Thread: Brake weirdness in cold, wet weather

My Cars
    '97 E36 M3 2-door, '02 YZF-R1

Question Brake weirdness in cold, wet weather

Ok, I'm thinking that my brakes are icing up or something, but just in case something else is wrong, I thought I'd ask here...

If it's warm or dry out, I don't see this any part of this problem at all. The car brakes normally and straight.

When it's cold (near freezing or below) out and either raining or snowing, my brakes have absolutely no bite when I first start driving. I step on the pedal normally, and I feel no friction (pedal resistance is normal) for a bit (a second or two? Feels like forever as I come up on the brakelights ahead of me), and then they bite in and I stop. If I step on the brakes somewhat harder than normal, the car pulls to the right. This also happens out on the highway when I don't use my brakes very much.

As one can well imagine, it's rather disconcerting to be out on the highway in cold, wet weather, see traffic slowing, and step on the brakes to (momentarily) nothing.

I have Brembo front and Zimmerman rear OEM-replacement rotors (not cross drilled or anything fancy) and PBR deluxe pads.

Is there anything I can do, or do I just continue to use greatly increased following distances in these conditions?

Thanks!
    -c///m
    1997 Estorilblau M3 2-door
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Lighting: ZKW w/ HID, Euro clears, Lamin-X foglight film
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    95 M3
    With any type of pads other than OEM, you'll def. need some extra time to heat up the pads. The better the quality on the pads, the higher the optimum temperature. The easiest thing to do would be squeeze on the brakes when for a bit when you're first driving and let it warm up.
    Sardil

'95 M3

My Cars
    '97 E36 M3 2-door, '02 YZF-R1
    That's the funny thing, though. Back in those days when it was 5F out, but dry, the brakes worked fine. It's a combination of wet and cold, which is why I think I'm getting some ice or something, that is scraped or melted off when I use the brakes a bit.

Thanks for the input, though
    -c///m
    1997 Estorilblau M3 2-door
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Lighting: ZKW w/ HID, Euro clears, Lamin-X foglight film
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp