Page 11 of 117 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Auto-to-Manual Transmission Swap Thread

My Cars
    1994 325ic 1992 a2 vr6
    Hey guys....my swap is now done,although I haven't really driven it yet so I don't have any first impressions yet. I DO however have a transmission warning light illuminated,( ! inside the gear looking light). My car is a 94 325 and I am wondering if there is a way to cure this light problem without removing the bulb?
    Thanks to everyone for all the great info in this thread

My Cars
    RIP 325i
    I'm starting the swap in a month and a half.
    So far ive spent a little under 1g and have everything I need to do this swap!(w/o a lower geared diff)
    I might get a ltw flywheel and clutch depending on how the flywheel and clutch that is comming looks...

I'm also going to try to do a write up for this..
    Well have to see though!
    1994 325i Uber Sedan 5-spd swap'ed
    E36 Automatic to 5-Speed DIY Write Up
    3 Pedal Club Member!
    RE DMS, RE Weighted Selector Rod, ACS SSK, ZKW w/ Catz 5100 HID's & DDE Chromums, AT Italia Type 5 Sport wheels.
    Custom 2 tone suede interior comming early 2006.

My Cars
    1995 Supercharged 318is, 2001 5-Series
    Quote Originally Posted by str8 gone
    Hey guys....my swap is now done,although I haven't really driven it yet so I don't have any first impressions yet. I DO however have a transmission warning light illuminated,( ! inside the gear looking light). My car is a 94 325 and I am wondering if there is a way to cure this light problem without removing the bulb?

We all just remove the bulb as you will no longer need any warning from your auto tranny computer

A manual has no bulb in that location anyway.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Can you also remove your computer as well, or will the car explode?

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    RIP 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstah
    I belive people dont do that is becusae its intertwined with the wiring harness
    1994 325i Uber Sedan 5-spd swap'ed
    E36 Automatic to 5-Speed DIY Write Up
    3 Pedal Club Member!
    RE DMS, RE Weighted Selector Rod, ACS SSK, ZKW w/ Catz 5100 HID's & DDE Chromums, AT Italia Type 5 Sport wheels.
    Custom 2 tone suede interior comming early 2006.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstah

I left the tranny computer in place to avoid possible engine faults due to harness disconnects...???

My Cars
    Beefcake 94' 325iS

swap in a 94 325 Manual DME?

My Cars
    Beefcake 94' 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by TopSpeed328i
    sweet! So about what rpm are you running at at about 80mph? I have heard something like 4k - 4.5k. Diffsonline claims 4250rpm, this about right? I am slightly concerned with unneccessary ware on the motor. But hey, if its fast off the line what the hell.

Ya, I dont do much freeway driving, so its not bad. It revs high going 80 (not sure the exact amount)

I raced a buddy with a heavily modded b18c civic and beat him (with only chip and exhaust).

It's sooooo much quicker... trust me

My Cars
    '96 328i, '00 740i, '00 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazedBMW
    Ya, I dont do much freeway driving, so its not bad. It revs high going 80 (not sure the exact amount)

I raced a buddy with a heavily modded b18c civic and beat him (with only chip and exhaust).

It's sooooo much quicker... trust me
    This is my problem though, my daily driving consistes of highway speeds . If only the evo 6 speeds were less expensive!

Hellrot 1996 328i w/sport pkg, assembled in Deutschland, all Kenwood Stereo, Black Leather Interior, On Board Computer, Traction Control, MANARAYS, M3 Spoiler, clear corners, Auto to Manual Swap, 3.23 diff and more DAS IST SCHNELL

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazedBMW
    swap in a 94 325 Manual DME?
    The DME is the same for a manual or auto. The only difference is that for the auto the dme is fed with inputs to vary the timing at idle to compensate for the weight of the torque converter.

When I had my car as an auto, I actually swapped in a DME from a manual and used my original E-prom. It wirked perfect.

My Cars
    1994 325ic 1992 a2 vr6
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted318is
    We all just remove the bulb as you will no longer need any warning from your auto tranny computer

A manual has no bulb in that location anyway.
    Thanks Boosted...that's what I was afraid of. How difficult is it to remove the inst cluster to access the light or the wire that goes to it?
    BTW I am turning about 3500 rpm in 5th at 65 mph with my 3.91,(for anyone wondering)
    Thanks again

My Cars
    Thanks Boosted...that's what I was afraid of. How difficult is it to remove the inst cluster to access the light or the wire that goes to it?
    BTW I am turning about 3500 rpm in 5th at 65 mph with my 3.91,(for anyone wondering)
    Thanks again
    The instrument cluster is prett easy to take out - it is held in place with 2 torx screws on the top. Undo the screws and tilt the panel forward and slide it out. I was able to remove the bulb with pliars ( turn and remove bulb) without diconnecting the gauge panel or removing the steering wheel. It took me about 30 minutes.

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted318is
    The instrument cluster is prett easy to take out - it is held in place with 2 torx screws on the top. Undo the screws and tilt the panel forward and slide it out. I was able to remove the bulb with pliars ( turn and remove bulb) without diconnecting the gauge panel or removing the steering wheel. It took me about 30 minutes.
    hah! i got you beat! did mine in 5. BTW to be on the safe side. unplug your battery before pulling the cluster. saves you a 75 dollar reset fee.

My Cars
    1994 325ic 1992 a2 vr6
    Thanks Boosted and Secret

My Cars
    1994 325ic 1992 a2 vr6
    sweet! So about what rpm are you running at at about 80mph? I have heard something like 4k - 4.5k. Diffsonline claims 4250rpm, this about right? I am slightly concerned with unneccessary ware on the motor. But hey, if its fast off the line what the hell.
    After a highway drive today, I can say that 80 mph = approx. 4,000 rpms +/- a few rpm's so that diffsonline claim is accurate

My Cars
    Hmm, still a bit concerning for me...I suppose I could run on the 3.91 for a while and see how I like it, but I am still looking for a smaller ratio LSD for a replacement. BTW, anyone have extra parts that they could sell? Also, I just got my Bentley...well worth the money I must say. I noticed that they suggested using an engine brace durring the swap...is this necessary, or will the engine mounts suffice for that?

Hellrot 1996 328i w/sport pkg, assembled in Deutschland, all Kenwood Stereo, Black Leather Interior, On Board Computer, Traction Control, MANARAYS, M3 Spoiler, clear corners, Auto to Manual Swap, 3.23 diff and more DAS IST SCHNELL

My Cars
    1994 325ic 1992 a2 vr6
    I suppose I could run on the 3.91 for a while and see how I like it, but I am still looking for a smaller ratio LSD for a replacement.
    That's what I am doing too....just tryin it out. Actually, I already decided that I will eventually swap it out w/ smaller gearset
    I noticed that they suggested using an engine brace durring the swap...is this necessary, or will the engine mounts suffice for that?
    you don't need it, a small block of wood placed on a jack,under the oilpan will do to support the engine once the trans is out.You will need the motor to tilt backwards a little bit to access the bellhousing bolts that are on the top of the trans anyways.But by all means, I wouldn't suggest allowing the engine mounts to support the weight by themselves.It's just undue stress on them that can be avoided w/ the jack under the rear of the oilpan

My Cars
    1994 325ic 1992 a2 vr6
    BTW, the sockets needed for the bellhousing bolts are:
    E10, E12 and E14 TORX sockets

My Cars
    BTW, the sockets needed for the bellhousing bolts are:
    E10, E12 and E14 TORX sockets
    Thanks!

Anyone here think that a 2.93 ratio would be too low? I am trying to determine on diffsonline.com which one would be good for aggressive yet fuel efficient...and probably more on fuel efficient side; but is that too low?

My Cars
    1995 cosmos m3
    yes its too low, its also not common (expensive)

get a used 3.15 from a member, they're always for sale, and fuel efficient

My Cars
    Focus 1.0 liter & 318ti
    Anyone know if an E46 Getgrag 5-Speed will work in an E36?

I assume they would because the front and rear housings are all the same part number, as well as the gear shift rod joint.

The output flange in NOT the same part number. This I guess can be swapped.

Also, the First and Second gears are different part numbers, but 3, 4 and 5 are the same part numbers.

EDIT: Searched and I guess they have the same gear ratios

What do you think?
    Last edited by CirrusSR22; 04-25-2005 at 03:00 PM.

My Cars
    I have the 328i with the spork pkg...so I should be getting an lsd diff right?

Hey Cirrus, nice name, the SR22 is MY DREAM PLANE, do you fly one? Anyway, to answer your question, yes the getrag tranny will bolt up, but depending on your car you might want the ZF tranny, they put these in the 328's and M series cars, also be aware that the driveshafts are different between these two. According to my Bentley, the gear ratios ARE different...but slightly. If you are running the m52 or s52 motor getrag might not be an option due to the torque specs of these motors...might over stress them, then again that would only be my own speculation.

My Cars
    potato
    I noticed that they suggested using an engine brace durring the swap...is this necessary, or will the engine mounts suffice for that?
    An engine brace is a nice luxury - but it's not a necessity. A buddy of mine that was doing a clutch job on his E36 just used his jack (because of course you have the car on lifts and jack stands - not the jack right?).

If you must - you can buy an engine boom for $65 off of harborfreight.com. I happen to have one from doing a clutch job on my old Saab 900 - easiest clutch job ever: remove subframe and left front axle, lower engine, and remove tranny - took about 3 hours to do removal and installation...

My Cars
    Focus 1.0 liter & 318ti
    Hey Cirrus, nice name, the SR22 is MY DREAM PLANE, do you fly one? Anyway, to answer your question, yes the getrag tranny will bolt up, but depending on your car you might want the ZF tranny, they put these in the 328's and M series cars, also be aware that the driveshafts are different between these two. According to my Bentley, the gear ratios ARE different...but slightly. If you are running the m52 or s52 motor getrag might not be an option due to the torque specs of these motors...might over stress them, then again that would only be my own speculation.
    Flown them, YES, own one, no It's probably the second best plane I've flown.

I'd like to put in a ZF, but that would require a custom drive shaft which sounds like a pain, and I don't even know if it's really worth the extra hassle.

A very late model getrag 5 sounds like the way to go for me.

Thanks much!

My Cars
    potato
    Quote Originally Posted by CirrusSR22
    Flown them, YES, own one, no It's probably the second best plane I've flown.

I'd like to put in a ZF, but that would require a custom drive shaft which sounds like a pain, and I don't even know if it's really worth the extra hassle.

A very late model getrag 5 sounds like the way to go for me.

Thanks much!
    I was talking to Funkmasta (as I'm getting a getrag tranny from his business partner DeanB) and he said that the getrag tranny is by no means a bad tranny - from what I've heard they're actually pretty dependable - the ZF tranny is just better.

Page 11 of 117 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661111 ... LastLast