Thread: Help!! Locking Steering Wheel!!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318i

Help!! Locking Steering Wheel!!

the past few days when ive been starting my car the steering wheel keeps locking on me.......... idk why but it does and even after i start it and i start rolling back i try to turn it and its still locked lol!! thank god my driveways straight... ne ways ne1 got ideas why this is so yall can help me out!? TIA~
    AJ Auto Detail, LLC

My Cars
    06 Speed 6 // 93 330is
    thats impossible really... if the key is turned the steering wheel cannot lock. If it is then your ignition is FUBAR!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318i
    so heres what happened the ignition in the steering column went out... not gonna have my car till next mon or tues and its gonna cost $300 >:O
    AJ Auto Detail, LLC

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Did you replace the ignition tumbler? Was that the fix? My key turns and the car starts but I can't turn the wheel as it's locked.

Thoughts anyone else? Thanks.

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    I used to have that problem. There's a spring in the steering column that over time will instead of springing straight up and down will somehow twist itself sideways allowing the steering column lock pin to fall and lock the column randomly. You can free it with a tough jiggle as I'm sure you've already figured out. I had to drill out my steering column and use a pick to fish out the old spring.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...eel-lock/page3

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thanks! I jiggled the wheel harder and it became unstuck. When I remove the key it is stuck again. While I'm driving the car might it get stuck again? In which case I will drill the housing and remove the spring. Thanks again!

This tells me the spring is jammed somehow. .

Update: I drilled in the center portion of the rectangular area and while using a 21/64" bit, the spring popped out a bit. So I was able to grab it with my fingers. I used successively larger bits and cutting oil. Made drilling easy and accurate. Thanks to all who posted on this site. @218k miles
    Last edited by scooper; 09-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    Thanks! I jiggled the wheel harder and it became unstuck. When I remove the key it is stuck again. While I'm driving the car might it get stuck again? In which case I will drill the housing and remove the spring. Thanks again!

This tells me the spring is jammed somehow. .

Update: I drilled in the center portion of the rectangular area and while using a 21/64" bit, the spring popped out a bit. So I was able to grab it with my fingers. I used successively larger bits and cutting oil. Made drilling easy and accurate. Thanks to all who posted on this site. @218k miles
    Glad I could help bro

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    You can drill it out if you want. Few vids on youtube if you choose to go that route
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"