Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: electrochromatic (auto dim) rearview mirror upgrade

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

electrochromatic (auto dim) rearview mirror upgrade

Things I discovered upgrading to electrochromatic rearview mirror...or for those who are saying..."what is that"...it's the auto dimming rear view mirror. 8-)

Okay, where to begin?
    I had found the wiring harness (on my 95 525iT) 1 or 2 years ago rolled up above the headliner above the driver's sunroof visor...obviously accessed thru the sunroof access panel. I honestly don't remember why I was poking around up there...but I was and this is what I found (see pic below):

Well, curiosity being what it is...I checked to see if an EC rearview mirror would work...and since I have an e38 that came with one...it became my "temporary" donor. Unhooked the EC mirror from my e38 and hooked it up to the wiring harness in the e34 Touring and it worked (with some exceptions).

(my e38's electrochromatic (auto dimming) mirror is on the front right (note the small "dot" sensor on the top center of the mirror)...my e34's regular mirror is on the rear left)

It may be PLUG...but it does not PLAY!
    Although my Touring's wiring harness plugged right into the EC mirror ...AND...worked great and dimmed appropriately at night when headlights appeared in the mirror (it also worked correctly by clearing up when the car is put into REVERSE)...there was one major problem...the door locks and anti-theft system didn't work correctly.

Now, my 95 Touring has the RF (radio frequency) BMW/Alpine keyless entry system that uses the 3 button black rectangular fob. With the EC mirror installed...I had these weird door lock and anti-theft arming problems...some were annoying and I didn't like...some where kind of neat:
    1. the doors could be LOCKED with the fob...but not UNLOCKED with the fob
    2. doors had to be manually UNLOCKED (ALL the time)
    3. once the ignition was turned on...all doors would auto lock after approx 5 seconds if the driver's door was closed...and passenger doors that were still open would lock, too.
    4. after opening door and exiting, all the doors would lock automatically after approx 5 seconds if the ignition had been shut off and the driver's door was closed
    5. double-locking wouldn't initiate with either the remote fob NOR locking the door manually...although the red LED would flash after pressing the double-lock button on the remote fob. (I double checked this by lowering the windows and setting the double-lock with the remote fob...and verified that it had been set by seeing the red LED flash...reached in to pull up the door lock pins & pulling the door handles and in each case...the doors unlocked or opened...PLUS the alarm did NOT go off.

So, not wanting to deal with the what, why, where, etc...I put the old regular mirror back on (but ran the harness thru the headliner & left the wiring harness dangling near the rear view mirror in case I wanted to come back to it in the future.)

The future comes back
    So I'm on ebay Friday night July 13th (eerie & serendipitous) because someone had a link in their post on one of the BMW forums...and just out of curiosity I clicked on other items that this vendor was selling and they were selling a BMW EC rearview mirror for $24.99. I don't know why other than impluse...I bought it. It arrived this past Wednesday and I hooked it up to the dangling wire harness (glad I thought to leave it out). After a couple of days of the weird idiosyncrasies...and the weather cooling down to the upper 50s in the evening...I got a chance to probe around to see if I could get this thing to work in a more normal and less irritating manner by automatically locking all the doors almost immediately after exiting the vehicle!

(auto locking 5 seconds after starting the car was the one aspect that was kind of nice...BUT...auto locking too quickly once getting out of the car was dangerous if you didn't have the KEYS IN YOUR HANDS...and not being able to double-lock the car was definitely something that had to be figured out)

Shout Outs & Thank Yous
    Thanks to Shayne and some others whose names don't come to mind...I did find some info in the archives that helped make this thing work for my application. I found in the archives the 3 major wires/pins that I needed to operate the auto dim mirror:
    • pin #01 - reverse wire (blue/yellow) {returns mirror to normal view when reverse is selected)
    • pin #03 - positive wire (green/red)
    • pin #10 - ground (brown)

Also found info that pins #8 (pos) & #9 (neg) were for the Alarm's LED if you had the "Clown Nose" EC mirror (receives the RF signal for the keyless entry system). This didn't apply to my application because the mirror I got off ebay was just like the one in my E38 which only had the auto dimming feature and nothing else.

Exploration & Discovery Begin
    Since last evening cooled down to the upper 50s (making the garage tolerable to work in)...I thought it a good time to see what I could see. So my attempt to open up the wiring connector to take a crack at the pins began. I only have an e34 Bentley Service Manual in PDF format ... but I do still have and find my E32 Bentley Service Manual (bible) helpful. Now those of you who know how to read wiring diagrams...DON"T LAUGH...I don't have a grasp to what all the dots, arrows, & squiggles mean....but hey...I do know how to follow a straight line...and make good guesses as to what may be connected to what! (LOL) So looking in the wiring diagrams I found that the:

1. blue/brown/yellow wire connects to the GM (general module), driver's door lock, and anti-theft module
    2. blue/red/yellow wire connects to the GM & passenger's door lock
    Now armed with what wires that might possibly be causing the problem...I went back to the wiring harness...and how to open up the connector to get to the wires & pins. After spending about 15-20 minutes trying NOT to bust the connector...I figured out that one of the narrow sides of the (car's) connector slides upward and off...which exposes another connector that holds the pins. Once you remove the side that slides up...the wires and inner pin holder connector slides out of the larger one you can see dangling from the head liner. (see image below for directions on how to de-construct the wiring harness to access the pins/wires)

Armed with the info that I needed pins [1/3/10] I taped those wires together so that I could easily identify that they needed to be left alone. Since from searching the archives...I found that pins #8 & #9 had something to do with the Alarm LED (EC mirrors with the Clown Nose LED)...they were the first ones I pulled.

(NOTE: the wiring connector has the pin locations of #1, #5, #6, & #10 engraved on the bottom where it is inserted into the mirror's connector...which helps identify the pins)

I hooked the EC mirror up to the car's harness and gave it a try...and the door lock problem persisted. The 1st try was a NO GO. Since there are only 2 rows with 5 pins each in the connector...and I already knew #10 had to stay...and I had already pulled #8 & #9 (plus there is no #7 pin or wire)...I went for pin #6 which was the blue/red/yellow wire ...the same colors that the wiring diagram shows that go from the GM to the passenger door lock. I pulled that wire from the wiring harness and then connected the EC mirror to the harness and...BINGO!...everything worked.

The mirror dimmed when light was shined into the sensor in the mirror (with my finger over the sensor that faces the windshield) ... the mirror cleared up when the gear lever was put into reverse. The doors locked/unlocked with the key fob...the double lock function engaged & the red LED lit up. A road test at 4:30 am also proved that everything operates correctly, too.

Since everything worked after pulling PIN #6...I went back and pulled that wire completely out of the "bundle" and wrapped it up above the headliner making sure it can't short out on anything....and called it a night and buttoned everything back up.

Hope this can help others if they want to upgrade to an electrochromatic (auto dimming) rearview mirror.
    ************************************************** **************************
    EDIT: here's instructions on how to remove & remount the rearview mirror:

(to remove standard rearview mirror...start at step 2)

(re-mount instructions)
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-07-2007 at 10:34 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    00 528 sport;e34 540-RIP
    +100
    I want to do this someday, and someday ill find yours on a search

thanks very much for the info and write up!!

"Never let the bastards wear you down!"

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Good deal... you guys with the 94-95 are lucky in that you have the right connector to make it PnP, but unlucky that the factory alarm causes those issues with the later mirrors. I'm glad you found an easy fix for it so everyone can enjoy.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    I dont think that my car has the hook up for the electric mirror....

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by brods525 View Post
    I dont think that my car has the hook up for the electric mirror....
    ....okay.....why do you think you don't have the "hook up" for the auto dim mirror? It was an option starting with 9/92 build date...so that means that BMW included the wiring harness...and it should be tucked away above the headliner...probably in the same place I found mine...in about midway the sun visor.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-21-2007 at 08:47 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    ....okay.....why do you think you don't have the "hook up" for the auto dim mirror? It was an option starting with 9/92 build date...so that means that BMW included the wiring harness...and it should be tucked away above the headliner...probably in the same place I found mine...in about midway the sun visor.
    Oh well that would explain it, I just checked but I will have to check further.
    I REALLY want one of these.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    If you would like to see a few more pics and see how the harness goes thru the headliner (in front of the rearview mirror)...check out the write up I did when I first discovered the harness: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/739005/5

As you can see from my write-up today...I eventually went with the mirror that ended in 066 that was just like in my e38. It was removing pin #6 from the harness that stopped the problems with door locks & keyless entry.

Once you take the outer cover off the end of the connector (to access the wires & pins)...you'll need a very small screwdriver (like a jewelers tool set). The pins wouldn't come out of the connector until they were pushed...then they slid right out. If this doesn't make sense to you know...when/if you get to that point it will all be clear.

I advocate pulling the pin instead of hacking away at the wires...the thought of hacking the wires gives me the chills!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    that is the old style...

what you want is an electrochromatic from a e46 or e38. no adjusters and has the photosensor in the glass and on the front.

mine is build 6/92 and had the older 3 wire connector.
    I think 94s were the first to have the 10 pin.

This one is exactly like mine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-B...QQcmdZViewItem

My Cars
    '08 135is and '02 540
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    It was an option starting with 9/92 build date
    mine is a 1990 model and has the auto mirror

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    you're aussie, Q7 means N.A. spec cars.

My Cars
    '08 135is and '02 540
    makes sense

My Cars
    90 750iL,99 Forester
    Thanks for the info, QSilver. I picked up an e32 auto dimming mirror a week ago. Searched all around behind the vanity miror light and couldn't find the connector. Now I see what I was doing wrong. If I don't have the keyless entry installed will it be plug and play for me?
    94 525i - sold but not forgotten
    97 528i - shipped back to Europe
    98 740iL - dead and buried
    09 Forester XT - wife's

I did not create this chaos, nor can I end this chaos. I am but a visitor to this chaos.
    Chaos Visitor

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    yes. only issues I have ever heard of are with the ones with the factory alarms

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    So what about the mounting bracket, are they the same?

This one looks like it's what you were talking about.... It has the light sensor, just no clown nose, which is ok since my car has no alarm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...spagenameZWDVW

By the way, Attack Eagle, I LOVE YOUR TOURING!! It has ALL the cool gizmo things!!

My Cars
    90 750iL,99 Forester
    that's a e32 mirror, but a newer model than what I got.
    94 525i - sold but not forgotten
    97 528i - shipped back to Europe
    98 740iL - dead and buried
    09 Forester XT - wife's

I did not create this chaos, nor can I end this chaos. I am but a visitor to this chaos.
    Chaos Visitor

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    that's a e32 mirror, but a newer model than what I got.
    Which one did you have?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Personally...now that I found out that the newer style mirrors from the e38 can work with our 94/95 e34s...I would suggest finding one of the EC mirrors that are totally automatic and don't have the adjustable dials on them (like the ones you've been posting).

The one thing that makes me leary of the 2 mirrors you found on ebay is...they don't show the electrical connector. Remember, like AE (AttackEagle) stated...the earlier e34s had only 3 wires in their harness...and if the mirror is from an early e32...it may have a different connector. So if you go that route...have the seller send you good close up pics of the connector so at least you'll know if it plug-n-play or if you're going to have to splice wires together.

My first preference is for the straight auto dim mirror with no other accoutrements (well perhaps the compass would be nice, especially for my e38)...my 2nd preference would be one with a "small" clown nose.

WARNING: an insignificant personal opinion is give below...please don't be offended if you love or have a "clown nose" RV mirror...just voicing a design decision that I thought could have been better placed.

(I always thought the clown nose LED was a bit obtrusive...it does something that is basically only to be seen when the alarm is intiated (and mostly at night)...why does it have to be blatantly visible like a giant wart out in the open at all times. Placement of the LED within the air vent on top of the dash or on the dash (like in the e32), or even at the rear of the center console (like on my e34 Touring) would still serve well. When initiated...the LED still can be seen...and when not initiated the LED is out of sight and unobtrusive.)
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-22-2007 at 01:50 PM.

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    Cool write up.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    the e46 "stubby" is all but invisible, but those rudolph the red nose reindeer ones are atrocious looking... I wholeheartedly agree with you.

My Cars
    '95 e34 525iT, '88 e30 ///M3, '85 e30 325e
    Thanks for motivating me Q to get this finished on my car Nice detailed write up...

I am using an E65 RVMirror that I used~ This is the "Clown Nosed" / UGDO (universal garage door opener) version. The part # is 51-16-0-028-301.

I previously had the alarm LED wires for my alarm (a Stellar/ AutoLoc) wired up into a another terminal plug into the E65 RVMirror, so it would "arm/ illuminate" when the alarm was on (not the harness found tucked under the HL- I had nooo idea that was there !). So I pulled the two "alarm LED" wires out of the old terminal & transfered them into the tucked harness (pulled the existing terminal 8 out) & pulled #6 out as well.

I now have (working on the car):
    • The electro-chromatic feature on the mirror! ~very nice....
    • Interior lights that go on when the key/ car is turned off~ nice.....
    • Interior lights that go on (illuminate) when the car's alarm is "dis-armed"- NICE feature for night.......
    • Clown Nose alarm "light"

The only "side effect" I am noticing is that when the car's alarm is first turned on (armed) the RVMirror goes into "EC" mode for about 4 seconds, then f-a-d-e-s away (no problem?)

Now to get the UGDO wired in on that .........

Don McAdams
    McAdams /// AutoSport
    Vero Beach, FL

My Cars
    2002 325iT

I got back working on my own wiring nightmare a bit today. Trying to retroit a memory module from a mid 93 e32. I used the whole seat bottom since it was going to be easier than swapping out each of the drive motors. Today I found that the reason I was getting an SRS error was because the seatbelt switch in the e32 is from an early model without dual stage airbag. I have all the wiring diagrams to sort though, just need time. I don't have mem. mirrors or column so I still don't know what other wiring I'll need to do to make it work.

no love for the hatch

My Cars
    The '93/'94 E32 mirror is the best "plug and play" option for late E34 cars that didn't have it from the factory.

No messing around with the alarm or central locking issues. Great functionality. Plug and play.

Earlier ('91, possibly some '92) E32 750 and 735 cars have auto dimmers (not entirely sure on 735 production, but '92 have it). It is an adjustable electrochromatic with the 3 pin connector found in all early E34 cars. Although the style is dated, it's probably the best you can get in terms of function, as you can adjust the maximum amount of opacity, versus having the mirror decide against a set limit.

My 535 has a generic Gentex. My Touring has a late E32 mirror --

Breaking now...

E65/E66: '04 760Li, '08 750Li
    E60: '08 535xi, '08 528xi, '07 530xi
    E53: '02 4.4i, '05 4.4i, '03 3.0i
    E46: '01 330ci
    E39: '97 528i, '01 530i x3
    E38: '01 740iL
    E36: '98 328i
    E34: '92 525i
    ...and various others > more pics & info

>> Like my facebook page - facebook.com/bimmerpc

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by D///Mc3 View Post
    Thanks for motivating me Q to get this finished on my car Nice detailed write up...

I now have (working on the car):
    • The electro-chromatic feature on the mirror! ~very nice....
    • Interior lights that go on when the key/ car is turned off~ nice.....
    • Interior lights that go on (illuminate) when the car's alarm is "dis-armed"- NICE feature for night.......
    • Clown Nose alarm "light"

Now to get the UGDO wired in on that .........
    Great work...now that's how you GIT-ER-DUN!

If the mirror has power...why is the UGDO not working? Could it be a programming problem? If you have a GDO that has rolling code technology (relatively newer GDO mfg'd from the mid 90's-up)...if there is a programming button on the rear of the GDO hanging from the ceiling in your garage...sometimes to program the UGDO unit...you have to press that button instead of the remote fob buttons. The UGDO must also be cleared of any former programs, too. (you probably already know all of the above...thought I'd just throw it out there just in case)

Quote Originally Posted by lowell View Post
    The '93/'94 E32 mirror is the best "plug and play" option for late E34 cars that didn't have it from the factory.

No messing around with the alarm or central locking issues. Great functionality. Plug and play.
    Yep, great info Lowell...finding a late e32 EC mirror was my long term plan and one of the reasons I had put this mod off for so long. Then I ran across that 51 16 8 238 066 mirror from an e38 at such a great price...well, the rest is history.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Here's more info about the eclectrochromatic rear view mirror:

1. Click here for more info (wired colors) for the early 3 wire EC mirrors for the e31/e32/e34

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast