Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: electrochromatic (auto dim) rearview mirror upgrade

My Cars
    e34 525, b5.5 passat
    Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    test with a DMM first. you still may have the wrong connector.
    whats a DMM ?

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    digital multimeter

My Cars
    Early E34: white sheathed connector is for IR alarm transponder, usually mounted in the sunroof switch insert on cars so equipped; 3 pin connector is for auto dipping mirrors. Wires are ground, constant B+, light switched B+. Splice the mirror to the light switched B+ and ground, there's no reverse interrupt in this particular harness.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    thanks lowell!

My Cars
    e34 525, b5.5 passat
    Gracias

My Cars
    92 e34 525tds touring
    Hi guys, im about to do this upgrade on my touring now but i`ve run into some problems.
    My mirror have a white plug with three wires, black, grey and white.

I was digging up in the headliner and found a loose wire, it has a black plug with three wires, brown, red/green and black/white.

The plug on the mirror doesn`t fit in the other plug so i guess i have the wrong one? or can i cut and splice the wires? any ideas? maybe i should digg more and see if i find more wires.

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Mirror needs only power, - and reverse gear signal. Its not really important where you take power for it

Hella Smoked / 4300k HID /M-Tech bodykit / M-Tech mirrors / M5 filler panel
    Z3 M shortshifter / M-Tech sways / M5 brakes / Powerflex bushings / H&R, Eibach springs / Strutbar /
    17" M-Syst. II

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    And eu cars are different than na spec cars. y'all had the ir system far longer than we did.

My Cars
    Probably a nooby question, but do I need to unplug the car battery before doing this? When I unplug the mirror cable, the car alarm starts up.

My Cars
    Girl car
    Bumping this up. I went ahead and removed pin #6 and nothing happened. The mirror still didn't work, and the locks didn't work. Leaving pins 1,3, and 10 only...then everything works. so after I put shrink wrap on the remaining pins, I went to remove the mirror. That didn't work out well at all. The mount for the mirror started to come off with the mirror. I thought it was the windshield cracking, but this actually was just the blue plastic film on the windshield.
    Vehicles:
    (Sold) 95' 525 - ZF320 5-speed swap, 3.46LSD rear, Raceland headers + straight pipe
    (Current) 2012 Scion tC 6-spd M/T - slow

My Cars
    '01 540i; '91 325iC
    Hi all,

a new problem has arisen here for me. So I went through this whole guide, still having problems after just pulling pin #6, and then #8 and 9, and then finally just leaving pins 1, 3, and 10. Now the mirror works fine at night, and clears when I put the car in reverse, but there is still a problem with the locking/alarm. When locking with the remote, it will lock the doors sometimes, sometimes it just beeps, and the double lock button unlocks all doors! As for when using the key, it locks, but when unlocking it unlocks, then locks, then unlocks again (this also happens sometimes with the remote lock function). And sometimes I lock it (with key) and it just unlocks itself again. Any ideas anyone? I had the 10 pin connector (95 530, built march 95) and am using a e38 mirror (same as in OP's pics). I was screwing around with the connector while the battery was hooked up, could I have blown a fuse? Do I need the alarm reset? Can I do that, or do I need to go to the dealer?

Any help here appreciated! Thanks.

My Cars
    92BMW 525i/5,67 Dart GT
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHokie View Post
    I put a flash light up there and could see pretty far in, didn't see anything. tried poking around with my huge paws but maybe its hiding.

trying to see if any other similar members with cars of my year/type have had success finding it.
    I have a 1992 525i Prod. date 07/91 no connector for auto dimming mirror. So just ran a wire from an ign.#2 source to it and a ground.

My Cars
    Infiniti Fx-45,
    i have a 1990 525i , what do i have to do to install the auto dim mirror? and how much do they cost anyways?

My Cars
    92BMW 525i/5,67 Dart GT
    Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    i have a 1990 525i , what do i have to do to install the auto dim mirror? and how much do they cost anyways?

I went to pick n pull found a 92 E32 735i with the auto dim mirror and wiring and connector. Got it for $5.49 (guy did not know it was electronic)
    Remove the panel that your sunroof switch is at and see if there is a connector there. If not you will have to run a ign sourced 12v + to it and ground.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    I don't think you have the connector, so you can't install it. But I can :P

My Cars
    92BMW 525i/5,67 Dart GT
    I did not have the connector also...... so I just ran a wire from a ign #2 12v + source and got a ground from one of the mounting screws on the sunroof motor

My Cars
    Infiniti Fx-45,
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykick5 View Post
    I don't think you have the connector, so you can't install it. But I can :P

lol how do i check if i do?
    under the switch for the sunroof control

Quote Originally Posted by dragracer440wed View Post
    I did not have the connector also...... so I just ran a wire from a ign #2 12v + source and got a ground from one of the mounting screws on the sunroof motor
    how you do that, you should make a DIY, cause i have spare money for thiss!

My Cars
    99shu,77 911, 85 e24
    I have a e39 clown nose in my touring and have no issues with it, I kinda feel the clown nose gets darker then the e38 one for some reason

at first I made a custom wiring harness just tapping power to it from the sunroof since it doesn't get constant power but then when i had my headliner out found the oem plug behind the drivers side sun shade. I don't have the factory alarm so I don't have any problems with a remote

My Cars
    1995 bmw 540i
    I have a 95 540 with a non auto dimming rearview mirror and bought a mirror just like the one that you installed.
    My old mirror
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL222.../401089834.jpg
    I have the three button fob for my alram system aswell and when I removed the old system the alram went off and I remvoed pin 6 and reinstalled the new mirror and the key fob would not lock or unlock the doors. Any thoughts?

My Cars
    89 325is, 2002 325iT
    So I have a '95 525iT and an E38 EC mirror, so it's PnP--lucky for me. Haven't pulled the cover off yet and my question is, do I have to make a cutout in the headliner for the rubber wiring cover to pass thru or is there some sort of punchout or perforated removable piece? Can't tell by the photos. If I need to cut the headliner, can I just use a razor knife?

My Cars
    E34 535i
    I have a 9/88 build 535i so I highly doubt I have the connectors for the EC mirror.

Where is the best location to tap the reverse signal?

My Cars
    93 525ia, 92 535it/5
    There is a small rubber sleeve with a few wires... it's really very thin. No need to cut anything.

My Cars
    89 325is, 2002 325iT
    Installed mine yesterday and had to pull down the light for the driver's visor mirror to find the connector and push it over to the right to come out the access panel.

I then used a razor knife--preferably an exacto--to first slowly and gradually cut an opening through ONLY the cardboard part of the headliner from inside, just to the right of center. Pull out the cutout piece of cardboard. Then cut an "X" through the cloth material from the windshield side, otherwise you'll separate the material from the cardboard and it will sag. You'll want to use one hand to hold the material in place while you make the cuts also.

Feed the connector and rubber accordion boot through the hole and plug connector into the mirror. Drink celebratory beer.

This is a very nice little upgrade!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540 M-Sport
    Anyone try the item attached below?

Website - http://www.radar-mirror.com/Store_V1_Mirrors.html (About 1/3 down the page)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1995 540 M-Sport Cosmos Schwarz on Parchment w/ (Open) 3.15 LSD - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1805972

Current Status : I SOLD HATE MEH... LOVE my car.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540 M-Sport
    anyone?
    1995 540 M-Sport Cosmos Schwarz on Parchment w/ (Open) 3.15 LSD - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1805972

Current Status : I SOLD HATE MEH... LOVE my car.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast