Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Security code...

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Thumbs up Smart move 4sure...

Quote Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
    when we went on vacation for 10 days back in june

i armed the alarm in the house (monitored security system)

took the keys to all the cars with me

and set the code on the bmw...
    The real b**ch is that I thought about it as I was rolling away, thinking, "It'll be alright, she's in a locked, double walled steel door garage with a barred back door." Didn't know they'd bring Swartznegger to knock down the back door during the rainstorm!

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Quote Originally Posted by fuddyduddy121 View Post
    The remote alarm is useless if someone steals your keys. The code keeps someone from taking your car even if they have the keys.

Hmmm. now i really have to go into the car and see what you guys are talking about. Seems like a usable security feature.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    My car has High OBC and doesn't appear to have it, but please post that URL anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ishmackxx View Post
    Yea - where is this function? If I click through the OBC, should I see it there? 'Cause I don't, and this sounds like a neat function.
    As previously stated...and as outlined in your owners manual...to pull up the immobilizing CODE feature...the ignition MUST be in POSITION 1...and you must have a "high" MID (one that has a clock face & BC on the bottom right button on the MID) or the "high" cluster if you have NAV.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbi4u View Post
    ... whats the difference in setting a code or using your remote to arm the alarm? they both do the same thing no?
    When you use the OBC and initiate the CODE feature...those who have access to your keys STILL can't start your car (unless they figure out what 4 digits you entered). Works great for thieves or those juvenile delinquents that sleep down the hall from you and like getting up in the middle of the night, and taking dad's BMW for a midnight joy ride!

(BTW, before I get shot down...the text below is from my e38 manual...I already had a copy of it and didn't feel like going thru the e39 owners manual to find/select/cut/copy/paste/upload...especially since it's the same info that I already have)

If you don't have the dual function "clock face/BC" button on your MID (see the red arrow)...then you may not have the CODE feature...check your owners manual if you have the low cluster:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-31-2007 at 07:15 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Qsilver again with the assist! Nice I just used the instructions and my car DOES have the feature and it works too! THANKS!!

Another FP5241 Creation

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Thank you Q. It works like a charm. Now my wife can't take the car without asking me first!!! I wonder why they didn't include this info in my manual!?! Seems like too important a safety/security feature to be left out. I just skimmed the entire manual and found nothing about it.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Thumbs up So cool I could add a positive thread here...

Glad to see you all find my thread so interesting considering there were those of you who wanted to eject me from this forum for one small error. My bro kept insisting I join so I could add something to the quality info here and I hope it's a lesson learned for all of us. Never be too quick to judge others...

Peace...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Thumbs up Score....

Thank you Q. It works like a charm. Now my wife can't take the car without asking me first!!! I wonder why they didn't include this info in my manual!?! Seems like too important a safety/security feature to be left out. I just skimmed the entire manual and found nothing about it.
    YAHOO!!! My thread solved your problem... You now have the security feature I kept raving about...

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Hahaha...what ever you do...don't mention my name when she finds out you've locked her out of the car!

I went to the PDF e39 owners manual...and I think I know what's going on...in one of the paragraphs about the "independent ventilation" (which is part of the MID)...it says that to get more info about the MID & OnBoard CPU functions...refer to the seperate MID & OBC owners manual.

So it looks like the e39 owners should have a seperate book in your binder that explains all the functions of the MID & OBC.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Hahaha...what ever you do...don't mention my name when she finds out you've locked her out of the car!

I went to the PDF e39 owners manual...and I think I know what's going on...in one of the paragraphs about the "independent ventilation" (which is part of the MID)...it says that to get more info about the MID & OnBoard CPU functions...refer to the seperate MID & OBC owners manual.

So it looks like the e39 owners should have a seperate book in your binder that explains all the functions of the MID & OBC.

Your not kidding. this info is nowhere to be found on the manual. THANKS QSILVER!!

Another FP5241 Creation

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

I'm hanging a little sign from the radio knob ... "Wife blocking code courtesy of Qsilver7"
    My "independent ventilation" section doesn't mention anything, but when I looked up MID in the index, it says to refer to the radio manual. I recieved the car without that particular book. Bummer. Oh, well. IT WORKS!

My Cars
    1997 540i
    I feel like James Bond now..all I need is for this same security code to activate the pneumatically operated chilled glovebox, stocked with some '59 Bollinger...and a silenced pistol.

My Cars
    97 540i
    Does anyone know how to disable this code feature if it is set to ON. What if I forget the code?

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by hubey View Post
    Does anyone know how to disable this code feature if it is set to ON. What if I forget the code?
    You didn't forget the code, did you???
    Maybe disconnecting the battery, meh???
    Otherwise, it is off to the stealership with you!
    GL

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by hubey View Post
    It's always there and usable only AFTER you shut down the engine and leave the key in position "1". The trick is that you have to actively select and enter a four-digit code before turning the key to position "0". Hopefully you didn't mindlessly select four random numbers for fun 'cause if you did, you're in trouble!! Jk...I do believe there is a reset feature but I'm too lazy to look it up.

My Cars
    00' M5 | 06' 330i 6 Spd

Im going to bring this one up from the dead.
    I actually found the Nav manual that came with my car, and it talked all about this code system and the MID and OnBoard CPU functions

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    Hmmm i need to give this code thing a look. I think i have it but then the question arises, whats the difference in setting a code or using your remote to arm the alarm? they both do the same thing no? They should both cut off the starter and set the alarm right? If the car has both systems, they are probably tied together so if one is defeated so is the other. Or does the code actually lock other devices too ie stereo , cluster etc etc.

This is good stuff but from all the years I have been working on security systems, this is news to me. Anyone have an official page out of the owners manual which lays this out? Mine doesnt say shit so i'm assuming mine never came with it.
    Yes are the same, but imagine somebody steals your car key, this person can turn on you car and BYE BYE with your baby, thats because BMW put that CODE mode, I used a lot

My Cars
    '01 530i,'90 Miata
    subscribing

'01 530i Sport(RED)
    '90 Miata(work car)

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    Yes are the same, but imagine somebody steals your car key, this person can turn on you car and BYE BYE with your baby, thats because BMW put that CODE mode, I used a lot
    That is almost exactly what happened to the OP (my brother). His 89 750iL was stolen from his garage while he was off on a ski trip. He had left his key in the house and the thieves found it and stole his car. He was kicking himself for not having set the code. If he would have done it, he'd still have the seven.
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Not really but I know that if you forget to set the 4-digit code (you select) and the crooks break into your house and find your keys, you'll wish you had set the damn thing! Had I taken the 15 secs or so to set it before going on vacation, I'd still have my baby. I went to the mountains for my 2-year old son's first snow adventure and it was snowing too much so we took a 4x4 (no way I was gonna put chains on my 750). After being stuck in the mountains for TWELVE hours (should've been a 3-hour drive like Gilligan's Island) we returned home to an open garage, ransacked house and missing 750iL...!!! If you have the security feature that allows you to set a manual code disabler...USE IT would be my advice. And for gosh sake, hide your keys or take them with you if you have to leave your baby at home!
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 01-14-2009 at 02:36 PM.

My Cars
    98 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    It's always there and usable only AFTER you shut down the engine and leave the key in position "1". The trick is that you have to actively select and enter a four-digit code before turning the key to position "0". Hopefully you didn't mindlessly select four random numbers for fun 'cause if you did, you're in trouble!! Jk...I do believe there is a reset feature but I'm too lazy to look it up.
    K, just to make sure I'm not being stupid here. Does the code have to be turned on/activated each time you turn off the car? Or do you do it once and forget it? There must be some way to turn it off for dropping the car off at the shop, etc... no? I'd love to use this feature, but not if I can't turn the thing off.

Thanks.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    you set it each time you turn the engine off. It does not stay on beyond one use.

1999 540it - Schwartz II/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Conti DWS 235/45 tires, Billy HD/Sports, Stoptech S/S BL, F1 Pinacle 35% tint, Zionsville Cooling kit
    1998 318ti Cali Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 23
    1997 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 68 ,

1995 318ti Active - Alpineweib III/Schwartz, squared style 32
    1994 325i - Bostongrau/Tan, Billy Sports, H&R springs
    1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff, Bilstien HD, Z4 3.0 SS, Magnaflow, S/S Stress bar, x-brace, M20 FW, Elipsoid/HID, K&N

BMWCCA# 160411

1995 318ti Sport Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz - Sold
    1985 635CSI - Schwartz\Sand - Sold

1984 533i "Max" - Schwarz/Schwarz, - Sold
    1984 318i - Champagne/Tan, Stock - Sold

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by daneil223 View Post
    K, just to make sure I'm not being stupid here. Does the code have to be turned on/activated each time you turn off the car? Or do you do it once and forget it? There must be some way to turn it off for dropping the car off at the shop, etc... no? I'd love to use this feature, but not if I can't turn the thing off.

Thanks.
    It can only be set after you turn off the motor and leave the key in position "1"...you will notice that the grayed out word "Code" is now a selectable feature. Select it like you'd normally switch between OBC and MID, enter in your 4-digit code and turn off the key. You'll notice that if you try to turn the key to the start position, it'll prompt you for the code and will NOT start until you enter the correct code. After the code is set and you've left your vehicle "secured", you can rest a lot easier. When you return, you have to enter the 4-digit code in order to start the car normally (a prompt will appear when you turn the key). It is a feature that you must manually enable so you don't have to "turn it off" when you drop your vehicle off at the shop but you must remember to set it when you want to use it or it isn't enabled. That's how my 7 was stolen...

My Cars
    02 525i
    Done
    2 Great sons, 1 Beautiful daughter
    2002 525i
    1999 Ducati 748
    2005 Chevy Suburban Z71
    1979 Z28

09/11/01 NEVER FORGET !

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    E3902, thanks for editing your post...and Fuddy...I sent you a PM (private message)...please come back and edit your post and remove e3902's quote...until then...the info is still available for those with evil intent.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-26-2009 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    What is the point of telling everyone with bad intentions how to disable our security feature E3902 and Fuddy, why'd you quote it?!?! R u guys running a BMW theft ring?? LOL

I gotta agree with QSilver on this one, please edit your post Fuddy and E3902, pm those who want to know how to disable it...geez Louise.

My Cars
    02 525i
    If anyone w/o evil intent would like this particular info, pm me and i will be glad to help you out. My apologies to all.
    Last edited by E3902; 03-26-2009 at 04:09 PM.
    2 Great sons, 1 Beautiful daughter
    2002 525i
    1999 Ducati 748
    2005 Chevy Suburban Z71
    1979 Z28

09/11/01 NEVER FORGET !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast