Thread: ASC light comes on randomly sometimes and will not shut off

My Cars
    Cosmos E36 M3 SOLD: MKIV gti

Exclamation ASC light comes on randomly sometimes and will not shut off

So I've had this happen several times since I bought the car a few weeks ago. Seems to usually happen after a longer road trip. The asc light comes on. The light shuts off on its own after a while, sometimes a long while, but does not respond to pushing the asc button. Traction control does not seem to be functioning while the light is on. I checked to see if things were loose and everything seems to be in order. The car is a 99 m3. The rear tires are 245/35/18 and the fronts are 225/40/18. The rears are a little worn. I saw someone say that having the wrong diameter tires could do this. I was under the impression that these were cool....... Thanks.

1999 Cosmos M3
    Mods: Eibach prokit springs w/ Koni Yellows, JTD RSMs, Konig Kraftwerks 18x8.5 all around, Borla cat-back exhaust, Custom Cold Air Intake w/ K&N filter, M50 Intake manifold, UUC Tranny Mounts and enforcers, BMW OEM Clear tail lights, DJ Auto Euro Headlights w/ Umnitza thinline angel eyes, BMW OEM Clear corners, Clear sides, Max Velocity Front Splitter, ZHP Shift Knob, CD43, blacked out roundels, 5% tint

Plans: First...........more driving schools/autoX experience...............then..........X-brace, 6000k HIDs, sways, etc.

My Cars
    09 M3, 97 Viper, 92 NSX
    ASC: off = FUN: on

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    ASC: off = FUN: on
    ABS = OFF
    RAIN = ON
    SKID = ON

1997 M3 (SOLD) :o 2000 528i Sport (SOLD)

My Cars
    I know it is not necessary. But the light drives me nuts. And I just got the car so I want everything to work properly. Any ideas?

1999 Cosmos M3
    Mods: Eibach prokit springs w/ Koni Yellows, JTD RSMs, Konig Kraftwerks 18x8.5 all around, Borla cat-back exhaust, Custom Cold Air Intake w/ K&N filter, M50 Intake manifold, UUC Tranny Mounts and enforcers, BMW OEM Clear tail lights, DJ Auto Euro Headlights w/ Umnitza thinline angel eyes, BMW OEM Clear corners, Clear sides, Max Velocity Front Splitter, ZHP Shift Knob, CD43, blacked out roundels, 5% tint

Plans: First...........more driving schools/autoX experience...............then..........X-brace, 6000k HIDs, sways, etc.

My Cars
    09 M3, 97 Viper, 92 NSX
    Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    ABS = OFF
    RAIN = ON
    SKID = ON

www.skipbarber.com

Quote Originally Posted by dAPEX View Post
    I know it is not necessary. But the light drives me nuts. And I just got the car so I want everything to work properly. Any ideas?
    Is the ABS/Brake light on as well? If so, check the ABS fuse in the engine bay.

If not, check the ASC fuse/relay/orange cube of a whatever it is, unplug it and plug it back in. (worked for me).

My Cars
    96 Estoril M3 Coupe
    My asc light stays on all the time...without any other lights. It sucks in the rain.

My Cars
    N/A
    i had the same problem..i dont know what caused but i just unplugged the fuse and plugged it back it..it kinda reset itself i guess..never had a problem again

My Cars

Thumbs up

ABS light is not on. I will try to unplug it and plug it back in. Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming.

1999 Cosmos M3

My Cars
    96 Estoril M3 Coupe
    any update?

My Cars
    mid engine
    what is ASC?

24 Porsche Cayman S 6spd (Allocation recvd 11/3, Due in U.S. 5/24)
    09 GLI TSI 6spd
    95 M3 (3/94) Never forgotten
    redacted

My Cars
    '98 m3/4/5, '04 GTP, 93 nissan truck (bulletproof)
    My ASC does the exact same thing from time to time. It started right about the time I noticed my RTAB's needed to be replaced. coincidence??? I'm thinking its not too far fetched to believe that the additional play in the suspension caused by worn RTAB's (or) RSM's is enough to cause this. I however have not researched this, and this conclusion is conjecture on my part.

My Cars
    F25 X3
    This is a common problem. I have the same issue and need to get it checked out. It is likely the ABS module, wheel speed sensors, or the brake pedal sensor. Do a search and you will find many threads about this. Best advice is to get the computer checked to determine the fault code(s) and go from there. Good luck.
    2014 X3 xDrive35i