i Cabrio

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Pending if it's build in the US or not: 12% or 6% plus the couple hundred $ fees for RIV. You can still bring a new car (everybody wants to sell, plus the stink with the dealers "fixing" the prices here in Canada) - talk with the US dealer to sell a "demo" that's not new (sic). You get the jist of it - it works.

My Cars
    2006 Z4si Coupe
    I just imported a new Z4 Coupe into Canada. Its a similar process. You dont need an OOP with a new car tho. One less step.

I dont know if it's been mentioned. BMW Canada is charging $500 for the recall leter. You can get a Vehicle History Report from an authorized dealer, and RIV will take this instead of the recall letter. I had mine notarized (They have to notarize the MSO anyways). If they say they wont take it, just phone back till you get somone who says they will.

My Cars
    332is
    Quote Originally Posted by nate96 View Post
    I just imported a new Z4 Coupe into Canada. Its a similar process. You dont need an OOP with a new car tho. One less step.

I dont know if it's been mentioned. BMW Canada is charging $500 for the recall leter. You can get a Vehicle History Report from an authorized dealer, and RIV will take this instead of the recall letter. I had mine notarized (They have to notarize the MSO anyways). If they say they wont take it, just phone back till you get somone who says they will.

So if I provide a carfax the RIV will accept this? Does it have to be notarized? What's MSO? And who do I call?

Sorry for all the questions but I was about to head down to the dealer tomorrow to get my letter and this could be $500 saved.

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    Carfax won't work.

MSO is a "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin", which is what a car has in lieu of a title until it is first sold, and only applies to new cars.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    2006 Z4si Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by hecuter View Post
    So if I provide a carfax the RIV will accept this? Does it have to be notarized? What's MSO? And who do I call?

Sorry for all the questions but I was about to head down to the dealer tomorrow to get my letter and this could be $500 saved.
    The dealer can print off a Vehicle History Report. It will show no open campaigns. This can be used instead of the Recall letter. I got mine notarized, but I have heard of others being succesfull not being. Seeing as though I never seen my car till it got delivered, I got it notarized just in case.

My Cars
    332is
    Quote Originally Posted by nate96 View Post
    The dealer can print off a Vehicle History Report. It will show no open campaigns. This can be used instead of the Recall letter. I got mine notarized, but I have heard of others being succesfull not being. Seeing as though I never seen my car till it got delivered, I got it notarized just in case.
    Hmm, interesting. Do you know if it has to be the dealer from which you bought it? I got mine in a private sale down in the States, I wonder if this could work for me too.

My Cars
    2006 Z4si Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by hecuter View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Do you know if it has to be the dealer from which you bought it? I got mine in a private sale down in the States, I wonder if this could work for me too.
    No it does not have to be from where you bought it. I know another guy who bought his used and got the Vehicle History Report from a dealer. He got the seller to get it from the dealer.

My Cars
    A4 2003
    I'm a current student in Dallas, TX and am not considered a "resident", just on a student visa. I'll be heading back to Edmonton in a couple of months. Hopefully I can find a dealership more west that are willing to deal with Canadians. I'm planning on getting a 535xi, and so I'll probably end up paying 12%. That's still a whole lot of savings considering it would cost me around $62k USD in the states (before taxes and duties), so around $70k USD. This is still cheaper than $80k CAD before taxes. Either way I think I'll be saving around $15k-$20k depending on the currency exchange rate. Every day it seems the currency is doing better and better. I'm still considered a Canadian resident, so hopefully no snag on importing a new car.

Good advice on the Vehicle History Report to save $500.

By the way, what is an OOP?

My Cars
    332is
    I'm a current student in Dallas, TX and am not considered a "resident", just on a student visa. I'll be heading back to Edmonton in a couple of months. Hopefully I can find a dealership more west that are willing to deal with Canadians. I'm planning on getting a 535xi, and so I'll probably end up paying 12%. That's still a whole lot of savings considering it would cost me around $62k USD in the states (before taxes and duties), so around $70k USD. This is still cheaper than $80k CAD before taxes. Either way I think I'll be saving around $15k-$20k depending on the currency exchange rate. Every day it seems the currency is doing better and better. I'm still considered a Canadian resident, so hopefully no snag on importing a new car.

It's definitely worth it if you're buying a new-ish car. OOP = Out Of Province Inspection

My Cars
    A4 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    Pending if it's build in the US or not: 12% or 6% plus the couple hundred $ fees for RIV. You can still bring a new car (everybody wants to sell, plus the stink with the dealers "fixing" the prices here in Canada) - talk with the US dealer to sell a "demo" that's not new (sic). You get the jist of it - it works.

This might be a dumb question, but can you elaborate on the benefits of getting a "demo" vs a new car? Well, besides the prices offered... Do you get by certain taxes when you ship it to Canada? Like avoid the 6% duty since it's a demo?

Sorry for being slow, I just want to be sure.

Thanks

My Cars

It doesn't matter if you're considered a resident in the place you currently reside. If you lived outside canada for at least a year, and have proof, you can claim returning resident status. Anything you buy less than $10k is duty free as long as you've owned it for six months or more before your return. Anything over $10k is imported at appraised (or in the case of a car, red book) value minus $10k.

Whatever you do, make sure you buy the car as soon as you can. If it's brand new, you may end up paying the duty and tax on the sticker. If you've owned it for a month or so, you can argue that it should be based on the depreciated price, which is red book based.

The only benefit to getting a "demo" is the reduced price and depreciated value on import. There's no avoiding taxes and duties. I paid GST and duty on my '86 M5, and then paid Ontario PST to register it. If you buy a Spartanburg product (Z or X) you might be able to argue the duty away, as it's manufactured in the US.
    Jay
    '84 M635CSi
    '86 M5
    '88 325i Cabrio

My Cars
    A4 2003
    Thanks for the info JayM. It's much appreciated. Driving the car from the dealership alone depreciates the car by several thousands. I've been outside Canada for 3+ years and plan on owning the car several months before heading back to Canada (I don't think 6 months though). The advice on arguing the depreciated price if I head back earlier than 6 months.

Great info!

My Cars
    '03 745Li
    I'm gonna be importing soon, just waiting for the right 540i to pop up on the market down south.

My Cars
    '97 M3 Coupe, 2007 Tundra
    I managed to get a recall printout form a US dealer. Just made up a story about my insurance company needing it and talked real nice to the front desk lady and she did it for me. RIV accepted it.

My Cars
    '03 745Li
    Quote Originally Posted by gmorris View Post
    I managed to get a recall printout form a US dealer. Just made up a story about my insurance company needing it and talked real nice to the front desk lady and she did it for me. RIV accepted it.

Good idea

My Cars
    2004 545i Preimum, Dynamic Driving, and Sport Pkg
    Are U.S. original warranties and CPO warranties valid in Canada? In other words, are they honored by BMW Canada and its dealers?

RandomHero is offline Member 2008 Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    '05 CTS
    If I were to import a project car, what changes in the process would I be looking at? I'm thinking of picking up an e30 m3 tub and trailer it back up here. Would make a fun trip too!

Remember, we're there too.

My Cars
    MattAu,

The best way to get an answer to that question is to call BMW Canada. The papers are all saying that most manufacturers aren't honouring warranties on US-bought cars, but it's best to get a straight answer, in writing, from the source.

RandomHero,

The rules for non-operational cars are slightly different, and unless you brought it in just as a race car, you'd probably have to jump through the bureaucratic hoops to get it registered as a road car that was once salvage. I haven't gone through that process, so I can't offer you more detailed help. Sounds like a fun project though (I want an e30 M3 one day).
    Jay
    '84 M635CSi
    '86 M5
    '88 325i Cabrio

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast