Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 156590105106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 2916

Thread: The Official Auto-to-Manual Transmission Swap Thread

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    The subframe reinforcement is just four plates that are welded to where the subframe mounts to the chassis, so It's not really that intensive. Just a bit of welding.

My Cars
    1998 328i Sedan
    Hi, I'm sure this has been answered before but I'm about to swap my '98 328i and was wondering if I will still have a check engine light after removing the eeprom chip from the automatic transmission computer. I know the gear symbol will still be lit up but was just wondering if the check engine light will still be on. I can pull the gear bulb but I need no check engine light to pass inspection here in NC.

-Thanks

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    When I swapped my 96 328i I got a P600 code and the blasted gear light was illuminated. The P600 was flashed out with a performance tune, but I suppose you could run a manual DME. The gear light removal procedure is much more complicated, but taking the bulb out is not ; )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Thought I'd put this out there but, just had my swap finished and the total came out to be a bit higher than expected. Labor was way more than what I had figured as well.

Total labor was $1900.
    Total parts (that they ordered) cost me around $2500.
    Total parts (that I ordered) cost me around $1500.

I got the m3 diff for free from a friend (lucky me) and the shop gave me a zf for $250. They also gave me a bimmerworld race shifter for free. They awesome guys.

Keep in mind that I had every bushing and mount replaced, and both cylinders are new. Also, the uuc ltw flywheel wasn't cheap either. The only used parts I used were the tranny, diff, and pedal assembly.

So if you're looking to do something like I had done, expect costs to be from $5000 to $6000.

So ultimately what this tells us is to just find a manual e36 and buy it. way cheaper.

I did this to mine cause there is zero rust on the body, chassis and undercarriage. I also plan on keeping this car for the long haul. I'm stupid, I know.

My Cars
    96 328i, 92 318i
    I had a quick question, I have a 96 328i and am picking up a 5 speed 95 325i that I plan on using as a donor car for my manual swap. I am guessing the 95 has a Getrag manual tranny instead of the zf but my main question even if it might sound silly is will I run into any issues using a 325i getrag manual tranny on my 328i or is it all a direct swap over. I’m planning on swapping the entire manual drivetrain from the 95 onto the 96
    Last edited by DotBeta; 01-29-2018 at 11:26 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    Should be a direct fit, with the Getrag driveline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 328i, 92 318i
    Then I should be good to go! Thanks 👍🏽

My Cars

Inquires and Suggestiins Please im a Newbie.

Plan to get a 320i coupe. It was converted to a manual short shift 5 spd gearbox. I test drived the unit but it felt heavy. Is it possible that the transmission is not compatible with the 320i engine or do i have to fiddle with gear ratios of some sort? Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Plan to get a 320i coupe. It was converted to a manual short shift 5 spd gearbox. I test drived the unit but it felt heavy. And 2nd gear was loose i think. Anyway aside from that the car is pretty solid. Its my 1st e36 so i dont know how it feels with a manual.

Is it possible that the transmission is not compatible with the 320i engine or do i have to fiddle with gear ratios of some sort? Thanks in advance.

What issues doni have to look out for or consider.

My Cars
    E36
    Few days ago I just finished my swap the only problem is that I have that the car doesn’t go more than 4.5k rpm.
    On neutral and when driving.
    Besides this the car runs well.
    The engine is m44.

My Cars
    E36
    Question for those who have done this job...

The car I'm swapping is currently at my parents (7hrs away from me).
    I have almost everything (trans, clutch, flywheel, pedals, driveshaft, trans plate, both cylinders). (already at my parents place with the car).
    I need to get the hard line from pelican and then I should be good.

My parents have a large barn with hoist. I also have a car hauler.

My plan is to bring my carhauler up there, and then swap all the parts while I'm up there and have the advantage of a hoist and tall tranny jacks to do this job.

With all parts, with having read through here multiple times, do you think this could be done in 2x 4 hr windows?

Thoughts?

I'm pretty good at shit, but haven't pulled an E36 trans yet.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Moron its possible. But expect to visit a 3rd possibly 4th time to compete it. Im about half way through my E39 5 speed swap. Basically same process as E36, as far as trans removal and swap (E-Torx pattern may be different). Not sure about flashing / coding.

Ive posted pics and steps in my swap thread:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ead-w-pictures

My Cars
    BMW e92 335i
    E92 335! No 3 cylinder misfire and sometimes only runs on 5 3 new coils fitted any ideas

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjbain View Post
    E92 335! No 3 cylinder misfire and sometimes only runs on 5 3 new coils fitted any ideas
    Do you know where you at Kjbain? Are you ok? How many fingers am I holding up? Do you know what year it is?

This is the E36 5 speed swap thread, Not Dr.E92's diagnosis thread (doesnt exist btw) ...

HOWEVER, try swapping the coil over and see if the misfire follows. if not, check the injector.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i 5MT
    Gentlemen, I need your help.

Project car: 1994 325ic (convertible) with automatic transmission.
    Donor car (all required components available): 1998 328is, manual transmission.

The plan: auto>manual and use as many parts as possible from the donor car since it's relatively newer.

Problem: I found out that flywheel from 325i = 228mm and from 328i = 240mm. This information led me to 2 points that concern me:

- since flywheel from 328i is bigger, does it mean that the ZF transmission housing is also bigger than the Getrag housing and will not mount properly to the 325i engine?
    - since flywheel from 328i is bigger, the logic tells me that I can't use it in the 325i engine because its teeth will not couple with the starter from 325i. So I assume I will need to buy a flywheel for a 325i, correct? But then, will 325i flywheel couple correctly with the rest of the setup from 328i (i.e. clutch, transmission)?

Thanks for your help!

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by make it easy View Post
    Gentlemen, I need your help.

Project car: 1994 325ic (convertible) with automatic transmission.
    Donor car (all required components available): 1998 328is, manual transmission.

The plan: auto>manual and use as many parts as possible from the donor car since it's relatively newer.

Problem: I found out that flywheel from 325i = 228mm and from 328i = 240mm. This information led me to 2 points that concern me:

- since flywheel from 328i is bigger, does it mean that the ZF transmission housing is also bigger than the Getrag housing and will not mount properly to the 325i engine?
    - since flywheel from 328i is bigger, the logic tells me that I can't use it in the 325i engine because its teeth will not couple with the starter from 325i. So I assume I will need to buy a flywheel for a 325i, correct? But then, will 325i flywheel couple correctly with the rest of the setup from 328i (i.e. clutch, transmission)?

Thanks for your help!
    You need the UUC light weight flywheel coupled with the e34 m5 clutch. I did a manual swap last winter in my 94 vert with it and I love it. Little rough if you daily it cause you need to get the rpms up to start out, but it's a good set up. It's a little pricey but worth it.

As for your actual question, I'm not 100 percent but I'm sure it'd fit just fine. The blocks are all the same in the e36 models so it'd have no problem connecting to the engine but I'm not sure when it comes to the transmission. There might be different flywheels for the Getrag and ZF transmissions. When you first think about it, you would think it should fit. But I'm sure someone on here knows for sure.

Wish you luck with you're swap.
    Last edited by WELSCH325i; 05-31-2018 at 04:20 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by WELSCH325i View Post
    You need the UUC light weight flywheel coupled with the e34 m5 clutch. I did a manual swap last winter in my 94 vert with it and I love it. Little rough if you daily it cause you need to get the rpms up to start out, but it's a good set up. It's a little pricey but worth it.

As for your actual question, I'm not 100 percent but I'm sure it'd fit just fine. The blocks are all the same in the e36 models so it'd have no problem connecting to the engine but I'm not sure when it comes to the transmission. There might be different flywheels for the Getrag and ZF transmissions. When you first think about it, you would think it should fit. But I'm sure someone on here knows for sure.

Wish you luck with you're swap.

Thanks for your reply!
    I did some extra research and you are correct, all transmission options match all e36 engines.

>>>
    HERE <<< I also found a comment from UUC rep stating the following:

There are basically three E36 clutch sizes:

318i/is 4-cylinder M44 = 215mm

325/323 6-cylinder M50/M52 = 228mm

M3/328 6-cylinder S50/S52/M52 = 240mm

What's the neat thing about all E36 manual transmissions and their clutch and flywheel parts? All completely interchangeable, every single variant will fit any car in the above list. You can put the M3 clutch/flywheel and transmission setup in the 318i, or you can put the 318i clutch/flywheel and transmission setup in the M3. You can put the 318i clutch and flywheel in the M3 with M3 transmission. Not all of these combinations serve any purpose, put it's technically possible. For a variety of reasons and custom car builds, we've mixed and matched almost everthing.

So the answer is, the M3 clutch can certainly be put into the 325... but you must use the M3-spec flywheel, either OE or aftermarket.
    Based on this comment it seems that the whole combo starting with the flywheel from one end and ending with the differential on another, all from a 328i will just work in my 325i.

However, I just can't grasp this flywheel diameter thing. Length wise it all makes sense - different parts from different e36 may be all different but as long as the overall combo consists from parts from one specific e36 then it's all good.

But what about the difference in flywheel diameter? I have no idea how a flywheel from 328i (240mm) will fit on the crankshaft and align with the starter. Because the diameter of the 325i flywheel is 228mm. This is 12mm smaller diameter or 6mm smaller radius (on each side), meaning that the starter should be 6mm closer to the center of the crankshaft. Installing a 240mm flywheel should be impossible because it will not mate with the starter!

Unless.... the diameter of the flywheel is not the distance between the opposite teeth but it is something else...? Hopefully someone can shed more light on it...

I wish I had funds for a UUC light weight flywheel + e34 m5 clutch... =(

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    The measurement is not the ring gear. They all have the same size ring gear. The diameters that you see are the clutch disc itself. Some just have more space around the outside of the clutch disc. You just have to use all matching parts like the UUC quote, don't mix stuff up and you will be fine. The dual mass flywheel is likely worn out in the donor car.

I have the UUC setup as well, bought it almost 10 years ago, it is fantastic. I have just the stock Sachs e34 m5 clutch, perfect for daily driving. One of the best upgrades in my opinion. It might not be too much more expensive if you price out a dual mass flywheel and then the Sachs clutch kit.

FCP Euro pricing
    325i Luk (OEM) flywheel 361$

325i Sachs (OEM) clutch kit 204$

Total 565$

I just looked and the UUC kit has gone up since when I got one, it's 1024$ now with the Sachs clutch kit. So 459$ more.

Another option is a kit from Valeo (high quality) that has a stock weight but solid flywheel with a sprung hub clutch for 429$ https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-525i-52281208

This Fidanza aluminum flywheel fits an M3 clutch kit 560$ https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...fidanza-195321
    The M3 clutch kit is 313$ so that puts you at 873$ https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...3-e36-kf778-02

If the flywheel is ok on the donor and the clutch isn't shot you could just use them and hope for the best.
    Last edited by jc43089; 06-01-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jc43089 View Post
    The measurement is not the ring gear. They all have the same size ring gear. The diameters that you see are the clutch disc itself. Some just have more space around the outside of the clutch disc. You just have to use all matching parts like the UUC quote, don't mix stuff up and you will be fine. The dual mass flywheel is likely worn out in the donor car.
    AHA!! Thank you sir for clarifying this! Makes sense!

Yesterday I noticed that the line between the master and slave cylinders on the donor car is not reusable. I heard about a steel braided line as a custom option. I wanted to ask if this custom option is a direct replacement for both, hard line and rubber line, or just one of them?

Thanks!

My Cars
    95 BMW M Techniq SCCA Ep
    NOTE: I have a complete clutch kit for an e36. Includes flywheel (M20) disk pressure plate and correct throwout bearing. Will sell for $250 plus shipping.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by make it easy View Post
    AHA!! Thank you sir for clarifying this! Makes sense!

Yesterday I noticed that the line between the master and slave cylinders on the donor car is not reusable. I heard about a steel braided line as a custom option. I wanted to ask if this custom option is a direct replacement for both, hard line and rubber line, or just one of them?

Thanks!
    The braided lines replace the rubber section not the hard line.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    ^^^^ What he said. I replaced the OEM setup on my E39 Swap with a braided line i got from an Aviation Shop. Took about 5 Minutes for them to make and was like 29$. I even got to choose the Color of the Wrap over the Braiding. I opted for "Smoke"

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Did my e36 auto to manual swap last winter and have a small question.

Does this render the cruise control useless? I know, a stupid question that I should know, but I never used it before and wanted to maybe delete it if it's just sitting there useless.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 323ci E46
    I have almost completed the manual swap on my 2000 323ci E46. I am using parts from my wrecked 2000 323i parts car. My question is can i replace my EWS and DME from my parts car to skip having to code my car when its complete. I know i will also have to replace the key if i do this which is fine. Any help would be appreciated

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by WELSCH325i View Post
    Did my e36 auto to manual swap last winter and have a small question.

Does this render the cruise control useless? I know, a stupid question that I should know, but I never used it before and wanted to maybe delete it if it's just sitting there useless.
    You need to wire the clutch pedal switch into the auto shifter plug, into pin 2&3 (or 5 &7, one is for clutch switch, one is for reverse light) so that you get signal when the clutch pedal is depressed. Otherwise yeah you will not have CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1327 View Post
    I have almost completed the manual swap on my 2000 323ci E46. I am using parts from my wrecked 2000 323i parts car. My question is can i replace my EWS and DME from my parts car to skip having to code my car when its complete. I know i will also have to replace the key if i do this which is fine. Any help would be appreciated
    This should work but check that the donor car had all the same features your current car has. You may need to do some coding in order to gain package-specific functions back? The coding is not hard, hit up Kassel performance, its 80$ for the session. Essentially just a reflash with a manual tune.
    Last edited by Thrifty S50; 08-19-2019 at 05:20 PM.

My Cars
    1995 325IS Convertible
    I am trying to convert my 1995 325i with an automatic to manual due to the automatic failing. I found a 2000 528i with front end damage for sale. Is there anything else I would need to due this? Thanks for any help guys!

Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 156590105106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast