Thread: I held my own AND went down, and went home with a smile.

My Cars
    IP S52 E30

I held my own AND went down, and went home with a smile.

Against the RimPRO M3s:

Tom - 95, euro HFM, cams, custom software, 3.38 diff

Dan - 98 sedan, custom-built 320 HP NA Stickley engine

I just got my car back from some final CPO work after two months (details here), and was cruising along with Tom and Dan on Rt.3 in NH, from exit 12 down to exit 1, at about 1:30 in the morning.

Versus Dan:

The first time we went, I got a slight jump starting in the middle of 4th gear and it wasn't until the top of 5th that Dan was by me. This gave me a bit of false confidence, and I went again with him, this time starting in 3rd at about 70 mph, with different results. I went WOT, and started counting 1, 2, 3, 4...as I said "five, six" he had overtaken me with an authoritative force that clearly showed the true power of his car. Lesson learned - No more third gear starts with Dan.

Versus Tom:

No discernable advantage for either of us over the other in acceleration. However, we really never lined up and went toe to toe, but rather kind of just chatted on the Nextels and hit it whenever we saw a wide-open, clear stretch of road. Most of the time Tom was in the lead as he knew the terrain, and to my surprise when we would go WOT I would stay right in place behind him. I do suspect that were we to go on a "three honk" run that he would pull ahead, as his mods just plainly make for a clearly faster car.

I am quite happy with my new setup. With the loss of the ERT UDP, I can feel the torque loss under 4000 RPM, but the car is stronger than ever as it twists to redline. The AA 600 hp clutch kit is a Godsend - thanks to the advice of a certain drag racing BF.C mod I practiced launching my old clutch out of existence ( ) but now the car is a monster. I launched at just under 5000 RPM coming out of a toll booth with gorilla-style clutch modulation and the car absolutely tore off with only minor wheelspin. With the new engagement point right off the floor, shifts are immediate as I retract my leg, and are now blissfully bereft of tail wag with the replaced RTABs.

Only one more modification and I am done until the AA SC install. But that's another writeup for another time.
    Chris

My Cars
    97 M3
    Nice run'sWhat mod's do you have?:
    • EUROSPORT INTAKE • JC SOFTWARE • S50 MANIFOLD • EURO HFM • SCHRICK CAMS • 24LB INJECTORS • EVOSPORT UD PULLIES •
    • H&R SPORT SPRINGS • SUPERSPRINT EXHAUST • FAN DELETE • ASC DELETE • LTW FLYWHEEL • ROGUE CARBON/KEVLAR CLUTCH •
    • BILSTEIN STRUTS & SHOCKS • ZIMMERMAN X-DRILLED • BORED TB • X BRACE • ZKW'S • 4500K HID • ROGUE OCTANE SSK • TME'S •

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Originally posted by mr_green
    Nice run'sWhat mod's do you have?:
    JC CAI
    AA Clutch kit and LTW Flywheel
    B&B Tri-Flo
    Dinan Stage II Software
    Down on H&R Coilovers to keep it planted

Before, with the ERT UDP, I dyno'd at 225 whp / 226 tq, and then later re-dyno'd (with a cracked guibo, slipping clutch, and whining tranny) at 215 whp / 219 tq. Nothing special, really. And yet, even without the UDP, the car feels faster than ever over 4000 RPM and at highway speeds. :
    Chris

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Nice runs Chris.
    -Joe

My Cars
    Turbo BMW E36 318iS
    Good races
    Life is short. Run more boost.

Turbo E36 318iS Coupe
    234rwhp @ 18psi (Mitsubishi turbo)
    C&V Dyno Dynamics Dyno (2002)

Now running larger GT28 turbo.
    Waiting for 2003 Dyno Day

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    Chris, are you planning on installing one of the new pulley kits that don't change the crank pulley like RE's or UUC's?
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Originally posted by Rel44 M3
    Chris, are you planning on installing one of the new pulley kits that don't change the crank pulley like RE's or UUC's?
    It depends. If things work out the way I would like, I am just going to install the AA SC kit. Barring any unforseen expenses, of course. I would like to have it installed by the end of spring/summer, but if not, I will most certainly be returning to some sort of pulley setup.
    Chris

My Cars
    94 MTech/95 M3/WRX/SVO
    Chris, we need to line up!!
    Leo

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Originally posted by bimmer143
    Chris, we need to line up!!
    Sure, as soon as the car gets back from Turner, it's on.
    Chris

My Cars
    e46 330i
    Damn I knew I should have gone out to play with you boys. :

Dan's car is fast , don't feel bad at that loss.

Traction possible thanks to a Diffsonline 3:38 LSD

My Cars
    E36 M3
    sweet runs

Dakargelb E36 M3

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Thanks guys!

Baer, I was actually quite happy with how my car fared against the Stickley. Dan's top end is amazing considering he is all NA, he really hits hard once the RPM climbs over 4000.

In spite of my main workstation being down, I was able to hack these POS together:

Video 1 (3 MB)

Video 2 11.5 MB
    Chris

My Cars
    e46 330i
    Ok, lets meet up and Rip. I want you to check out how my car rips now. Also, I still have that Movado for you to look at.

My Cars
    "The AA 600 hp clutch kit is a Godsend - thanks to the advice of a certain drag racing BF.C mod I practiced launching my old clutch out of existence ( ) but now the car is a monster. I launched at just under 5000 RPM coming out of a toll booth with gorilla-style clutch modulation and the car absolutely tore off with only minor wheelspin. With the new engagement point right off the floor, shifts are immediate as I retract my leg, and are now blissfully bereft of tail wag with the replaced RTABs."

Awesome, Chris!

My Cars
    94 MTech/95 M3/WRX/SVO
    Originally posted by CMT
    Sure, as soon as the car gets back from Turner, it's on.
    Well, seeing as I just wrecked another front bumper cover, I'll have to wait a few weeks also!! Freakin F*&%^$*%&$*#^%$
    Leo

My Cars
    e46 330i
    Well, seeing as I just wrecked another front bumper cover, I'll have to wait a few weeks also!! Freakin F*&%^$*%&$*#^%$
    Leo, you have been hanging out with Vitolo again huh???

At this rate we should buy stock in BMW front bumpers.

My Cars
    94 MTech/95 M3/WRX/SVO
    Yeah, no doubt!!

I hydroplaned into a snow bank yesterday morning. I was hung over, been awake about 20 min, and I was doing the speed limit. I think I blew a tire, but, who knows, I was barely concious. I was just about to take my first sip of coffee when she got loose, went completely sideways, and slid over a 5 foot ICE bank. When I got out my left rear tire was completely flat, I think I picked up a nail.

Originally posted by -ursa-
    Leo, you have been hanging out with Vitolo again huh???

At this rate we should buy stock in BMW front bumpers.
    Leo

My Cars
    '97 E36 M3 2-door, '02 YZF-R1
    Yeah, no doubt!!

I hydroplaned into a snow bank yesterday morning. I was hung over, been awake about 20 min, and I was doing the speed limit. I think I blew a tire, but, who knows, I was barely concious. I was just about to take my first sip of coffee when she got loose, went completely sideways, and slid over a 5 foot ICE bank. When I got out my left rear tire was completely flat, I think I picked up a nail.
    Damn, not just hanging out with Vitolo, but taking driving lessons from him...

I need to win the lottery and have Stickley do my engine. OBD-II is just too restrictive for mere mortals to get the power out of (and I want to stay legal).

Hey, Chris, watch out for nasty starts out of tollbooths. Even if the cop's not sitting on the other side, I've heard stories of people launching out of tollbooths to find a roadblock up the road after the tollbooth operator called the police. "Please step away from the vehicle..."
    -c///m
    1997 Estorilblau M3 2-door
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Lighting: ZKW w/ HID, Euro clears, Lamin-X foglight film
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    e46 330i
    Originally posted by C///M

I need to win the lottery and have Stickley do my engine. OBD-II is just too restrictive for mere mortals to get the power out of (and I want to stay legal).
    Corwyn, I believe in MA that it is a federal offense to switch and OBD II car back to OBD I. So you would be "Breakin the law"

I don't know anyone that has done this OBD II - OBD I conversion. Do you???

My Cars
    '97 E36 M3 2-door, '02 YZF-R1
    Originally posted by -ursa-
    Corwyn, I believe in MA that it is a federal offense to switch and OBD II car back to OBD I. So you would be "Breakin the law"

I don't know anyone that has done this OBD II - OBD I conversion. Do you???
    Yeah, that's why I want someone who can do something with the OBD-II. I'm hoping Stickley can. I certainly can't. And I don't want to go OBD-I, for the legal considerations.

Ummm...judging from the way you asked that question, I think I have an idea of someone who has...

Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200.
    -c///m
    1997 Estorilblau M3 2-door
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Lighting: ZKW w/ HID, Euro clears, Lamin-X foglight film
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    IP S52 E30

Ummm...judging from the way you asked that question, I think I have an idea of someone who has...
    Stickley
    It's awesome when you answer your own question in the same post in which you ask it.

The thing about the Exit 12 tollbooth is that its totally automated and unmanned, at least at 12:30 am, and then again at 1:30 upon the return. The second time I used a lot less modulation, which resulted in a lot more sound and fury, but I also had 5 BMWs behind me, so Mistah Ossifuh would have had a hard time pinning it on me if it was only something he heard.

You can't let the Man get you down!

Leo, that sucks. I am really sorry about the misshap.
    Chris