Thread: turbo build thread

My Cars
    84 325e

turbo build thread

i decided to make a build thread of me going FI on the m20 eta motor.
    with a budget of 5 grand. i would like to hear advice from ppl on which one would work better. (e30tech and r3v have been helpfull)
    a lot of things are up in the air as to which i should go. but once i make my final decision it will be ordered.

route 1 :

- 666fab manifold or
    - 666fab manifold adapter

- FMIC with piping from ebay

- SARD r2d2 BOV

- fuel management
    - mega squirt

- 3" turbo back exhaust

- 19# injectors

- spark plugs

- turbo??
    - t3
    - t3/t04

- waste gate
    - internal

- head gasket and studs

- extras
    - oil lines and fittings
    - defi gauges

- apexi turbo timer

so far with taking the highest price and guessTAmation it came to a little under 3 grand so far.

route #2 :

- ebay turbo kit
    - comes with FMIC and piping, oil lines and fittings, t3/t4 turbo, internal wastegate, manifold, bov.

- mega squirt

- head gasket and studs

- spark plugs

- extras
    - gauges
    - turbo timer

- 19# injectors

this came out to be around $2300

hope to keep you all informed as i wish to start this ASAP

thanks
    b
    Last edited by euroNOOB; 08-11-2007 at 10:40 PM.

My Cars
    2016 435xi M Sport
    route 3:

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/tcd_catal.htm
    click on M20 turbo kit
    non intercooled $3875, intercooled $5125

I believe this is also marketed through Ireland Engineering -links are on this page: http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp

Looks like they're boosting about 7 pounds non-intercooled, 10-13 pounds intercooled. haven't heard anything about reliability, but I think that several people on the 5 series forum have had decent results turbocharging their M30s with turbochargingdynamics kits.

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    Brian - I hate to rain on your parafe and be the voice of reason, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

Do you have the $5k to burn? If you do, you will put it into a car that will be worth maybe $5k - $7k if you find a buyer. If you drive the car around and it gets into a wreck, you can kiss that money goodbye as no insurance company will pay you for the mods. Instead, they will give you book value. The same goes if the car is stolen.

I've been there and done that and don't want to see others make the same mistake I made.

My Cars
    '06 4Runner| 77 930| E36
    wow. a boosted m20!!?? damn that sounds sick, never heard of one on the island before. good luck bro i hope to be boosted one day

Powertrain: Big Bore 87mm S50| Boost Logic Gen 2 Mani | BorgWarner S366 | CP 8.5:1 pistons | Eagle Rods | O-Ringed block | Tial 50mm | Precision 46mm | LINK G4 standalone | ZF| F1 stage 3 clutch/15lb ltwfw| UUC Black TM/E| Vorshlag MM's | 3.23LSD w/AKG race bushings| AKG race subframe bushings| 'Bear Motorsports' Re-enforced subframe | Walbro 525lp fp| VPD pulleys| 4'' DP into 3.5 straight pipe"||
    Handling: FK konigsports| '95 M3 strut mounts| Rogue Engineering RSM's| UUC RTAB's| 20mm front spacers| 2915lbs Full interior
    Aesthetics: M3 bumpers| 18''x 8.5/9.5 BBS LMs| ZKW's| 50w 6000k HID| Smoked Corners| 50% wndshld/5% all around| M3 sedan seats F&R| Black headliner| Black/Grey suede door panels| ZHP knob| M3 steering Wheel|

My Cars
    1997 540i
    I'd just go for 666 manifold adapter unless you got big plans.
    Also get urself megasquirt and at leaasst 24# injectors.
    where you gonna get 3" exhaust for $150?
    Hey if ya buy my car you can just pull the motor("325I) and throw it
    in your car.hehe

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beastmaster View Post
    Brian - I hate to rain on your parafe and be the voice of reason, but I'm gonna do it anyway.
    it's too early in the morning...i thought you were being all fancy-schmancy in your verbose reply, and had to google parafe...i didnt know what the fook it was...to me, it sounded like a fancy cake or something...

only after googling it did i realize it was a typo and shoulda read "parade"...

ps- i wonder how many of you are gonna google "verbose"...

My Cars
    too many, yet not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    it's too early in the morning...i thought you were being all fancy-schmancy in your verbose reply, and had to google parafe...i didnt know what the fook it was...to me, it sounded like a fancy cake or something...

I had to google "verbose"...heck and I was like is it the same class of food as "parfait"?

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post

It was 2:30 am. Gimme a break.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    i'm not teasing you, i'm saying i was the idiot who couldnt figure out it was a typo from the beginning...

My Cars
    84 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beastmaster View Post

Do you have the $5k to burn? If you do, you will put it into a car that will be worth maybe $5k - $7k if you find a buyer. If you drive the car around and it gets into a wreck, you can kiss that money goodbye as no insurance company will pay you for the mods. Instead, they will give you book value. The same goes if the car is stolen.

I've been there and done that and don't want to see others make the same mistake I made.

bryan, very true. but thats like all cars no matter what you modify, there will always be a depression of price value. and i understand where you are coming from also from past experiences. but the fact that i have never owned a bmw makes it interesting for me. so i figured instead of giving up on the project and going back to what i love..nissans. i decided to turbo this bad boy. after all im curious to see what improvements it will do.
    inline 6 turbo to me sounds like a beast like a supra. hahaha jk
    and yah, i have a extra 5grand laying in my checkings account and well i honestly was going to buy a 240 shell and drop a sr20 and some decent suspension. but than again, i did that many times already and well time for something new i guess you can say.
    as far as re sell going. its either i pop the motor and than part out or switch everything over to a new and more nicer body e30. 88 +
    im getting bored of the no power m20. i mean i installed a cone filter last nite after hearing some good views about it. but in all honesty it just made my car sound more louder and beefer. but i can always use the filter for the turbo. haha
    boooooooooooooooooosttttt

-b

My Cars
    84 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by Innovation View Post
    I'd just go for 666 manifold adapter unless you got big plans.
    Also get urself megasquirt and at leaasst 24# injectors.
    where you gonna get 3" exhaust for $150?
    Hey if ya buy my car you can just pull the motor("325I) and throw it
    in your car.hehe

i know you had the 666 manifold adapter as you was selling it. but how did it work out for you?
    also the 3" exhaust i get from a friend (barrs muffler) in kaneohe.
    i known him for the last 8 or so years and he did every car i had.
    plus very cheap rates for me..maybe cause i always go to him. -shrugs-
    but even for my 2.5" cat back he only charged me $50 with new hangers and etc.
    24lb injectors..i was reading up on that on e30tech.
    im not going for a full boat 400hp e30. just something to give it a little more peep, something around mid to high 200s safely at like 10psi?
    only thing about MS is finding someone to tune it.
    i know i cant tune it and i dont know anyone down here that can.
    there aint much tuners in hawaii that know what they are doing.
    i know some that tune autronic down in maui and kaneohe.
    and i think if i was to buy your car i would just want the head to stroke that bisssh. haha
    im itchy to order parts as i have sites that are booked marked for them. just waiting for me to click comfirm order. buahahahahaha.

My Cars
    84 325e
    i think im going to settle on defi gauges (boost, egt, oil pressure, water temp.). since my friend is selling some white faced, red light up defi gauges for cheap to me with the link.
    i plan on running them in this pod that i seen on e30tech.
    pretty nice and to think i was going to make one myself when it came time.
    now i can save time and just get these.
    just like this but 3 hole for the top vent. and where the 16 button goes instead of it just blacked out another gauges goes there. so $27 for both of those pods.

i also decided to go with a sard r2d2 bov

apexi pencil TT

nardi suede rally steering wheel and hub

F1 spec type 3 seat in carbon back for driver side

My Cars
    84 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by gsn794 View Post
    route 3:

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/tcd_catal.htm
    click on M20 turbo kit
    non intercooled $3875, intercooled $5125

I believe this is also marketed through Ireland Engineering -links are on this page: http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp

Looks like they're boosting about 7 pounds non-intercooled, 10-13 pounds intercooled. haven't heard anything about reliability, but I think that several people on the 5 series forum have had decent results turbocharging their M30s with turbochargingdynamics kits.

i seen them and read about them. but that that is going to be out of my price range. but the stage one kit is reasonable. i mean with a extra couple hunderd bucks i can get a FMIC with piping off ebay and than MS it as management. but than that will be pushing it to the limit already and out of funds. haha.
    ima still need some funds to tune the car and get other small things in case something happens. but thanks for the link. as it will go down on my list also +1

-b

My Cars
    89 325is
    i wanna go turbo in about 6 months
    your setup/plan look good so far

My Cars
    84 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by Prozak View Post
    i wanna go turbo in about 6 months
    your setup/plan look good so far
    thanks..hopefully we can a boosted e30 cruise.

-b

ohhh by the way, i ordered the ebay turbo kit. should be here within the next 2 weeks or so. hopefully..

and i want to see if its good or not. i know i had one for my honda back than. same company SSauto. it worked perfectly fine and i was able to dyno 215whp to the wheels on my single cam si motor. and able to hit low 13's with it.
    so ill see and if nething all the problems just lead to the manifold.

boooooooooost here i come

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    good luck with everything, I'm sure it will be quite the adventure
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi