Thread: Z3 M Coupe vs. E46 M3 SUSPENSION ??'s

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe

Z3 M Coupe vs. E46 M3 SUSPENSION ??'s

What's the difference between stock suspension set-up's from an 02 Z3M Coupe and the E46 M3? What are the differences in the rear ends? I know the M coupe is some-what of a parts car (E30-E36). Thanks for the input.

My Cars
    2015 435i ZHP

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    E36 M3 front suspension, E30 M3 rear suspension (Semi-trailing arm) for the Coupe.

The E46 has a multi link rear suspension, the front's are different but simmilar the rears are night and day.

Which is not to say that an '02 M Coupe is out handled by an E46 M3 all day and all night. In proper hands, with proper modifications the coupe may hand a simmilarly modded E46 it's ass depending on the track/course.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    '14 X3
    Cool S54 M Coupe vs. E46 M3 comparison, write-up, side-by-side video at Watkins Glen right here

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...i-revenge.html

Quote Originally Posted by clintjg View Post
    E36 M3 front suspension, E30 M3 rear suspension (Semi-trailing arm) for the Coupe.

The E46 has a multi link rear suspension, the front's are different but simmilar the rears are night and day.

Which is not to say that an '02 M Coupe is out handled by an E46 M3 all day and all night. In proper hands, with proper modifications the coupe may hand a simmilarly modded E46 it's ass depending on the track/course.

My Cars
    2017 M2, Blown MCoupe,
    Quote Originally Posted by stician View Post
    Cool S54 M Coupe vs. E46 M3 comparison, write-up, side-by-side video at Watkins Glen right here

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...i-revenge.html

You beat me to it!!

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
    just about everything if not everything is different
    Thanks...that was really insiteful.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by clintjg View Post

Thanks for the info....So then is there an upgrade to the M Coupe's rear-end that would significantly enhance the handling characteristics?

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    [quote=stician;10119223]Cool S54 M Coupe vs. E46 M3 comparison, write-up, side-by-side video at Watkins Glen right here

Great blog...those guys put a lot of work in to that. thanks for the tip.

My Cars
    M Coupe, M3/4/5, E30
    That was awesome!!
    Cloudbase aka Alex
    Life on the Lee-Side BLOG, Hang Gliding YouTube Channel

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by s4u2nv View Post
    Thanks for the info....So then is there an upgrade to the M Coupe's rear-end that would significantly enhance the handling characteristics?
    IE bushings, good shocks and springs. If you want to take it a step farther, some will say a butt strutt helps. Some like the IE trailing arm bushings too, but they are very noisy. If you do all of those things, you will not have much more room for improvement.

My Cars
    2003.5 M3 Coupe,99M Coupe,99 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    IE bushings, good shocks and springs. If you want to take it a step farther, some will say a butt strutt helps. Some like the IE trailing arm bushings too, but they are very noisy. If you do all of those things, you will not have much more room for improvement.
    Nor will you need much improvement!

My Cars
    z3 02' 3.0i coupe, 99M3
    If you really want to see what your coupe can do let an instrutor at a DE that you trust show you. It's quite capable stock. In most of my run groups the E46M guy's pull away on the straights not the corners. It's the almost +100hp they have on me over my 3.0@225.
    That said I did do the IE bushing last year cause a guy in CT had the tool and another guy had a lift to make it easier. It's a bit noisier, firmer yes...
    After that if you have bank call TCK and finish it off proper. done.
    I personally do not think the butt strut matters as the coupe has a roof which stiffens the body unlike a roadster. Other then that there are a couple guy's which seriously race their coupes on here