25 28.41%
  • E46 4dr

17 19.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e36 or e46

My Cars
    a totaled 98 328i :(

e36 or e46

I am finally going to buy the car I have always wanted.

A BMW

Thing is I dont know if I should get a e36 or e46

Regardless of looks what do you think of the two?

I am concerned with handling. Things like cornering, brakes, drive train. Not just power, I am actually less concerned with power, but other drive train features. Like LSD or Traction Control. Variable Valve Timing. I really dont know much about BMW's

I would like to know whats better about the e46. Is it worth waiting a little longer and saving some more money?
    Or is the e36 just a little bit more pure, just as good just not as refined? what I mean by that I dont know. Just read it somewhere. Perhaps someone can explain that.

What I am looking for is bang for you buck..
    is the e46 worth the bang for the more buck?
    or can I find a well taken care of low miles cheap e36 and not think omg if I got the e46 I would have this and this. Or is the e36 still just as much a "drivers" car as the e46?

Thanks guys...

(was told this was the place to ask this question, started out here)
    forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=488085

My Cars
    1998 E36 323i
    I've never driven an E46 out of a parking lot, but I know they're very comfortable, and look a hell of a lot newer than the E36. But to be honest, I think BMW lost something with the E46 that they've never got back. The driver centeredness of the dash, the focus on sportiness rather than luxury, etc.

I now own an E36 (just got it) and I think it's fantastic, but as I've said I've never properly driven an E46, I just don't think it's worth the extra money as far as performance goes, but if style and comfort is more important to you then maybe an E46 would suit you better?

Oh yeah, and the 4dr E36 is a lot less stiff than the 2dr as far as I can tell from driving them. Enough to make me relentlessly pursue 2dr's when I was buying.

My Cars
    BRZ, S2000
    E36 is more of a drivers car, where E46 will be more comfortable and luxurious. I haven't owned many cars, but when I get in my e36, I feel like I'm getting into a racecar, because it feels so raw and connected to the road (in a good way). If you want a more comfortable ride, go e46, if you want a funner driving experience, go E36. The only way to tell for sure what will suit you best is to test drive both models.

As far as 2dr vs 4dr, there is A LOT of debate on which performs better, some say 4 dr's are stiffer because of the extra door support in the middle, some say no. However, if there is any performance difference, it is soooo small that it should not impact your decision. If you have a family and kids, go 4 dr, if you drive by yourself mostly, go 2 dr. 2dr is so much sexier, but 4dr is much more functional, although I do not find my coupe to be too small or unfunctional at all.
    Good luck

My Cars
    00 328Ci, 06 M3, 01 325i
    I have a fair amount of seat time in all E36's, from the 318is to the M3, and with the E46 from the 323 to the 330ZHP, and I have to say that the E46 was a significant leap forward for BMW without losing anything in the process. The same cannot be said for the E46 to E90/92 change.

It wasn't until after all of this driving that I decided on my E46 coupe, a 328 nonetheless. The driving dynamics are about the same, but the E46 has better brakes, more comfortable interior, feels much better put together (when have you ever seen an E46 glovebox fall apart? Didn't think so...), has more room in the back seat of coupes, bigger trunk, updated computer, and IMO looks better and newer. The driver controls still feel like they wrap around the driver (many of my friends who know nothing of BMW have actually said this), and in getting the 328 I felt like I was getting the best engine from the previous generation with the best bodystyle of the newer generation.

It's all up to opinion, really, but also consider if you are going for cosmetic modifications down the road, there is much more to be done with E46's than E36's just because of the curvier, wider body. What front bumper have you seen on an E36 besides the M3 one that looks "good"? I can't really think of many either.

All that said, I've seriously been considering buying an E36 M3 as a track car.
    2006 M3 ZCP/6MT AW/IR - Vorsteiner Dual-Side Dry CF GTR Hood + CSL Trunk + Diffuser + Roof + Mirrors + Sideskirts, VAC CF CSL airbox + bored ITB's + Valvetrain Stg3, SS Ver1 Stepped Headers + Akrapovic Ti exhaust, KW Clubsports + Hotchkis sways + UUC/AKG/RE/TMS PowerFlex bushings and mounts, Mason F+R steel strut braces + rear brace, Zionsville rad + Stewart pump + Samco hoses, TMS Pulleys + VAC Dampener, Beisan full VANOS, Recaro Sportster CS CF seats, UUC EVO3 SSK+DSSR w ZHP knob, OE CSL CF Interior, UUC Stg1 DM Clutch+FW 23lb total w SS line, Performance Friction Monoblock BBK (4p 358x34mm 2pc front + 4p 355x32mm 2pc rear, slotted) w SS lines, Volk TE37SL 19x9f 10.5r, ARC-8 18x10f 10.5r, BBS LM 19x9.5f 10.5r, and more...
    2000 328Ci 6MT/ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HK Topaz Fully-Built motor w 11.5psi ESS Lysholm blower @ 10.5:1 CR, OS Giken 3.15:1 LSD w 6MT... 419rwhp/392rwtq 93oct and 2972lbs... Nothing is stock.
    1999 M3/2/6 Alpine White w Euro S50B32 + 6MT,
    ?t="[/

My Cars
    a totaled 98 328i :(
    Someone told me on another forum to get a M3 e36 so I will atleast have limited slip. No e36 had limited slip besides the M3? How easy is to find a limit slip differential for the e36? whats the ballpark $$ on one?
    Do the E46's have limited slip? or just annoying traction control?

My Cars
    1997 328is, 2004 325ci
    I own both, and I think you should go with the e36, rather than e46. It is more fun to drive, less about looks but great handling, and if you find one that's well taken care of, you'll fall in love. The e46 are still pretty expensive compared to the e36, so you would have to pay a lot more to get one that's in good condition. And condition matters because you'll pay through the roof for repairs
    Kevlar deleted my posts and dethroned me

My Cars
    135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad ibnFadlan View Post
    Someone told me on another forum to get a M3 e36 so I will atleast have limited slip. No e36 had limited slip besides the M3? How easy is to find a limit slip differential for the e36? whats the ballpark $$ on one?
    Do the E46's have limited slip? or just annoying traction control?
    Virtually no BMW 3-series (or, IIRC, any non-M BMW) has an LSD after about 1995, when ASC was standard for every model.

All E36 325iS's (maybe even the 325i 4-doors) pre-'95 (again, IIRC... may have been '94) with Cold Weather Package came with LSD.

However, I wouldn't get a 325iS just because of that. The M52 in the 328i(S) has much more torque and 1 whopping more hp. I'd definitely get that if you can. Oh, and the 1996+ (i.e. M52) cars have body-color bumpers and lowers, which is much nicer than the ugly gray bumpers found on the older 318i(S)/325i(S)'s.

I'd get an E36 328i(S) if I were you. Quick enough (about 0-60 in 6.5-6.7, 1/4 mile in 14.8-14.9), handle like a dream, and more modern with digital climate control (and, important as well, R134a instead of the $$$$$ R12 freon in the A/C system) and other niceties. Still, you won't pay the premium you will for an E46--and you'll get a better driver's car.
    E82 135i: Alpine white on black leather; ZSP; ZCW; iPod/USB
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    1997 328is, 2004 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoes View Post

I'd get an E36 328i(S) if I were you. Quick enough (about 0-60 in 6.5-6.7, 1/4 mile in 14.8-14.9), handle like a dream, and more modern with digital climate control (and, important as well, R134a instead of the $$$$$ R12 freon in the A/C system) and other niceties. Still, you won't pay the premium you will for an E46--and you'll get a better driver's car.
    Agreed, 328is FTW!!!
    Kevlar deleted my posts and dethroned me

My Cars
    96 328i, 86 325e
    I said E46 2-door. Don't kid yourself, a 3-series isn't a race car whether it's an E36 or E46. It's a solid, refined car, that looks nice, and feels good to drive. It still gets its pants beated by the STIs and SRTs on the road these days.

I think the best looking BMWs ever made are the pre-facelift E46 coupes, so that's what I voted for.

My Cars
    e46
    Wow, get an e46.

The e46 is one of the best designed cars of our time. Audi and Mercedes engineers hold it in the highest esteem. The interior is much, and I mean MUCH greater than an e36. Put it this way, you will not feel your interior is much greater than a Saturn in an e36. You will have more problems with an e36 than an e46, some blame on age, some blame on design.

The e36 was more groundbreaking at the time of its inception, and it bridged the gap from classic and modern BMWs. It still has some of that e30 DNA, but is it a serious player in the luxury field? Will it feel more luxurious than an Integra of its time? No and no. Sure it's a drivers car, but so is a Toyota MR2, RX-7, etc. And even their interiors and styling is greater than the e36!

Enough about the shortcomings of the e36. Great car in its day, but it is quite dated. The e46 looks modern, feels modern, drives modern. For around $12,000 you can feel like you are driving a new BMW. NO e36 will feel like a new car. e46 have more updated engines as well. Much quieter. Still very sporty.

Save the extra cash, get an e46, don't look back.

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezard View Post
    Wow, get an e46.

The e46 is one of the best designed cars of our time. Audi and Mercedes engineers hold it in the highest esteem. The interior is much, and I mean MUCH greater than an e36. Put it this way, you will not feel your interior is much greater than a Saturn in an e36. You will have more problems with an e36 than an e46, some blame on age, some blame on design.

The e36 was more groundbreaking at the time of its inception, and it bridged the gap from classic and modern BMWs. It still has some of that e30 DNA, but is it a serious player in the luxury field? Will it feel more luxurious than an Integra of its time? No and no. Sure it's a drivers car, but so is a Toyota MR2, RX-7, etc. And even their interiors and styling is greater than the e36!

Enough about the shortcomings of the e36. Great car in its day, but it is quite dated. The e46 looks modern, feels modern, drives modern. For around $12,000 you can feel like you are driving a new BMW. NO e36 will feel like a new car. e46 have more updated engines as well. Much quieter. Still very sporty.

Save the extra cash, get an e46, don't look back.
    I don't understand where you feel the E36 interior comes up short. Material quality? Build Quality? Personally, I preferred the design (materials not withstanding) & layout of my old E36 to that of my E46's dash. The E36 is completely driver-centric, whereas the E46 begins to show a departure from this.

To the OP, I would find a nice E36 M3. Having owned both an E36 M3 and an E46 M3, I still feel that the E36 is an overall more fun driving experience. Yes the E46 is faster, has higher handling limits, and better brakes. But the E36 M3 handles 95% as well, has better steering, more than enough braking power unless you're tracking the car, and looks better. Plus there is an intangible with the E36 that you don't get from the 46 - the car talks to you. It tells you what is going on - if you hit a pebble, you know it. The E46 shields the driver from these things. If I could've owned both simultaneously, I would not have sold my E36. However, I needed something newer and more reliable, hence the switch.
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    Mostly BMW's...
    I own both an E36 and E46 and for "bang for the buck" I would say go with the E36. The E46 definately looks better, it is more luxurious and definately more comfortable for longer trips, but it lacks a some sportier qualities.

In my opinion get an E36.
    1) The E46 doesn't feel as much as a sports car as the E36, it may handle better but you feel more "in the action" while in the E36.
    2) The E46 is more reliable than the E36 but parts for the E36 are more common than Civic parts nowadays.
    3) With very little money you can make the E36 outhandle any E46 in town.

Good luck with your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by jslv View Post
    can you give me an idea of when to shift?

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    I don't understand where you feel the E36 interior comes up short. Material quality? Build Quality? Personally, I preferred the design (materials not withstanding) & layout of my old E36 to that of my E46's dash. The E36 is completely driver-centric, whereas the E46 begins to show a departure from this.
    You said it. The cheap feel of things. Material quality, and build quality. Just look at the doors. Yuck.
    Not sure about the Ms, but I would assume it would be much better to be driving an e46 M3 over an e36 M3 as well.

Nice M3 BTW.

My Cars
    '94 325is, '83 533i
    Save your money, get an E36, and boost it!

1999 540i6: Sport model, cold air intake, UUC SSK, Magnaflow'd, OEM M5 front bumper, 17x9 Style 32s all around
    1994 325is: In pieces prepping for S52 swap. See below.
    1997 M3 Parts car: Schrick'd
    1983 533i: "Custom" intake, Straightpipes(muffler delete), Z3 shifter, Plasti-Dip'd everything, Lipo'd bumpers, tinted bumper reflectors, Bosch fogs, M5 spoiler, Borbet Type A's, Low as fack
    1994 530i: Sold
    1990 325i Coupe: Sold

My Cars
    135i
    You said it. The cheap feel of things. Material quality, and build quality. Just look at the doors. Yuck.
    Not sure about the Ms, but I would assume it would be much better to be driving an e46 M3 over an e36 M3 as well.

Nice M3 BTW.
    I would have to respectfully disagree with you. Compare the E36 interior to its competition and it is spot-on. Aside from the sagging gloveboxes, occasionally shrunken door panels, and a couple other E36-specific interior QC problems, the E36 interior--esp. on sport package-equipped vehicles--is just as nice (in most cases, IMHO, nicer) than the MB and Audi competition. And compared to the Japanese or American cars? Hahaha, there's no competition... the E36 blows them away even in interior design.

BMW has never been known for especially plush, MB- or Audi-like interiors--but rather for functionality, simplicity, and just plain good raw materials (aside, again, from the relatively minor QC issues in the E36). Function over form, I suppose it would be called. The E36 offers this in spades.
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoes View Post
    I would have to respectfully disagree with you. Compare the E36 interior to its competition and it is spot-on. Aside from the sagging gloveboxes, occasionally shrunken door panels, and a couple other E36-specific interior QC problems, the E36 interior--esp. on sport package-equipped vehicles--is just as nice (in most cases, IMHO, nicer) than the MB and Audi competition. And compared to the Japanese or American cars? Hahaha, there's no competition... the E36 blows them away even in interior design.

BMW has never been known for especially plush, MB- or Audi-like interiors--but rather for functionality, simplicity, and just plain good raw materials (aside, again, from the relatively minor QC issues in the E36). Function over form, I suppose it would be called. The E36 offers this in spades.
    The materials in the E36 interior are my biggest grip. In 5 years of ownership, the only problems I had with the interior were due to materials - my glovebox button broke cause the plastic was crappy, & the seat pull broke (for the same reason).
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i

Nice M3 BTW.
    Thank you

True, but you need to consider the era the E36 was designed in (1990-91). For its time it was well above par for build quality, and initially the material quality was better than the competition. I had a 99, and I loved the leather on my doors. However, I wish the plastic on the rest of it had been more in the vein of the material my E46 dash is made of.

The bottom line is this:
    If you want a raw feeling, more pure car, get the E36.
    If you want something a bit more refined that gives up nothing in terms of performance, but is on the heavy side, get the E46. And don't settle for a non-M E36. Trust me on this one
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    M3, 328i, 951
    Just get a facelifted E46 ci. end of story.
    FS: 95 M3 HFM used, stock air-box, stock chip, factory head-unit, factory 6 disc changer and other misc parts. PM for more info!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 318Mpower View Post
    Thanks "DJ Genius" , not everyone is a hater. I might actually do a jdm b16 swap(keep laughing when I'm putting down more HP/TQ than you) with triple ESC( electric supercharger newbs) megasqurit independent fuel management, GReddy boost controller and BOV. This setup is good for atleast 300WHP. My friends civic had the same setup.

My Cars
    95 Cosmos M3...
    E46 Ci!

My Cars
    Slow E90 and a Fast E90
    Every knows the E46 is a better car.
    Ian

My Cars
    95 M3, 2017 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by CVGTURBO86 View Post
    Just get a facelifted E46 ci. end of story.
    +1111111111

Schrick | AST | Vorshlag | CCW | Cobra | Kirk | OMP | Motion Motorsport

downeaster1 is offline Expert De-Vanos-er BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    135is #502 of 586
    NO!
    E36 4dr FTMFW!

My Cars
    Accordian 6-6
    E46 Coupe. Hands F'ing down...

330Ci with Sport Package, navigation and 6-spd.....SEX!

Just look how sexy this is:

Last edited by Chinny4290; 07-13-2007 at 01:04 AM.
    Editor-In-Chief: www.egmcartech.com
    RIP W124

My Cars
    E60 M5, E92 328
    e46 m3 > e36 m3 > e46 330ci > e36 (is) > e46 323i/325i
    .Marc.
    Gone:
    LSB/BLKE46 M3
    SIL/BLK E36 M3 VERT
    BLK/BLKE36 M3 CPE

My Cars
    135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinny4290 View Post
    E46 Coupe. Hands F'ing down...

330Ci with Sport Package, navigation and 6-spd.....SEX!

Just look how sexy this is:

6 spd. did not come with sport package, but with ZHP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast