Thread: Engine with NO coolant...

My Cars
    1996 328i

Engine with NO coolant...

My brother recently bought a 325 and was driving it to an inspection facility and the fan "exploded" and put holes in the radiator etc. So he had it towed to our house and it sits on the driveway and nothing has been done with it, I figure sooner or later its going to have to be moved... So my question is, will your engine be fucked immediately if you turn it on without any coolant or will it run for a certain amount of time before something happens to do, and if so how long does it have...? Sorry If this is the wrong place to put this but I didnt know where else to post this.

My Cars
    M3
    do not try to drive it with no coolant, your engine will dry lock. you will be f--ked

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by FatJohn325 View Post
    do not try to drive it with no coolant, your engine will dry lock. you will be f--ked
    Dry-lock? And haha you mean HE will be fucked lol

My Cars
    2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK430, 92 325i/4
    Do not drive the car without coolant. that is a really bad idea. TOW IT.

(2) your fan clutch was bad, which caused the fan to wobble and hit the radiator (they are very close together), which caused the damage. You'll need to buy a new fan/fan clutch, radiator and replace the thermostat and housing.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWg84 View Post
    Do not drive the car without coolant. that is a really bad idea. TOW IT.

(2) your fan clutch was bad, which caused the fan to wobble and hit the radiator (they are very close together), which caused the damage. You'll need to buy a new fan/fan clutch, radiator and replace the thermostat and housing.
    Lol its not MY car I have my own 325 this lemon is my brothers car.

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is
    Yes, it will run for a certain amount of time before something happens. But not long enough to get him safely down to the mechanic, if that's what he's thinking. Tow it or fix it yourself.

More correctly, your water pump is probably bad. The fan clutch is bolted directly to the WP pulley. Take the belt off and see if there's any play in the water pump shaft. fan clutch might be okay, but look at it too while you're in there.
    9/2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, black, purchased March 2016, 270k miles.
    6/99 740i Cosmos Schwartz M Sport, 214k miles, purchased May 2017
    2001 740i OrientBlau M Sport, purchased March 2023
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, Blue/White, PCM Ford 351W, PowerSlot, 912 hours, purchased September 2012 (not a car )
    4/99 323is/5. Titansilber, 211k miles. Straight body project.

past BMWs: 5/1994 325isa (Arktisgrau), 3/1997 328is/5 (cosmosschwartz), 9/1990 535i/5 (calypsorot), 9/1990 318i/5 (brillantrot) 7/93 325i/5 convertible (samoablau) 2/92 325i/5 cabriolet (lagunengruen).
    SÜNDE REISEN

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by stradmaster View Post
    Yes, it will run for a certain amount of time before something happens. But not long enough to get him safely down to the mechanic, if that's what he's thinking. Tow it or fix it yourself.

More correctly, your water pump is probably bad. The fan clutch is bolted directly to the WP pulley. Take the belt off and see if there's any play in the water pump shaft. fan clutch might be okay, but look at it too while you're in there.
    Im getting two different opinions here, some say it will fuck up right away, and you say it will be okay for a while, all I want to do is move it down the driveway...

My Cars
    2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK430, 92 325i/4
    Do you know how hot and fast an engine can get without being cooled? omg, you're asking for a lot of problems if you drive that thing more than a block

My Cars
    16 M3
    without the cooling system you have about 45 second to 1 min before your engine is reaching a point of no return...

My Cars
    2.8 i6
    Try it... just kidding. Do you know if the temp needle hit the red? If so, you might also want to get the headgasket checked out. But yeah, don't start your engine without coolant than would definitely equal headgasket/headblock crack.

My Cars
    2010 335i
    do it your self, youll learn something, but get the headgasket checked out
    2010 - BMW 335i M-Sport - Lemans Blue Metallic
    BMW PPK2, JB4 with NLS, Backend Flash, BMW PP Exhaust, Misc Appearance Mods, Boost Addictions Diff Brace, BMS DCIs, BMS Clutch Stop, VRSF Catless DPs

Previous:
    1995 M3
    1998 323is

My Cars
    Looking!
    I agree with every thing that has been said here fix it or tow it. Fixing it isn't that hard.

If you really dont want to fix it you heres a solution that might work long enough to get it to a near by mech. Go to a junkyard and buy a working radiator from any car with similar tubeing (ie you can fit your bmw hoses up to the junk rad). Zip tie the rad on to something. Then replace all of the coolant with distilled water and a bottle of water wetter. It should provide enough cooling to get you to a mech. Just watch the temp gauge closely. and if there are any signs of over heating pull over and wait.

I once went on a surfing trip in mexico where my friends jeep's fan exploded. We did the same thing with an old ghetto mexican rad from some small town. The jeep made it 75 miles to the mech no problems. But your probably better of towing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by promp3 View Post
    are you telling me I need a new clutch!!! that will cost like $150!!! I cant afford that I just bought the dance dance revolution pad!!!

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by 91mat325 View Post
    all I want to do is move it down the driveway...
    push it you big puss

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by 95LTW View Post
    push it you big puss
    +1
    Agreed. If your driveway is flat just push it. If your driveway isn't flat then somebody needs to be the car to manage the brake/parking brake while u push it. I had to push mine several times when I was overhauling the cooling system.

My Cars
    06 Speed 6 // 93 330is
    lazy people nowadays....
    All men's souls are immortal but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine. -Socrates
    Wake up determined, sleep satisfied. -George Lorimer

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    you can drive it for a few seconds to move it on the driveway.. the engine will not warm up too fast in 10 seconds it takes you to move it.

people don't be ridiculous. a few seconds won't hurt a thing..

nothing more than that though.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by 95LTW View Post
    push it you big puss
    Yea ill try pushing it up a 30-35 degree driveway....

My Cars
    Looking!
    Get one one of these http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp if you dont have one.

Find some guy with a jeep or something with a winch. Put the winching car in you garage and attach it to the bimmer. Pull the car into the garage while you and a friend are pushing and steering.
    Quote Originally Posted by promp3 View Post
    are you telling me I need a new clutch!!! that will cost like $150!!! I cant afford that I just bought the dance dance revolution pad!!!