Thread: M3 vs the world?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Question M3 vs the world?

Now... this thread will more than likely get closed cause somebody will probably get outta hand, but hopefully I can get my answer before that happens.

With the introduction of the 350Z ... alot of people are comparing it to the M3. I don't know why, they just are. But... it seems that this isn't the first time this has happened, the M3 also has been compared to the Z06, 911 & C32. Not once have I ever heard somebody go hey... my 350Z can run with your 911 or my C32 and lay the small down on your Z06. Everybody seems to go after the M3.

I never understood that... especially with the 911, Z06 and 350Z comparisons... those cars are smaller, lighter cars with only room for 2 passengers compared to the C32 and M3 with room for 4 or 5 passengers with room for luggage and also saddled with a weight penalty compared to the other 3.

Is it just me or do you see every car compared to the M3? They are never compared against each other.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    imola m3 smg
    This is very simple, when someone wants to compare something they have, they will try and compare it to what is regarded as the best out there. This would be the m3. People will compare lot's of different things to the m3. Cobra, c5, evo 8, wrx sti, etc. The m3 is a popular comparison because everyone knows what it is and what it can do. BMW has built up the m3 so that everyone knows to regard it as potentially the best in it's class. It is the same way with the z06, people compare that car to anything out there. 911 turbo, mucielago, modena, 575 maranello, posrsche carrera GT, viper, even though all these cars my be relatively close in performance, a z06 is no 360 modena.

My Cars
    imola m3 smg
    I also forgot to add it makes people feel better about their purchase when they can say their car is as capable as something that is much more expensive. I can say my car is as fast as a porsche 911, which makes me feel better about my purchase. It is a way for people to psychologically push away the truth and make themselves more comfortable with what they bought, being comparable to something that is better.

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    I think it's because they see a $60K car and they take their $35K vehicle and for HALF the cost, receive similar performance. E.g., similar meaning, YES, they realize they are slower, not as great handling; but, for the price, the 350Z is a very good car.

Kind of like when e46 M3 owners compare themselves to porsche, or to higher AMG's, the ultimate argument is like, yeah, well, they paid $100K for their car, it better outperform mine; but, for half the cost, I have a pretty good car.....similar to 350Z owners. You think this is bad now? Wait until the Evo 8 starts hitting the streets, the STi, heck, wait until the market for the SRT-4 appears, not only will the E46 M3 get smoked....(no offense Kev), at least in a straightline.... but those people will be just as cocky (well, some of them).

I know when the new Gen Supra comes out (I forget the name of it, it will not be called supra anymore though)....350Z and Toyota owners will be at war with each other, since both vehicles will be n/a.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Well, I understand the comparison factor... but why the M3?

Why don't the 350Z guys compare themselves to say a 911, or a Z06 ... those cars are in the same weight category and only have seats for 2?

Or why don't the C32 guys compare their cars to the Jaguar SType R?

Why don't the STi and Evo8 guys compare their cars to the C32?

It just seems that everybody comes for the M3...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1987 Buick Rusty
    M3 is the best car listed..OVERALL value..nothin beats it

My Cars
    inbetween
    Originally posted by Sticky
    I also forgot to add it makes people feel better about their purchase when they can say their car is as capable as something that is much more expensive. I can say my car is as fast as a porsche 911, which makes me feel better about my purchase. It is a way for people to psychologically push away the truth and make themselves more comfortable with what they bought, being comparable to something that is better.
    Perfect example:

The WRX being dubbed the "Poor mans M3":eyes1

My Cars
    2006 ZHP Coupe, '00 986S
    Hey I could have bought the new 350Z and still might but I bought my Z3 because I like it. Yeah it does not stand a chance against many cars but for driving to the office and cruising around town it is great! It reminds me of the old roadsters that my grandfather owned. As for having the M3 compared to everything else, be flattered!

Originally posted by Kreit2
    Perfect example:

The WRX being dubbed the "Poor mans M3":eyes1
    More like poor mans Audi S4

Originally posted by 99DINAN3
    M3 is the best car listed..OVERALL value..nothin beats it
    Z06? STi, EVO8

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '
    I've never heard of the 350Z being compared to the E46 M3. I have heard of it being compared to the E36, but never the E46. Also, as for people comparing all these cars to the M3, maybe we just notice that since we are BMW enthusiasts. I'm pretty sure many people out there don't compare their car to the M3, and compare it with something else

BMW Cigar And Gun Club Member #7

My Cars
    '92 Honda Civic VX
    Its ridiculous to compare Evo8 and an Sti to a pathetic C32. Both of them will EAT the lowly C32 for lunch. C32 is no performance powerhouse, after all, its just a shitty Benz

My Cars
    Knight Rider
    because M3 was recognized for "the best handling car in North America" in 1997, it's perfectly ok to compare with the best to know how the new cars are standing .. am I right?

the level of enthusiasm in BMW compare to any other car is very high ... therefore, other car manufacturers are trying to win by comparing their car to M3

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '
    Originally posted by ImportPePe
    its just a shitty Benz
    Ummm, Benz is doing awesome right now, definitely kicking the shit out of BMW in terms of performance

BMW Cigar And Gun Club Member #7

My Cars
    Knight Rider
    not only performance, but also design

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3
    I personally think it really says something for great about the M3. No matter if cars are faster, cheaper or whatever the BMW just has the magic blend. Not the fastest, not the cheapest, not the most luxurious, not the sportiest, but the perfect amount of each. The M3 is the jack of all trades, and balances all those facets of its personality so well (and sets the bar quite high in all catagorys) its just the perfect benchmark.
    Also BMW is able to put in its cars what very very few car companies can, that intangabile feeling you get when driving it. Not just when you mash the accelerator or one single thing that will show up when looking at performance numbers, its just there. Heck, thats the reason I love my car so much. There may be faster, cheaper, sportier, nicer, but then theres the M3.
    http://www.dtmpower.net/ppost2/data/500/205dsc_3011_copy.jpg - this host does not allow image linking
    Pictures of my car

My Cars
    99 m3
    im pretty sure the new c32 is pretty fuckin sick
    Zubin

My Cars
    95 325is, 95 Ducati 900SS
    I have never been impressed with anything mercedes benz produces. too quiet, refined, restrained, no real manual gearboxs. they coddle you and isolate you from the road. Thats why I dont like the big Bimmer's either.

The E30 M3, E24 M6, E28 M5, and E36 M3 are about all I like from BMW.

I'd take that new Volkswagen Golf R32 over anything Mercedes puts out. Hell, I'd take an Integra Type R or a 1978-1989 911 over anything Mercedes sells.

My Cars
    '01 M Roadster
    Originally posted by Kevlar
    Well, I understand the comparison factor... but why the M3?
    Because magazines know it will sell issues.