Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Settings in GT1/DIS to use the INPA Interface ?

My Cars
    x
    Quote Originally Posted by cerixen View Post
    Hey James,

I think I know what's wrong. I was probably a little fast when I wrote that this DIS V44 was 100% setup and ready to go.

You seem to have everything ready, except you need to configure the unix system for your network. Here is how you do it:

Boot up DIS, when it's started you type the ctrl+sysrq command. This will bring up the login menu. Login as root with your password (I think this version of DIS will ask you to choose a password the first time you login)

At the # unix prompt, type scoadmin

This will start a configuration tool. Using the tab and arrow keys, scroll to networks. Then choose network configuration manager.

Here you delete all the drivers, except the loopback driver (should be the first one)

Then you ADD a new driver. The tool should automatically detect your VMware network adaptors. Choose the first one. Then choose SCO TCP/IP.

The first adaptor should have the name: gt1ap
    and the ip address: 192.168.68.30
    The subnet should be filled out automatic, otherwise it should be: 255.255.255.0

Then you repeat this step for the remaining 2 adaptors. no. 2 should have name gt1ap1 and ip: 192.168.68.31

the 3rd should have name gt1ap2 and ip: 192.168.68.32

When this is setup you should have a total of 4 drivers. 3 adaptors and the loopback driver.

Now you exit the manager. At some point it will ask you to rebuild, re link and boot of this kernel. just answer yes to all this.

Now at the unix prompt, you type init 6 to reboot the whole thing.

And now you should be able to ping DIS from windows. Try it and let me know.

I hope it works,
    cerixen
    Thanks! I had DIS 44 installed and this is what i needed to get my PC and DIS to communicate. I donīt have the vagkkl usb i/f yet (itīs on the way). When i run the apitest it gives me the TIMEOUT error (IFH-Service is running). Whatīs missing here?

My Cars
    BMW E60, Honda Civic
    Hi Rallyfinnen,

Firstly, sorry for the late reply, I was away on work and wasn't able to access the internet.

I think when DIS is asking you for a 1.44M disk, it's trying to save or load the configuration. From what I can gather, DIS in the free diagnostic head section, loads and saves to floppy disks.

I didn't perform Randomy's change the IP to 192.168.68.20. Hence my DIS is still running on .30/.31/.32.

As for communicating with the car, I am still waiting for my USB KKL cable to come in the mail. So this is as far as I have gone with my DIS setup. I'll let you know more after my cable arrives.

Lastly, I would never want anyone to shut up and disappear. So please don't.

Cheers,
    James

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I don't think the IP change is necessary, I only put it int to be complete with the procedure that allowed my car and computer to finally communicate. I also don't think any editing of the hosts file is necessary, but I'll double-check to see if I have anything listed on either of hosts file of the hard system or virtual machine.

My Cars
    x
    Problem solved, apitest is working both way now. I have F-Secure installed and it was blocking the 6801 port, i should have known it lol.

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    I have been concentrating on mechanical things for a while now.. It's good to do some real wrenching to clear out the computer headaches

As far as I understand about general networking (no expert), you can either use a IP, or specify a IP for a host (like in the win hosts-file) and then use the host name instead of the IP in the applications.
    That is why I find it hard to understand why both IP and hostname is needed. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Based on my assumptions above I suspect my problem is somewhere else, since there is a connection between win/ifhserv and the virtual machine.

Could it possibly be some incompability between ediabas versions in virtual machine and windows?

My Cars
    BMW E60, Honda Civic
    Hi Rallyfinnen,

The USB KKL cable just arrived in the mail today so I can try and move further ahead with my 'GT1'...

I know what you mean about doing some real wrenching to clear out the computer headaches. When I had trouble getting the GT1 virtual machine to ping my host computer, I decided to take out and clean all 8 spark plugs in my Honda Civic Hybrid.

On to networking... You are absolutely right about using IP address or a host name with the hosts-file. If you are comfortable using IP alone (like me), you can use IP addresses only (I configured it all using IP addresses alone).

Here are a few questions to see if they help:
    1. Did your GT1 pass the API-test? As seen from http://dvsntt.com/INPA/; do a search for “API test” and look at the screenshots around it.

2. Is the DiagHead emulator on the host PC? *EDIT* I found out that the DiagHead emulator needs to be running to perform diagnostics on the car. While the car was performing a 'Quick Test' I closed the DiagHead emulator and the 'Quick Test' in DIS screeched to a halt.

3. Is the firewall on the host PC turned off?

Hope this helps! Best regards,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyfinnen View Post
    I have been concentrating on mechanical things for a while now.. It's good to do some real wrenching to clear out the computer headaches

As far as I understand about general networking (no expert), you can either use a IP, or specify a IP for a host (like in the win hosts-file) and then use the host name instead of the IP in the applications.
    That is why I find it hard to understand why both IP and hostname is needed. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Based on my assumptions above I suspect my problem is somewhere else, since there is a connection between win/ifhserv and the virtual machine.

Could it possibly be some incompability between ediabas versions in virtual machine and windows?
    Last edited by j4m35; 10-20-2009 at 10:50 AM.

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    Hi!

Hope you get it working with your interface!

To answer your questions:

1 Yes apitest is ok, and has been ok most of the time during my experiments

2 Yes, diaghead emulator running in win (host). I have tried with and without it, because Randomy got it working without. That is also why I have been changing the IP numbers, because Randomy is using .20 (if I remember correct) instead of .30 .31 .32

3. Yes, XP firewall is off.

My Cars
    BMW E60, Honda Civic
    Hi Rallyfinnen,

First of all, the only way I could get INPA to work correctly is to make sure that the Cable is attached as COM1 and the latency of the Virtual Com Port driver is set to 1ms (it was defaulted to 16ms).

I also did the following mods on the Cable later:
    1. Shorted Pin 7 & 8 at the OBD II end; apparently to send the signal to both K-lines on the BMW car side.
    2. Shorted leg 17 & 18 of the FTDI chip (on the circuit board); to force the Battery signal to be ON.
    3. Then I spent a few hours in the afternoon doing the transistor and resistor mod to allow for ignition detection (which in turn allows for automatic detection of the vehicle).

So with the modded cable and latency set to 1ms, I was able to perform diagnostics on the car. Haven't tried any coding yet though.

The funny things I've noticed are:
    1. ifserv (from EDIABAS) is connected to DIS's IP of 192.168.68.32.
    2. DiagHead emulator is also connected to DIS's IP of 192.168.68.32.
    3. When performing diagnostics, the only network adapter having any communication is the one with 192.168.68.32.

This leads me to believe that only 1 network adapter (and not 3) is required for the whole system to run. I've gotta look into this further though.

- James

My Cars
    x
    i did the ignition mod and inverted the RI# with mprog (FT232RL chip), DIS works great

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    Hi!

INPA has always worked (via COM1) during my trials (and errors!) with DIS.

I had the apitest working in several configurations/installations, but never any communication with the car.

I have tried a number of installations and configurations on two different laptops, of which one has a built in serial port, but no luck so far..

I think even a monkey should have been able to get it to work with so many tries!

My Cars
    x
    is it normal that when i connect the cable under admin -> connection setup the lower line of LEDīs go off? diagnosis work normal.
    Last edited by aise; 10-23-2009 at 08:31 AM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by aise View Post
    is it normal that when i connect the cable under admin -> connection setup the lower line of LEDīs go off? diagnosis work normal.
    Interesting. I get the same when I connect to the diaghead but am unable to perform any diagnosis. Out of interest how long goes it take to perform a diagnosis?

When I configure the VM networking as described (using VMNet1) I have no connectivity to the host - even though it's bridged in the virtual network editor. When I bridge to it by specifiying VMNet0 for all three guest nics I have connectivity between host and guests and APItest run's succesfully. However, as described I lose all the lower LED's (network?).

The only thing I have noticed is that when I am using VMNet 1 for the guest networking, the vmware virtual network adapter on the host has an apipa IP address? Windows also mark's the connection as having limited connectivity. Not sure if this is a problem as we are specifying the IP address manually? Or should I start playing with Nat'ing?

I have tried every guide I can find! I can connect to my car using Inpa fine.

Any advice? Is using VMnet0 is acceptable and having the indicator bar for the network with no lights/blobs normal?

The other thing I have learnt that may help others, is that in Vista there is an registry fix that will change the default network option for the virtual adapters to default to private network instead of public.

All help will be much appreciated as this is driving me crazy!

Ian

My Cars
    BMW E60, Honda Civic
    Hi Rallyfinnen,

In my case, once the apitest works, and the Diaghead is connected (the yellow diaghead icon's 'LED's turn on at the top of the DIS screen) I am able to perform diagnostics on the car.

At this juncture, I can only give you moral support and say keep at it!

- James

Hi!

INPA has always worked (via COM1) during my trials (and errors!) with DIS.

I had the apitest working in several configurations/installations, but never any communication with the car.

I have tried a number of installations and configurations on two different laptops, of which one has a built in serial port, but no luck so far..

I think even a monkey should have been able to get it to work with so many tries!

My Cars
    x
    Quote Originally Posted by ian s View Post
    Interesting. I get the same when I connect to the diaghead but am unable to perform any diagnosis. Out of interest how long goes it take to perform a diagnosis?

When I configure the VM networking as described (using VMNet1) I have no connectivity to the host - even though it's bridged in the virtual network editor. When I bridge to it by specifiying VMNet0 for all three guest nics I have connectivity between host and guests and APItest run's succesfully. However, as described I lose all the lower LED's (network?).

The only thing I have noticed is that when I am using VMNet 1 for the guest networking, the vmware virtual network adapter on the host has an apipa IP address? Windows also mark's the connection as having limited connectivity. Not sure if this is a problem as we are specifying the IP address manually? Or should I start playing with Nat'ing?

I have tried every guide I can find! I can connect to my car using Inpa fine.

Any advice? Is using VMnet0 is acceptable and having the indicator bar for the network with no lights/blobs normal?

The other thing I have learnt that may help others, is that in Vista there is an registry fix that will change the default network option for the virtual adapters to default to private network instead of public.

All help will be much appreciated as this is driving me crazy!

Ian
    diagnosis work fast.

i get this error after i choose my car model under diagnosis:
    www.hot.ee/aise/Decision.png
    when i press cancel i get an auto id success notification:
    www.hot.ee/aise/IDENT.png

about those lower leds, when i ping 192.168.68.30 from windows side they will light up as long as i ping...

i canīt ping 192.168.68.1 from unix side, i can ping it only from win. i can ping all other IPīs from win or from unix (.30 .31 .32)
    Last edited by aise; 10-25-2009 at 12:25 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Evo
    That's very helpful, thank-you. I set up a continuous ping from the host and the LED's lit up.

Time to take a look at the host side of things...

Ian

My Cars
    x
    iīve got it. i removed network adapters .31 and .32 from unix and both leds are on before that the ifhservice took .32 but i figured it should take .30 wich is DISīs IP so i removed those 2 devices
    Last edited by aise; 10-26-2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    chevvy
    what do you mean ......i mean i am not very much clear with it.....you want a cheap one??

Susha BMW Performance Chip
    Last edited by susha1; 11-04-2009 at 03:16 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 316i E36
    Hello guys,

I'm trying to run EDIABAS / INPA on WinXP laptop, and to connect to Diagnostic Head over cross-over cable and TCP/IP.
    I'm not sure what IP to put for RemoteHost in ediabas.ini. IP of PC running INPA or Diagnostic Head IP?

I tired with both but same result, always timeout error. I also cannot start ifhserv32.exe. Double-click on it does nothing. I cannot see that process in Task Manager. So I think there lies a problem but I don't know hoe to solve it

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    So you have a real yellowhead connected via LAN, not a OBD cable?
    I think you don't need ifhserv with the yellowhead, you only need to get the virtual DIS machine to be able to connect to your network card in the host (XP?)
    Try to use vmnet0 in the virtual machine and make sure vmnet0 is connected to you LAN card. Hope that helped.

My Cars
    BMW 316i E36
    So you have a real yellowhead connected via LAN, not a OBD cable?
    I think you don't need ifhserv with the yellowhead, you only need to get the virtual DIS machine to be able to connect to your network card in the host (XP?)
    Try to use vmnet0 in the virtual machine and make sure vmnet0 is connected to you LAN card. Hope that helped.
    Yes, that is correct. I have real yellowhead . Is it possible to use it only with INPA without DIS?
    IP of EDIABAS station is 192.168.68.50 and yellowhead has IP 192.168.68.22. What IP address should I put in ediabas.ini?

Thanks!

Just one update to my previous post. I also have OPPS head. My intention is to use only INPA and heads, connecting to them remotely over TCP/IP.

In ediabas.ini under "Interface" I tried "REMOTE" and "REMOTE:Remote.ini" parmeters but it doesn't help

When using REMOTE I'm getting error:
    EDIABAS Fehler 159, NET-0009: TIMEOUT

When using REMOTE:remote.ini I'm getting error:
    Fehler 45, IFH-0035: CONFIGURATION ERROR

Durin INPA installation it is possible to install EDIC drivers for heads. Does anybody knows where can I download drivers for OPPS and yellowhead?

Also where is location of drivers files after installation?

Thanks!
    Last edited by capstorm; 10-28-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    740, 850, M3
    It should be possible, but since I have not tried it myself, maybe somebody else has some info?

My Cars
    BMW 325 Coupe
    Does anyone know how ifhserv32.exe works, what are the parameter of the program and what it does. I think I might be close but I just cant ifhserv32.exe to display an ip address on the taskbar. What can I do to get it working properly?

And secondly to any one who has DIS/GT1 V44 working, does V44 or V39 need the Diaghead program to run or does it work without it.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z Roadster
    There are a couple of things to see if IHFServ is running properly and display an IP address.

Firstly, drop down to the command line mode in GT1 and run the APITest. This should connect to the IHFServ app running under Windows and it should then show an IP address.

The second thing to try is to actually connect to the car. This should also then get the GT1 to connect to the diaghead via IHFServ and the Ip should get displayed.

As for the Diaghead emulator, you need it with both V39 and V44 in order for the GT1 to 'see' the OBD adapter running under Windows.

My Cars
    BMW 316i E36
    Regarding my issues with LAN connection between OPPS head and PC, I finally found source of problem.

ediabas.ini should contain:
    Interface = REMOTE
    RemoteHost = 192.168.68.XX
    Port = 6801

For OPPS to work wtih INPA station, OPPS head should first be unregistred form current station (you can do that through web interface connecting over LAN to head IP). After that INPA has found head and registered. Now everything works like charm now.

Thanks for help!

My Cars
    2003 M5 matte black
    Please,guys I need help!
    When I try to run the API test I only get the error message:
    "fault in execution of the function chosen.
    Fault number:-2"

Thanks!

Have the DIS reconizing the car with the INPA interface and the diaghead emulator running
    Last edited by vantaam5; 11-03-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast