Thread: 1997 E39 Radio/Head Unit....HELP!!!

Exclamation 1997 E39 Radio/Head Unit....HELP!!!

I have a 1997 528i with a factory sound system. Everything was working fine till a few months ago when I lost the capability to listen to the radio and the tapedeck. I can still listen to CD's though. I have a factory 6CD changer in the trunk. It appears that the headunit blew something inside (i.e...relay, switch) that doesn't send sound to the speakers when I change the source to tapedeck or a radio station. But when I change the source to CD it works perfect. I had the system checked out and was told that I needed a new headunit.

Any suggestions?
    Does anyone have a radio/headunit from a 1997 528i (E39) or similar?

PS.
    My unit has an AUDIO button on the right hand side that also says DSP on it. It allows me to edit my EQ settings and echo level. I have seen a unit for sale that has the AUDIO button but does not say DSP on it. It is from a 1999 528i.
    Does anyone know if I will still be able to control my EQ settings with this unit?

Please Help...
    I'm getting sick of listening to just CD's...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '98 540i/6
    Don't know if you'll lose it, and if you have the BC funtion you might lose that as well.

I recommend looking at a salvage yard for exactly what you have.
    Greco540
    '98 540i/6 Biarritz Blue/Beige

Mods:CDV, Rogue Engineering Octane Short Shifter w/ WSR, Rogue Engineering Performance Transmission Mounts, Royal Purple Synchromax Transmission Fluid, GruppeM Filter Ram Charger