Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Cars
    X5

04 E53 X5- Blue Tooth Do I have it or Not?

I just picked up the 04 E53 X5 3.0, now I'm wondering if it has Bluetooth (BT) installed already or not the BMW Dealer is'nt sure either, here are some points that indicate it may..

• Steering Wheel has Voice activation button (head with waves coming out from mouth) not BMW assist button
    • Console has Tele- Button -no BMW Assist button once again
    • Speaker near remote control.

I know in this year X5s BT was an option and you either had BT or Assist not both, or neither.

I tried useing my phone to search for BT with steps I got from another Forum where you hold down the Voice activation button before turning the key and let go once you turn the after a few second and the computer would say " Searching or something but that didn't work.

Someone said the BT Software needs to be re-activated in the X5 sometimes is that true?

I find this Dealer ship incompetent in the Used Department, Nice folks but not sure what their used vehicles have, cause they told me I don't have a Heated Steering wheel and when I took it home I found out I did!

So any one know how to make sure and certain you have BT?

My Cars
    bmw
    i would love to know the answer to this too!

all the forum responses regarding bluetooth are so sporadic

My Cars
    2004 E53 x5
    04 E53 3.0i here also.

Premium package, no NAV, looks like I have assist. Little dude with the voice on the wheel.

I have not been able to get the radio to tell me it was ready to pair. I read someplace their is another button in the console, but I dont have anything under the armrest that looks like a button.

I also read that you dont have both, but you could swap them.

My Cars
    E46 BMW 330xi, Honda Civic LX
    As far as I know, most 2004 models, including the X5 and 3-series had bluetooth if they were built in August '04 or later. My 330 was built in June, so I was S.O.L. I even had a bluetooth info card that came with my manuals and it had an access code on it. Unfortunately, the only way to get the bluetooth working on my car and others built prior to August '04, is to have BMW replace the TCU. That's about $2k, so I decided I could live without it.

My Cars
    2004 E53 x5
    my build date is 5/4

Im screwed. I cant see spending almost $750 for bluetooth. : (

My Cars
    2004 BMW X3 2.5
    Models After Nov Or Dec,have It,but Before That ,you Have To Install Their Module, Or Call Bmw Directly,1-800-578-5000, Tell Them The Year And They Will Tell You.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by bindas View Post
    I just picked up the 04 E53 X5 3.0, now I'm wondering if it has Bluetooth (BT) installed already or not the BMW Dealer is'nt sure either, here are some points that indicate it may..
    • Steering Wheel has Voice activation button (head with waves coming out from mouth) not BMW assist button
    • Console has Tele- Button -no BMW Assist button once again
    • Speaker near remote control.
    I know in this year X5s BT was an option and you either had BT or Assist not both, or neither.

I tried useing my phone to search for BT with steps I got from another Forum where you hold down the Voice activation button before turning the key and let go once you turn the after a few second and the computer would say " Searching or something but that didn't work.

Someone said the BT Software needs to be re-activated in the X5 sometimes is that true?

I find this Dealer ship incompetent in the Used Department, Nice folks but not sure what their used vehicles have, cause they told me I don't have a Heated Steering wheel and when I took it home I found out I did!

So any one know how to make sure and certain you have BT?
    First off, the little dude with waves coming out of his mouth doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Secondly, you have to also have your phone in the "searching for networks" mode when you turn the key on the vehicle. The vehicle searches for Bluetooth networks for the first 30 seconds every time you start it (if it has Bluetooth), and if the two find each other - presto - Bluetooth.

My Cars
    03 BMW m3 , 03 BMW x5
    All u need is any used tcu with a sticker on it that has a 4 digit pk code on it. I got one from salvage yard. I bought the Bluetooth antenna for $23 at BMW. Depending on how yours is wired its takes 20 minutes. U may need mic in headliner. Easy way to test is to start your car close the door put on your seatbelt and press the rt button on your wheel. U may have to press it twice. On your cluster it should say activate phone. If it does that u have BT. U can also check by your interior lights by rearview mirror. On the right side there will be a grilled out piece about 2 inches by 1/2 inch. If u take a flash light and see a foam mic pad u may only need tcu. U can pop out lights and reach up and feel the mic attached. Your car is prewired.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Were Tammy Faye and Jim invited to this revival?!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    bmw 325is
    I have Bluetooth in my 06 but it will not work with older phones. Call BMW service dept and they can tell you which phones work.

My Cars
    '03 M3 6MT / '06 X5 3.0i
    Even if you call BMW, they'll only be able to tell you if the car ORIGINALLY had Bluetooth. If it was added afterwards, they'll likely have no record of it.

To check, look for the Bluetooth Module. It is located in the trunk.

Remove the cargo cover (like if you were going to get your spare)
    On the driver's side, you'll see a plastic panel that has 2 or 3 10mm plastic nuts, undo those and remove the panel. There you'll see a silver box with a Bluetooth Passkey sticker right on top. If they installed it upside down, you'll have to remove the box to see the sticker, again, 2 10mm plastic nuts.

If there is no silver box, you probably don't have Bluetooth.

My Cars
    04 325 Ci
    OK... i know this is old... but after searching a length... i found a tip that appears to work with every module.
    Every BT enabled module will have on the sticker PK####. This will be the pass code that allows access to the module. My module has PK(but is blank).
    Example: 84116947308
    It has PK , but has no numbers next to it. Sadly, many are selling "Bluetooth" module on Ebay that aren't really BT enabled.
    DO NOT BUY ONE WITH OUT THE PK#### ON THE STICKER.

Edit:
    I found this info about some units that have the BT logo and a PK####. Some have found them not to connect. Still... stay away from any module that doesn't have the PK#### sticker and in addition, check out the date code if it does have it.
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10106749

List of modules: http://www.brianbernard.com/BMW%20DIY's/BMW_E46_M3_DIY/TCU/BMW-TCUandULF-PartNumbers.pdf

Pairing procedure: http://www.e38.org/ULFOwnerManual.pdf
    Last edited by rvaughnp; 01-31-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    Robert
    04' 325Ci (Daily Driver)
    03' X5 (Wifes)

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    E53s & other 2004 BMW models that don't have Bluetooth despite the owners manual saying you do:

And instructions for those with 10/04-up build dates and have the integrated TCU Bluetooth module and no actual built-on phone or pairing button in the center console like the previous BT module offered to earlier BMWs:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    BMW x5
    Hi I'm new to this
    But if somebody could help me I have a x5 4.8is
    I'm getting some white/ dark smoke out the tail
    Pipes.

My Cars
    04 325 Ci
    you are too new...
    This thread is covering bluetooth.
    good luck.
    Robert
    04' 325Ci (Daily Driver)
    03' X5 (Wifes)

My Cars
    2004 X5

Cool Bluetooth X5 2004 (04/04) production date with MFL Premium Package / No Nav

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    E53s & other 2004 BMW models that don't have Bluetooth despite the owners manual saying you do:

And instructions for those with 10/04-up build dates and have the integrated TCU Bluetooth module and no actual built-on phone or pairing button in the center console like the previous BT module offered to earlier BMWs:

I just purchased a used 2004 X5 (04/04) production date with Premium Package and BMW Assist with the MFL (steering wheel controls) and I was able to pair with my iphone. Please note that you must depress the talk/send button for 2 seconds with the key off and then continue to hold it down while you turn the key on and hold it for another 2 -3 seconds ... so 5 seconds total (then release the button) and then you will get the pairing code box to pop-up. It will ask for your PK code and enter in your 4 digit number and then hit pair and wait a 10-15 seconds and it will work. I tried a couple times without holding down the talk/send button on the steering wheel long enough. My iphone saw the BMW bluetooth ... but got an error message on my iphone "make sure it was on and ready" - and no pop-up box to enter the code. Took a couple tries. But alas ... success. Thanks for posting this info. It was very helpful. The phone manual was missing from my owners manual but luckily I had the PK code card.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    From what you wrote & describe...you have BT because sometime between 2004 & 2016 a previous owner had already upgraded your X5 with either the ULF or even newer TCU BT module
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Does anyone know if a TCU from an 04-10 E60 will work in our X5s?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Does anyone know if a TCU from an 04-10 E60 will work in our X5s?
    No..the e60 has a completely different communication bus...their TCU is designed to communicate on the MOST bus. The e38/e39/e53 BT TCU communicates on the I bus.

You can look at the info on the module and see which bus the module communicates on/over:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-09-2017 at 04:20 AM.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    My new to me 4.8is Has a PK on the TCU, and the middle (red) light on the nav headunit is constantly lit. On my M5, that light means there is no cell phone connected. Would it mean the same here? I have the PK, but nothing shows up in my BT screen when trying to pair.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    ...the middle (red) light on the nav headunit is constantly lit. On my M5, that light means there is no cell phone connected. Would it mean the same here? I have the PK, but nothing shows up in my BT screen when trying to pair.
    I believe that is correct. The red LED means there's no service, the green LED means the phone is in use, and I can't remember what the yellow/amber LED means right now (I'm drawing a blank).

Your 4.8is should use the instructions below for pairing...you have 2 minutes once the ignition is in KL R (ignition position 1) or KL 15 (ignition position 2) to attempt pairing. Activate your cell phones BT to search then turn on the X5's ignition...then look for "BMW _ _ _ _ _" to appear on your cell phone (the blanks should be the last digits of your X5's VIN). Select your BMW on your cell phone's list...then proceed to follow the instructions and enter the PK code.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-09-2017 at 11:39 AM.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    I believe that is correct. The red LED means there's no service, the green LED means the phone is in use, and I can't remember what the yellow/amber LED means right now (I'm drawing a blank).

Your 4.8is should use the instructions below for pairing...you have 2 minutes once the ignition is in KL R (ignition position 1) or KL 15 (ignition position 2) to attempt pairing. Activate your cell phones BT to search then turn on the X5's ignition...then look for "BMW _ _ _ _ _" to appear on your cell phone (the blanks should be the last digits of your X5's VIN). Select your BMW on your cell phone's list...then proceed to follow the instructions and enter the PK code.

I'm going to try this pairing method in a few!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I'm going to try this pairing method in a few!
    Oddly enough it still doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Oddly enough it still doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At what step do you think things don't work correctly? Is your X5 listed on your cell/smart phone as a pairable item? It took me several times for it to work. The last time was while parked in the garage at night...and I assumed it didn't work. When I got up the next morning...it was paired. Don't know what or how or why it didn't work before I went to bed...but in the morning it was working, and has worked ever since.

Make sure all previous phones have been cleared (I think only a few phones can be paired to the TCU)...and some have had luck unplugging the wiring harness...then plugging it back in.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I don't get past putting the phone (iphone) in pair mode, and turning the ignition to position 2. Nothing ever shows up on the phone, and if you select telephone from the nav system it just says "please wait". I think it's a unit without BT even though it has a PK. Some of the early ones were like that. I even tried disconnecting and reconnecting the module. I did notice that out of the 4 fakra connectors on the other end, only 2 were hooked up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast