Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: Importing a Car into Canada - A DIY

My Cars
    02 M Roadster
    If you get a scan of the title you can email it to the border also.
    Last edited by shogun; 04-03-2018 at 07:27 PM.

My Cars
    328ic with hard top
    at the border, the US officials can look in their computers and verify that title has transferred to you (if it has). they don't like to do this, but they can.
    maybe they could even print out a copy for you? - tricky.
    the Canadian border guys are going to check your citizenship, residence, etc., so will realize you are probably importing the card and want their money ... but i don't think they really care if you have title or not! but of course as you imply, you will need it eventually in order to register it in your province.

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2001 530i
    Well technically the US side doesn't care and at Buffalo there's no reason to even stop on the US side unless you want to do this. Coming back in will be your problem.

Candidly I'd get back on the plane.

If not your best bet is to drive it back close to the border and come back later and fetch it. However now that I say this I realize that he won't be giving you the signed title but will have your money. Technically you would be stealing the car.

Get back on the plane...

Dave

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    When I imported my car last year, I gave the paperwork to the US side 72 hours before I came across. All they do it make sure there are no liens on the vehicle and it isn't stolen. When you actually bring the car across all they do is stamp a piece of paper (I think it was the original title).

On the Canadian side, the border guard saw the US Border stamp and said "Good, you got the US stamp, we don't actually care but it is good you got it". So I asked him more about it. Apparently the Canadian side doesn't care as long as you pay the duty/tax. All that stamp says is you legally exported it from the US. Without that stamp you can not take the car back into the states. If you do they can seize it as stolen property.

But as the previous poster said, just fly home. There is no way I would give someone money for a US car without a clean title. The title it is the document of ownership. He can very easily take your money and report the car as stolen (and claim the insurance). When you go across the border, the car would be flagged as stolen and then you'd be screwed.

My Cars
    91 318is 94 325i 01 325i
    Haha I know...isn't it perfect?! Gotta love wealthy people that know how to take care of a car. :p

Right, so now I do OWN the car, it's being stored in his garage again until I fly back down (probably the end of march) because that's when I turn 21 so then I can have some real fun in VEGAS baby! haha

Yeah no...they definitely still have the fabled "pink slip". SO retarded. Canada doesn't even use them, so really all I need it for is to prove to the border guard that I didn't steal the car...even though my name is on the registration, which you can only get if you have the title OR an application for a new title, so THEREFORE the title is pointless. So frustrating.

If I ever buy a car from an annonymous ebay seller I would ask for a scanned copy of the original title front and back BEFORE you send money. Then either have him courier it to you, or just wait until you get there and avoid any risk of it getting lost in the mail.

Yeah, he felt awful. I felt bad too though that I didn't insist on him checking. I probably would have had I known the title was so damn important.

Well, as far as I know I don't need the RIV recall form since my car is 15+ years old and therefore RIV exempt. HOWEVER, just to safe-guard myself I went to Beverly Hills BMW (oooooohhhh yeah baby, definitely felt like a balla :p) and asked for a piece of paper from them stating there were no recalls. She kind of looked at me funny when I asked for it but they just took the VIN and did a search. There were 5 recalls on my particular car, just for small stuff like a radiator cap, etc but they were all taken care of in like 1995. Then she made me pull the car into their service area, looked at the mileage and wrote up a little receipt basically showing No safety recalls present. It was FREE which was awesome, becaue apparently they charge you $560 in Canada to get that done (because they are pissed that so many Canadians are importing BMW's from the US) So yeah, if anyone needs a recall letter in Socal go to Beverly Hills BMW and See LORI, she was super nice and very accomodating.
    As far as the other form you're talking about (Form 1) They give that to you when you cross the Canadian border.

And yeah, I'll post all the info about what happens when you actually cross the border when I get there. I know this DIY thread was well put together, but I still had some questions after I read it the first few times, so it always helps to have more peoples experiences posted.

hahaha yeah, The DMV jokes you always hear are definitely legit, that place is an absolute zoo!

Glad I could help.

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2001 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgeatdawg View Post
    Can anyone give me a *quick* rundown into getting a '95 M3 into Canada from California. I could get the title mailed to me after wiring down a deposit, then go through the process of getting it across the border like any other vehicle, then what do I need from there to get it legalized in terms of letters from BMW ect.
    They are now pretty cheap in Canada how much are you looking at paying ?

Dave

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516