6 35.29%
  • EBC Yellow

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The UUC SSBC BBK Pad Decision poll 2007:

My Cars
    I lost count

The UUC SSBC BBK Pad Decision poll 2007:

Alright, so I've got the old UUC BBK on my supercharged 328i that I will be using for an upcoming time attack in street class on Bridgestone RE01R tires with TC Kline coilovers(450/500). The issue is that the pad FMSI # is a D531, stock 3000GT VR4 pad, it's a pretty beefy pad but there aren't many street/track pads available for it from what I've found. The choices that I am aware of are:

Carbotech AX6
    Carbotech XP8
    Cobalt Friction XR3
    Cobalt Friction XR4
    Hawk HP+
    Hawk Blue
    PFC Z-Rated
    PFC 01
    Porterfield R4S
    Porterfield R4
    EBC Yellow

So any recommendations between these?
    Last edited by Nihilation; 08-15-2007 at 12:46 PM.

My Cars
    No racecars...
    Dont go with the HP+, I have them on my car now. They are a squeaky, dusty, over glorified autocross pad.

My Cars
    e46 e86 e70
    Pfc
    Ashley

My Cars
    yes
    I have limited experience but the PFC Z-Rated pads have performed flawlessly for me. I've done 6 DE's and about 1000 miles of street driving with them over the last 4-5 months and they've been excellent.

Again, I don't have a lot of experience with the other choices but I'm very impressed with the Z-Rated pads.

Don

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Which track are you going to be running at?

Skip the R4S as that is a street compound. same w/ the PFC-Z

HP+ is ok, but for heavy track use they wont be very good. This is a TimeAttack so you should be ok. You can also consider Carbotech as well.

Will you be swapping pads out for the event? If so, Id leave whatever you have for the street, then get a more aggressive track compound for the event.

Here are some other options and their associated retail prices:

HP+: $100
    Hawk Blue: $140
    PFC Z: $92ish
    PFC01s: $200
    R4S: $107
    R4: $167
    Carbotech XP8: $159
    Carbotech AX6: $148

You running street pads in the rear? Stock E36 fitment?
    Last edited by magnetic1; 08-15-2007 at 11:18 AM.
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    I lost count
    Sup Eric,

Are those pads you listed all available in the D531 fitment? Right now I have no pads at all for the front. The calipers are out being rebuilt but the rotors are still alright. My plan was to keep the same pads for the track as I do for the street. As far the the rear pads go I believe they are stock, but I'm actually really not sure but they are definitely stock fitment. Front pads are easy enough to change with this brake kit so I'm not opposed to swapping pads in the front but I'd like to keep the same pads in the rear at all times. This car is my daily driver but I also use it for DE's and Time Attacks. My track of choice is the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point but will most likely make a few more visits to VIR.
    Last edited by Nihilation; 08-15-2007 at 12:05 PM.

My Cars
    I lost count
    Those Carbotech AX6's don't sound too bad...

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilation View Post
    Those Carbotech AX6's don't sound too bad...
    Those are all D531 FMSI. Id skip the AX6 and get XP8. AX6 will still make tons of noise/dust on the street. So why not get tons of noise/dust w/ XP8 and have better track performance?
    Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    I just ran Corbo XP10s and really liked them. Im going to run Cobalt XR3 pads next.

I have a lightly used set of Hawk Blues if you want to give them a try $75 shipped
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    I lost count
    Eric- Are you saying I could drive around daily with XP8's?

CAbimmer- Do you have this same brake kit?

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Eric- Are you saying I could drive around daily with XP8's?

CAbimmer- Do you have this same brake kit?
    You can. It will just make tons of noise and dust. Which would be the same with the AX6.

I have a few customers who run XP8 on the street. They just dont care about the noise and dust
    Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    I lost count
    Do you have the XP8's in stock? Could I get a set by Saturday morning? Selling my Z on Friday so the BMW will be my only car. Assuming the calipers get shipped back to me by then the only thing missing would be the pads.

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Yes, I have the same kit. Have used XP10s on the steet for over a year full auto-x season and 5 track days. they have about 25% left. Noise is not that bad but they dust alot. Car only gets driven to and from the track. with a few runs to the store to keep my battery charged

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    2001 325Ci, 1993 740iL
    Hi. I have nothing to add to the discussion, but I was wondering: would you please let us know what your suppliers are for these pads? I did an extensive search for just the same thing last night, and I could only find the Hawks you mention and the EBC pads. Thanks!

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    AX6's won't handle your power level on track. My Nissan was destroying those pads once they got a little wear on them.

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    AX6's won't handle your power level on track. My Nissan was destroying those pads once they got a little wear on them.
    He would be using them for a Time Attack, so they would be ok. However, I recommended that he at least get XP8s. I think they would work well with his "street" tires.
    Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
    He would be using them for a Time Attack, so they would be ok. However, I recommended that he at least get XP8s. I think they would work well with his "street" tires.
    I'm on street tires and with about 260-270rwhp on track they lasted about 2 laps before transferring horrible amounts of pad material. I have 300ZX brakes on my Nissan, so stock brakes on a 320bhp 3600 lb car on a 320-330bhp 2500 lb car.

After wearing about 10-20% of the pad off, they never withstood track abuse after that - just transferred pad material. New rotors, ducting, letting other people drive the car - nothing helped. They were just not up to the task of that much power.

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Put on the XR3s last night. Running them at a BMW CCA race school at the end of the month. I will post findings. The quality on the Cobalts is smoken. They look great. I did have to run a drill through the pin holes for mounting the pads because the coating was a little thick.

Got them from

www.vtmotorsport.com

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    I'm on street tires and with about 260-270rwhp on track they lasted about 2 laps before transferring horrible amounts of pad material. I have 300ZX brakes on my Nissan, so stock brakes on a 320bhp 3600 lb car on a 320-330bhp 2500 lb car.

After wearing about 10-20% of the pad off, they never withstood track abuse after that - just transferred pad material. New rotors, ducting, letting other people drive the car - nothing helped. They were just not up to the task of that much power.

That is why I suggested XP8s

The AX6 should be ok for Time Attack, but it is much like the HP+. Not a huge fan of "double duty" type pads.
    Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    Z3 2.3, Isetta 300
    So, I can't be the only one having this problem.... (sorta OT, but related).

I have these on my E46 M3, and it seems I go through cotter pins and the long pins that hold the pads in like crazy. It is a bit scary, I check them before each session, but there has to be a better way...

What are you guys doing? Buying 200 cotter pins from SSBC and call it a day? I have not found a good replacement at Lowes or Home Depot - they have some that are much thinner, and last about as long as it takes to put them on...

Or am I the only one with this issue?
    EX-NASA SpecE30 Racer---NASA Florida Certified Instructor

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Alright, so I've got the old UUC BBK on my supercharged 328i
    Does that kit use a standard Wilwood caliper? If so, I would stick with Wilwood pads. I'm very happy with the Q-Compound for street and light track use. It would make a good time-attack pad.

If you want something more aggressive, there are plenty of other compounds available. Just talk with a Wilwood rep and figure out what's best for your needs.

The choices that I am aware of are:

Carbotech AX6
    Carbotech XP8
    Cobalt Friction XR3
    Cobalt Friction XR4
    Hawk HP+
    Hawk Blue
    PFC Z-Rated
    PFC 01
    Porterfield R4S
    Porterfield R4
    EBC Yellow

So any recommendations between these?
    Among the pads you've listed, I have personal experience with around 50% of them. I would choose Carbotech XP-9's if you're running street tires.

Emre

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Quote Originally Posted by jblack View Post
    So, I can't be the only one having this problem.... (sorta OT, but related).

I have these on my E46 M3, and it seems I go through cotter pins and the long pins that hold the pads in like crazy. It is a bit scary, I check them before each session, but there has to be a better way...

What are you guys doing? Buying 200 cotter pins from SSBC and call it a day? I have not found a good replacement at Lowes or Home Depot - they have some that are much thinner, and last about as long as it takes to put them on...

Or am I the only one with this issue?
    I dont have any issues with this. I am on my 4th set of pads with no issues.

I did however notice that the front or rear of my pads was lower than the other. Didnt notice till they were out of the car, so I dont know if it is the front side or rear side of the pads.

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Does that kit use a standard Wilwood caliper?

No. It is a SSBC caliper

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    Z3 2.3, Isetta 300
    Quote Originally Posted by CABimmer View Post
    I dont have any issues with this. I am on my 4th set of pads with no issues.

I did however notice that the front or rear of my pads was lower than the other. Didnt notice till they were out of the car, so I dont know if it is the front side or rear side of the pads.

Looks like we each have our own separate issues! No pad taper issue here (I even noted that the pad wear was more even than the stockers....

And yes, SSBC calipers....
    EX-NASA SpecE30 Racer---NASA Florida Certified Instructor

My Cars
    it's no E30 :/
    sorry to bump this thread, but I installed my ssbc kit about a month ago, but it came with racing pads, and I want to buy street pads before I start "destroying" the rotors with the racing pads and I need to get rid of the squeakiness

which pads would any of you recommend for only street purpose? and where can I buy them?

this is for a 332mm ssbc kit
    R.I.P. Louie: TehPandaShow gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast