Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Auto-to-Manual Transmission Swap Thread

My Cars
    95 M3 S/C
    I hav'nt seen anyone mention removing the oil cooler for the trans. Has anyone actually done this thats posting a list ?
    2011 Toyota Highlander (wife)
    2002 X5 4.6is - 225,000 (Dead)
    2001 Toyota 4runner
    1995 S/C M3 - 99,000 miles
    1995 525i - 244,000 miles (sold)
    1999 528iT Touring - 175,000 (sold)
    1992 318is - 325,000 miles (Sold)
    1986 325e - 180,000 (sold)

My Cars
    Several
    Good Q. I am about to do this swap and wouldn't mind an answer...

My Cars
    95 M3 S/C
    Spent about $1,000 on the tranny an pedals for the job picked them up at the junk yard. Got new bushings an tranny mounts from UUC. Installed race clutch an flywheel also. Labor was about 15hrs @ $80/hr.

edit: for my dads car not mine
    2011 Toyota Highlander (wife)
    2002 X5 4.6is - 225,000 (Dead)
    2001 Toyota 4runner
    1995 S/C M3 - 99,000 miles
    1995 525i - 244,000 miles (sold)
    1999 528iT Touring - 175,000 (sold)
    1992 318is - 325,000 miles (Sold)
    1986 325e - 180,000 (sold)

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    So around $1200 in labor huh? I just contacted a local shop about me doing most of the grunt work, and letting them do the finishing touches, we'll see what they quote me.

My Cars
    '98 328i/4
    So I take it that they sit underneeth the radiator itself, but in it.
    Sombody else told me this morning that they just plugged up the holes.
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green
    X-Brace, Eibach Pro Kit/Bilstein Sport, M3 Rear Sway
    BMW Traffic Pro - a/d/s P650.2 & 3.45is - JL Audio Stealthboxes[/size]

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    I too removed mine completely. Fairly straight-forward.
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    1995 Dinan supercharged M3
    I don't know about the later cars, but my lines ran under to a separate cooler attached in front of the radiator. You can leave the lines and cooler in, but it is just extra stuff you no longer need, and the mechanic I talked to who has worked on BMW's for years, said there has been issues with the cooler rubbing holes in the radiator. Also with the cooler gone that is more air flow to the radiator.
    Last edited by shogun; 01-24-2016 at 08:12 AM.
    Austin Sr
    95 Dinan M3

My Cars
    Talon Rally Car;95 E36 M3/2 Avus: Audi Coupe 10VT
    i've got a bunch of questions hopefully someone can answer in this thread. defintive answers also. please help if you can.

How do you trick the automatic shiftlock solenoid into thinking that the car is in park? do you connnect it to the parking brake?

Automatic backup light switch? how do you mod this to fit the reverse gate?

when removing the transmission Control Module, do you just tie it away?

I NEED HELP. i've been asking for days now. so many people have done it, yet there is so little info on this thread.

Please help.

coming to a dirt track near you........

My Cars
    1994 325ic 1992 a2 vr6
    Quote Originally Posted by dets

How do you trick the automatic shiftlock solenoid into thinking that the car is in park? do you connnect it to the parking brake?

Automatic backup light switch? how do you mod this to fit the reverse gate?

Please help.
    Post # 39 submitted by Croak:
    Just ground the neutral safety switch and you solve the problem of not being able to start the car. You can get fancy and install the factory clutch sensor

You'll also need to rewire the backup lights, the auto harness is different than the manual. You'll be better off doing that rewire before you put the tranny in, makes for a cleaner install since you have to run the wire through the floorboard and along the trans tunnel to the connector located on the front passenger side of the the manual transmission.

My Cars
    Estoril 1999 M3 Vert
    Does anyone know about the bolt pattern on the diff flange? i heard that a zf shaft has a 6 bolt but the getrag only has a 4 bolt. What does an antomatic have? 4 bolt or 6? I have a 325ic that i am looking at putting a zf in? Do I need to change out the flange?

Thanks!

Anyone who has more insight in this conversion please comment!!! I would be very happy to host a how to and pictures if anyone has them!!

My Cars
    98M3 4d

HELP! on test only smog check!

my smog check is due soon and i cant pass the test only smog check due to the tranny swap and i have all the errors show on the damn computer for the tranny thingy...i cant swap back the auto.. and i aint gonna buy a whole new ecu anyone of you ran into this problem yet? can someone tell me what to do for the smog test?????

thanks a lot guys

My Cars
    '98 328i/4
    You have to get the DME reset or "flashed" to clear all of the stored codes. The way it was explained to me is that the default setting on the computer is for a manual transmission, so if you have it reset that's what it looks for. But once it detects the automatic transmission computer, it expects it to be there. Call your local dealer or an independant shop and ask them how much the charge to reset it.
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green
    X-Brace, Eibach Pro Kit/Bilstein Sport, M3 Rear Sway
    BMW Traffic Pro - a/d/s P650.2 & 3.45is - JL Audio Stealthboxes[/size]

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is

diff bolt pattern and firewall q's

I had a couple of questions for those of you who have tackled this project.

First off, are most all of the differential interchangeable? Meaning, do I have to install new halfshafts and any other crap to use say a 3.23 differential? Also, someone was asking about the bold pattern. If I get a getrag w/ 4-bolts and an m3 diff w/ 6 bolts (if what was said is true), then I'd be screwed. So, the questions is, does anybody know the bolt patterns of the getrag, and the ZF tranny's?

Is there already a hole in the firewall for the clutch pedal? That would be a lot of extra work if you had to put one in yourself.

Thanks in advance!
    What's this button do?

My Cars
    Estoril 1999 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by 94is
    These cars don't sell. I'm going to keep mine until the day it bursts into flames. BTW, nobody is going to look at the vin on the tranny when buying a car unless they become suspicious. Of course on the door jam it is going to say 325isA (like mine does) so that would give some sort of hint that the car has been tampered with. So, in conclusion, if you plan on selling the car for any substantial amount of money, it is best not to swap it or heavily mod the car. You will not get anything close to what you put into it.
    Well what I have now is a 325 cabrio 91k with a slipping automatic tranny in it... it scares me to put a reman tranny in there, with very little warranty. damn thing could go out just as fast as this one. I am not doing this just out of novelty.

what do you guys think? put an auto back in it or convert it?

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbmw94
    I had a couple of questions for those of you who have tackled this project.

First off, are most all of the differential interchangeable? Meaning, do I have to install new halfshafts and any other crap to use say a 3.23 differential? Also, someone was asking about the bold pattern. If I get a getrag w/ 4-bolts and an m3 diff w/ 6 bolts (if what was said is true), then I'd be screwed. So, the questions is, does anybody know the bolt patterns of the getrag, and the ZF tranny's?

Is there already a hole in the firewall for the clutch pedal? That would be a lot of extra work if you had to put one in yourself.

Thanks in advance!
    Ok, one thing I learned is that all 325's have a 4 bolt driveshaft while m3's have a 6 bolt and I believe ltw's have an 8 bolt, although I would need to confirm the ltw part. The differentials are interchangeable if you change the output flanges ( I believe this is what they are called). I did a brake swap at the same time as my motor/tranny/steering rack so I just swapped rear ends and I found out that 325 half shafts would not mount up to a 3.15 from an m3 without changing some things.

And yes, there is already a hole for you to run hoses and master cylinder through the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe
    Well what I have now is a 325 cabrio 91k with a slipping automatic tranny in it... it scares me to put a reman tranny in there, with very little warranty. damn thing could go out just as fast as this one. I am not doing this just out of novelty.

what do you guys think? put an auto back in it or convert it?
    It depends on how much you're willing to spend. It is going to be alot more involved than just swapping in another auto tranny. I don't have a good idea as to how much all the parts would cost since I bought an entire car, but I'm guessing that it's not cheap and parts alone could cost you up to $2k. Labor is also something else that you would need to consider.

My auto tranny was slipping so bad that it was almost unbareable to drive. The opportunity arose for me to do it, and I did it. You have to weigh out how much it would be worth to you do to this to your car. If you don't really care if the car is auto or manual, then just put a rebuilt auto in there. Thats my .02
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    '00 528iA, '01 325iA

Question Cruise control wiring?

So I bought a '96 328i, not knowing it was a slush-to-stick conversion. Pretty good job to fool me.
    Anyways, everything but the cruise control works. Searching BFC didn't find anything...
    Looking at the Bentley, it looks like there are three differences btwn. the auto cruise wiring and the stick.

CCM = Cruise Control Module and EGS = Auto trans controller.

On CCM / EGS : Use : Color : Manual : Auto

Pin 2 : Clutch switch : BRN/ORG : Gnd when clutch depressed (to disengage CC) : Gnd
    Pin 5 : Auto range switch : BRN/BLK : Gnd? : hot in P or N from F28, otherwise float?
    Pin 7 / 57 : Cruise Ctrl Signal : YEL/BRN : ? ?

I could probably live without pin 2; but I don't understand the Bentley shows permamnent ground for the auto, but clutch switch normally open; ground to disengage? Unless the CCM is looking for a state change...
    I think pin 5 is OK as the car starts (used to be neutral safety switch); but pin 7 I haven't a clue.

Comments, omissions? Anyone done this and has it working?
    I don't have an auto to meter any of this (especially pin 7), but if someone would volunteer, the rest of us would
    appreciate it...
    I can send the above as a spreadsheet if it makes more sense.

Al

My Cars
    98M3 4d
    Currently, im using the drive shaft with four bolt flange which connected to the 3:38 differential with four bolt flange that came with 98auto. I am wondering if that is ok or it is better to find a driveshaft that uses 6 bolts and swap the flange on differential?? i was told by few dealer that they say all 98 M3 have 4bolt for their DS..i seriously dont know..but isnt more bolts on the flange means more robust? Anyone know where i can get some 6bolt flange swap to my 3:38 98auto differential??

thanks guys!!

My Cars
    Beefcake 94' 325iS
    This a nice long thread with alot of beefy info.

I myself am saving to buy a zionsville kit, but my question is.

How much better is the ZF kit vs the Getrag kit. Is it really worth the extra 500$... because to a student like myself thats alot of extra money. What are the differences?

Just to clarify, I can use my existing differential for the swap, right?

Does the zionsville kit come with absolutely EVERYTHING?

thx

KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!

My Cars
    96 M3, 91 318iS
    I'd also like to know more about the differences between the Getrag and the ZF boxes. The ratios are the same, correct?
    1996 Hellrot on Modena M3
    1991 Imola on black 318is

My Cars
    1995 Dinan supercharged M3
    I can tell you my 95 M3 had a 4 bolt drive shaft if that helps. I think you already know the drive shaft length is different on the auto and the manual.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by actp16
    Currently, im using the drive shaft with four bolt flange which connected to the 3:38 differential with four bolt flange that came with 98auto. I am wondering if that is ok or it is better to find a driveshaft that uses 6 bolts and swap the flange on differential?? i was told by few dealer that they say all 98 M3 have 4bolt for their DS..i seriously dont know..but isnt more bolts on the flange means more robust? Anyone know where i can get some 6bolt flange swap to my 3:38 98auto differential??

thanks guys!!
    Austin Sr
    95 Dinan M3

My Cars
    88 M3, 90 M3, 91 318is
    all 325s have a 4 bolt driveshaft and a small flex disc
    328s have a 4 bolt driveshaft and a large flex disc
    M3s have a 4 or 6 bolt driveshaft, and a large flex disc.
    ----a little speculation here: autos prob have 4 bolt, man have 6 bolt.

You can put in a 3.23 diff into a 325/328 by changing the output flanges. Changing the output flanges is soooo easy, no tools required other than a pry bar.

My Cars
    88 M3, 90 M3, 91 318is
    there is no fabrication necessary to do this swap.

My Cars
    Hellrot 328is
    has anyone looked into the Zionsville 6 speed?? that would be pretty awesome. would that yield any problems?
    "Drive fast but with care, push limits but don't dare, call names but don't swear, kick ass but be fair. Hell , just give em hell."

My Cars
    Estoril 1999 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWaznt
    has anyone looked into the Zionsville 6 speed?? that would be pretty awesome. would that yield any problems?
    The only problems I would see are finance problems!!

I talked with the guy at zionsville (sorry i forgot his name) and he said the information in thier 6-speed trany swap cdrom would be very applicable to the 5speed swap. All the interior parts and petals would all be the same.

I ordered the cdrom and should get it today. I am going to do the swap in a few weeks and I hope to take pictures and have some sort of how to for anyone else wanting to do this.

I'll keep yall posted.

My Cars
    Estoril 1999 M3 Vert
    Another quick question for anyone that knows, will a 96+ manual tranny from an m3 work with a pre-96 325? Bentley shows they are different transmissions, and i was wondering if one for a m52 would work on an m50?

Thanks!!

Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast