Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Power Steerring Hoses -- detailed photos of replacing all four hoses and reservoir

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by mooll View Post
    also, i replaced my trans lines with new oem bmw and one is leaking a tad bit already after just 1k miles.
    good thing for FCP, but i'd like to see if these can be rebuilt as well like the p/s hoses so i don't have to worry about them again or go through the hassle of returning old ones and installing new ones.
    Of course.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    1998 740iL, 2000 A6
    I hate to ask this but will this write up work for a e38 with SLS? I tried to read all the way through but did not see one way or the other. I cannot afford to do the reart shocks yet so was hoping to do the PS leak first and shocks late on. Any help will be very much appreciated.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
    Find a place locally that will rebuild them locally and you'll not have to deal with them again. German material selection is garbage and many OEM parts are junk.
    Same here, on the 450 the replacement hose did not fit right, it could not hold the curve of the bent, it was collapsing in the middle... had to go to an hydraulic place, gave the fellow some lunch and beer money.

Now that the HP hose is oozing on the 740, I will probably do the same, especially at $267, I can buy a 12 pack and spare ribs
    Last edited by letank; 03-26-2017 at 08:41 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm doing the PS hose replacement. Does anyone know if the return hose, 24mm bolt (M18), p/n: 32411117183, should be torqued or not? I read from somewhere it is 45nm, but I'm not sure. Can anyone verify this? Someone mentioned torque specs for the two banjo bolts that attach to the power steering box, but not the power steering pump. The high pressure hose bolt to the pump 19mm M14 p/n: 32416852469 is also confusing me. The same source I read also said 39nm for this bolt, so is this correct? To sum it up, does the 24mm (M18) bolt need to be torqued to 45nm or torqued at all, and does the 19mm (M14) need to be torqued at 39nm or torqued at all? Do either of these two bolts going the power steering pump need to be torqued? If they do need to be torqued, can someone tell me what torque values for each bolt? Much appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Quote Originally Posted by arorakevin View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm doing the PS hose replacement. Does anyone know if the return hose, 24mm bolt (M18), p/n: 32411117183, should be torqued or not? I read from somewhere it is 45nm, but I'm not sure. Can anyone verify this? Someone mentioned torque specs for the two banjo bolts that attach to the power steering box, but not the power steering pump. The high pressure hose bolt to the pump 19mm M14 p/n: 32416852469 is also confusing me. The same source I read also said 39nm for this bolt, so is this correct? To sum it up, does the 24mm (M18) bolt need to be torqued to 45nm or torqued at all, and does the 19mm (M14) need to be torqued at 39nm or torqued at all? Do either of these two bolts going the power steering pump need to be torqued? If they do need to be torqued, can someone tell me what torque values for each bolt? Much appreciated. Thanks.
    See 3AZ: http://files.psjr.org/AZD/AZD%2032%2...l%20Supply.pdf
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Could you please tell me; was there any problems with routing the new hoses to their respective connection points? Any trick to doing this? Do the old hoses just pull right out? Is wobble adapter a slang term, or the actual term for this tool? Wish there was a video of this procedure.....any thing out there? Thanks for your excellent documentation in helping others.

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Am I a complete buffoon? Why can't I get the not heat shielded hose in the right location to fit? Literally, I've been struggling with this for an hour lol

Quote Originally Posted by MouldyPlace View Post
    I too had some challenges with the 19 and 22 mm banjo bolts at the steering box. Now when attempting to re-install the new hoses, I'm not able to get the bolt into the correct orientation. The Rein hose has an ever so slightly different angle than the original. Does this appear stripped beyond use to anyone else?
    Last edited by jjc034; 11-29-2018 at 07:41 PM.

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Well the issue is that this Damn rein hose is thicker than OEM and won't fit behind the bolt and chassis - any ideas?

Solution: had to back off bolt below

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jjc034; 11-29-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Found solution

My Cars
    E46, E53, E60, E92
    thank you for posting this DIY

did this repair last night. ran into the same issues as a lot of people that posted on here.

first, my engine mounts were worn, was unable to get a good angle on the steering box. the engine was sitting in a way that it was impossible to get the socket on. I had to lift the engine up with a jack a little bit to get the socket on it. (new engine mounts on order)

next, had a frustrating time removing old and routing new hoses to the steering box. I did not see the post about removing one of the bolts to remove the second hose to the steering box. once I did that it slid right out. guess i should have read and reread the DIY before starting. would have saved me a lot of frustration. also was a PITA to route the new hose due to the angle. messed with it for approx 30 min, couldnt get it. took a break, tried again and it went right on.

my rein hoses came with crush washers and o-rings needed for install

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Scholder View Post
    Could you please tell me; was there any problems with routing the new hoses to their respective connection points? Any trick to doing this? Do the old hoses just pull right out? Is wobble adapter a slang term, or the actual term for this tool? Wish there was a video of this procedure.....any thing out there? Thanks for your excellent documentation in helping others.
    Universal joint = swivel joint = universal joint socket swivel drive = thingy

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Excellent post. My only addition is that it took three tries to finally lift the engine so I could put a socket over the 19mm bolt. Seems that after so many years, the engine is really seated on the engine mount and takes a few tries to separate them. Did not have to use a socket driver first. A 19mm 3/8 short socket followed by a 3/8 swivel joint followed by a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter followed by a two foot extension driven by a breaker bar took care of it.
    Last edited by Old525i; 06-19-2019 at 11:30 PM.

My Cars
    1998 740IL
    I have a 1998 740IL and the hose PN 32411093929 is leaking bad. I liked your posting instructions, but it does not seem to help me with replacing that hose. I cannot figure out how to access it where it attaches to the steering box. It's a very difficult spot to access. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 1998 740IL (E38). I have not been able to figure out how to access the hose
    PN 32411093929 . It connects the steering pump to the steering box. The end on the pump is easy to access, but the end on the steering box is very difficult to get to. Any ideas or pictures to help me? It does not seem to match your pictures on this posting.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    For the power steering hoses, all the banjo bolts should be easy to get to but you'll need to lift the engine a little to get them out. It's tight

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Reviving a dead thread but thanks for the info and photos. Replaced all 4 lines earlier today on my 01 sporty shorty in conjunction with a few other diy guides and videos. Decided to clean the under belly at the same time so the whole job took me about 6 hours.

Thank you very much for this write up.. I got stuck with that last hose too.

- - - Updated - - -

Well done! I’m working on Shorty too.. Biarritz Blue on grey leather interior sport trim

My indi just did essentially this job. Now I know why cost $967! Good job!!

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    A decade on the rebuilt hose and still not a drop.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234