Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More Rock Chips

My Cars
    2003 530i 2012 X3

No More Rock Chips

Black cars and rocks don't make best friends. I finally found excellent solution. Sean from UltimateShield.com hooked me up with clear shield he installed on front of car. I was amazed how it looked after he was done. Low rez photos suck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 530i Sport; Blk/Blk; 6 spd; Brembo; Dinan Stage 2; BBS RS-GT; Zionville
    VF Engineering SC V3 for sale here: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...E39-6-Cylinder

My Cars
    |e39|e30sed|e30coup|
    That looks good!

Its just a bra right?

how much does it cover, and if you dont mind me asking, where did you have it done, and how much was it, I am also in Socal.

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    but uhh wont it trap moisture and screw ur paint?

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    2003 Dinan SC 540/6 M
    Nice! It's money very well spent if you want to keep your paint chip free.

The previous owner of my car had it done so, when I bought it the car was almost free from chips. I think the whole car has 10 little chips. I had it redone when I bought the car.

How much of the car did he do?

I have the front of the hood, front of fenders, headlights, foglights, sideskirts ,mirrors and the complete front bumper.

My Cars
    2003 Dinan SC 540/6 M
    Quote Originally Posted by fragzem View Post
    but uhh wont it trap moisture and screw ur paint?
    It's not one of those black bras. Its clear adhesive film that covers what ever you want. you wash it and wax it like it was the paint. Unless you come real close to the car you will not see it. You can't even see it in any of the pics of my car.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540I/6
    any up close pictures?

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinV View Post
    It's not one of those black bras. Its clear adhesive film that covers what ever you want. you wash it and wax it like it was the paint. Unless you come real close to the car you will not see it. You can't even see it in any of the pics of my car.
    really? now thats pretty awesome.. esp since my hood just got painted coz of the fan clutch disaster....

where is the stuff readily available?

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Bavauto sells the clear bras. its good stuff. I want it too but i think i should take care of the 20-30 chips I have lol.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2003 530i 2012 X3

Not a bra; covers entire front end

It is kinda pricey because it is a custom application. But I won't have to paint the car and it will look sweet for the long run -- so its worth it. I had the entire front end done including the front bumper; headlights; fog lights; hood; R/L quarter panel and mirrors.

Sean had to do a custom application because there isn't a "kit" for the whole front of the car. It is an adhesive, so no water will get under it and it does not lift, peel or yellow. Sean provides a spray on application which you wipe off to keep it clean and protected.

I was literally amazed how good it looks. Just go to UltimateShield.com and call Sean - - he actually picks up the phone and does all of the work himself.
    VF Engineering SC V3 for sale here: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...E39-6-Cylinder

My Cars
    '01 330ci, '00 528iT, '89 325is
    Friend of mine.
    www.AutoPaintGuard.com
    I get it done to all of my vehicles.

My Cars
    '99 540i/6sp Sports Package
    is the process reversible?
    _____

My Cars
    2003 Dinan SC 540/6 M
    Quote Originally Posted by PGH540BIMMER View Post
    is the process reversible?
    You just peel it off. It will not pull the paint.

My Cars
    2003 Dinan SC 540/6 M
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero530i View Post
    It is kinda pricey because it is a custom application. But I won't have to paint the car and it will look sweet for the long run -- so its worth it. I had the entire front end done including the front bumper; headlights; fog lights; hood; R/L quarter panel and mirrors.

Sean had to do a custom application because there isn't a "kit" for the whole front of the car. It is an adhesive, so no water will get under it and it does not lift, peel or yellow. Sean provides a spray on application which you wipe off to keep it clean and protected.

I was literally amazed how good it looks. Just go to UltimateShield.com and call Sean - - he actually picks up the phone and does all of the work himself.
    They did the whole hood? or just the front of it? Same with the front fenders?

My Cars
    BMW 540, 530 :)
    It's just clear window tint type material. It's held in place by surface tension. It's a carry over from motorcycle front end/head light protectors.

It costs about $.50 to make and sells for 10,000% markup. I prefer a leather bra for the winter seasons matched with mirror bras also. Strangely in 40K the car has no rock chips. I think that standard Black paint is much softer and thinner then the metallic finish on our cars. Metallic looks thicker and harder, this giving better protection.

My Cars
    2003 Dinan SC 540/6 M
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    It's just clear window tint type material. It's held in place by surface tension. It's a carry over from motorcycle front end/head light protectors.

It costs about $.50 to make and sells for 10,000% markup. I prefer a leather bra for the winter seasons matched with mirror bras also. Strangely in 40K the car has no rock chips. I think that standard Black paint is much softer and thinner then the metallic finish on our cars. Metallic looks thicker and harder, this giving better protection.
    I don't know which product you have seen but the 3M Film is alot thicker than window film and its flexible and stretches to match the contours of the car.
    Maybe it's very cheap to make. It's actually cheap to buy. What people charge you is for a flawless instalation, of which is not easy to do. I have seen some DIY jobs and these people even cut into their paint to trim the film.

My Cars
    BMW 540, 530 :)
    I don't know which product you have seen but the 3M Film is alot thicker than window film and its flexible and stretches to match the contours of the car.
    Maybe it's very cheap to make. It's actually cheap to buy. What people charge you is for a flawless instalation, of which is not easy to do. I have seen some DIY jobs and these people even cut into their paint to trim the film.
    True on all accounts. But it's the same thickness as static cling window tint. Just clear.

My Cars
    '97 540i, '10 Vette GS
    I was waiting for you to post the "after" pics Nice, clean job. Congrats.

04/1997 Build Date. 84,000 miles. Mods limited to black BMW roundel front license plate, wheel locks and an M5 rear trunk lip spoiler. 12" Kicker sub and amp in the trunk.

My Cars
    2003 Dinan SC 540/6 M
    Quote Originally Posted by 540i6sport View Post
    I was waiting for you to post the "after" pics Nice, clean job. Congrats.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=803043

Look at the nose of the car, The whole nose of the car is done and you can't see it.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540I/6
    wow!

My Cars
    2003 530i 2012 X3

The entire hood and fenders

They did the whole hood? or just the front of it? Same with the front fenders?
    They did the entire hood and fenders. Sean is at www.UltimateShield.com

My Cars
    2003 530i 2012 X3

Hardly

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post

There are many different qualities of materials. This material is not akin to window tint. Additionally, you are paying for the skill of the application. This was a custom job and Sean did such a stellar job that you can't tell its on the car. So no moe can just slap the crap on. BTW a bra won't protect your car from chips higher than the bra which this material will. I should know I tried many different types of materials including bras which actually rub against the paint and scratch the crap out of it.

My Cars
    2003 530i 2012 X3

Spot on

You are spot on. My product was made by Avery but 3M puts out a similar product and there are others. Sean's prior work including many many higher exotics i.e., garage queens. You don't have to take my word just go to his site and check out his work www.UltimateShield.com.

I am so stoked I thought it was the only thing to do which is give props to such stellar work.

My Cars
    2003 530i 2012 X3

Photo on left Top of Post is the car complete

BTW: FYI the photograph on the left at the top of my post is showing the completed job with the entire front end covered. The only visible trace is a slight orange peel which illuminates more in artificial light.

My Cars
    '98 528i 98k 5-SPP
    I installed one of those way back in '99...it was called X-Pel made by 3m. Clear film applied to hood, and fenders.

the big internet buzz was that it won't crack or yellow.
    W/in 5 yrs. it's yellowed and cracked. Tried to peel it off mechanically...but it got me nowhere. It's stuck on there real good.
    Several rocks blew past the film, and tore through ...scratched the hood paint underneath.

As far as it being custom cut for your car and there isn't a kit available, they have them pre-cut, you can get them from BavAuto or from Pacific BMW or Crevier BMW.

My Cars
    2003 Dinan SC 540/6 M
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero530i View Post
    They did the entire hood and fenders. Sean is at www.UltimateShield.com
    Wow! the whole thing. That's a hell of a job to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast