Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Dynojet Results - modded e36 M3

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    oh, and i think the S50's are known to have slightly lower torque numbers when modded than an S50, but respond better to mods sooooo

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    Quote Originally Posted by badluckM3 View Post
    I've been wanting to dyno, and there is a Dynojet facility down the street from me: enginetec.com.

Jworms setup varies slightly, but here is what I currently have (aka. Camless Cam Setup):

95 OBD1 3.0
    Cosmos 3.5" CAI
    3.5" Intake Boot
    Conforti Software
    3.5" HFM (plugged in)
    24# injectors
    ssautochrome headers
    UUC TSE Exhaust
    Custom midpipe (no cats, resonator only w/x-pipe)
    UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel w/ Stg1 Clutch
    3.38 lsd

I really want to get on the dyno and see what it can throw down. Only thing I have to do is hit up the welds on the midpipe, as there are a few pinholes.

I really want to see if I can crank out a few more the Jworms if possible. What do you think?

I think you should dyno your car
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Oh, and also if you look at my dyno graph, i'm pretty rich, going all the way down to 11.7:1

i need someone who knows how to tune to give me a more aggressive tune, i think i still have mo powa in her

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe|12 X5D|11 335D
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    which ones did you get? your thoughts? noticeable gains/sound?
    Seeing that I went from the 2 into 1 ultimate y-pipe bottleneck to true dual exhaust, I think it made a decent difference. See I wish I could have dyno'd the whole way along because this is the log of how it went down:

Day1 - car only has Cosmos 3.5" intake, UUC TSE, 3.38 LSD, UUC Clutch (should have dyno'd)
    Day2 - Install headers, custome midpipe (should have dyno'd)
    Day3 - Install 3.5" TB boot, 3.5 HFM, 24# injectors, Conforti Chip (still need to dyno)

The f*ing bottleneck that OBD1's has to hold back some power. Some cocksuckers say there's nothing wrong with that stock setup, as BMW had to have done it for some reason. If you are one please refrain from posting, as all you have to do is think about it for a second to realize a gain will be made.

But again sorry, no OFFICIAL dyno proof here. But from day1 to day3, car is a complete beast.

*the transformation didn't really happen in 3 days, more like over 2 months

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    I've been wanting to dyno, and there is a Dynojet facility down the street from me: enginetec.com.

Jworms setup varies slightly, but here is what I currently have (aka. Camless Cam Setup):

95 OBD1 3.0
    Cosmos 3.5" CAI
    3.5" Intake Boot
    Conforti Software
    3.5" HFM (plugged in)
    24# injectors
    ssautochrome headers
    UUC TSE Exhaust
    Custom midpipe (no cats, resonator only w/x-pipe)
    UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel w/ Stg1 Clutch
    3.38 lsd

I really want to get on the dyno and see what it can throw down. Only thing I have to do is hit up the welds on the midpipe, as there are a few pinholes.

I really want to see if I can crank out a few more the Jworms if possible. What do you think?
    ugh....it really isn't comparable. you might make more power than me if you ran your car on the same dyno i ran on but make less on whichever dyno you're going to run on, or vice versa. you really cannot compare dyno numbers from different dynos. running on the same dyno on different days is bad enough, but two completely different dynos will almost definitely produce different numbers. i tried to stress this in my original post, but here it is again. hopefully you have a stock base line run to go from at the dyno you're going to use...otherwise the numbers are really pointless unless you can get other comparisons like i provided. otherwise it's just a base run you can use to find changes in power from now on.

aside from that, like bennyfizzle said, i'd be shocked if you came close to the amount of torque i have with an s50. only one way to find out.
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    Dyno: 242rwhp/232rwtq
    SOLD

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe|12 X5D|11 335D
    Oh and about which ones, here's mine:

Looking at ssautochromes website, mine dont look like his. So I may have incorrect info on that. But regardless, they were under $150.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Oh and about which ones, here's mine:

Looking at ssautochromes website, mine dont look like his. So I may have incorrect info on that. But regardless, they were under $150.
    Where did you get those for 150? Or did i misunderstand.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe|12 X5D|11 335D
    The owner of the shop that I get parts from had them hanging on his wall, and I thought he mentioned ssautochrome, but I think just maybe ebay. Just pay a little extra and get the OBX ones off ebay, if you are getting headers.

My Cars
    skateboard
    The owner of the shop that I get parts from had them hanging on his wall, and I thought he mentioned ssautochrome, but I think just maybe ebay. Just pay a little extra and get the OBX ones off ebay, if you are getting headers.
    There website http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1432

Have you dyno'd your car with them on it yet?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    i was referring to these

idk though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-98...spagenameZWDVW

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    jworms the only reason i see that ur you are close to an e46 m3 is because you have your seats/spare removed, even then IMO the e46 was slightly pulling on you.

IMO short a cam kit or/and stripping an e36 it isnt going to be even with an e46.

but weve been over this before and i dont really want to get into it again.
    Last edited by Serious; 08-06-2007 at 09:08 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious View Post
    jworms the only reason i see that ur you are close to an e46 m3 is because you have your seats/spare removed, even then IMO the e46 was slightly pulling on you.

IMO short a cam kit or/and stripping an e36 it isnt going to be even with an e46.

but weve been over this before and i dont really want to get into it again.
    i can't provide any more evidence to support the fact that i can pull on e46 M3s. if you just disregard all of that then i guess you'll just have to wait until i can get you some timeslips from sacramento.
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    SOLD

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    Quote Originally Posted by jworms View Post
    i can't provide any more evidence to support the fact that i can pull on e46 M3s. if you just disregard all of that then i guess you'll just have to wait until i can get you some timeslips from sacramento.
    Better yet, from cali speedway this weekend

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    what kind of weight reduction are u going to run? pump gas?

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Matutino View Post
    Better yet, from cali speedway this weekend
    cali speedway has not impressed me in the least. every time i've been there there has been a horrible headwind and the elevation isn't helping either. sacramento is at sea level and is regarded as one of the best tracks this side of the country.

i'm only going to better my time and if some e46 M3s happen to show up then i'll just gather some more evidence for Serious to disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious View Post
    what kind of weight reduction are u going to run? pump gas?
    i'm going with my typical weight reduction (race driver seat, no passenger seat, no back seats, no spare - 2880lbs) and pump gas (91 octane - pointless to go any higher). it's not worth it for me to go with anything less than that when you have to dedicate a whole day to that track and its miserable conditions. i gotta make the best of what i've got.

of course this is all assuming they let me in with my registration situation.

SOLD

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    also remember he was still running on stock headers and no track pipe. it definitely did not have full bolt-ons and surely hasn't hit its peak potential. i expect the gap to be even greater between CMT and an e46 M3 after he has more work done to it.
    To be fair, my car also has a slightly bored S52 - it is a true 3.2L, and not the 3.15L that BMW calls a 3.2L. It's also a race engine. It was spec'd in 2003, and sourced from Turner Motorsport for a price that was greater than the value of my car before the install. Not only is the head a full Ferrea titanium valvetrain, but the pistons that were added during my install are half the stock weight, and the entire rotating assembly has been balanced and blueprinted. Among more crap that I can remember or try to list...

The RPM twists up fast, much faster than my dyno numbers would lend one to believe, and it is due to the lightweight internals and the 3.64 rear end - Once under steam the Sunbelts do a great job of pulling the car to redline, but my power curve plateaus at 6500 RPM, and starts to drop off over 7000 RPM. I no longer have any interest in headers as I enjoy the explosive response of the car, and prefer the low end to the increased power that I would most likely receive with new headers. It's a street car, and right now the power delivery is exactly how I want it.

Against an E46 M3, it is a crapshoot. The videos posted of my car against that E46 do not show him pulling on me earlier in the day, when it was 90 degrees out and it was just us alone in our cars. He yanked me by 1.5 carlengths every time we would run, and while I wasn't terribly upset with being able to keep up with the E46, I obviously hoped to fare better.

That night was completely different. I dont know if the much cooler air helped me run more optimal with my tuning, but my car was suddenly a totaly different beast and those videos show things exactly how it would happen - I would instantly snap out a few carlengths on the E46, who also now had a passenger to film the runs, and we would run it right up to my ~146 mph top speed. While I was able to stay ahead of the E46 until we shut it down, the E46 would indeed be creeping up on me towards the end of the run every time. This E46 had an upgraded exhaust, all the way up to the stock headers.

I would later run a few more E46s, and again, it was a crapshoot. I ran another E46 with similar exhaust upgrades as the one in the video, and I wouldn't pull on him at all - and I mean at all. We never ran on a 3 count, or from a stop, but every one of our impromptu highway matchups had neither pulling on the other whatsoever. Then, I got my trackpipe, which was a crucial missing piece as my off-the-shelf tuning for the Sunbelt cams was for that specific pipe, and I was running an OEM BMW catless midpipe that would ultimately prove to be MORE restrictive than had I been running the stock pipe with cats - Once I installed the track pipe, the car utterly annihilated a stock E46 M3 on 84 during a run from MA to CT, and stayed right next to a supercharged E36 M3 that had recently made 400 whp on the ICS dyno, but that was having severe issues that were crippling the car when it ran to high RPM - That was a nice ego boost, but I wasn't fooling myself that my car was ultimately anywhere near the kind of monster that the SC'd car represented.

The strength of my car is its instantaneous snap. If I cannot pop out on whatever I am driving and attempt to hold the lead throughout the length of the contest, then I have no hope against whatever I am racing. I left a C6 Corvette sitting at a light, spinning in its tractionless hell, because the driver of the Corvette was too excited to eat me alive and after all these years of ownership I know how to launch my car. He later caught up to me on the Merritt Parkway with a big smile on his face, and proceed to lay waste to me, repeatedly. He even gave me a two second head start at times, and I would stay ahead for about an extra 5 count, but then he would flash by me as if I were in reverse - We laughed about it, gave each other the thumbs-up, and I took my exit.

I know I wrote a book here, so here are the cliffs:

I have an M3 and I enjoy it. I make no boasts other than I love this car enough to upgrade it rather than sending it down the road for something faster and newer. It can do very well against E46 M3s, and it can also barely stave one off - It's a crapshoot. It still needs tuning to be optimized, but it runs strong and that is good enough for me.
    Last edited by CMT; 08-07-2007 at 03:55 PM.
    Chris

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    Quote Originally Posted by CMT View Post
    To be fair, my car also has a slightly bored S52 - it is a true 3.2L, and not the 3.15L that BMW calls a 3.2L. It's also a race engine. It was spec'd in 2003, and sourced from Turner Motorsport for a price that was greater than the value of my car before the install. Not only is the head a full Ferrea titanium valvetrain, but the pistons that were added during my install are half the stock weight, and the entire rotating assembly has been balanced and blueprinted. Among more crap that I can remember or try to list...

The RPM twists up fast, much faster than my dyno numbers would lend one to believe, and it is due to the lightweight internals and the 3.64 rear end - Once under steam the Sunbelts do a great job of pulling the car to redline, but my power curve plateaus at 6500 RPM, and starts to drop off over 7000 RPM. I no longer have any interest in headers as I enjoy the explosive response of the car, and prefer the low end to the increased power that I would most likely receive with new headers. It's a street car, and right now the power delivery is exactly how I want it.

Against an E46 M3, it is a crapshoot. The videos posted of my car against that E46 do not show him pulling on me earlier in the day, when it was 90 degrees out and it was just us alone in our cars. He yanked me by 1.5 carlengths every time we would run, and while I wasn't terribly upset with being able to keep up with the E46, I obviously hoped to fare better.

That night was completely different. I dont know if the much cooler air helped me run more optimal with my tuning, but my car was suddenly a totaly different beast and those videos show things exactly how it would happen - I would instantly snap out a few carlengths on the E46, who also now had a passenger to film the runs, and we would run it right up to my ~146 mph top speed. While I was able to stay ahead of the E46 until we shut it down, the E46 would indeed be creeping up on me towards the end of the run every time. This E46 had an upgraded exhaust, all the way up to the stock headers.

I would later run a few more E46s, and again, it was a crapshoot. I ran another E46 with similar exhaust upgrades as the one in the video, and I wouldn't pull on him at all - and I mean at all. We never ran on a 3 count, or from a stop, but every one of our impromptu highway matchups had neither pulling on the other whatsoever. Then, I got my trackpipe, which was a crucial missing piece as my off-the-shelf tuning for the Sunbelt cams was for that specific pipe, and I was running an OEM BMW catless midpipe that would ultimately prove to be MORE restrictive than had I been running the stock pipe with cats - Once I installed the track pipe, the car utterly annihilated a stock E46 M3 on 84 during a run from MA to CT, and stayed right next to a supercharged E36 M3 that had recently made 400 whp on the ICS dyno, but that was having severe issues that were crippling the car when it ran to high RPM - That was a nice ego boost, but I wasn't fooling myself that my car was ultimately anywhere near the kind of monster that the SC'd car represented.

The strength of my car is its instantaneous snap. If I cannot pop out on whatever I am driving and attempt to hold the lead throughout the length of the contest, then I have no hope against whatever I am racing. I left a C6 Corvette sitting at a light, spinning in its tractionless hell, because the driver of the Corvette was too excited to eat me alive and after all these years of ownership I know how to launch my car. He later caught up to me on the Merritt Parkway with a big smile on his face, and proceed to lay waste to me, repeatedly. He even giving me a two second head start at times, and I would stay ahead for about an extra 5 count, but then he would flash by me as if I were in reverse - We laughed about it, gave each other the thumbs-up, and I took my exit.

I know I wrote a book here, so here are the cliffs:

I have an M3 and I enjoy it. I make no boasts other than I love this car enough to upgrade it rather than sending it down the road for something faster and newer. It can do very well against E46 M3s, and it can also barely stave one off - It's a crapshoot. It still needs tuning to be optimized, but it runs strong and that is good enough for me.

Amen!
    But jworms can do match better than you b/c he has the HFM unpluged.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Amen!

there it is right from the superduper modded horse's mouth. (@ CMT)

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Amen!
    His car is very strong, and I say good for him. I'm happy that there are other strong NA runners out there. I am not a fan of FI on the car, and appreciate people who choose to optimize their acceleration using every non-FI means at their disposal, including weight reduction. I could stand to lose some myself.

As far as the HFM being unplugged, well, it's definitely not something that I would try with my car, but if it is working for Homeboy, then more power to him. I can only hope that it produces no future ill effects.
    Chris

My Cars
    IP S52 E30

there it is right from the superduper modded horse's mouth. (@ CMT)

It's all about full disclosure in the interests of science.
    Chris

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    you're on stock obdII headers right?

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    wow CMT, thanks for taking the time to make such a thorough post. for me, one of the key points you made was:
    Quote Originally Posted by CMT View Post
    Then, I got my trackpipe, which was a crucial missing piece as my off-the-shelf tuning for the Sunbelt cams was for that specific pipe, and I was running an OEM BMW catless midpipe that would ultimately prove to be MORE restrictive than had I been running the stock pipe with cats - Once I installed the track pipe, the car utterly annihilated a stock E46 M3 on 84 during a run from MA to CT
    the track pipe just enabled you to use more of that 'untapped' horsepower you had under the hood. you can have the most built up engine in the world but if you have a restrictive exhaust system behind it you won't make power. this just shows that. another good point is that you have your car setup for streetability and not necessarily peak rwhp, but it's peak rwhp that wins races as that is where the car will spend the majority of the time while racing.

have you run the 1/4 mile yet? what are you trapping?

Amen!
    hey hey, don't give him any ideas
    Last edited by jworms; 08-07-2007 at 04:02 PM.

SOLD

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    you're on stock obdII headers right?
    Yes. I have been very, very careful about my header selection because I am currently very satisfied with the way my car moves. I think that the right header choice, something I have not figured out yet, coupled with the correct tuning, might yield an amazing gain up top with little loss in the lower TQ band, but the crucial part of the equation is tuning. I missed Nick G's recent visit to ICS a month or so ago, and will wait for the next such opportunity. Until then I am more than happy with the car as is.
    Chris

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    wow CMT, thanks for taking the time to make such a thorough post. for me, one of the key points you made was:

the track pipe just enabled you to use more of that 'untapped' horsepower you had under the hood. you can have the most built up engine in the world but if you have a restrictive exhaust system behind it you won't make power. this just shows that.

have you run the 1/4 mile yet? what are you trapping?

hey hey, don't give him any ideas
    lol, gotta love this

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast