Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Will 20mm offset fit E36???

My Cars
    three2five

Question Will 20mm offset fit E36???

I've been searching for rims the past few days and have come to notice that many replica manufacturers put out 20mm offset wheels for E36/E46 body styles.

Will these wheels fit? : ... I thought the proper offset to get for our cars were 35-41mm.

How will the 20mm offset rims sit? Will spacers be required?

I'm not familiar with how offset effects where the rim sits. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Lates.
    Vagina- The box a pen!s comes in.

My Cars
    2008 G37S 6MT
    i have 20mm on mine, acquired through a previous car... With the new shocks that lowered the car, I can't even drive it anymore. Major fender work will need to be done for it to properly fit without rubbing.

It rode ok at stock height, without anything in the back.. But once one person got in that back, it was back to rubbing.

If I were you I'd avoid it...

My Cars
    three2five
    Cruzmisl,

Thanks for your response bro, I think you just saved me alot of money and time.

So the 20 mm offset must allow the rear wheels to sit too close to the inner part of the wheel well, generating rub from a lowered suspension.

I guess that's why the rears run 38-41mm offset.

Do your front's rub at all?

I think it's okay to have 20mm offset in the front, and 38-41 for the rear. I would assume that it's safe to run the 20mm offset in the rear if you use spacers?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My Cars
    2008 G37S 6MT
    The fronts are fine right now, although I haven't lowered the front yet... I don't think using them in the rear will work without popping out the fender a bit, because the wheels stick out pretty far.

If you really wanted to, you could find a way to raise the car, and give it more leeway when you hit a bump or something..

This would look way funny though.

My Cars
    So the 20 mm offset must allow the rear wheels to sit too close to the inner part of the wheel well, generating rub from a lowered suspension.

I guess that's why the rears run 38-41mm offset.
    the lower the offset, the further the wheel is towards the fender..so if you have 20mm offset, the wheel will hit the fender if your car is lowered. in this case, 20mm wheel won't even fit E36 M3 rears without major fender pulling..rolling is not even enuf.

20mm is probably fine on the fronts but the wheels will stick out very far, like you have spacers..for the fronts, 38-41m is perfect..

I think it's okay to have 20mm offset in the front, and 38-41 for the rear. I would assume that it's safe to run the 20mm offset in the rear if you use spacers?

Please correct me if I'm wrong
    with the 20mm offset, you don't even need spacers since the wheels will probably stick outside the fenders already..you will want to use spacers on the rear if you have a high offset on the rear, like 46mm, since the higher the offset, the further the wheels are towards the suspension....

for lowered E36M3, ideal offset for the front is 38-41 and rear is 41-44...38mm on all corners will be fine also with slight fender roll on the rears.

clear as mud?
    2000 CTSC NSX
    2007 Acura TL-S

My Cars
    three2five
    Originally posted by Thumbnail

clear as mud?
    hahahahaaLOL... clearer than two girls wrestling in it

That makes a ton more sense... I was thinkin' of it the other way around. Thanks for defining the offsets for me. I'll make sure to note the offsets when I purchase some rims.

BTW, nice choice in color

My Cars
    1997 318i vert
    Resurrecting a zombie thread here. I have a 97 e36 convertible that needs 4 tires to keep it off the ground while I part it out. Not planning on driving it more than a couple blocks. Will I be able to put some 16x7 20mm offset borbets on it and not ruin anything?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by foRRREVerz View Post
    I've been searching for rims the past few days and have come to notice that many replica manufacturers put out 20mm offset wheels for E36/E46 body styles. Will these wheels fit? : ... I thought the proper offset to get for our cars were 35-41mm. How will the 20mm offset rims sit? Will spacers be required? I'm not familiar with how offset effects where the rim sits. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance for any input! Lates.
    To answer your question. Yes +20 offset will fit, you will have to slightly stretch the tires and possibly roll/pull your fenders. No spacers are required.
    SMurfBlUe 96 328i - Gone
    WRB On Gold BBS 02 WRX "Stage 3" - Gone
    Black 93 325is on Roadstars - getting ready for turbo
    White 2010 WRX IAG Stage 2 TUFF 400awhp daily

My Cars
    e36m3<3 & a e30
    offsets mean nothing without knowing the width

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    He gave the width (the guy who bumped a thread from 2003) 16x7 +20. The OP did not but I can only assume he's not going to check this thread 11 years later. You should be fine with a 16x7 +20 on an e36. Only issue is inner clearence but I don't think it will be a problem. It's actually funny to see how people reacted to a lower offset on these cars back then. The limit has been pushed way beyond this now. haha

My Cars
    E36 318is 1995
    going to try and bring this back from the dead now!

I have a '95 318is coupe running stock suspenssion.....

looking at a set of rims.....

18" not too sure on the width but they have 225/40 tyres with a slight stretch, so i guess 8 width?
    et18 apparently?

I dont think they are going to fit without a fight but would love to hear your opinons!