Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: electrochromatic (auto dim) rearview mirror upgrade

My Cars
    1996 e39 523i
    Qsilver7 first I would like to say thanks for the great wealth of information you share on the forums.

I am installing an electrochromatic mirror Into my 96 e39 523 and it would be nice to get it mostly functioning:

My car had the connector and only two pins are populated (pin 8,9 for the led alarm)
    I searched further up the harness to see if I could find more, but no such luck.

I would like to be able to power up the auto dim function, but don't need the reverse un-dim ability.
    All I need to do is populate
    pin #03 - positive wire (green/red)
    pin #10 - ground (brown)
    to power the auto dim function, but I wanted to get your guys opinion on where I should pull these from?
    Obviously I could pull the power from the map lights but not sure what kind of safe load the mirror needs.

any pointers would be appreciated
    kind regards
    lumin
    Last edited by luminmiller; 01-20-2014 at 07:39 AM.

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Does anyone know what the part number is for just the car side mirror connector is? I see there is a wiring kit for retro install of this mirror but its unnecessary for me and all I need is the car side connector into the mirror arm to rewire the connector to fit the mirror i have.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    You mean the rear view mirrors on the doors? They are different, depending on if you have seat and mirror memory or only electric mirrors. SMM has more wires and different plugs. Maybe you check www.realoem.com
    Here a copy of the training reference book SMM http://www.e38.org/e32/BMW_pdfs/smm.pdf

Retrofit instructions for auto dip mirror are here under EBA http://www.ow.no/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=34
    Last edited by shogun; 01-25-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Here's more info about the eclectrochromatic rear view mirror:

1. Click here for more info (wired colors) for the early 3 wire EC mirrors for the e31/e32/e34

Does anyone have this PDF??

Thank you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234