Thread: Car shakes at start up

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3

Car shakes at start up

The car shakes on cold starts every morning. and it has rough idle for like 2 seconds. But the shaking stays for about 5-6 seconds. But after that time passes everything smoothes out. Could i have a dead piston? Would it show it on the Check control if i did have a dead piston? And how can i check to make sure. Thanks.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    get new ignition coil pack boots and check the coil packs for cracks while youre in there.

My Cars
    Calypsorot 328i
    I'd rather call it a vacuum leak.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    check your tb boot too for cracks

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Idle smooths out after this few seconds of shaking or do you have to go off idle?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    no the idle smooths out in the first 2 seconds of start but shaking continues for about 5 seconds, o wow and it really could be a vacuum leak?

My Cars
    95 Supra, 09 G8 GXP
    My car does the same thing, I just let the car catch up to itself and the shake goes away. I doubt its a vacuum leak as that would not be time dependent.
    '95 Supra Turbo
    '09 G8 GXP

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Clean the ICV.
    Run some Seafoam or something to clean and see if that helps.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    well i think that cleaning the ICV would only get rid of that rough lumpy idle but im thinking that the shake might still be there, Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    Calypsorot 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by ROM3 View Post
    no the idle smooths out in the first 2 seconds of start but shaking continues for about 5 seconds, o wow and it really could be a vacuum leak?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon2222 View Post
    My car does the same thing, I just let the car catch up to itself and the shake goes away. I doubt its a vacuum leak as that would not be time dependent.
    I'm just going off my own experience here and will share. Mine started out like ROM3's where it would rumble just a bit at cold start. I didn't think much of it and just thought the car was showing some age. Fast forward 6 months and the small problem turns into a CEL and after two weeks of that my cranking the starter gets to be a problem to start the car. Vacuum leak became so large as to keep the A/F mixture messed up and in turn I deaded my starter. I take apart the intake plenum disconnect the plugs, tubes and sockets, have a new starter installed. Reinstall everything and the car starts up fine with no rough idle and my vacuum leak is gone.

I've shortened up my story considerably, but I think some of the key points are in there which make me think its a vacuum leak.

O. I also changed out my crankshaft position sensor 3 times because whenever we OBDII scanned it, it showed the sensor having been dead. That sensor was never a problem. Added this part in just in case.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    How does A/F hunting kill your starter?
    Do you mean you had to repeatedly restart each time you started cold?
    You disconnected the ICV and hoses as well as removed IAT sensor and TPS and TB?
    That is a lot of variables to say it's a vac leak and you did this all at the same time.

My Cars
    99 Estoril Blue M3, and stuff...
    Maybe the car is just nervous, 'cause it knows who is going to drive it???

jk

1999 Estoril Blue ///M3 with common mods to the car, and driver training mods to the driver. It's a safe, intelligent, and fun combination. Member of our local BMW Club Driver Training Team.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I've got the same exact problem. In fact when I start the car and try to move (fwd or reverse) the car sometimes even stalls. I have to ride the clutch just to start moving.

Once the car is warmed up it doesn't hesitate off idle but still sometimes shakes. I kept getting P0133 and P0153 for both my o2 sensors and those were changed today. The problem still exists and I'm running out of ideas
    99 Alpine/Gutted ///M3

Estoril/M-Technic cloth ///M3
    - RIP http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1191513

My Cars
    a white one
    Maybe the car is just nervous, 'cause it knows who is going to drive it???
    Lol. Way to be helpful.

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra
    i had the same crap this morning trying to get to work, started and stuttewred bad wouldnt stay on after about 6 or so trys i poped the hood and bad i could see it, the pipe thats under the Intake Mani was not in the hole. After i popped it back in, it started right up & ran like a champ.,

...When you get a blackeye from trying to change the shift knob.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DEFKON99 View Post
    i had the same crap this morning trying to get to work, started and stuttewred bad wouldnt stay on after about 6 or so trys i poped the hood and bad i could see it, the pipe thats under the Intake Mani was not in the hole. After i popped it back in, it started right up & ran like a champ.,
    The ICV hose?
    That would do it.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    OK I was cleaning out my ICV today but I noticed there was some oil in my intake manifold. Could that be caused by bad intake manifold gaskets??
    99 Alpine/Gutted ///M3

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    Pull the icv out to start with. it's not too bad to get too or actually replace it. It's common for all the years up build up to make it stickey. When you pull it off
    shake it. If it moves freely it's good, if not, it needs new.

As for the oil in the intake. It's normal vapor, don't sweat it.
    Level 1 Certified BMW Technician

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer_boyis View Post
    Pull the icv out to start with. it's not too bad to get too or actually replace it. It's common for all the years up build up to make it stickey. When you pull it off
    shake it. If it moves freely it's good, if not, it needs new.

As for the oil in the intake. It's normal vapor, don't sweat it.
    Before you toss it, take a stab at ceaning it up.
    Shake it side to side not back and forth.
    If little or no movement (it should feel a bit like gyro when it oscillates) add some Berrymans or iso alcohol and chase with WD40 when freed up before reinstallation.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Mine will shake / shudder if I've not started it for say 3 days or more....goes away real quick. But most mornings (its my DD) no problem at all.....

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Car drove like a dream after cleaning the ICV

The check engine light came back on tonight and will go to Autozone tomorrow to check it out. Hopefully its just the ECU learning that new o2 sensors were put in.
    99 Alpine/Gutted ///M3

My Cars
    99 E36 S54 M3
    Mine shakes very badly and sounds like crap everytime it is started and the engine is cold, but after 30 seconds of letting it idle, it smooths out and purrs like a kitten. I was under the impression that it is the secondary air pump causing this, and that it is normal. Keep in mind I am FI. I am also considering removing the secondary air pump all together as it seems to have no effect other than emissions improvement at startup. Is this inaccurate?
    1999 E36 M3 S54 conversion, Dinan exhaust, Zionville Comp Kit, MCS Coilovers, E46 CSL Brake conversion and ducting, UUC Swaybar, Vorschlag camber plates & rear shock mounts, X-brace, Pflex RTABs/Subframe, MSW engine mounts, Rogue diff, ZKW LEDs, Racebred splitter, 9Lives Big Wang, SPA Fire system, Cobra seats, Schroth 6 pt, Ben Sipson roll bar.

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    The ICV hose?
    That would do it.
    i thnk that is correct

...When you get a blackeye from trying to change the shift knob.