Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Steerring Hoses -- detailed photos of replacing all four hoses and reservoir

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by M I C H A E L View Post
    i got one hose from fcpeuro. the other one im just gonna get oem. using a zf resovoir, its bigger but it works... will be doing this very soon.
    you only changing 2 why?
    GearBox Rebuilt at 190K w/ TC & VB Silverline DUO TCU Bluetooth

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by big mike 84 View Post
    you only changing 2 why?
    the other two aren't leaking!!

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    I only replaced the high pressure one. Actually had it rebuilt rather than replaced. I'm sure it will last longer than the car now.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Perfect timing for this thread to be resurrected, I was looking for a good diy...

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Its in the DIY forum...has been for...um....2 years.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    Its in the DIY forum...has been for...um....2 years.
    I need to get my eyes checked. Ive never seen this thread before hahaha

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thDimension View Post
    Perfect timing for this thread to be resurrected, I was looking for a good diy...
    Resurrected again, just like Lt. Ripley

Today my GF came home in my '98 740iL and said "smoke just started coming from under the hood". Oh great. Seems to be PS fluid encountering the left exhaust manifold. Reservoir is low and the fluid looks brownish, too.
    The PS hoses have had the usual seepage since I bought the car over a year ago, so either I need to replace at least one immediately, the pump itself is leaking, or (crossing fingers) there is just a loose connection somewhere. As if I ever get that lucky. Most likely it's the pressure hose, which takes the most beating.
    '98 740iL E38 201k, TCG at 190k, 5HP24 at 195k
    '97 540i/6 E39 Dinan blower & stage 1 suspension 114k
    '93 525i E34 "Golf Ball" (hail damaged) 334k

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport, 69 GTO
    There is a thread here where some guy replaced some hoses with high pressure an fittings, should never leak.
    1969 GTO Warwick Blue/Parchment
    2000 740i Sport 6 speed

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Just replaced my hoses yesterday. Was extremely pleased with how accurate the DIY is and how each step helped me work through removing the hoses and then getting the new ones back in place. Out of curiosity, can the old hoses be rebuilt? Are they worth anything in the core market? If I can make a few bucks selling them maybe it can offset my cost for the new ones.

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Tngearhart View Post
    Just replaced my hoses yesterday. Was extremely pleased with how accurate the DIY is and how each step helped me work through removing the hoses and then getting the new ones back in place. Out of curiosity, can the old hoses be rebuilt? Are they worth anything in the core market? If I can make a few bucks selling them maybe it can offset my cost for the new ones.
    Why would you? Rubber gets old and breaks down .. Leaks.. Certainly wouldn't be any financial gain from it.

My Cars
    98 740i
    I believe I am going to be rereading this thread a lot in the next few months. I hope my hoses holds up until cooler weather this fall.
    GoldSpark, the day to day adventures with my 1998 740i
    "When I grow up I want to be a V12"

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Plik - If you are still getting notifications from this thread, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, MAN !!! outstanding description. Just what I needed to k now.

My Cars
    1999 323i Convertible
    I too had some challenges with the 19 and 22 mm banjo bolts at the steering box. Now when attempting to re-install the new hoses, I'm not able to get the bolt into the correct orientation. The Rein hose has an ever so slightly different angle than the original. Does this appear stripped beyond use to anyone else?

My Cars
    2001 740iL /1991 E32
    I think it will be ok. How does the Banjo bolt thread look? Hopefully using new crush washers on the banjo bolt should prevent any leaks.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740IL
    very useful thread

thanks

My Cars
    '93 740il '84 633Csi
    Great thread. This one combined with another I found on rebuilding the pump seals is really useful. Anyone ever try replacing the hoses with Aeroquip or Earl's for the glam look with AN fittings?
    --Ken
    Last edited by Sansouci; 05-18-2015 at 08:48 PM.

My Cars
    1999 323i Convertible
    Threads on the banjo bolt look just fine. Concerned about any metal shavings making their way in to the steering gear box, considering a thread chaser or tap but space is limited in the engine compartment.

My Cars
    BMW E38 740
    Thank You :-) here is my movie about this work :-) meaby it's help someone :-)

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740 IA MSport,
    So, i'm discover ...and resurrected this thread, me too ....;-))

And thanks , to all the contributors, because , it's the first time , who i really understand what to do , in order to change , this " damneder leaking hoses"...

Thanks a lot, very appreciated

Cheers,
    Chris from France
    " A BMW don't ageing at all, it devellops her caracteristic patina!"

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport, 69 GTO
    There was a posting about replacing the power steering hoses and reservoir with AN fittings. The poster took the old hoses and had new AN lines fitted. Sad part about the BMW parts is that I give them a year before they start leaking again.
    1969 GTO Warwick Blue/Parchment
    2000 740i Sport 6 speed

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by HDIDDY View Post
    There was a posting about replacing the power steering hoses and reservoir with AN fittings. The poster took the old hoses and had new AN lines fitted. Sad part about the BMW parts is that I give them a year before they start leaking again.
    Find a place locally that will rebuild them locally and you'll not have to deal with them again. German material selection is garbage and many OEM parts are junk.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    mcoupe/gtivr6/740il/CC
    Random thought...I have a 740il and I will be deleting the sls when the time comes to get new shocks etc, but could I just replace all the ps hoses and resevoir with 740 parts and delete the sls that way? Sls delete is pretty straight forward but if this is a nice clean alternative I might go this route.
    thoughts?
    A BMW

My Cars
    00 BMW 750
    Quote Originally Posted by fjcp View Post
    Random thought...I have a 740il and I will be deleting the sls when the time comes to get new shocks etc, but could I just replace all the ps hoses and resevoir with 740 parts and delete the sls that way? Sls delete is pretty straight forward but if this is a nice clean alternative I might go this route.
    thoughts?
    Rather than removing all the sls stuff to the extent off changing the hoses and the reservoir, what you should do is loop the SLS line under the drivers floor board and keep everything forward from there. You can remove everything behind the looped line though. It might be cheaper this way, but if you have the money to spend, I don't see why not.

My Cars
    mcoupe/gtivr6/740il/CC
    Tj.... Agreed but I'm tempted to do the whole ps anyway since I've got two small leaks . Two birds with one stone kinda deal. If my ps hoses weren't leaking I would just loop it as you suggested... Question is will the 740i parts otherwise fit fine? Resevoir changed and all I mean

- - - Updated - - -

Could I then change to atf instead of the pentosin? Just thinking out loud really
    A BMW

My Cars
    00 BMW 750
    I believe so, but only if you are changing the hoses. Check realoem just to be sure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast