Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: AST Suspension

My Cars
    2370 lbs E36 328
    Quote Originally Posted by hancheyb View Post
    100 pound spring rate change is nothing especially on the rears.
    A 20% reduction in spring rate is a lot. It's 20% regardless of the ratio of spring rate to wheel rate. I've done it and it's very noticeable.
    FMJ Motorsports
    "not everyone is a princess like riley"
    [16:04] spg383: my vagina gets cold below 40

My Cars
    '00 323Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by txse46m3 View Post
    A 20% reduction in spring rate is a lot. It's 20% regardless of the ratio of spring rate to wheel rate. I've done it and it's very noticeable.
    True although I would certainly say the weight of the car will also greatly affect that. A 100lb change in a car that weighs 2600lbs is more significant that a 100lb change in a car that weighs 3200lbs. Not to mention it will matter if the car has a cage/rollbar.

I changed springs on a particular customer car, he had like 375/400 or similar and it was a track car. I upped him to 550/600 and it was noticeable all around but not nearly as much as I thought it would be. As it is now, he's made some other changes to the car, I'm going to recommend another slight bump.

His car weighs upwards of 3100 without driver.
    Jack $

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    First off, like Jack suggested, my example was a 3200 pound street car driving on the street only. 20% isn't a huge difference in that case. Unless you live in a town with bad concrete streets.

But, let's back up a second. Do I think that a 20% change in spring rate is noticeable? Yes, I agree. Do I think a 20% change in spring rate is as noticeable as going from twin tubes to ASTs? No, I do not.

I think that was the original argument saying that someone went from a twin tube shock to ASTs AND went down in rate, therefore his comment wasn't truly valid about the shocks feeling different? If he had stayed at the same rate, he'd still feel a big difference, bigger than 20%. The point I was trying to make was the feeling you feel from the driver's seat with a 20% change in spring rate is not equal to changing the shocks to these particular shocks or many other high end monotubes. It feels like a 50% change in rate for instance if we stick with that example. I fully admit this is a limited way to look at it, but we're just keeping it simple.

I'm biased of course, so don't take my word on this. Fair's M3 went from DA Konis to ASTs and the street ride was dramatically better as a personal example. No change in rate with that one. We have plenty of folks running around on these that went from stock suspension and say that it even feels better overall. More so on E46 M3s and a few E90s now since those cars are pretty harsh compared to an E36 M3 stock suspension.

(before there are a bunch of "not mine" replies) Will this always be the case? No, it's some perception and some of your environment. Your roads vary, your wheels and tires make a HUGE difference on feel, your tolerance to changes, etc. I can only repeat my personal experience and what our customers feedback has consistently been. The shocks make a huge difference in performance without too much sacrifice in comfort.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

For 2012, AST Suspension - USA is a proud to support the following series:

Official supplier to the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge
    Official sponsor of the Pirelli World Challenge Series
    Contingency sponsor to SCCA and NASA amateur racing

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by epj3 View Post
    As soon as I get mine, a supporting vendor over on another fairly popular forum will have the chance to drive my car and compare to some other brand coilovers with a particular twin tube shock... Anxious to see what he thinks about them.

I can't wait to get 'em though!
    I'm also looking forward to hearing his review. AST certainly sounds like the coilover to get right now.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
    I'm also looking forward to hearing his review. AST certainly sounds like the coilover to get right now.
    The only disadvantages I see right now are no lifetime warranty, not knowing how much a rebuild will cost, and the initial cost.

My Cars
    1987 325i
    The only disadvantages I see right now are no lifetime warranty, not knowing how much a rebuild will cost, and the initial cost.
    I'd like to know the same

My Cars
    '06 RX-8, '06 MX-5, '04 GTI 1.8T
    Just drove the Vorshlag STS 318is at a test and tune today and I'm thoroughly impressed. Kudos to Terry and Brian for some fantastic suspension tuning. The car was very nimble and tossable. This is coming from a former Miata autocrosser.

Seems like AST is a great choice to go with!
    Thomas / 97 M3 Sedan SOLD!

My Cars
    '95 LSx M3, '13 BRZ
    My ride in the Alpha LS1 car both on the street and auto-xing on multiple occasions is what made me sell my GCs and switch to AST. The ASTs were at full stiff and solid mounts throughout the car and it rode much better than my GTI with Koni Coilovers. From my talks with Terry, there shouldn't be too much of a worry about the lifetime warranty especially since Koni is pretty stingy on it anyways. Rebuild costs are much lower according to my memory and the initial cost is what you pay for a shock that performs better and rides better. I was hesitant at first too, but the ride answers a lot of questions.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Faerus View Post
    My ride in the Alpha LS1 car both on the street and auto-xing on multiple occasions is what made me sell my GCs and switch to AST. The ASTs were at full stiff and solid mounts throughout the car and it rode much better than my GTI with Koni Coilovers. From my talks with Terry, there shouldn't be too much of a worry about the lifetime warranty especially since Koni is pretty stingy on it anyways. Rebuild costs are much lower according to my memory and the initial cost is what you pay for a shock that performs better and rides better. I was hesitant at first too, but the ride answers a lot of questions.
    I'm not really hesitant, in fact I'll be ordering as soon as I can get hold of them on the phone

Those questions are still in the back of my mind, but won't keep me from ordering.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    In my experience, Vorshlag and AST have been very supportive and easy to work with on my shocks. I had a couple minor problems with mine (mainly due to them being the first production 4200's) and they've taken care of me.

I'd guess that I have more miles on the 4200's than anybody else with them (somewhere around 9-12k miles) and I have no complaints at all. The ride is excellent considering the springs that I'm running. Turn up the damping, and they respond immediately. Even 1 'click' on the adjuster is noticeable.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in going with the ASTs.
    Chris
    97 M3
    94 325is
    12 Jeep SRT8

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
    In my experience, Vorshlag and AST have been very supportive and easy to work with on my shocks. I had a couple minor problems with mine (mainly due to them being the first production 4200's) and they've taken care of me.

I'd guess that I have more miles on the 4200's than anybody else with them (somewhere around 9-12k miles) and I have no complaints at all. The ride is excellent considering the springs that I'm running. Turn up the damping, and they respond immediately. Even 1 'click' on the adjuster is noticeable.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in going with the ASTs.
    Honestly I could go with teins at this point and would be happy with them for a few weeks.

Fortunately I think the AST's will hold me over for much longer

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    Honestly I could go with teins at this point and would be happy with them for a few weeks.

Fortunately I think the AST's will hold me over for much longer
    Do it right the first time and get the AST's.
    Even with me being a pain in the ass....Terry and Brian provide good customer service.
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    03 X5 3.0L Titanium Silver
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...
    Excellence is a habit, not an act.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by BJO View Post
    Do it right the first time and get the AST's.
    Even with me being a pain in the ass....Terry and Brian provide good customer service.
    Oh I meant back in the day, no way I would ever consider teins now. I was younger and dumber back then

My Cars
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe
    I just returned from the Tarheel school at VIR where RRT set up two cars that had just had their AST installations - Neil Simon's supercharged M Coupe and Robin Sparrow's 335i. Both cars are being prepared for the One Lap of America, and both owners were pleased with the preliminary results. I'll let RRT chime in on the more technical matters, but they do plan some re-valving and a spring change on Neil's car. TC Kline was there too and I think he is curious about this new product.

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo

4100/4200s are lifetime warranteed against leaking, internal failures, etc. If you wreck the car, don't send us a bent shock and want a new one though. The same goes for everything else out there.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

My Cars
    745Li, GT3, GX470
    Brian, is there a write up or post that does some compare/contrast of the AST products with the Penske/Ohlins products that I missed? If not, can you provide some technical distinctions between such dampers?

Thanks,
    Mike

My Cars
    MTree
    Do I have a defective part or did I just install this incorrectly? The bushing is off center on the passenger side. Elaborate?

These are AST sportline 1s.
    Last edited by M13; 03-03-2008 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    Looks like the bushing didn't quite press-fit as tight as it should have. As far as I can see, the install looks right (but I can't see the little black inserts that the bushing is supposed to ride on, so I can't way for sure).
    Chris
    97 M3
    94 325is
    12 Jeep SRT8

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by hancheyb View Post
    4100/4200s are lifetime warranteed against leaking, internal failures, etc. If you wreck the car, don't send us a bent shock and want a new one though. The same goes for everything else out there.
    Awesome.

By the way, been trying to get in contact to order via phone!

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by M13;12301227[SIZE=3
    Do I have a defective part or did I just install this incorrectly? The bushing is off center on the passenger side. Elaborate?

These are AST sportline 1s.

I PM'd you M13. Sorry I didn't get to it till now. Slammed here. I've seen a few older SP1s do that. I can send you some bearing compound that will fill the gap and keep the bushing in place. Very easy fix.

Brian
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

My Cars
    1998 M3/4
    I'm looking forward to getting a set of AST 4100's as soon as they come in to Vorshlag.

Brian or Terry - when do you guys expect to be back in stock? Anxiously awaiting your call back as you are very hard to reach....
    Wes

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by NicolasW View Post
    I'm looking forward to getting a set of AST 4100's as soon as they come in to Vorshlag.

Brian or Terry - when do you guys expect to be back in stock? Anxiously awaiting your call back as you are very hard to reach....
    I hear ya - I feel bad for calling/emailing so much but it's their fault for making us want 'em.

Wow, if I ever get in contact with 'em - there may be TWO sets of 4100's in eastern PA. I really don't want to get TCK's simply because I can't order the AST's!

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    I feel your pain guys. Keep trying, we're barely keeping up.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

My Cars
    95 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by NicolasW View Post

wait, how do I have them and you guys cant get them? Out of stock or something?
    '95 318i - DASC Supercharged - 269° Camshafts - 30lb injectors - Ostrich 2.0 tuning - Coil On Plug conversion - 11lb flywheel 228mm clutch - AST 4100's,

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny318 View Post
    wait, how do I have them and you guys cant get them? Out of stock or something?
    I didn't hear about them being out of stock, just can't talk to anyone there It will sadden me if they are out of stock, but as long as I can call and get my order in and a set reserved... all I care!

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast