Thread: Will 8 1/2" wheels with 245/40 tires fit E36 M3 front?

My Cars
    BMW 540i

Will 8 1/2" wheels with 245/40 tires fit E36 M3 front?

Thinking of running 8 1/2" wheels with 245/40/17 inch tires all around for track. Have Michelin Pilot SX MXX3's.
    Blue 2002 540i/6
    Former Arctic Silver 1998 M3 Track Car
    Shopping for new track car!

My Cars
    2011 M3 Sedan
    Yes they will. I run 17 x 8.5 with Hoosiers all the way around. You'll probably need more camber in the front to prevent rubbing. I run 2.5 neg. upfront and 2.25 in the rear.

Good luck.
    1998 M3 Sedan - Eurosport Pulleys, TC Kline Sport Suspension.
    Prior M3 - 1996 M3 - OBDI 3.2L, 30 lb Injectors, ECIS Intake, CSS Custom Chip, TMS Group N Suspension, MASR Sway Bars, TC Kline Roll Bar, Recaro SPG's, and more.

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Thanks, Dave...

Do your wheels have the stock 41mm offset?

... and that brings up another question. I had my front end "alligned" at a local shop, not the dealer. The tech told me he could only adjust the toe-in and not the camber! What's the deal with camber? Do you have to get camber plates, or whatever they are called, to adjust the camber on the M3's?
    Blue 2002 540i/6
    Former Arctic Silver 1998 M3 Track Car
    Shopping for new track car!

if you need clearance for big front wheels, pretty much yes. You can swap or rotate strut hats, but most people find this gives them too much neg. camber.

My Cars
    2011 M3 Sedan
    Sorry about that. I am running K-mac camber plates upfront. I believe the wheels are the stock offset. I got them from Turner.

Why don't you just test fit your rear wheels on the front? Probably the easiest way to see if your particular wheel/tire combo will clear the strut.

BTW - using camber plates will not increase or decrease the amount of strut-to-tire clearance that you have - the hub is fixed to the strut. When you change the angle of the strut with the camber plate, you're also changing the angle of the wheel the exact same amount. So, the distance between the strut and the tire remains the same.

About the only way you can get more clearance without going to a spacer is to use crash bolts to reduce the amount of negative camber, and then use the camber plate to add more negative camber. This will move the strut further away from the tire. However, it's a lot easier to just use a spacer.

Jim