Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Importing a Car into Canada - A DIY

My Cars
    BMW
    Hecuter:

I'm located in Vancouver as well. I came across this link while I was searching on "how to import cars from us", I just want to say, this is by far the most helpful link I clicked all week long. I'm thinking of picking up a 05 Z4 from Seattle, on numerous sites I visited, people stated it cost thousands just to modify the car in order for it to be admissable. Is it true?

thanks!

My Cars
    332is
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard313 View Post
    Hecuter:

I'm located in Vancouver as well. I came across this link while I was searching on "how to import cars from us", I just want to say, this is by far the most helpful link I clicked all week long. I'm thinking of picking up a 05 Z4 from Seattle, on numerous sites I visited, people stated it cost thousands just to modify the car in order for it to be admissable. Is it true?

thanks!
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear you found it useful! I would say that people stating it will costs 'thousands' to modify the car have maybe heard an anecdote or two, but perhaps not the full story. Yes, there are many fees that will go hand in hand with the import, and it probably will total to at least a thousand (duty + gst alone on an 05 will probably make it in that range alone), but the modifications don't necessarily cost that much. I don't know all the specifics with the new cars - I would recommend calling both BMW Canada customer service (1-800-567-2691) and your local dealer to ask a few questions, including:

-What they charge for modifications to bring the car to Cdn Standards. If they say it's upwards of several thousand dollars, bring up that the control module is about $150 to make the DRLs work, and ask them where they are getting that figure

-Whether or not the warranty (if there still is one) will be honored on your car when it gets up here

-If the dealer will honor service issues with it or if you'll be forced to go third party.

-Also, US dealers have been officialy banned from selling to Canadians (!) Some dealers are ignoring this blatantly unfair ruling, but they risk losing their license. If you're not going private sale, be prepared for this possibility.

If and when you do find the answers to these questions, I'd love for you to post them here for other people to find out. By the way, I know of someone who was looking to import a Z4 from the states. Out of curiousity, you weren't recommended here by a workmate were you?

My Cars
    BMW
    I'll definitely hit up one of the BMW dealers around Richmond and see what they have to say. So it's true US dealers are not selling cars Canadians?!?! Is it just BMW dealers, or for all of them? I thought used vehicles were still ok. I'll keep you guys updated that's for sure, and no, I just came across this site, literally from google

My Cars
    BMW
    Hecuter:

I called Brian Jessel BMW today, and the service department guy told me I have to pay for letter of admissability (another $300ish) ontop of the Recall letter? the good news is the only thing that needs to be changed on Z4s is the DRL, as long as it doesn't have iDrive, there's no need to replace clusters

PS: the service technician also told me the letter of admissability takes about 5 working days to process, and the recall letter takes about 20ish working days, does that sound about right? if that's so, it's a pretty tight schedule to fit in the 45 days period.

My Cars
    332is
    I'll definitely hit up one of the BMW dealers around Richmond and see what they have to say. So it's true US dealers are not selling cars Canadians?!?! Is it just BMW dealers, or for all of them? I thought used vehicles were still ok. I'll keep you guys updated that's for sure, and no, I just came across this site, literally from google
    I think it's only for BMW dealers. I don't know about used vehicles. I'd definitely call and find out before hand, but you might get a different answer if you ask in person instead of over the phone. I doubt many dealers enjoy sending paying customers away.

Hecuter:

I called Brian Jessel BMW today, and the service department guy told me I have to pay for letter of admissability (another $300ish) ontop of the Recall letter? the good news is the only thing that needs to be changed on Z4s is the DRL, as long as it doesn't have iDrive, there's no need to replace clusters

PS: the service technician also told me the letter of admissability takes about 5 working days to process, and the recall letter takes about 20ish working days, does that sound about right? if that's so, it's a pretty tight schedule to fit in the 45 days period.
    That sounds about right. Did he give you a quote on the DRLs? I didn't have to get a LoA, so I don't know how long it takes, but they say 6-8 weeks for the recall letter. I know it only takes them 20 minutes to get (they call head office, and get a fax in return) but it's part of BMWs strategy to make importing as difficult as possible. Don't worry about the 45 day timeline though. If you're approaching the end of your window, give the RIV a call with your import number handy. They give extensions readily. When I was importing, my ex-boss decided not to pay me for my work, so I ran out of the cash to complete it mid-import. They were more than willing to give me as much time as I needed to sort things out. Just call a few days ahead of time and you should be fine. Thanks for getting back to the board. The next time someone comes reading this thread there'll be more answers to help them out.

My Cars
    BMW
    the DRL was quoted at around $200, do you think I can get it done at Canadian Tire for under $50?

it does the same thing right?

BTW I called Danny at Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver, I found him to be very polite and very helpful!

My Cars
    332is
    the DRL was quoted at around $200, do you think I can get it done at Canadian Tire for under $50?

it does the same thing right?

BTW I called Danny at Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver, I found him to be very polite and very helpful!
    I did the Canadian Tire method for ~$25. Some reports say that they no longer accept DIY DRL changes. You could always try, because $25 isn't too much to lose in the grand scheme of things, and $175 is a fair amount to save. Good to know about BJ too. I've found that the service guys at Park Shore, specifically Stephen and Jeff, are more than willing to help too. Post more updates when you get 'em.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0si,1992 Nissan Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by rsk View Post
    Hi group

I am new here. Read through the posts and gained a lot of knowledge abt the importation process. I am planning to import a 2001 Z3.From reading this forum I figure following would be my total cost to get the car on Canadian road. I would appreciate if one of you could let me know if I have covered all the charges. Also pls let me know if the price I am about to pay for the car is reasonable. The car is a 1 owner car with abt 60k miles on it and is in good condition. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Car 15000
    Shipping from FL to Detroit 1000
    Letter of admissibility 500
    Recall Letter 350
    DRL 250
    RIV Fee 200
    A/C Tax 100
    GST 750
    Duty 900
    PST 1050
    Two Inspections 200

Total Cost = 20300

PS : I am importing it into ON
    Cheers
    rsk
    Hi
    Also new to group
    Please bear in mind that Duty is not required if the Vehicle is "sufficiently manufactured in North America" ie Z4 and Z3
    Also it is my understanding that the "Letter of Admissibility" must be presented at the Canadian Border when importing the vehicle, so you should have it with you
    I am in the process of importing 06 Z4 3.0SI in the next couple of weeks.
    I'll post my experiences when it is done
    **the riv.ca site no longer lists letter of admissability under BMW, apparently this requirement has been dropped by BMW Canada yeh!!!**
    Took the ferry to Tsawwassen on Wednesday July 23,2008 and dealer (I5 Autogroup) picked me up at ferry terminal.
    Christina knew all the back roads and we eventually crossed at Lynden crossing (Aldergrove) as Peace Arch and Truck crossing were stupid busy.
    Arrived at dealer, exchanged pleasantries, signed papers and I'm good to go. The dealer faxed papers to Sumas but way less busy than Truck crossing (the only crossings you can EXPORT from US)
    Partially cloudy day so top down, GPS programmed (not BMW nav package) and I'm off
    Arrive at border, US Customs 10 minutes NO CASH, Canadian Customs 1 hour and $1800 later I'm winding my way into Abbottsford for late lunch.
    Make my way back to ferry terminal and darn, just missed Duke point ferry, but Swartz Bay leaving in 10 minutes
    get to enjoy a nice drive up island with top up though as WA state permit not visible from back window and didn't want to take too many chances
    arrived home in one piece and dog is happy to see me.
    Called my dealer in Victoria (handling paperwork on this side) and is affiliated with I5 to arrange trip to BMW dealer in Victoria
    apparently was already arranged for following Tuesday. Confirmed with agent on Monday night that they would have it finished in a day as I come from up island.
    Arrived at dealer Tuesday AM before service department open. First customer there and I am told outright it is a "2 day job" to reprogram DRL and Odometer.
    I explained that I received confirmation the previous evening that the work could be finished in a day. Hung around Victoria all day and not one message to my cell.
    Arrived back at dealer by 4:00 PM (they close at 5:30) and am told they could not get it done in one day scramble to call my sister who has to drive in from Langford so I can crash on couch, get brother to look after dog back home, obviously not very happy with BMW Victoria. They took the entire second day as well with the car not ready until 4:00 - 2 days to program DRLs and Odometer!!
    The camel that breaks my back is for the aggravation, the $1000 price tag (service + recall letter), they didn't even wash the car
    when I get my letter (they said 10- 15 business days) I will be writing the Principle Dealer a letter explaining why he won't see me as a service customer either.
    does anyone out there know how long it should take to "reprogram a Z4"?
    * 10-15 business days turned into form 2 being e-mailed the very next day!!
    arranged for out of country, and out of province inspections at Wheaton Pontiac Buick in Nanaimo (the only other choice for federal is Crappy tire)
    insured and plated that night
    from time of pickup in Bellingham to plates on the car, 9 days!!
    thanks for all the tips and info on this site.
    as long as all your ducks are in a row, the process of importing was not that bad, and in the end i saved between 16-18K on a loaded 2006 Z4 3.0SI
    (6000 miles, Monaco Blue with Oregon Beige leather and brushed aluminum trim, i will switch out for light wood some day)
    Last edited by sonoman5; 08-02-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: new information

My Cars
    2005 325I

buying from private seller

Hi group

I am buying a 2001 z3 from a private seller in CA. I would like to know what are the documents I need to obtain from the private seller before I bring the car to the border. I am planning to ship it from SFO to Detroit and then drive it from Detroit to Toronto. In this case what temp permit I need to get and from where.
    Pls note that I have a set of spare license plates from the car I just sold. Can I use them to drive it from detroit to toronto.

Thanks for all your help

rsk

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe, 1992 Civic Si EG
    The "Letter of Admissibility" from a Canadian BMW dealer is no Longer required to import a BMW. I went to inform myself directly at the border on the N.Y state line. This just started as of last week.
    So please do not take this step if you are going to import you are wasting your money if you do so.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe & 1998 VW Golf GTI VR6
    Better still, along with the no longer required “Letter of Admissibility” (the result of recent amendments to US & Canadian Harmonization), as of early last week you do NOT require a Recall Clearance Letter to be exclusively issued by BMW Canada – at an additional out of pocket expense of $500 – clearly a cash grab from BMW Canada in a failed attempt to generate revenue from lost sales to the US market.

I just imported a 1999 M Coupe this past weekend (private sale) and had made prior arrangements with a local BMW Dealer in the US to perform a complete inspection ($85.00 USD) and had them issue a Recall Clearance Letter at NO additional charge. I had submitted this along with my Form 1 to RIV and there were NO ISSUES. I recommend using either fax or email to submit your Form 1 with Recall Clearance Letter as it took RIV just 1 day process and email back my Form 2. Just to be clear, your Recall Clearance Letter should include the following details:

1) Your vehicle year, make, model and VIN# et al.
    2) To be printed on formal BMW Letterhead by an Authorized BMW Dealership.
    3) Print out stating that the vehicle has no outstanding recalls (NO OPEN CAMPAIGNS).
    4) Vehicle History Report Printout or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry Printout. (Repair History)

So before you decide or think you have to cough up $500 to BMW Canada to issue a Recall Clearance Letter, DO otherwise.

If you call RIV to confirm, they may still advise you that the Recall Letter MUST be issued by BMW Canada. Out of curiosity i called RIV today (3 separate occasions) after receiving my Form 2 and only one representative advised me that it was permissible to obtain and submit a Recall Clearance Letter issued by a US Authorized BMW Dealership along with your Form 1. Evidently there are inconsistencies in what is being advised. In any case it worked for me here in Ontario. And just to add insult to injury (and i empathize with all those who had to shell out that dough – good luck on your class action lawsuit BTW), i called a local BMW Dealership here in Ontario and they are still issuing Recall Letters at $500 a head – unbelievable.

BTW i'm "new" here...just signed up today (one of “those” looking in from the outside & reading the forums for a while now) Anyhow, i hope this helps at least one person in reconsidering importing a car from State side to ours and not having to factor in additional costs for no reason at all.

Cheers.

My Cars
    325xi

Letter of Admiss. still needed.

I wrote a terse mail to BMW Canada and they replied that the fee is still being charged.

My Cars
    2001 540i6, Subaru Impreza RS
    Quote Originally Posted by exeye325 View Post
    I wrote a terse mail to BMW Canada and they replied that the fee is still being charged.
    That's very peculiar, I just brought my 2001 E39 last week, no letter of admissibility was necessary at the border, and that's exactly what BMW Canada told me the week before when I called them about it.

My Cars
    I just brought mines over today no need for the letter of admissibility.
    So don't get screwed by getting it

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i Conv
    I knew I would find something like this here!

Thanks for all the hard work/research!

BTW...I'm a noob here.

My Cars
    Hey Trebeks Stach3
    PM me the phone Number of your dealer I rather pay 85$ for stamped printed recall clearance & Vehicle history versus giving these Canadian BMW Stealership their extorsion money.
    This is my first Bimmer & most likely my last.
    I will most likely go for a Lexus as my daily driver after what BMW Canada has done to everyone who imported BMW's from the U.S.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i Conv
    I contacted a BMW dealer in Seattle...they told me that they are not able to sell a car that will be exported to Canada. Anyone else run into this? Is it just in this area because they are close to the US/Canada border? Do I need to go further south?

I have a hard time parting with $50K plus up here for a 335i when I can pick one up in the US for less then $40K. I'm sure I'm not the only one LOL.

I was also thinking of having my brother buy one as he lives in Seattle and then I would buy it from him at his cost.

Any thoughts on this?

Please let me know if I posted this in the wrong area...I am new here...please forgive me.
    Last edited by ScottyJ; 08-16-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Wrong area??

My Cars
    325xi
    Try talking to a broker.

My Cars
    2007 E90
    [quote=ScottyJ;13871442]I contacted a BMW dealer in Seattle...they told me that they are not able to sell a car that will be exported to Canada. Anyone else run into this? Is it just in this area because they are close to the US/Canada border? Do I need to go further south?

I was also thinking of having my brother buy one as he lives in Seattle and then I would buy it from him at his cost.
    quote]

A US dealer won't sell a NEW vehicle to you, but they will certainly sell a previously owned one. I picked up a 07 335 dealer demo in July 08 which was titled once already, and that's all that's needed.

If you really want a brand-new one, anyone with a US address can buy one on your behalf, then sell it to you, then you bring it across the border Of course, then you're paying state taxes when the car is bought in the states, then paying Cdn taxes at the border and local licencing bureau. Note that there will be a delay before you can bring it across the border since you'll have to wait for the title to be mailed to the US address.

My Cars
    2003 E39-530i Sport
    I use an address of a friend in the US for certain subscription purposes. Would I be able, to the best of your knowledge, buy directly using said US address ??

My Cars
    E36 318iS, E36 M3
    Can we get an update on the first page with the new changes please
    - BMW - BMW Motorsport - UUC - Eibach - Tokico - ZKW! - Predator Chromium - Prolumen - ViS - Depos - Simota - Rieger - M Technic - Lamin X - Goodyear - MYCARR

My Cars
    332is
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcletus View Post
    I use an address of a friend in the US for certain subscription purposes. Would I be able, to the best of your knowledge, buy directly using said US address ??
    You couldn't buy directly unless you could prove you are a resident of the United States. Whether or not your subscription address would work out is another question entirely, but if it's just a PO box then I have my doubts. However, if you do actually have a friend down there, they could always purchase the car for you and then sell it to you second hand as a "used" car. Like a previous poster mentioned however, you'll be waiting on the title and the warranty status of your car would be in question.

Quote Originally Posted by azngouki View Post
    Can we get an update on the first page with the new changes please
    I'd be happy to, but I'm not really sure of the new changes you're referring to. What information are you looking for?

My Cars
    '00 M5 '02 325xit
    Someone should edit the first post to let us know that the $500 ass-ream piece of paper from bmw is no longer needed. It sure had me fuming for about 10 minutes lol!

Also what's the difference if you bring your own car when you move ?

Also how are the fees determined? And what does GST and PST mean?

GST
    Duty
    PST
    Last edited by jfboy; 09-23-2008 at 03:00 AM.

My Cars
    332is
    Quote Originally Posted by jfboy View Post
    Someone should edit the first post to let us know that the $500 ass-ream piece of paper from bmw is no longer needed. It sure had me fuming for about 10 minutes lol!

Also what's the difference if you bring your own car when you move ?

Also how are the fees determined? And what does GST and PST mean?

GST
    Duty
    PST
    Do you know for sure that it's not needed in every case?
    Fees are determined as a percentile of the stated value. GST is Goods and Services Tax (federal), Duty is the border tax, and PST is the provincial sales tax. PST varies on the province (Alberta doesn't have PST, BC is 6% iirc), GST is 6%, duty is 7%. I'm pretty sure those are the right numbers, but they could be off by 1%.

Not sure if there's any difference if it's your car when you move, but if you're staying for less than 3 months you don't have to bother importing it.

My Cars
    N/A
    hecuter,

Great thread man, this is excellent info for those of us who are considering importing. I had one question about the U.S. warranty though - how much of it is transferable over to Canada? I just spoke with a BMW salesman at one of the U.S. dealerships that I'm thinking of purchasing from, and he said that only 2 years of the original warranty carries over because it's an international purchase, even for CPO models.

This is pretty discouraging, because one would think that you pay a bit of a premium for a CPO model for the assurance that the CPO 2 year extended warranty + 4 original warranty provides. This would effectively be a dealbreaker for me as far as importing goes, so I just wanted to clarify if what he said about the warranty was true or not.

Lastly, if it's true, what options do I have? Can I purchase an extended warranty from my local BMW dealership, and how much would it cost approx.?

Thanks in advance dude.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast