Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 166691106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 2916

Thread: The Official Auto-to-Manual Transmission Swap Thread

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    [QUOTE=You may need to do some coding in order to gain package-specific functions back? The coding is not hard, hit up Kassel performance, its 80$ for the session. Essentially just a reflash with a manual tune.[/QUOTE]

I ended up with a P0600 code from the DME looking for the auto trans. Kassel flashed it out and also gave me a performance tune, think it was $230? There’s a way to do it using DIS as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay95 View Post
    I am trying to convert my 1995 325i with an automatic to manual due to the automatic failing. I found a 2000 528i with front end damage for sale. Is there anything else I would need to due this? Thanks for any help guys!
    Clutch/flywheel, shifter and linkage, slave/master cylinder and piping, clutch pedal. Most of that should come from the wrecked 528. Also, make sure the driveshaft is the right length and has the correct bolt pattern at the diff.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Does anyone have a parts list for what comes in the Zionsville 5 speed ZF conversion kit? Looking for a definitive parts list...

Thank you!

My Cars
    435i
    Really sorry to be posting 2014 435iX auto to manual/RWD conversion question on the wrong thread but I cannot find anybody who has done one before and we have reached the complicated part......

Very happy to pay somebody to code this thing right. I removed 2BT from VO (not 205 as it came with sport auto 2BT) and changed type from 3R53 to 3R13 to go RWD but DME still searching for auto trans. We are stuck big time. Did I mention that this is for a presidential race team and the president of a small country is supposed to be driving it in a few days?

My Cars
    N/A
    Hi All,

I'm purchasing a '97 M3 Sedan with an automatic and am contemplating swapping it to an OEM 5-speed manual. Can anyone recommend a good independent shop on the east coast that has done this swap before and is trustworthy? I really want it done right (no check engine lights, etc.) and unfortunately I live in a location where I can't wrench on my car so will have to outsource the conversion if I choose to do it.
    Last edited by nate10184; 06-10-2019 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    1995 325i

Can't clear error 217 - Timeout CAN-message of EGS

Quote Originally Posted by vmbray View Post
    One more bit of info I remembered later. I had to also change the VN number as mentioned here: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...1#post26701041
    because I was getting the error that the coding data wasn't valid in dis, or in ncs it was the coapi-1000 error. I read a couple comments that people had issues like this with m3 that maybe don't happen with other cars? I need to drive the car but waiting on tag since it is a salvage title due to hydrolocked engine (not smashed up

I called Technica in Atlanta and they say they can tune this out but it's expensive. If someone can help I will gladly make it worth your while. I would like the light out and to be able to pass inspection if we move to a state where they have them. I have extensively tried and pretty much running out of ideas here. Checked last night that the other modules like EWS had gotten the coding and it had.

This is the VN issue I was talking about (where the digits are highlighted red), I had to change the same digit by the same value to get it to work. Interestingly the coupe manual/auto does not have this difference so I don't understand the deal (my car is a sedan).

CD03 16F30000 00004000040084C0 0000022116 1 LIM S50B32 AUT LL US //Limousine M3 A US S50 Tš
    CD93 16E30000 00004000040084C0 0000026116 1 LIM S50B32 MAN LL US //Limousine M3 US S50 Tš A

Replyiing to a 3 year old post, but I am stuck in the same place vmbray was, except I still get the 217 code. I have a 97 US M3 that I purchased with the tranny already swapped to manual. Car does not have the auto tranny computer.

I used NCSexpert and the info from the daten files to generate the new GM code wiith checksum. Coded the Kombi, EWS and all the others I could see in DIS and still getting a CEL with the 217 code "217 Timeout CAN-message of EGS" I was able to clear the gear icon lamp, so the only remaining hurdle is the CEL light.

I have tried clearing adaptations, no change. I also tried changing the VN as noted above, as the sedans seem to have different values. Discussed here http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...1#post26701041. But my new VN does not work when trying to code KOMBI. I get "No coding data available for this coding code. Wrong coding code? Current date medium?"

My values that worked to get the gear light off are (only GM changed)
    GM 16E30000J
    SA 00004A20050084C0R
    VN 000DBFE936M

Values caclulated for new VN are:
    GM 16E30000J
    SA 00004A20050084C0R
    VN 000DC02936A

this is the VN value that does not work and generates the no coding error

based on this info from Daten file (3rd column is 4000 hex higher for manual.
    16F30000 00004000040084C0 0000022116 1 LIM S50B32 AUT LL US
    16E30000 00004000040084C0 0000026116 1 LIM S50B32 MAN LL US

Stuck here.. and not sure where to go next. car runs well, no issues other than the 217 code and resulting CEL. Is there a list of all the modules I need to code? Perhaps I am missing one? Using ADS cable and can see KOMBI, EWS, ABS, ZKE,IHK etc
    Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrivers View Post
    Replyiing to a 3 year old post, but I am stuck in the same place vmbray was, except I still get the 217 code. I have a 97 US M3 that I purchased with the tranny already swapped to manual. Car does not have the auto tranny computer.

I used NCSexpert and the info from the daten files to generate the new GM code wiith checksum. Coded the Kombi, EWS and all the others I could see in DIS and still getting a CEL with the 217 code "217 Timeout CAN-message of EGS" I was able to clear the gear icon lamp, so the only remaining hurdle is the CEL light.

I have tried clearing adaptations, no change. I also tried changing the VN as noted above, as the sedans seem to have different values. Discussed here http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...1#post26701041. But my new VN does not work when trying to code KOMBI. I get "No coding data available for this coding code. Wrong coding code? Current date medium?"

My values that worked to get the gear light off are (only GM changed)
    GM 16E30000J
    SA 00004A20050084C0R
    VN 000DBFE936M

Values caclulated for new VN are:
    GM 16E30000J
    SA 00004A20050084C0R
    VN 000DC02936A

this is the VN value that does not work and generates the no coding error

based on this info from Daten file (3rd column is 4000 hex higher for manual.
    16F30000 00004000040084C0 0000022116 1 LIM S50B32 AUT LL US
    16E30000 00004000040084C0 0000026116 1 LIM S50B32 MAN LL US

Stuck here.. and not sure where to go next. car runs well, no issues other than the 217 code and resulting CEL. Is there a list of all the modules I need to code? Perhaps I am missing one? Using ADS cable and can see KOMBI, EWS, ABS, ZKE,IHK etc
    Thanks!

How did you get DIS to work? I still can't seem to find a download.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Hello all. So I'm about to pull the trigger on a 98 E36 325i converted to a M3 with turbo 5speed M3 transmission all stage 2. I'm curious to know about swapping the 5 speed out for a 6 speed. Is it worth it? If so what are the benefits of the extra gear? Looking foward to hearing some positive feed back. Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 BMW e36 conv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick91303 View Post
    Hello all. So I'm about to pull the trigger on a 98 E36 325i converted to a M3 with turbo 5speed M3 transmission all stage 2. I'm curious to know about swapping the 5 speed out for a 6 speed. Is it worth it? If so what are the benefits of the extra gear? Looking foward to hearing some positive feed back. Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I’d look into 22RPD’s 6-speed kit if you’re interested. Here’s the link, which also provides additional info regarding the benefits etc:

http://www.22rpd.com/item.php?item=30

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i coupe 6mt
    Hello All,

I purchased an e36 (94) 325is Auto about 6 weeks ago. I have since been collecting all the parts needed for a ZF 5 spd manual swap and have an exhaustive list of everything needed down to new bolts, washers, bushings, gaskets, everything along with prices and where the parts were sourced. I’m doing it the right way as I am doing a HPDE/TT build and want it to be solid. If anyone is interested I’d be glad to share on this thread. If there’s enough interest, I’ll post the complete parts list, diy instructions and any/all issues I run into and how to avoid them. Just want to see if there’s enough interest because it will be a lot of extra work but am glad to do it for the e36 community.

My Cars
    1998 m3 sedan
    Ever figure this out? I can’t code Egs out either. I purchased a tune from Kassel and they send me boxes that successfully take care of the 217 eggs error but now other errors show up like camshaft error P0340. I changed the camshaft sensor and it’s still there. I’m just trying to get rid of this cell. I was able to install inpa/Eidabas and dis. Changed the codes on ews and dme to a manual ecu part number but it still searching for the egs signal. My system does NOT see kombi or dsc modules which is strange. Anyone?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i coupe 6mt
    Help! Just finished my swap and car wont start after first test drive! When I finished the swap I just used a small section of wire to jump the 5 & 7 pins on the auto trans wiring harness to bypass the clutch switch and the car started and drove fine. When I got back, I snipped the 5 & 7 wires and connected them together, and now the car will not start? I checked the connections and the wires several times to make sure I did everything right. Any ideas of what could be happening here?

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallm08 View Post
    Hello All,

I purchased an e36 (94) 325is Auto about 6 weeks ago. I have since been collecting all the parts needed for a ZF 5 spd manual swap and have an exhaustive list of everything needed down to new bolts, washers, bushings, gaskets, everything along with prices and where the parts were sourced. I’m doing it the right way as I am doing a HPDE/TT build and want it to be solid. If anyone is interested I’d be glad to share on this thread. If there’s enough interest, I’ll post the complete parts list, diy instructions and any/all issues I run into and how to avoid them. Just want to see if there’s enough interest because it will be a lot of extra work but am glad to do it for the e36 community.
    While we would definitely enjoy watching you swap / build progress in a thread of your own, you are in fact already posting in the "official 5 speed swap thread", of which most of the information is already present.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron5oh View Post
    Ever figure this out? I can’t code Egs out either. I purchased a tune from Kassel and they send me boxes that successfully take care of the 217 eggs error but now other errors show up like camshaft error P0340. I changed the camshaft sensor and it’s still there. I’m just trying to get rid of this cell. I was able to install inpa/Eidabas and dis. Changed the codes on ews and dme to a manual ecu part number but it still searching for the egs signal. My system does NOT see kombi or dsc modules which is strange. Anyone?
    Camshaft sensor codes shouldnt appear from swaps or coding, the car has a separate issue. I believe P0340 can also arise from a failing Vanos. trying clearing the adaptations in INPA and going from there. Or read the INPA specific code, not the "P" code.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallm08 View Post
    Help! Just finished my swap and car wont start after first test drive! When I finished the swap I just used a small section of wire to jump the 5 & 7 pins on the auto trans wiring harness to bypass the clutch switch and the car started and drove fine. When I got back, I snipped the 5 & 7 wires and connected them together, and now the car will not start? I checked the connections and the wires several times to make sure I did everything right. Any ideas of what could be happening here?
    Need to be more specific, are you getting cranking? sounds like you blew a fuse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay95 View Post
    I am trying to convert my 1995 325i with an automatic to manual due to the automatic failing. I found a 2000 528i with front end damage for sale. Is there anything else I would need to due this? Thanks for any help guys!
    You can use the transmission and Manual Shifter assembly, but I believe that the pedal assembly and Drive shaft is specific to the E39 donor, so that will still need to be found.

My Cars
    BMW
    Anybody know if I could install a e90 325i manual gearbox on a e36 318! ?

My Cars
    '01 330ci, '98 318ti
    Hello, just finished an auto to manual swap. I have some issues.
    I swapped a ZF320 onto an M44. Odd I know.
    When I fully depress the clutch pedal there is a slight click as if there's a lockdown switch. If I hit this point while the engine is running I get some nasty grinding.

While driving around, the trans sounds like it has some scraping sounds under certain decel conditions. Similar sound, much quieter.
    Please let me know if you have any ideas.
    Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems that the "click" is the pedal floating over onto the carpet off the clutch pedal stop. I installed new pedal bushings. It flops over a lot. The clutch weight is quite a bit more than on my E46 330, and I think that's contributing to too much pedal flex. The clutch is crazy heavy in comparison. It's the same trans and clutch kit, but I think the master/slave cylinder are different, maybe I need to change these out? Or do I need to bleed better?

As for the fainter trans noise, is this normal with the boots removed? I don't have the insulation in the shifter hole.
    Last edited by weste46; 05-30-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 e36 m3
    hey I know this might be sort of off topic but I'm highly considering doing an auto to manual swap in my 98 m3 since my automatic trans died. only thing is I'm interested in a zf320 trans but not sure if it's worth buying one from ebay. do you guys have any opinions that could help me decide ?

My Cars
    1996 328ic
    Found a Getrag 250 along with all the parts needed for a swap, how will this fit into a 96 328ic? Will I need to modify anything or is it good to go?

My Cars
    2006 530i 1994 325ic
    [QUOTE=Seeker;11833491]you have a getrag? donor car getrag also?

there might be a difference between getrag and ZF driveshafts

Getrag 325i DS's are 1512mm's
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=26&fg=05

ZF 328i DS's are shorter at 1492MM
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=26&fg=05

hmm.. 20mm difference. only about an inch.

auto driveshafts are shorter.. 1275MM for 325i auto.. that's 237mm diff. or about 10"?

coupe/sedan are the same.. when matched accordingly by trans. type[/ere might be a difference between getrag and ZF driveshafts
    Where do you take the measurement from and is the added length 20 mm absolutely necessary to use the ZF Drive shaft with a Getrag transmission? Last piece of the puzzle before me and my 18 year old do the swap.
    Thanks all. G

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318is
    Please help! I'm in Australia. I have finished the swap on my 10/96 E36 318is. It's OBD2/EWS2. I have NO SPARK/ NO FUEL. My OBD scanner has ony one fault code - EC - 'Canbus Timeout AGS/EGS. I think the DME is looking for the auto tranny ( which is on the foor now). I have cranking, so the EWS looks ok. I have bypassed the neutral safety switch and removed the EEprom from the TCM. I have just started to get an ABS fault light on the dash. Now I'm stumped.

By the way I followed a fantastic 30-part video series I found onine.( I'm not sre if I can mention the name of the guy) Anyway, I followed it to the letter except for one thing. I cut the auto 9-pin loom, instead of leaving it dangling in the engine bay. Could that have done anything? All work was done with the battery disconnected.

I,ve been trying to start my car for over a month now. I hAVE THE WIRING TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL, BUT NOTHING ELSE SEEMS TO BE WRONG. nO OTHER WIRING WAS TOUCHED. iT JUST SEEMS THE dme IS LOOING FOR THE aUTO, WHICH iSN'T THERE ANY MORE.

tHANKS, sIMON

My Cars
    '01 530i 5spd, '96 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by sdiddy68 View Post
    Please help! I'm in Australia. I have finished the swap on my 10/96 E36 318is. It's OBD2/EWS2. I have NO SPARK/ NO FUEL. My OBD scanner has ony one fault code - EC - 'Canbus Timeout AGS/EGS. I think the DME is looking for the auto tranny ( which is on the foor now). I have cranking, so the EWS looks ok. I have bypassed the neutral safety switch and removed the EEprom from the TCM. I have just started to get an ABS fault light on the dash. Now I'm stumped.

By the way I followed a fantastic 30-part video series I found onine.( I'm not sre if I can mention the name of the guy) Anyway, I followed it to the letter except for one thing. I cut the auto 9-pin loom, instead of leaving it dangling in the engine bay. Could that have done anything? All work was done with the battery disconnected.

I,ve been trying to start my car for over a month now. I hAVE THE WIRING TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL, BUT NOTHING ELSE SEEMS TO BE WRONG. nO OTHER WIRING WAS TOUCHED. iT JUST SEEMS THE dme IS LOOING FOR THE aUTO, WHICH iSN'T THERE ANY MORE.

tHANKS, sIMON
    I'll be starting this swap on my '96 328i soon, would you mind posting the link to that video series you mentioned?
    Instagram: @boston.media

My Cars
    1999 bmw m3 convertible/
    I need some help buy parts for swapping.
    I have 1999 bmw m3 convertible e36 m3 so I just got whole engine rebuilt and now I am doing automatic to manual transmission swap. I just got the bmw zf 5 speed manual transmissions from a 1998 bmw m3 with 72k miles working conditions. Now I want to buy crossmember for it but am i going to buy crossmember for 1999 bmw m3 manual transmission or 1998 bmw m3?

My Cars
    1999 bmw m3 convertible/
    Hi
    I am new to the thread. so I have 1999 bmw m3 convertible aka E36 m3 just rebuilt the whole engine which getting bolt on back. I decided to do automatic to zf 5 speed manual transmission swap and went bought it for 700$ from a 1998 bmw m3 it has 72k. now the help i need is do I have buy the crossmember for a manul transmission from 1998 bmw m3 or 1999 bmw m3 convertible ?
    all the other part i need for swap does need to be from 1999 bmw m3 convertible?
    I am also thinking to put stage 1 or maybe 2 clutch kit zf speed manual transmission from 1998 bmw m3 not which the right part to buy please help.

My Cars
    1999 bmw m3 convertible/
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBestCow View Post
    You read it correctly! This is going to be the "official" thread with any and all information needed for this swap.

So if you've done it or know about it, please chime in. I'll update this first post with all the new and relevant information. If any of this info is wrong, please let me know what I need to change.

Also, how long should it take in labor hours? I've been quoted a max of four, another 10-12, and then 20 hours! At $65/hr that's getting up there...

Parts List (So far...with cheapest prices I've found)
    Key: BZ-Bimmerzone Z-Zionsville
    manual transmission (used prices vary)
    driveshaft (manual tranny specific) (Z- $195 used)
    master/slave cylinders (BZ-$96.71; $48.63)
    lines needed between manual and slave cylinders
    linkage parts (specifics anyone?)
    clutch pedal/new pedal cluster
    shift knob/shifter
    clutch kit (includes what? there are two different types, one w/ A/C and one w/o A/C?)
    flywheel
    drive shaft bearing ? (mentioned in another thread)
    --- BZ has a Driveshaft Bushing for $8.46 --- same thing?
    rear main seal? (mentioned in another thread)
    differential? (if so, what differential do I need?)

Thanks!

Hi,

how do you know which parts to buy can you please help me out also email me saadsultan1985@gmail.com

I have 1999 BMW m3 convertible and I just rebuilt the whole engine. I have purchase a ZF 5 speed manual transmission from a 1998 BMW m3 72k miles.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is
    Hello all,
    Sorry if my question is redundant but I could not find the info reading all 100+ posts here. I know this thread is designated for auto to manual swap. My question is: I have 92 325is and currently on oem getrag 250g manual 5 speed. I would like to swap 2003-2006 e46 330i/330ci rwd s6s 37bz 6 speed. Any one here that used that transmission and perhaps could identify if what’s needed in parts to make it happen? I know the initial time frame of this thread was early 2000’s and 6 speeds were not around but today there are plenty of retired 330i/330ci 6 speeds to source from.
    My current getrag 250 leaks everywhere, grinds 1st and 2nd gear and needs new clutch so this would be a perfect time to address it as it needs to come out anyway. I’m planning to do it diy and sourcing used parts except for flywheel and clutch components, seals etc.
    Any help in pointing me in right direction would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    e36 vert
    Hi all. I just finished my e36 m50B32TU stroker convertible build with manual swap. What is the correct way to get rid of Check Engine and Trasmissions warning lights on the cluster? (Also have ABS light, not sure if it is related to swap). The auto ECU is disconnected and it is OBD1. Thanks in advance!

Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 166691106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast