Thread: Maintenance at non-BMW repair shops

My Cars
    97 528i

Maintenance at non-BMW repair shops

Hi, has anyone done their maintenance at non-BMW repair shops? BMW charges a lot for oil changes. Same question goes for the periodic Inspections. Thoughts, stories would be appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    2002, 528i, LS430, RX330
    I like to consider my garage a Non-BMW repair shop. I get 'er done

If you must use a non-BMW shop make sure they atleast look a little competent and are willing to listen to your suggestions. They should be able to do an oil change no problem, but when it comes to diagnosing problems....they may need a little guidance as to where to look.

My Cars
    '01 E39 /'01 E46
    BMW reamers charge alot just for walking in the door, but.. with that said, the oil can be pricey regardless. You can eaily change the oil & filters yourself, and reset the dashboard "timer" with the right tools. Same goes with most of the other repairs as well.... BUT... a shop that knows BMW's are a good thing to have in your back pocket so to speak.. The inspections thru BMW can also be pretty costly, and they never seem to find everything that needs to be fixed. (IMHO) and a return trip is usually req'd prettty soon. I go to a friends shop that is Bimmer certified and he always does a better job for cheaper than it would cost just to drive on the lot..
    I recently got all my windows tinted AND the thermostat and a coolant flush/ and replaced for 250.00 complete... I guess it just depends who you know and what they know as well..best of luck- a good shop is hard to find.
    it's expensive.. but soooooooooooo worth it.
    a good rule of thumb is STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALER unless you really- really have to...Indy shops are hungrier anyway. you wil always do better assuming they know what they are doing
    THE FINEST CAR EVER MADE-2001 Alpina E39 Electric red / Dove-grey montana leather w/ ski-bag option, cold weather(heated glass/mirrors & seats) premium and sport suspension package, Xenon lamps and Stealth bulbs, JDM Fog lamps, Bilstien's, Hankook Ventus V12 w/ Style 5 wheels (other sold), 30% tinted glass w/factory window shades/power rear and custom made sun-blocker panels, Zimmermann cross drilled rotors w/ Akebono pads, Stewart water pump. Too much to list except the TEC cupholder!! Salinas,Calif to Thousand Oaks on ~1/2 tank (325 mi @ 34.7 mpg). T.O. to San F on a tank (525 mi)!

One complaint: It wants to go fast (oops!).

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Yeah, I do all the work (apart from oil changes which I do myself) at an indy shop. They're cheaper than the stealer, but not a whole lot cheaper. They do have the BMW diagnostic software though and all the other goodies.

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    I rescued/bought my 528i from a honda dealership... they sent me a discount coupon for my oil change... I'm thinkin about goin for it...
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    2003 530i
    I take my car to and Indi shop that works on all German cars. He's honest enough to admit when a problem is over his head. Thank God he hasn't had to tell me that yet.

My Cars
    BMW 540, 530 :)
    This is what i did:

I had the same dillema with my past cars that i cared for very much. What to do, the dealer being expensive and inconvenient and many "other" shops were some of the most incompetent mechanics i have ever met in my lilfe. They permanently put me off to ever trusting my car to anyone. I am very passionate about that.

Incompetent mechanics cost us soooo much money it's not even funny. You only think you'll save money. But it will usually only be the beginning to your problems.
    As an example i went to a local jiffy lube in a moment of mental cloudiness for an oil change. They broke my rubber mounting shocks for the oil filter housing. So the whole unit just fell to the side. Then they tell me " it was like that when you came in"> I almost had a fucking seizure on the spot! What bullshit, they broke it right in front me, LOL! So in the end, who needs the aggravation, extra repairs costs to fix fuck ups. So i decided a long time ago, that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself! So i do everything myself.

Buy some basic tools and change you own oil. For $80.00 you can have an oil change with the best exotic synthetics and filters. If you do it. Time = 15 min.

1. Buy an oil vacuum ($50)
    2. Suck out oil through dipstick
    3. Unscrew oil filer and replace
    4. Insert new filer
    5. Refill with about 7 quarts in the case of my 540.

Done.! You never even have to touch oil. You could do it in while gloves, providing a clean enough engine bay, as all should be, BTW!!

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    Never have to touch oil? How do you get the dirty dripping oil filter off then?

LOL.....

My Cars
    BMW 540, 530 :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina540i View Post

LOL.....

You hold the cap with one hand and the filter dangling. You drop it into a large zip lock baggy, then grasp the filer through the plastic bag. Snap off and you're done with the messy part.

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina540i View Post
    Put a ziploc bag over it.

My Cars
    99 540i
    You need to find an independent shop that specializes in BMWs. I had one that I went to in Chicago, and now I have one in the Detroit Area, and I know of another one here too. You may want to check around the Denver area if there are none there in Boulder.
    1999 540i Sport

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by fuddyduddy121 View Post
    You need to find an independent shop that specializes in BMWs. I had one that I went to in Chicago, and now I have one in the Detroit Area, and I know of another one here too. You may want to check around the Denver area if there are none there in Boulder.

Ooooooooh!!!
    Where in Chicago may I ask????
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -

My Cars
    99 540i
    1999 540i Sport

My Cars
    '06 X5 4.8is
    find an indy shop that has a registered bmw master tech there. cheaper than the stealership but you get the same knowledge.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Man I wish that shop was closer to me. Too far a drive from where I'm at, in the southwestern suburbs. I really need to find a reliable mechanic too.

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Man.. looks like a quality place.... but too far for me as well....
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    As a tip, bring your car to an indy on a day that you don't have anything to do and tell them to take their time, if someone comes in that needs a rush job let the indy know that they can be catered to first. Also, wash your car before you bring it in. What you want to do is convey the attitude that you care about your car. This is especially true at a specialized indy shop like a BMW shop, Merc shop, Jag shop, etc. The guys that work there are usually enthusiasts themselves, and they'll care more for and be more careful with a car that has a caring owner and looks like it's treated well.

My Cars
    99 540i
    Even though I used to live downtown, I would take mine up there and leave it for a few days. I would take the Metra back or rent a car up there and drive it back.
    1999 540i Sport

My Cars
    92 400e, 03 k32, 00 540it
    Make sure the indy shop has a Auto Logic system or a GT1 system.

My Cars
    2000 540IA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by sunman View Post
    Make sure the indy shop has a Auto Logic system or a GT1 system.
    I have a great Indy- Can you tell me what Auto Logic is as well as GT1?

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    you should just change your own oil

then drop by any pep boys and ask the Master Tech to reset your lights for you... give him like 20 bucks.... those Snap-On scanners cost upwards $7000

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread