Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: German HP Vs any other HP

My Cars
    Misc.
    Quote Originally Posted by carrrnuttt View Post
    You were being serious?

I guess it's my fault, as I didn't see where you're from, and it's likely that English isn't your first language.

It sounded like you were being sarcastic about the value of "German horsepower", considering all the fantastical kills that have been written in Kill Stories over the years.

To some of you:

I guess Germans made the 2003-2004 SVT Cobra too, considering they were rated at 390 crank HP, and were dyno'ing close to 380 WHP in some cases. Not to mention the LS1 Camaro - rated at "325 crank HP", yet were dyno'ing up to 305 WHP in some cases.

Germans must have also made the new Z06: SAE Rated at 505 crank HP, yet are putting up to 465 HP to the wheels. At a conservative estimate of 15% drivetrain loss, that's more than an estimated 540 crank HP.
    And SL600s advertise under 500hp, and yet put out 460-480hp to the wheels...and forget about the torque...

Porsche have also historically have had very strong performance relative to hp.

My Cars
    96 328is, 01 M5
    all i can say is the "new" mitsubishi eclipse with "260"hp is definately not living up to its numbers...... because i've beaten like 2 or 3 on the street with my "215"hp car (i'll say 215 because of my CAI, m50 manifold and shark injector..... just for fairness)

which is sad... for them

^^ Really old picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I am going to make a bold claim, that the f30 is this millenium's e30...... god needed a new chariot, he decided to upgrade to something thats not falling apart and making farting noises down the street having satan laughing at him.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
    Idiocracy was supposed to be cautionary tale, not a prophecy.

My Cars
    Shitbox Suzi
    it also depends how they measure their HP, DIN and SAE measurement of the same motor will give different power outputs.

SAE, iirc, gives a lower, but more accurate power figure.

If i remember this correctly (if not, its the other way around)

SAE measures crank HP with all engine accessories fitted, such as water pump, alternator, fan, pwer steering pump ect ect.

DIN measures crank power WITHOUT these accessories, and hence their parasitic power loss isnt factored in.

In australia, ford measure in DIN, and holden (GM) measure in SAE.

another factor is the efficiency of the drivetrain. 300hp in one car may result in 200rwhp while another may see 250rwhp. hence one car will be faster (all things being equal)
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Pick any two, and the third is laughable

My Cars
    Noble M400
    Quote Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
    German car with the same hp are faster because American cars measure their hp at the shift knob, and Japanese cars measure their hp at the stickers, so after you calculate the power loss through the idiot behind the wheel, you win!
    Simply awesome.

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12