Thread: Collector car insurance?

My Cars
    325ic, '93 Corvette Z07, '69 Firebird 400 Convert,

Collector car insurance?

My E30 is a weekend car only. I drive an SUV during the week, and weekends are split up between a Corvette and a muscle car. Those 2 get collector car insurance from Grundy and it's a steal. I thought I'd insure the E30 the same way, since they used to advertise "No model year limitations". But they won't insure it until it's 25 years old. I suspect they fear all E30's go on race tracks, but mines a cabrio. Has anyone else been able to get collector car insurance for their E30's? I asked to speak to an adjuster and Grundy but they wouldn't allow me to. Maybe we should all petition Grundy! I pay about $150/yr. each for my Corvette and '69 Firebird 400 Convertible.

My Cars
    '86 e30, '96 M3
    Keep us posted on your findings. I haven't done much research with collector insurance, but I've been thinking about going that route with both of my BMWs as I drive my Jeep the majority of the time.

My Cars
    '89 325iX, '93 525iT
    Try either American Collectors or Hagerty.
    -M

The rest of the fleet: '06 WRX, '01 Forester EJ205
    '90 325iX 4dr, '89 325iX, '91 318i, '89 525i, '71 2002, '99 528iT

Amish Mob - Monitoring those who misinform, and those concerned with Misinformation since 1997

My Cars
    e30, X3, Z3... K1100rs
    Ive been with State Farm for a long, long, time. They did a "special" on mine and gave me a collectors rate of about 2 bills a year.

Remember: Your life can be extinguished in ONE stupid moment. No one is invincible....

My Cars
    E30 325is and E46 330Ci
    Check this out:
    www classicins dot com (I'm not allowed to post web pages)

I got a cuote of $150 a year for my 325is 89 valued in 5,000

325is '89 5-spd.
    330ci '04 step.

My Cars
    '86 e30, '96 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by capucastro View Post
    I got a quote of $150 a year for my 325is 89 valued in 5,000
    What are the driving restrictions? Weekend only I'm sure, is there a mileage limitation?

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    I have my E30 insured with Amica as of last week. When I called them, I told the woman that my car is in excellent condition, and I have spent quite a bit of money restoring it. I have the intention of spending even more than I already have, and I know for a fact that the car's blue book value doesn't reflect the car's value in the enthusiast market. It would be nearly impossible for me to find another iX in the condition mine is in. I asked if there's any way to guarantee that I will get back at least a reasonable amount of what I have put into it. All she said was that I should hang onto my receipts, and they'll take everything into consideration. That's not terribly reassuring...

My Cars
    '86 e30, '96 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by kellie View Post
    That's not terribly reassuring...
    Not at all! I have my e30 appraised at $6500. That's on record with my insurance company. Makes me feel much better knowing the car's value won't be in question.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 Cosmos View Post
    Not at all! I have my e30 appraised at $6500. That's on record with my insurance company. Makes me feel much better knowing the car's value won't be in question.
    Who is your insurance company, and how did you manage that, if you don't mind me asking?

My Cars
    '86 e30, '96 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by kellie View Post
    Who is your insurance company, and how did you manage that, if you don't mind me asking?
    I have Allstate. They call it stated value insurance.

My Cars
    08 650i 08 128i 02 325ci
    American Classic has both my BMW and my 02 WS6 on a policy. The agreed value was determined by me and they only thing they needed was clear photos of all exterior angles, interior and engine, along with the odometer. They also have different mileage policies ranging from 2500 to 6000 per year. Thay also require you to have another vehicle with a regular policy as a daily driver, so this cannot be a DD.

My Cars
    98 318ti
    I talked to a guy at classicins.com and he said they don't insure, and even let anyone drive the insured vehicle, under 26 years old or 10 years driving. Wish I could find someone that would insure my convertible for cheaper. I don't meet up to those age requirements though.
    98 318ti 5Speed

My Cars
    '93 850 (DD), '88 zinno iX, '68 Mercedes 230
    You might be able to go for antique ins...my grandfather insured his '37 Buick 4-door vert (with a straight-8) pretty cheaply that way along with my grandmother's '84 rx-7 GSL-SE. Only thing is that you (personally) have to be 25 years old to qualify.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

My Cars
    E30ic, E39 M5
    Interesting thread. I have 5 vehicles currently insured through Geico and never even really considered a classic or "seldom driven" insurance policy for any of them. However, this looks as if it could save me a ridiculous amount of money on two of my cars, so of course I'm very wary of it.

To answer the question of driving restrictions, here's a quote from Classic Auto Insurance. Thanks to CapuCastro for the link.
    What kind of driving is allowed with your program?
    Pleasure driving is allowed in our program. You are not restricted to parades, car shows, and club events like other programs. We encourage you to enjoy your vehicle. However, we ask that you are prudent in not exposing your vehicle to theft and vandalism by not leaving it unattended for extended periods of time, such as in a parking lot, or parked on the street for hours.
    There are 3 mileage options, less than 1000 miles, 1000-3000, or 3000-5000. You must also have another car that is your DD.

My biggest concern is how big of a PITA it is to get taken care of in the event there IS an accident. Cheap insurance that doesn't do anything for me when I actually need it is worse than overpaying for it.

Anyone have any first-hand experiences with this type of insurance?

Tim
    Last edited by VacMan; 07-19-2007 at 05:50 PM.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats | MTech2 wheel | Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003

2000 E39 M5 | Stoptech brakes | Refinished OEM wheels w/10mm spacers | Powerchips Gold 91 | Timmay Tips/muffler delete | Functional brake ducts | DICE MB1500 Slimm diffuser | Cubic black trim w/alcantara boots

My Cars
    08 650i 08 128i 02 325ci
    My dad had a friend who had a 50 Merc. that was smashed from behind from a cell phone distracted driver. They did ask questions about a few things, but since he was "pleasure driving" (not on his way to work) they covered it very quickly. He got some pretty high estimates since there was a lot of custom work and they paid it no problem.

You do have to be careful about where you are driving it. To and from work is a no no, and yes, there is a min. age.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 Cosmos View Post
    I have Allstate. They call it stated value insurance.
    I tried that with Amica, but didn't have much luck. I wonder if it's just an Allstate thing.

My Cars
    86 911, 02 M3, 90 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by X Mon View Post
    Try either American Collectors or Hagerty.
    I used to have American Collectors on my 911 when I still owned it. They start all new policies at a 2500 mile per year cap, then give you the option of incresing to 5-6000 miles a year if you want. It was pretty painless, they just took about 10 pictures of the car, checked the odometer and logged it, then I stated how much I wanted it insured for.

My Cars
    1988 325ix
    Couldn't you just get a different cluster let them inspect it drive it for 2000 miles then pull it, put in the other one then drive it the rest of they year then the next time they need to inspect it put in the one that you put the 2000 miles on and then be good? My be insurance fraud though....humm

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3 coupe silver
    Quote Originally Posted by VacMan View Post
    My biggest concern is how big of a PITA it is to get taken care of in the event there IS an accident. Cheap insurance that doesn't do anything for me when I actually need it is worse than overpaying for it.

Anyone have any first-hand experiences with this type of insurance?
    Generally, they are very good at claims handling.
    I've worked as an independent auto damage appraiser and have done work on occasion for a few of these companies (because they have so few claims, they do not have their own appraisers on staff). The quality of an independent appraiser can vary greatly. That's the only downside I can see, but if you have a huge dispute you can request another independent appraisal and probably take care of any issues.
    NASA HPDE instructor

My Cars
    e30, X3, Z3... K1100rs
    Quote Originally Posted by 88E30IS View Post
    Couldn't you just get a different cluster let them inspect it drive it for 2000 miles then pull it, put in the other one then drive it the rest of they year then the next time they need to inspect it put in the one that you put the 2000 miles on and then be good? My be insurance fraud though....humm
    .....ya THINK?

Remember: Your life can be extinguished in ONE stupid moment. No one is invincible....