Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: AST Suspension

My Cars
    1999 COSMOS M3
    I had a GC Track Kit on my E36 M3 with 500lbs springs all around. I had that for about 6 months. I liked the kit because i have never driven on any other setup than stock. It was stiff and rough the street. I had one track day on it and it performed well. But when the deal came out on the AST Sportline 1s i sold my GC setup and went for the AST sportlines w/ Vorschlag camber plates and 400lb springs all around. Off the bat i felt the difference. On the street it was so much smoother over bumps and other imperfections and thats thanks to the "helper" spring on the setup. I took this out to the track and i felt a lot more comfortable at the limit everything was smoother and mor balanced. Hopefully thats helps but i am very happy with the change.

My Cars
    MTree
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL's M3 View Post
    I had a GC Track Kit on my E36 M3 with 500lbs springs all around. I had that for about 6 months. I liked the kit because i have never driven on any other setup than stock. It was stiff and rough the street. I had one track day on it and it performed well. But when the deal came out on the AST Sportline 1s i sold my GC setup and went for the AST sportlines w/ Vorschlag camber plates and 400lb springs all around. Off the bat i felt the difference. On the street it was so much smoother over bumps and other imperfections and thats thanks to the "helper" spring on the setup. I took this out to the track and i felt a lot more comfortable at the limit everything was smoother and mor balanced. Hopefully thats helps but i am very happy with the change.
    Thank you for that GREAT feedback. The set up I'm considering is 350/400 so I might just upgrade the front to a 400 and call it a day.

Do you still have this current setup? Does it make any weird noises like some of the TCK products?

*Edit*

Have you ever driven a car with TCK s/as or d/as equipped and how does it compare to the Sportline 1 setup?

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by M13 View Post
    I will never plan on running bigger than 245 up front. So I should be fine?
    Yep, you'll be fine. You'll probably have to run a 10mm spacer if you run 245s, but it will be wheel and tire dependent.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

For 2012, AST Suspension - USA is a proud to support the following series:

Official supplier to the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge
    Official sponsor of the Pirelli World Challenge Series
    Contingency sponsor to SCCA and NASA amateur racing

My Cars
    MTree
    After a test drive, I'm very impressed with the Sportline 1s. Great kit. Looking forward to putting it in my car.

Here's a question:

The used set up I'm buying is 350/400. My friend has some Eibach springs 600/250/450.
    6" tall 2.5: wide and spring rate of 450.

Will I be able to run these on the Sportline 1 set up? Are the rear and front springs interchangable? In a perfect world, I would put the 400 rears up front and run the Eibach 450s and have a 400/450 set up.

Feel free to flame away as this is a very noob question, I know. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    98 M3
    i think AST's are 60mm
    Sean

My Cars
    M42
    Yea they are 60mm.
    2.5 inch = 63.5 mm so they should fit the spring seat on the height adjusters.

My Cars
    MTree
    Quote Originally Posted by SG_M3 View Post
    i think AST's are 60mm
    Quote Originally Posted by szed View Post
    Yea they are 60mm.
    2.5 inch = 63.5 mm so they should fit the spring seat on the height adjusters.
    So it sounds like the Eibachs will work. Are they all interchangeable from front to back?

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    The used set up I'm buying is 350/400. My friend has some Eibach springs 600/250/450.
    6" tall 2.5: wide and spring rate of 450.

Will I be able to run these on the Sportline 1 set up?
    Yes. They are 60mm, but you can always run 2.5" springs. We have some plastic 60mm-2.5" adapters that you can run to take up the slack on the bottom perch if you end up having any noise. Probably not a big deal.

Are the rear and front springs interchangable? In a perfect world, I would put the 400 rears up front and run the Eibach 450s and have a 400/450 set up.
    For Sportline 1s, The fronts could be run on the back, but the backs don't work on the front. The fronts for SP1 are probably too long for the rear, but that might be personal preference. You might be OK with where it sits.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Any more comments from people that have changed from TCK's DA's to the AST 4200's?

I'm at the point now where I need to make the plunge and both are looking very good for some different reasons.

I'm building a car for regional and national tour level autocross as well as track days and the ever popular 'I just need to get away'.

Thanks.

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    If you are on the fence, one more thing to consider is the customer service you will recieve when dealing with Vorshlag (AST dealer). I always got a very quick answers to my questions. I needed suspension advice and they went above and beyond to help me with everything. In my book that accounts for a lot.

My Cars
    '99 M3 TiAg/black
    Can anyone speak about the springs that come with these kits?

I have done quite a bit of research and I like what I see about the shocks, I just haven't heard much about the springs they come with, other than that you can choose the rates. Does AST outsource them or do they build them? Any user and or dist. input? Is there a link I am missing?
    Thanks,
    Eric

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    They are built in Europe for AST. It is a common manufacturer for many companies out of Europe. Things I do know from testing and discussions:

1. They actually are their labeled rate with very little variance. Many springs are +/- 3-5%.

2. RRT put them on their spring rater and found them to be similar to the popular brands on the market as far as travel and holding their rate through the travel range.

Those are the key factors with a spring. Does it have the rate it says it has and does it keep that rate through the travel? Weights are similar as well.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

My Cars
    '06 STi, '08 R56
    I can concur that Vorshlag's customer service is top notch. I get emails at hours no one should be working. They are always willing to talk setup and allow you to utilize their technical knowledge. Brian and Terry are really working hard to make their customer's happy all while having kids and trying to race all year around.

Rob
    '08 MCS R56
    '06 STi #92 STU
    '99 M3 Coupe STU - Sold.
    For Sale:
    Pair 12mm Rogue Spacers 5x120

My Cars
    93 332is/00 M5
    you can use any brand 60mm spring.

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by kenster View Post
    you can use any brand 60mm spring.
    And we even have adapter rings if you want to run 2.5" springs. Also, you can flip the rear adjuster and run 2.25" rear springs.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

My Cars
    '99 M3 TiAg/black
    Quote Originally Posted by hancheyb View Post
    They are built in Europe for AST. It is a common manufacturer for many companies out of Europe. Things I do know from testing and discussions:

1. They actually are their labeled rate with very little variance. Many springs are +/- 3-5%.

2. RRT put them on their spring rater and found them to be similar to the popular brands on the market as far as travel and holding their rate through the travel range.

Those are the key factors with a spring. Does it have the rate it says it has and does it keep that rate through the travel? Weights are similar as well.
    Good to know, thank you. I hate to be needy, but is there any way to get the name of that European manufacturer?

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    And we even have adapter rings if you want to run 2.5" springs. Also, you can flip the rear adjuster and run 2.25" rear springs.
    ???? What's this flipping you speak of?

I have 2.25" rear springs and your suspension hence the question. I'm also switching out the tckline one on Sunday so...

I'm ordering new rear springs but for now if the 2.25" ones can hold up the car that would be great.

Carlos.

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by clopez95m3 View Post
    ???? What's this flipping you speak of?

I have 2.25" rear springs and your suspension hence the question. I'm also switching out the tckline one on Sunday so...

I'm ordering new rear springs but for now if the 2.25" ones can hold up the car that would be great.

Carlos.

The rear ride height adjuster for an AST kit is designed for a 60mm spring. It is about 2.36". I'd be surprised if you had 2.25" springs on our perches because they don't fit when installed as designed. However, if you unscrew the threaded piece of the perch off the platform, turn it over and reinstall, you can run a 2.25" spring.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    The rear ride height adjuster for an AST kit is designed for a 60mm spring. It is about 2.36". I'd be surprised if you had 2.25" springs on our perches because they don't fit when installed as designed. However, if you unscrew the threaded piece of the perch off the platform, turn it over and reinstall, you can run a 2.25" spring.
    Ah, I see thank you. Yeah what I meant is I have your suspension in a box awaiting a 40+ degree day. Sunday it'll go on the car and the tck one goes on the FS forum along with the GC rear adjusters.

Carlos.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    Interesting...

... I've got 2.25" springs on my rear adjusters. They slid right on.
    Chris
    97 M3
    94 325is
    12 Jeep SRT8

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by clopez95m3 View Post
    Ah, I see thank you. Yeah what I meant is I have your suspension in a box awaiting a 40+ degree day. Sunday it'll go on the car and the tck one goes on the FS forum along with the GC rear adjusters.

Carlos.
    75 degrees here today.

Each 2.25" spring is different. I took the safe answer and said they don't fit without turning them over. For instance, Swift calls their spring a 2.25" and it is exactly 60mm, pretty different. The AST adjuster is 58 mm OD so if your spring is actually larger than 57mm (2.25") then it will work. I tried our tender/main spring adapter on the 2.25" spring I have and it didn't work. Not close enough. Some springs will vary though.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    75 degrees here today.
    Don't get me started on this weather stuff, I've had it with the fluffy white stuff that keeps coming down every couple of days and makes my commute rather annoying. I'm just glad we have a 40+ degree day finally. I may break out the bbq and wear a t-shirt to celebrate.

Carlos.

My Cars
    2370 lbs E36 328
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL's M3 View Post
    I wonder what your opinion would be if you had gone from AST's on 500's to Koni's on 400's.
    FMJ Motorsports
    "not everyone is a princess like riley"
    [16:04] spg383: my vagina gets cold below 40

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by txse46m3 View Post
    I wonder what your opinion would be if you had gone from AST's on 500's to Koni's on 400's.
    100 pound spring rate change is nothing especially on the rears. Most people will feel this change going from a twin tube shock to a monotube like AST. Even with the same forces on a dyno plot, they do feel different in the real world.

Of course there are monotubes out there that have chosen high compression valving and nitrogen pressure. Those do feel harsh. You should see some independent reports possibly next week about a particular twin tube, stock spring'd car that went with ASTs and felt it rode better as well. Comfort and performance can be accomplished.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    100 pound spring rate change is nothing especially on the rears. Most people will feel this change going from a twin tube shock to a monotube like AST. Even with the same forces on a dyno plot, they do feel different in the real world.

Of course there are monotubes out there that have chosen high compression valving and nitrogen pressure. Those do feel harsh. You should see some independent reports possibly next week about a particular twin tube, stock spring'd car that went with ASTs and felt it rode better as well. Comfort and performance can be accomplished.
    As soon as I get mine, a supporting vendor over on another fairly popular forum will have the chance to drive my car and compare to some other brand coilovers with a particular twin tube shock... Anxious to see what he thinks about them.

I can't wait to get 'em though!
    Last edited by epj3; 03-01-2008 at 02:36 AM.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast