Thread: I believe an "other cars" forum is needed

My Cars
    imola m3 smg

I believe an "other cars" forum is needed

There are lots of threads all over the place about cars that are not bmw's. Why not just make a forum where people can discuss cars other then bmw's? If someone has pics of their s2k for example, they could just post it in that forum. If someone wants to discuss how mercedes is doing, just go to that forum. Instead of just grouping everything in off topic this would be a simple way to see other cars bimmerforums members have.

My Cars
    just an old 328
    kinda kills the Bimmerforums thing wouldnt it. Just report the thread and we will move it to OT.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    imola m3 smg
    Originally posted by Stylin
    kinda kills the Bimmerforums thing wouldnt it. Just report the thread and we will move it to OT.
    Well it depends how you look at it. If bimmerforums welcomes members who do not own bmw's and own other cars, then why not have a place to discuss other cars, or even competitors to bmw? There would a place to discuss what audi and mercedes are doing. A few other car forums do this and it works out well, supraforums for instance, and bmwm5.com . It would not take the focus off bimmerforums by a long shot, just group threads about other cars together. Just an idea thats all.

My Cars
    95 318is, 78 320
    Not having an official forum for it limits the number of posts that are made about them... the ones that are made go to Off Topic and usually die pretty fast (due to the pace of OT). Giving a forum specifically for it would encourage non-BMW owners to join the board, no problem right? Well then they get into Kill Stories and General BMW Discussions with the possibility of more "flaming" arguments. I'd agree it's a bad idea, but I'm just a regular member
    Kevin
    2000 Toyota Land Cruiser [2020-Present]
    2013 Honda Pilot EX [2018-2020]
    2003 Audi A4 Avant [2012-2018]
    2004 Accord: [2006-2012]
    1978 Black 320i [2007-2017]
    1995 Boston Green 318is: [2001-2006]
    Knoxville, TN

My Cars
    imola m3 smg
    Originally posted by TheBestCow
    Not having an official forum for it limits the number of posts that are made about them... the ones that are made go to Off Topic and usually die pretty fast (due to the pace of OT). Giving a forum specifically for it would encourage non-BMW owners to join the board, no problem right? Well then they get into Kill Stories and General BMW Discussions with the possibility of more "flaming" arguments. I'd agree it's a bad idea, but I'm just a regular member
    If you look in the kill stories forum, a large percentage are already of people who do not own bmw's. This argument could have also been used for why regional forums would not have been needed, because all those posts could just have gone in off topic. I think it would benefit the community by clearing posts out of off topic and allowing members who have bmw's to post about other cars they may own.

Retired Original
    BIMMERFORUMS
    Administrator
    My Cars
    BMW & Lexus
    Our message board is dedicated to BMWs for owners and enthusiasts. When other cars are discussed they should be discussed in our Off-Topic forum. To have a dedicated forum where non-BMW cars are discussed would promote non-BMW owners and/or enthusiasts to register as Bimmerforums.com members. And we prefer that not to happen....

Further, when owners of "other" cars hear that something derogatory has been said about their cars members from the other message boards come here and often cause trouble. It's just not worth the hassle...and doesn't do anything positive for Bimmerforums.com.

Read the very first sentence in our welcome message.

Bob ///M3

My Cars
    imola m3 smg
    Originally posted by Bob ///M3
    Our message board is dedicated to BMWs for owners and enthusiasts. When other cars are discussed they should be discussed in our Off-Topic forum. To have a dedicated forum where non-BMW cars are discussed would promote non-BMW owners and/or enthusiasts to register as Bimmerforums.com members. And we prefer that not to happen....

Further, when owners of "other" cars hear that something derogatory has been said about their cars members from the other message boards come here and often cause trouble. It's just not worth the hassle...and doesn't do anything positive for Bimmerforums.com.

Read the very first sentence in our welcome message.

Bob ///M3
    You made a lot of assumptions. It works well on other messageboards. BMWM5.com would be the easiest example, with their 911 turbo forum.

It was just an idea, admin's don't like change, and they only seem to like ideas they come up with.

Retired Original
    BIMMERFORUMS
    Administrator
    My Cars
    BMW & Lexus
    What you inaccurately call "assumptions" happen to be well thought out opinions based on what the Bimmerforums.com staff wants this web site and message board to be...a web site and message board dedicated to BMW automobiles for BMW owners and BMW enthusiasts. Not a site for non-BMW car owners/enthusiasts. You seem to not want to accept that fact!

I believe you have been proven wrong that our Admins don't like change! Bimmerforums.com has had many changes and we are always open to ideas and suggestions that will be an improvement to our community.

I can tell from your posts that you have some maturing ahead of you. You seem to want to challenge almost everything that comes your way. Hopefully you'll learn to handle yourself better as you get older... You'll then get a lot more out of your life when you do. Good luck!

Best reagrds,
    Bob ///M3

Originally posted by Sticky
    You made a lot of assumptions. It works well on other messageboards. BMWM5.com would be the easiest example, with their 911 turbo forum.

It was just an idea, admin's don't like change, and they only seem to like ideas they come up with.

My Cars
    95 318is, 78 320
    Not to bag on you, Sticky, but I think it's wrong to say the admins/board owners haven't accepted change. The Regional Forums, OT posts not counting toward post count, and Buy/Sell/Trade forum being split into 3 sections per member request, are all instances where change has been welcomed by our staff.

Just my 2 cents, I'll stay out of this from here on out.
    Kevin
    2000 Toyota Land Cruiser [2020-Present]
    2013 Honda Pilot EX [2018-2020]
    2003 Audi A4 Avant [2012-2018]
    2004 Accord: [2006-2012]
    1978 Black 320i [2007-2017]
    1995 Boston Green 318is: [2001-2006]
    Knoxville, TN

My Cars
    imola m3 smg
    Originally posted by TheBestCow
    Not to bag on you, Sticky, but I think it's wrong to say the admins/board owners haven't accepted change. The Regional Forums, OT posts not counting toward post count, and Buy/Sell/Trade forum being split into 3 sections per member request, are all instances where change has been welcomed by our staff.

Just my 2 cents, I'll stay out of this from here on out.
    I thought everyone would gather from the smiley sticking it's tongue out that my comment was made as a joke and to be taken lightly.

My Cars
    imola m3 smg
    This is not about taking away from the bmw's at all. This is not to get people without bmw's to register. This would simply be a place to discuss other makes. Other cars come up all the time, when we compare a bmw to another make, or if someone is looking at moving on from a bmw m3 to a porsche for example. It was simply a suggestion, if you guys like the way things are, by all means leave it alone. Just pointing out alternatives...

My Cars
    E46
    Originally posted by Sticky
    If you guys like the way things are, by all means leave it alone.
    Yup...

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    Sorry Sticky, I have to agree that this site is dedicated to BMW's so it would be best to leave it. I see what you are getting at just think that it would be best left alone Good idea tho