Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Steerring Hoses -- detailed photos of replacing all four hoses and reservoir

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Quote Originally Posted by plik View Post
    Or, my favorite method is to take my computer monitor and place it squarely on top of a photocopy machine. That's usually how I get printouts of my favorite web pages.

My Cars
    1986 L7, 1983 323i +++
    Do what old school?

Are you talking about printing this thread? If so, just go to the File menu, select Print ....

Or, my favorite method is to take my computer monitor and place it squarely on top of a photocopy machine. That's usually how I get printouts of my favorite web pages.
    NO for, reals, like a file...
    ITS ALIVE

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A 468

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by 323I Junkie View Post
    NO for, reals, like a file...
    Ya, at the top of your web browser you'll see a File menu, that will have a pull-down with many options, one of which will be Print .... And that's it, it'll print it out like any regular ol' document.

Here are some more detailed instructions, http://www.valt.helsinki.fi/kirjasto...tusohje-en.htm

My Cars
    1986 L7, 1983 323i +++

yes that is the kind of file you cna carry in your briefcase. I am looking for one that can be saved on a emmeory stick..without special folding instructions or a paperclip
    ITS ALIVE

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A 468

My Cars
    2008 M5
    Where did you get these prices? Those are really low.
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    I got my stuff at www.autohausaz.com, but also compare prices at www.bavauto.com

My Cars
    2008 M5
    Will do. Was gonna get the OE hoses from the dealer b/c of a contact there, but damn, the prices are wayyyyy higher than where you got them plik. Just the high pressure hose is $200 from them. No thanks! If I can replace all the hoses for $200 then whoohooo!
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    I just replaced all 4 hoses on my 740i. Messy job, but nothing too difficult about it.

One thing to add: if you can't access the banjo bolt that's right next to the exhaust manifold, you can remove the nut on the engine mount and lift the engine slightly with a floor jack. That will give you the necessary clearance to put a socket on that bolt. It takes about 1min to remove the engine mount nut and another minute to raise the engine by the oil pan (but be very careful here - raise it SLOWLY and make sure the entire car is NOT getting lifted by the engine; the oil pan is strong enough to support the weight of the engine, but not strong enough to support the weight of the entire car; also, make sure you're NOT lifting it so high that the engine fan blades are hitting the plastic fan shroud).

Note: I didn't invent this trick - I got it from a post on bimmerboard. It works great! I don't know how else I would've been able to access that bolt with enough leverage that I can undo it. It required A LOT of strength to undo even with a socket firmly on top of it.

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Also, it should be noted that the ETK/realoem diagram is wrong about the position of the hoses connecting to the cooler: it shows the hose from the reservoir on top, but in reality the hose that goes from the cooler to the steering box is on top and the one that goes from the reservoir to the cooler is at the bottom, as shown here by plik's picture (and don't forget that those attachments pictured below have rubber o-rings that you need to put on the new hoses!):

My Cars
    '00 750IL 03/99,98 Honda F4
    Good job plik! And great supporting info from all. Guess I have to check for leaks now.

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    GREAT POST!!! I love these kinds of instructions, so easy to follow, excellent job!!!

BMW 7er Website www.7er.com
    1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///

My Cars
    94 bmw 740il, 98 lincoln navigator, 85 mazda rx7
    thanks very much for this thread

My Cars
    '96 Suburban 454
    Great post. I have the leakage from the hoseage. OK, how the heck do I tell if I have self-leveling suspension? 2001 740iL......
    Never mind. Search is my friend.
    Last edited by gspdave45; 06-09-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    To have patience where one can have patience is not real patience...
    But to have patience where it is intolerable, then this is real patience.

My Cars
    00 740i S,08 CRV,95
    +1 for thanks for the great post. I read this one a while back and it helped me find my link in the high pressure to box hose. Bought all four hoses, reservior, cap, seal and all the seals from Pelican Parts for the same price the Stealer wanted for just the one high pressure hose.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740i (street car)
    Thanks for the post. The pictures help out a lot and the parts list was invaluable.

Jim

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR

power steering hose replacement: 3 outta 4 ain't bad?

well i finally replaced those doggone hoses. thanks to plik for the divine instructions! i also looked at some found on e38.org.

just wanted to share a couple of comments:
    * - i had major difficulty just getting my tools into position to loosen a few of these bolts. i consider myself kinda handy with tools & figured it would take a lil longer than the estimated 4 hours... mine took about twice that

(mind you, i did take several breaks just to make sure i was doing everything right, knowing where each part went as well as inspecting each hose to see which was the leak source; & the usual, family "interruptions".)

* one of the main difficulties i had was removing the 22mm bolt on the steering box to cooling coil hose & the 19mm bolt on the power steering pump to steering box hose.

i simply could not get enough spacing on either (regardless of any attachment used) to get more than a 1/10 to maybe 1/16th of a turn at a time. getting the hoses back on with those bolts was ridiculous. i ended getting my wife to fit it in the hole & begin turning it. my fingers simply could not fit into that small gap & turn the bolt while keeping the washers intact.

* the other problem was i could not remove the steering box to cooling coil hose. plik (rightly so) suggested removing this bolt below which would allow the hose to be removed. i could not get the bolt to loosen. when i finally did get a good turn on it from below, the entire bolt head (below) & nut on top moved together. sooooooo... i left the hose in place hoping that the 3 of 4 hoses i replaced would take care of the leaks.

i think it worked. after putting everything back together & taking it for a test drive. there was no leaking fluid nor any puddle or even drops formed underneath it the next day.

not sure if u should return the hose & get my $50 back or keep it in case that hose does go bad soon. it seems to me the most frequently replaced hose is the expensive one, the power steering pump to steering box hose. mine seemed like it was leaking when i removed it. it was kinda grimy & greasy.

anyway, i'm glad i did the work myself. i spent a total of $215 on the hoses alone & easily could have spent more than that on just the power steering pump to steering box hose (i think ~$250 from dealer?). now i can buy the kid's christmas presents this year! lol!

kahlil

My Cars
    1995 740i BMW
    LMAO!!!!!! that's a good one. Im thinkin about replacing the hoses too cuz i noticed that i have a p/s leak but im a little scared to do it myself. I like all the pix you posted so i will try to follow the steps you took. quick question tho? how does a banjo bolt look like? (im a new DIYer but i wanna learn how to do it properly)

My Cars
    04 M3, 01 740, 99 740
    I wanted to thank you for this post. It helped me do the job myself on my 99 740il. The primary reason for my doing it was a significant leak from the pressure hose. Although I changed all 4 while I was at it. I find the steering to have a somewhat firmer feel to it now. Does that make sense?

My Cars
    e38, 72c10, 67tr4a
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmillenIII View Post
    I wanted to thank you for this post. It helped me do the job myself on my 99 740il. The primary reason for my doing it was a significant leak from the pressure hose. Although I changed all 4 while I was at it. I find the steering to have a somewhat firmer feel to it now. Does that make sense?
    wow, zombie thread!! i also used this last year when i did mine....great info. my steering feel improved greatly after i changed all 4 of mine as well.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Ima cut n chop this into a DIY thread.

Any other input before I do?
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Go for it!

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Nothing else needs added?

I cant think of everything. Obviously the prices are wrong.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    99 740il, e21
    thanks man, will come in handy i got to change the hoses on mine too! Should try and get it on e38.org so it doesnt get lost

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    Nothing else needs added?

I cant think of everything. Obviously the prices are wrong.
    must be aftermarket but good write up tho

- - - Updated - - -

anybody used cheap PS hoses ?
    GearBox Rebuilt at 190K w/ TC & VB Silverline DUO TCU Bluetooth

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    i got one hose from fcpeuro. the other one im just gonna get oem. using a zf resovoir, its bigger but it works... will be doing this very soon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast